• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 cost $500 - $600?

Will you get a PS5 at $499-$599

• Day One Baby, need the true next gen console experience

Votes: 62 44.0%
  • Powah of SSD, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls Remake, Day One

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • I am a parent, my kid needs a new console, Xbox is cheaper at $299, i think I will get him that

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • This ain't going to end well for Sony, arrogant Sony is back at it

Votes: 54 38.3%
  • $500-$600 ain't all that bad, club PS Now with PS Plus and I am all in

Votes: 11 7.8%

• Total voters
I think it's time we face ground reality on the subject surrounding PS5 Price. Bloomberg's initial reports suggested Sony's struggling to keep the manufacturing costs low due to exotic SSD and cooling solutions. PS5 is rumored to costs $450-$470 to manufacture. A $549 price point doesn't sound unreasonable. But unfortunately MS has made it clear they won't be beaten on the price/performance this time around. A $449/$549 for DE and Physical Edition seems highly plausible. If these are indeed revealed to be the actual price points, would that bode well for Sony? Can they see themselves selling those supposed 10 million first wave of production units? Sure at launch day/week the PS5 would be sold out, but in the long run wouldn't these prices hurt them?

I know it won't happen, but imagine if the PS5 DE is $299. Satya Nadella might as well shut down the Microsoft gaming division.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
$500-$600 wouldn't be too bad for me personally.

I think if Sony did charge $600 for the disc version then they should find a way to increase the value of the console in the eyes of consumers (maybe bundle in PSN+ and/or PSN Now for a year).

Anything over $600 would make me wait for a price drop though.

Ar¢tos

I really don't get how anyone can think it will be 599. It would be like if Sony had learned nothing from the ps3 launch.
Sony saves on GPU to spend on SSD, MS saves on SSD to spend on GPU. Both will be 499.
They said the cooling solution was much better, but they also said it wasn't much more expensive, plus Smartshift will keep thermals stable.

cudiye

Someone tell me why people think that the ps5 will cost more than the series x, dont the x have the better specs, more ssd space etc?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Speaking solely for myself, if the first party games keep looking utterly amazing and ‘next-gen’, $600 is no obstacle.

In general, though, it would be troubling. Sony is in a really good place in regards to brand loyalty, market share, and compelling reasons to invest in their system, but coming to market at $600 with the weaker specifications is, as the soy say, actually not a good look.

fermcr

Even if Sony has to loose money, I don't believe they will price the PS5 over the Series X.
The PS5 or PS5 digital will be the same price as the Series X.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Someone tell me why people think that the ps5 will cost more than the series x, dont the x have the better specs, more ssd space etc?
Sony has that amazing, incredible SSD, the controller with all the game changing gimmicks and they also said the cooling solution was not too cheap. I would say overall they are +- the same price.

bender

What time is it?
I had a Neogeo AES when I was 13. Pfffew this cheap.
wigga.jpg

slade

If the price is high, that means Sony has learned nothing from its failures in the videogame market. Furthermore, it means they have overengineered another disaster like the PS3. If the price is at 500 dollars, I'll wait until late next year to get it and I'd suggest most do the same. That is the only way we will see a rapid price decrease.

Orta

Banned
It'll be slightly more expensive than the Xbox I'd imagine. $529 or so, I expect Sony to push vague messages of revolutionary hardware and zero load times to justify it over the competition.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They won't go a penny over $499 on the disc edition.

The real question is how low they go on discless. They know that they can't touch the Series S price because the hardware isn't any weaker, but it's still not a good look when regardless, MS have the cheapest "next gen" option available on the market. XSS is going to be a big hit with all the people that have been affected by COVID financially this year.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I can't see it coming in at £349 again. That price was bomba. It had hardly any cutting edge stuff in it though. Ancient laptop drives, decent memory, reasonable footprint. Best case I'm hoping for is either £399 or £429 for the DE - I think £399 is optimsitic for that kit though, especially at the bigger footprint and weight for shipping costs etc. (MS will also have factored that in their price).

