• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 cost $500 - $600?

Will you get a PS5 at $499-$599

• Day One Baby, need the true next gen console experience

Votes: 62 44.0%
  • Powah of SSD, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls Remake, Day One

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • I am a parent, my kid needs a new console, Xbox is cheaper at $299, i think I will get him that

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • This ain't going to end well for Sony, arrogant Sony is back at it

Votes: 54 38.3%
  • $500-$600 ain't all that bad, club PS Now with PS Plus and I am all in

Votes: 11 7.8%

• Total voters

Papacheeks

Banned
I think it's time we face ground reality on the subject surrounding PS5 Price. Bloomberg's initial reports suggested Sony's struggling to keep the manufacturing costs low due to exotic SSD and cooling solutions. PS5 is rumored to costs $450-$470 to manufacture. A $549 price point doesn't sound unreasonable. But unfortunately MS has made it clear they won't be beaten on the price/performance this time around. A $449/$549 for DE and Physical Edition seems highly plausible. If these are indeed revealed to be the actual price points, would that bode well for Sony? Can they see themselves selling those supposed 10 million first wave of production units? Sure at launch day/week the PS5 would be sold out, but in the long run wouldn't these prices hurt them?

That number for BOM which was I believe $450? Was a while back and one of the reasons they changed their projections for output to 10 Million by end of Fiscal is to get higher volume pricing. So probably they will lose money on the system at 499 but I have to believe its close to their loss on base PS4 when that launched.

PS5DE thats another story, if they price it at $399 to be aggressive they are for sure losing a lot on each sold. But making it back up with pure digital purchases of games and service.

Bryank75

Banned
Hvdd0AZ.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is the SSD that much more expensive to possibly bump this past $499? I’m guessing $499 but I don’t know about how much SSDs cost.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think if the people who launched the PS4 were still in charge at Sony you'd have a system equal to or slightly more powerful than the Series X selling for the same price. But since they're not we're getting a weaker system that will cost more because fuck you we're Sony.

Is the SSD that much more expensive to possibly bump this past $499? I’m guessing $499 but I don’t know about how much SSDs cost.

It's the SSD and the elaborate cooling system.

A normal 1TB NMVe SSD is $100-$150 but Sony's is a custom made one that doesn't have a normal PC equivalent.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It's the SSD (and its controller, which some rumors have said might be using a Cell processor) and the elaborate cooling system.

Thanks for the explanation. I forgot about the controller and cooling system. It will be interesting to see if that pushes it to $600.

I still think the PS5 price is going to be in line with Xbox Series X. I doubt Sony is going to sell us a $600 console again. I'll wait for Sony to make an official announcement before jumping on the $600 train.

Allforce

I don't really care if it's 499 or 599 but releasing higher than the Series X will just be disastrous optics for them. They can spin it all they want but it'll basically tilt the scales again back to the 360/PS3 days.

There has to be someone there with some sense to realize this. At 499 they dominate another generation, at 599 they let Microsoft back into the race.

mortal

Gold Member
Why would Sony sell it for $600? They would struggle to compete at that price point so it doest make any sense.

It's going to be $500 for the PS5 and anywhere between $400-$450 for the PS5 Digital.

Also what's up with those polling options? lol

Last edited:
Well i payed 599 for a ps3 in fucking 06 soo price has absolutely no effect on me. Its gonna be day one regardless always has been with playstation.

Tqaulity

Why do folks think a less powerful console will be more expensive?
Ok first there is more that goes into cost than just the "power" of the main processing components. Other parts and material costs also factor in.

Second, there is still so much we don't know about the PS5. There are rumors of whole components that haven't been revealed (for whatever reason), we still haven't see the back of the console for the ports etc. There maybe more to the cost than what we are aware of now.

That said, from what we do know it is clear that Sony is taking a more wholistic approach to pushing virtually all aspects of the system to premium level (beyond just the GPU size). Let's recollect just some of the aspects that go beyond the Series X and will factor into overall cost:

1. PS5 using more expensive and "exotic" cooling solution (hopefully more revealed in the teardown)
  2. PS5 using higher quality materials for the case and controller (to be confirmed from hands on)
  3. Faster more advanced SSD
  4. Wifi 6 capable chips
  5. Usb-C port
  6. Unified 16GB RAM all at 448Gb/s (6GB with faster bandwidth than Series X)
  7. More Custom dedicated hardware throughout:
    • multiple I/O co-processors
    • Kraken Decompression engine
    • Dedicated DMA controller
    • custom flash controller
    • dedicated Tempest audio hardware
    • [rumor] remaster engine for backward compatibility
    • [rumor] Dedicated Machine Learning/Deep Learning hardware
    • [rumor] Dedicated streaming hardware for broadcasting (create functionality)
  8. Additional DualSense capabilities
    • Advanced haptics
    • Adaptive triggers
    • Builtin Micrpophone
    • Builtin Speakers
    • Motion sensors
    • Touchpad
    • RGB lighting
    • USB-C
    • Create button
    • rechargeable battery
  9. New UI features (unknown but there may be more hardware integrated here as well....a la dedicated 1GB DRAM and background downloading co-processsor on PS4)
I'm sure I missed some but you get the point. There is PLENTY about the PS5 that suggests it is a more premium and forward thinking product than the Series X and that (to me) would justify a higher price.

