• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Doesn't Feature Xbox Series X/S-Style Quick Resume Game Swapping (Gamespot)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

PS5 Doesn't Feature Xbox Series X/S-Style Quick Resume Game Swapping
At least at launch, you'll need to boot up your games from scratch when jumping from one to another.
By Chris Pereira on November 6, 2020 at 5:00AM PST

One of the big features that Microsoft has touted with Xbox Series X and Series S is Quick Resume, allowing you to bounce back and forth between multiple games without having to exit one and boot up the next one from scratch. If you were hoping the NVMe SSD that the PlayStation 5 is equipped with would allow for something similar, you're out of luck: Quick Resume doesn't exist on PS5, at least at launch.

When you're playing a game on PS5 and switch to another one, you'll have to exit out of your current game and start a cold boot on the next one. Fortunately, the speed of the PS5's SSD does mean that starting up a game that isn't running is much faster than what we're generally accustomed to on current-generation consoles. However, the ability to essentially be playing multiple games at once doesn't exist. That means you'll need to find a save point in, say, Demon's Souls if you don't want to lose any progress when you decide to join your friends for a match of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

It's possible that Sony could implement a Quick Resume-style feature at a later time, but for now you'll need to deal with a slightly more traditional setup when it comes to juggling multiple games.

Another point of differentiation between PS5 and Xbox Series X/S is that the latter allow next-gen games to be stored on an external drive. You'll need to then move them to the system's internal SSD or expansion card in order to play next-gen games (backwards-compatible games can run off an external drive). On PS5, next-gen games can only be downloaded to the internal SSD (although, again, you can play PS4 games off an external drive).

kretos

Banned
michael-richards-oh-no.gif

shame really for Sony.

MS got load speed advantage for BC titles without quick resume already and for new gen titles all they have had to do is offer this quick resume to skip loading screens once you load the game initially. MS solution is best so far.

After

12tf
Most powerful console
Halo infinite best looking game ever
Bc is king on xbox
Only xbox does RT
Only Xbox has RDNA2

It's now coming down a pretty pointless feature in the realms of consoles as the defining factor to buy an XSX?

These mother fucking new consoles have SSDs that reduce load times and lazy cunts can't be arsed to wait between closing a game and opening a new one?

Jesus christ.

bender

What time is it?
It's a neat feature but I'm assuming the storage reserve is hefty and that would take PS5's usable space from disappointing to dismal.

cormack12

Gold Member
I would use this more than cards tbh. I like being able to switch or stop playing like at half time in PES, just before a boss in Souls or just quickly shut the machine done before nipping out.

Im sure other people prefer cards but just being able to quick resume one extra title in addition to suspend/resume would be nice. Also makes me wonder why the OS is so bloated.

Eternal21

These mother fucking new consoles have SSDs that reduce load times and lazy cunts can't be arsed to wait between closing a game and opening a new one?

It's more than just waiting between closing and opening games. The major advantage of quick resume is that you are no longer tied to a game's checkpoint system. I've beaten the entire The Last of Us campaign and only saw the title screen once. I would play as long as I wanted, and simply put the PS4 in rest mode when I was done. I wish I could do it for at least 2 games as I tend to play one hard game (like Spelunky 2) and one easy game (like The Last of Us) at the same time to take a break from the hard one. I was sure Sony would give us quick resume for multiple games, but it looks like only MS got this right next gen.

Infamy v1

qI6AHXm.jpg

I like how people quote Matt like it had any credence. He used to be a massive Sony fanboy and toned it down since joining Era and becoming a mod. Just because he pretends to be impartial it's still painfully obvious.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The quick resume is a cool feature and all, but who really plays 6 games at the same time? Also, couldn’t that feature be patched in later on the PS5?
Lots of people?

I usually have somewhere between 4-6 games I'm juggling at once, so I can keep things consistently fresh and interesting. Though, not always on the same system these days.

NullZ3r0

Banned
After

12tf
Most powerful console
Halo infinite best looking game ever
Bc is king on xbox
Only xbox does RT
Only Xbox has RDNA2

It's now coming down a pretty pointless feature in the realms of consoles as the defining factor to buy an XSX?

Jesus christ.
Quick resume isn't just loading the game fast. That's what people keep misunderstanding. It means I can shut my Xbox off in the middle of a game and start right back where I left off. The same exact place. No check point (if supported).

Kokoloko85

Its something I wanted alot.
That and custom folders.
Im hoping cards will do something similar but really wanted quick resume especially for the older titles

But let me edit this. Its not gonna stop me enjoying my PS5 and instead buy a console that has no next gen games for awhile lmao.
Xbox fans taking this as a victory need to chill

Last edited:
I would use this more than cards tbh. I like being able to switch or stop playing like at half time in PES, just before a boss in Souls or just quickly shut the machine done before nipping out.

Im sure other people prefer cards but just being able to quick resume one extra title in addition to suspend/resume would be nice. Also makes me wonder why the OS is so bloated.

Exactly its just ignorance and dismissal because their plastic doesn't have this slick feature. You and I know shit would be different if it was the other way around..denial is disgusting but its only coming from Sonys paid "the usuals" elite Frontline.

This thing is awesome as I usually rock 3-4 gms in the mix, nba,AC,WD..later CyberPunk..looking forward to this one without booting any logos/loading start menus..so sick 🙉

One day to go fellaz!!!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"doesn't matter. The only thing that matters are cinematic games."

Seriously though. Didn't we have a similar thread? I'm truly surprised how many things Sony has got wrong this next gen while being the big winner this gen. Truly looks like it will change every generation like some predicted.