Having said that, £449 is doable for the DE on brand loyalty for me. Friends, game progress, Library - I don't really see two SKUs because I'm going digital whatever. If they price match, then I'll probably take the slightly weaker console because of the other benefits I already have in the ecosystem. At that price though, I may hold off until the new year. And then I'd expect the physical at £499. If DE is more expensive then it becomes a bit more difficult. I'd need to see what the plans were for character migration in certain games (RDR:O).

It'll be slightly more expensive than the Xbox I'd imagine. $529 or so, I expect Sony to push vague messages of revolutionary hardware and zero load times to justify it over the competition.

There's nothing vague about instant access to gameplay from UI, like literally nothing vague about it!

Ar¢tos

The super futuristic SSD strapped on costs 300$ and the rest of the console costs 200$.
SSD is faster but not necessarily that much more expensive. It's not only NAND differences, but design differences that allow better use of the NAND (custom controller, number of pcie lanes and channels, filesystem, etc).
These design differences might allow cheaper than we expect NAND to be used. For adding more storage things will however be expensive, since we'll need off the shelf SSDs, that can match the speeds achieved by the internal SSD, that don't have these optimizations.

Barakov

If they really go for $599 AGAIN then I'm waiting for a bit. There's stuff I want for PS5 but I can wait.

jimbojim

Banned
I think it's time we face ground reality on the subject surrounding PS5 Price. Bloomberg's initial reports suggested Sony's struggling to keep the manufacturing costs low due to exotic SSD and cooling solutions. PS5 is rumored to costs $450-$470 to manufacture. A $549 price point doesn't sound unreasonable. But unfortunately MS has made it clear they won't be beaten on the price/performance this time around. A $449/$549 for DE and Physical Edition seems highly plausible. If these are indeed revealed to be the actual price points, would that bode well for Sony? Can they see themselves selling those supposed 10 million first wave of production units? Sure at launch day/week the PS5 would be sold out, but in the long run wouldn't these prices hurt them?

According to Bloomberg, up to 450$
How PS5 can be at that price if BOM is lower than XSX

Xsex is 599€ so PS5 is probably max 599€ too, more likely 449-549€ etc.

But yeah, day one if it is 599€

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why do folks think a less powerful console will be more expensive?

Pasedo

Are people really loyal to any brand these days. If it's good value money they'll jump ship. Xbox S and X along with cheap Gamepass is pretty good value for money. Or are people willing to pay more for a Ps5 because of their exclusive launch games which shows off the hardware better. It's going to be an interesting start of the race.

vkbest

Less powerful? PS5's GPU might not be 12tf, but it's still 10.3tflop and has better I/O systems along with way powerful and faster SSD tech in it.

Yes, but less space 1TFLOP vs 830GB. Slower RAM, and 30% less CU on GPU. Besides according to rumors, CPU from PS5 is a portable variant and XSX CPU is a server/desktop variant, so that mean PS5 is consuming less power and needs smaller power supply. Also the royalties, MS is paying Dolby and Blu Ray royalties (Sony probably pay less because is part of Blu-ray association).

No way PS5 is more expensive to XSX

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
500-600$ to manufacture? Quite possibly. On the store shelf? Not a chance. Sony won't go higher than MS, especially for a weaker console and with lower drive space - the storage capacity is one of the very few specs mentioned on the boxes, every single customer will see it, while most console audience isn't tech savvy and won't know/understand the difference in specs, everyone will see they are getting less drive space, so paying more for less is an obvious no-go, 49 is the maximum Sony can charge for PS5 if they want it to be successful. Unless that will be exactly their plan and they will want people to opt for the DE, which will generate waaay more profits during the console's lifespan.

Three

They won't go a penny over $499 on the disc edition.

The real question is how low they go on discless. They know that they can't touch the Series S price because the hardware isn't any weaker, but it's still not a good look when regardless, MS have the cheapest "next gen" option available on the market. XSX is going to be a bit hit with all the people that have been affected by COVID financially this year.
If I had a penny for every time somebody mistakingly types X instead of S...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If I had a penny for every time somebody mistakingly types X instead of S...

Edited, thanks. This naming scheme is so stupid. The codenames are always more interesting.

Top Bottom