• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 digital edition not releasing in the middle east (and possible more regions).

Kadve

https://twistedvoxel.com/sony-is-not-releasing-ps5-digital-edition-in-certain-regions/

PS5 will come in two different versions. One is the Digital Edition that is cheaper at $399 while the other is a Disc Edition that will be sold for $499. Both of these consoles are confirmed for major markets like the United States, UK, Europe, and Japan. It will be released there on November 12 while the rest of the world will get it on November 19.

This is not the case for the Middle East and possibly other smaller regions where the download speed is slower. Sony is only offering the Disc Edition of the console in the Middle East. This can be seen with a major retailer GeekayGames who is currently offering a pre-order of the PS5 Disc Edition for 2099 AED. It is also confirmed through an official tweet by PlayStation Arabia.

Sultan711

Neo Member
This is actually highly inaccurate. Stock in Saudi Arabia for the digital edition is very low and it will release on November 19th. They’re just not doing any pre-orders for it. Modern Electronics are the ones handling the distribution of Sony products in Saudi Arabia.

TyNOTtj.png

turtlepowa

Banned
I think they don't have that much DEs anyways. Perhaps they just wanted to have that advantage on paper, but are not willing to take so much losses.3

FranXico

Lack of demand, I would guess. Hardly anybody wants the XSS either.
I called it a while back. Consumers aren't stupid, they know that by not having a disc drive, you lose too much.

Birdo

Banned
Makes sense. Digital games don't fall off the back of a truck.

Disclaimer: This is just a joke referencing the bootleg markets that we hear about in some countries. Which may or may not be true.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
This is not the case for the Middle East and possibly other smaller regions where the download speed is slower.
Great analysis bro.

Most of the world isn't ready for the digital-only model. I also happen to live in a country just over the size of New Jersey and have local data centers (Microsoft, Google) and uncapped internet at ludicrous speed.

JLB

Banned
Lack of demand, I would guess. Hardly anybody wants the XSS either.
I called it a while back. Consumers aren't stupid, they know that by not having a disc drive, you lose too much.

aha, so all pc gamers are stupid by that metric.

Leopold

In Israel we apparently we'll have small supplies but the official channel said they will have enough. 2499 NIS for the regular, 1999 for the digital.

jigglet

Banned
That's weird. Wouldn't a digital only console be easier to control by these strict countries, and thus the only ones approved for release? I know if I were a totalitarian whackjob, the digital version is the only one that would see the light of day.

GHG

Gold Member
That's not what the tweet says...

The reality is that no pre-orders have been made available for the digital version and if it does make it here there will be limited supply at launch.

I would have thought internet speed in the middle East would have been pretty decent

Depends on where you are, as it is everywhere with Internet access.

Last edited:
Top Bottom