I wish people would open their eyes and stop acting like a .1 Ghz CPU advantage and 18% GPU advantage is everything. There is way more to the next gen experience than that :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:
I don't believe the cooling system will add a lot of cost, the liquid metal while definitely unique replaces conventional thermal paste, the metal is solid when the system is not running and is liquid when on,it is completely sealed and can not leak,this cooling system is far superior to thermal paste at removing heat.The PS5 will never have heat issues.

Supmate

Neo Member
PS5 $500 PS5 DE $450. Any lower and they are gonna have drastically reduce the price of PS4 Pro which I believe is still $349 MRSP. Shows what a massive statement $299 Series S actually is. Imagine the mark down on inventory Sony will have to make to shift last gen🤔

PS5 $500 PS5 DE $450. Any lower and they are gonna have drastically reduce the price of PS4 Pro which I believe is still $349 MRSP. Shows what a massive statement $299 Series S actually is. Imagine the mark down on inventory Sony will have to make to shift last gen🤔
PS4 Pro would simply be discontinued. It was always intended as a stop-gap. PS5 is simply the superior version of PS4 Pro.

And i am sticking to 399 for normal version, 345 for digital. This is the plan.
I think if the people who launched the PS4 were still in charge at Sony you'd have a system equal to or slightly more powerful than the Series X selling for the same price. But since they're not we're getting a weaker system that will cost more because fuck you we're Sony.
If "F You" is the only reason you can come up with for your position, then you don't really have a position.

Last edited:

Supmate

Neo Member
PS4 Pro would simply be discontinued. It was always intended as a stop-gap. PS5 is simply the superior version of PS4 Pro.

Wouldn't it be better to discontinue the PS4 and have an entry level 4TF slim Pro? It's the same console in every way. Sony didn't even add a 4k bluray drive to the Pro presumably to reduce costs. At 7nm I doubt it would be as noisy and would be about the same size as ps4 now.

Wouldn't it be better to discontinue the PS4 and have an entry level 4TF slim Pro? It's the same console in every way. Sony didn't even add a 4k bluray drive to the Pro presumably to reduce costs. At 7nm I doubt it would be as noisy and would be about the same size as ps4 now.
No. Because PS4pro and PS5 share the same group of customers, but the PS4 Slim and the future PS4 Superlsim are a completely separate group.

See, this forum has the wrong idea of what "casuals" buy. Casuals don't buy NEXT GEN machines; Casuals buy CURRENT gen machines at bargain base prices. These are people who still haven't bought a PS4. They are NOT interested a next gen hardware. They just want really cheap console with really cheap 2nd hand games or bundled bargain bin things.

This means a future PS4 Superslim at $199 would be what Casuals actually buy. And you trying to keep the Pro is completely missing the point. The market want the absolute cheapest, and Pro components literally make it more expensive.

And that is why I see Series S falling flat on its face. It isn't cheap enough, and a lack of a disc reader is a no-sell. Compare to the Series S, a $199 PS4 Superslim would likely have crappy build quality that breaks easily, but that is what that market wants. And Sony know what that market wants; they have served that market for many years now.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
Where's the .... I'm gonna buy the XSX cause it's the more powerful console and, in this case, it's less expensive option?

Last edited:

Supmate

Neo Member
And i am sticking to 399 for normal version, 345 for digital. This is the plan.

And I'm saying if the plan was 345 digital ps5 then they would have stopped production of pro a while ago. It doesn't fit in.

Straight outta my butt I'm thinking 20% of PS4's bought at retail are pro's so if for example the 5 million in the supply chain ie in warehouses waiting to be bought in holiday season, then a million of those are pro's.

How do you sell that inventory if the Digital Edition will likely be 345? You'd have to knock maybe $100 off the MRSP. Quick math suggests you just lost $100 million in revenue on stock.

Maybe next year dude but this fall PS5 digital has to be at least $100 more than PS4 pro imo. Hence my 450 digital PS5 and minimum 500 physical edition PS5 guess. Possibly more but I can't see them having built a value proposition to charge higher than Series X.

Top Bottom