• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Crashes & Artifacting More Widespread Than Previously Expected

"PS5 owners are experiencing widespread graphical issues rendering their consoles useless, and the only fix is to return or exchange their PlayStation.

Sony's current-gen console seems to come with a few unsolicited issues, one of which causes graphical artifacting, green screen errors, and can even cause the PlayStation 5 to crash. These issues are more common on PC's due to overclocking the computer's GPU, but a console such as the PS5 should not be experiencing these types of issues.

Gamers have reported an unprecedented number of software and hardware issues with their PS5s after having launched less than a week ago, ranging from minor annoyances to system-breaking bugs. Players have reported PS5 Dualsense controllers not charging when the console is in rest mode, slower physical physical games installation when connected to the internet for some reason, and a larger issue that froze game downloads indefinitely, the lattermost of which was thankfully addressed in a recent update. These are a few of the various inconveniences that have come with the PS5 free of charge, and the laundry list of issues keeps growing.

bender

What time is it?
...unprecedented number of software and hardware issues...

Cites three examples.

giphy.gif

assurdum

Banned
Something is missing, such news it feels incomplete. They also should report series X runs more stable in RT mode on COD, ps5 is caught off the guard and 36 CUs will be problematic with raytracing for ps5 users.

Screenrant's proof is anecdotal tweets?!? Going buy that low level of proof, the Series X must be in meltdown. I just did a quick twitter search and easily found numerous people complaining of Series X crashes. If Screenrant is going to make that kind of accusation, they at least have to make a stab at statistical analysis or an (un)official comment.

SD9ODjC.png

Screenrant's proof is anecdotal tweets?!? Going buy that low level of proof, the Series X must be in meltdown. I just did a quick twitter search and easily found numerous people complaining of Series X crashes. If Screenrant is going to make that kind of accusation, they at least have to make a stab at statistical analysis or an (un)official comment.

SD9ODjC.png
Wonder if/when this will be blamed on AMD instead of Sony/MS? Although it does seem Sony has much more issues with ps5 than MS has with XSX.

Wonder if/when this will be blamed on AMD instead of Sony/MS? Although it does seem Sony has much more issues with ps5 than MS has with XSX.
You took away the wrong thing from my comment. We have no idea if this is any different than any other launch. You'd have to do a statistical comparison or get word from a source who would know to be sure. Social media has greater use now, so it is definitely amplifying any problems that people are having due to greater visibility. For reference, here are some headlines from the PS4/XB1 launch, so is this launch really any different?

Paulxo87

Ps4 did not have this many issues within two weeks of launch. I have experienced tons of issues with ps5 already. Random restarts/ hard crashes. Freezing. You name it. There are significant problems on a widespread basis and some people want to laugh it off and be in denial about it.

Kagey K

Banned
Ps4 did not have this many issues within two weeks of launch. I have experienced tons of issues with ps5 already. Random restarts/ hard crashes. Freezing. You name it. There are significant problems on a widespread basis and some people want to laugh it off and be in denial about it.
It’s all FUD.

Real problems aren’t real.

This is the M-O right now.

Nobody seems to want to actually help people solve issues with thier systems, they just accuse everyone of trolling instead.

Paulxo87

It’s all FUD.

Real problems aren’t real.

This is the M-O right now.

Nobody seems to want to actually help people solve issues with thier systems, they just accuse everyone of trolling instead.

I said what I said literally as a Sony fanboy of 25+ years. I have experienced all these issues first hand and everywhere I look online everyone is complaining of many of the same issues. Smoke = fire and there is enough smoke to make smokey the bear blush

Kagey K

Banned
I said what I said literally as a Sony fanboy of 25+ years. I have experienced all these issues first hand and everywhere I look online everyone is complaining of many of the same issues. Smoke = fire and there is enough smoke to make smokey the bear blush
I believe you.

If I had kept a PS5 I would try to help you, but I’d be useless trying to help troubleshoot a UI I used for less than 5 mins.

People are so busy trying to pretend there are no fires, they aren’t looking at where the fires are starting, and trying to help put them out at the source.

Paulxo87

I believe you.

If I had kept a PS5 I would try to help you, but I’d be useless trying to help troubleshoot a UI I used for less than 5 mins.

People are so busy trying to pretend there are no fires, they aren’t looking at where the fires are starting, and trying to help put them out at the source.

There is nothing to troubleshoot. These are mainly software related bugs.

Past console launches in a normal world have seen the consoles out in the wild for a few months prior to launch in the hands of many. Issues come up and are worked out/solved ahead of launch. PS5 did not have this luxury thus we are the beta testers. All will be worked out in time I'm sure

NEbeast

I don't even 360 showed as many failures as ps5 in the first month, or even days for that matter. Hopefully AMD and Sony can fix this quick, as this can be possibly fixed, before it gets much worse.