Luckily for Sony, they got some hardcore disciples who will without a doubt defend this as a good thing. Just like the hard drive thing in the other thread.

Remember Bethesda was good before Microsoft bought them? They became instant trash after the news.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't care too much about quick resume for multiple games, but the fact that it essentially saves the game at the exact spot you quit playing and retains it even if you completely turn the console off is awesome.

Some games have save points or checkpoints that take to long to get to when you want or need to quit playing. I really like that I can quit whenever I want.

Keihart

I've been complaining about it since i found out, so it is a big deal for me. Also LMAO at "but switcher" as if that option actually does anything, it's probably a place holder for when the console finally does quick resume in a couple of years but right now it only does nothing.

I find suspend and resume to be one of the most convenient features in consoles, it used to be only available in portable but when it was implemented in home consoles too it was a game changer for friction starting a game and the improvements done in Xbox Series X look amazing, now you don't even have to keep the console powered up and you can use it in more than one game? fucking amazing.

Last edited:
There goes my dream of playing five games at the same time.
It's not for playing multiple games at the same time though, it's for switching between the games you currently play without being hindered by minutes of waiting for every game to fully load up and be ready to go.

No need to try and downplay what is a good thing. Isn't that the whole point of messaging with the PS5 SSD being ultra fast? Less waiting and more playing?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I don't care too much about quick resume for multiple games, but the fact that it essentially saves the game at the exact spot you quit playing and retains it even if you completely turn the console off is awesome.

Some games have save points or checkpoints that take to long to get to when you want or need to quit playing. I really like that I can quit whenever I want.
Pretty huge for me. My 3 year old is always trying to murder the dog. Can't always wait to get to safe spot to save a game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The quick resume is a cool feature and all, but who really plays 6 games at the same time? Also, couldn’t that feature be patched in later on the PS5?

Itll be a cool feature when it gets patched in for PS5.....but while its a Series features its utter trash and useless right?

A simple use case is when you are playing a single player game then get an invite from a friend for some MP game.

You can accept that request have your fun in MP, then when you are finished shutdown the console and go out drinking to celebrate the victory.

When you turn your console on and boot back into that singleplayer game, youll be right where you left off.

I usually only play two or three games at any one time.
One is usually my MP shooter, an adventure/action game and my stress reliever like simple racing game or Geometry Wars.
So quick resume would be perfect for me.

P.S Custom Activity Cards are sure to be a thing before the end of year one.....I wouldnt worry too much about it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
In b4 "but the cards..."
People seem to think that the cards can just act the same as quick resume for some reason lol. They don't seem to understand that the devs have to pre-make the cards, so there's not going to be a "jump straight back to 3m 35s in the 4th race of a 7 race championship with the F40 on Le Mans" card, whereas you can resume exactly there if that's where you left on the Xbox. Also people expecting to just be able to jump straight to every boss fight and big event in a single player game, how do you expect that to work if you're not even up to that bit in the game?

M_A_C

It's not for playing multiple games at the same time though, it's for switching between the games you currently play without being hindered by minutes of waiting for every game to fully load up and be ready to go.

No need to try and downplay what is a good thing. Isn't that the whole point of messaging with the PS5 SSD being ultra fast? Less waiting and more playing?

Minutes of waiting for a game to load on PS5??? lmao

MrFunSocks

Banned
qI6AHXm.jpg

lol yet another of Matt the "insider"'s pointless non-descript nothing statements. Reminder - he's not a dev. He doesn't work for anyone that would know any of these things. He's a community manager type role. "it's coming at some point"........great, so next month? 6 months? 12 months? 2 years?

He's about as much of an insider as you and I.

If a disc guy none of this matters lol
If you think none of this matters just because you have a disc then you don't understand what this is lol.

Last edited:

Gormond

Neo Member
When listening to the latest Spawncast Jon (who generally favours Xbox) mentions that it's actually pretty buggy and if he had the option of disabling it to save space he would.

reinking

Gold Member
Sucks for those that use this feature but this has been posted several times. Not really going to shock anyone but it will stir up team green if that is what you are going for. Frankly, with the smaller storage I would prefer to keep that space available on the SSD.

When listening to the latest Spawncast Jon (who generally favours Xbox) mentions that it's actually pretty buggy and if he had the option of disabling it to save space he would.

It was actually glitching in this weeks ign podcast unlocked demonstration also but that might get patched on release day.

Quezacolt

It's a cool feature, but honestly, not needed, nor it would make me choose a console based on it's inclusion or not. Besides, the ssd space hit is too large and these consoles will have it premium. I wish the xbox series x/s allowed us to deactivate the feature so we could get the space back tbh.

mortal

Gold Member
Is this really a deal breaker for some of you? Considering just how impressively quick the cold boot loading times already are on PS5?

It's an awesome feature and shame it's not available, but it's also very plausible it could become a feature at a later point through firmware update.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Is this really a deal breaker for some of you? Considering just how impressively quick the cold boot loading times already are on PS5?

It's an awesome feature and shame it's not available, but it's also very plausible it could become a feature at a later point through firmware update.
Cold boot has nothing to do with why this is a great feature.

I don't care how quickly a game boots, I care about being able to turn off a game at literally any time without having to worry about save points or anything like that, and being able to come back directly to that exact second later on. That's a huge feature. Cold boot being fast is irrelevant. You'll still have to re-do that entire mission that you were at the end of without quick resume. You'll still have to start that boss fight again without quick resume.

Fast cold boot != quick resume.

Top Bottom