What a load of shit, didn't you say your ps5 was melting your wires yesterday? Keep trying though, something will stick. Both ps5 and SX have had reports of artifacts, so how can it be because it's over locked?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Still curious such more issues on ps5 hardware have been reported accurately more to the Xbox fans. That's admirable how care so much to their rivals. We need to take more example by them

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Still curious such more issues on ps5 hardware have been reported accurately more to the Xbox fans. That's admirable how care so much to their rivals. We need to take more example by them
Or maybe, they aren’t turning a blind eye to it and looking at it with a more sceptical eye.

That’s a possibility....🤷‍♂️

Seems that PS fans are reporting lots of Xbox problems. I assume you hold them under the same lens.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Or maybe, they aren’t turning a blind eye to it and looking at it with a more sceptical eye.

That’s a possibility....🤷‍♂️

Seems that PS fans are reporting lots of Xbox problems. I assume you hold them under the same lens.
Really? How many Sony sites lately has reported hardware failure rate on Xbox compared to the counterpart? Can you mention to me if it exists the Tom Warren in the Sony side?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Never heard of screenrant but Im rather amused by the people crying "fud" who just happen to be the same ones concern trolling the xsx "toasty" comment and vape videos.
No one crying fud for the issue, it's incredibly how deliberately obtuse you are just to favour your antagonism for a piece of plastic and it's not the first time you did it . Now claims is a widespread issue, that smell of fud. But sure put a lol gif if make you feel better.

Last edited:

SD9ODjC.png
"Games Journalism" in 2020.

All_Might

While there are problems like with every launch, this article is a very bad example of journalism. They use words like “unprecedented” and don’t even provide a number ? How can we know then what the number of problems weigh in terms of relativity, is it worse then 360 or PS3 ? This article seems very unscientific and more based on what they read on social media. Early adoption of a new console always comes with problems, it wasn’t different last gen or any gen before that. This doesn’t mean we should give Sony nor Microsoft a free pass, but at least some time to fix their problems.

REDRZA MWS

Nobody will believe you OP. Their was a thread about a guy who returned his series x because of “black screen”, instead of just doing research or has to do with the external SSD ass on, which MS had already said they are fixing in a very near firmware update.

anything positive against MS here is absolutely shit on no matter what, and So y can do no wrong.

TimFL

Only issues I had were 2 DB corrupt prompts that wanted me to rebuild the DB (cause I probably forced license restoration too soon after setting up) and one hard crash where the console turned off immediately during Miles Morales and refused to turn on after that until I unplugged the power cord. After that it‘s been smooth sailing (Fr - Mo).

I don‘t count game crashes as console issues because I also had quite a few of them on older consoles (and I only had 2 game crashes so far).

Last edited:
Only issues I had were 2 DB corrupt prompts that wanted me to rebuild the DB (cause I probably forced license restoration too soon after setting up) and one hard crash where the console turned off immediately during Miles Morales and refused to turn on after that until I unplugged the power cord. After that it‘s been smooth sailing (Fr - Mo).

I don‘t count game crashes as console issues because I also had quite a few of them on older consoles (and I only had 2 game crashes so far).
Doesn't sound too bad. It happens on my PS4 from time to time and I get weird glitches where my TV will go black screen for a few seconds.

Murdoch

Easy allies highlighted system issues on their latest podcast across the board. If we stop blind arguing for either system, just maybe we can get clarity on how prevalant the issue is.

DonJorginho

Banned
I have only had 3 issues with my console so far.

1 was my Miles Morales deleting itself for no reason.

2 was a soft crash in Miles Morales which was a simple closing and reopening game.

3 was a hard crash where due to MM deciding to update whilst I was playing it hard froze with the audio still playing and it would move forward for a few seconds then freeze again with the audio playing in a loop before completing stopping, I waited 20 minutes but nothing worked, holding down the power button, pressing it, holding down the ps button, so I had to pull the plug and rebuild the database.

I also have minor coil whine.

Not a perfect system but luckily no artifacting or anything serious as my one hard crash could have been avoided by updating the game before playing.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not clicking this shit, but what does

Gamers have reported an unprecedented number of software and hardware issues with their PS5s after having launched less than a week ago,

even mean? Literally speaking 1 issue with a single PS5 would be 'unprecedented' as there is no precedence for PS5s. If they are referring to the PS5 relative to other consoles, where are the statistics backing such a statement up?

John Wick

I don't even 360 showed as many failures as ps5 in the first month, or even days for that matter. Hopefully AMD and Sony can fix this quick, as this can be possibly fixed, before it gets much worse.
WTF are you on about? Provide the figures to back up your stupidity?
When the 360 launched social media was nothing like what it is now. 360 probably only launched a fraction of the consoles PS5 has launched. 3% is the industry standard. So can you provide 30000 failed consoles for every million?

Top Bottom