• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Controllers Are Drifting, And The Repairs Are A Hassle

The dualshock 4 was a badly designed controller with components that literally fell apart after a short time
i dont wanna say the dual sense follows that same pattern but one of my dual sense controllers is already starting to get loose sticks and the triggers are starting to wobble..from talking with some of my other online freinds they have similar issues

Sony dont make durable hardware

I got around this whole problem by simply buying another controller at Best Buy, stuffed the broken controller back in the box, and then returned it. Well not really returned it, I exchanged it because at the end of the day I want two controllers.

This whole situation is a klusterfuk and I'm not really heartbroken about shortchanging Best Buy considering how much I spend there every year.
You post this as if Best Buy is part of the problem.. but in reality you just got another product from SONY that's gonna crap out soon

total recall sludge GIF

TransTrender

Gold Member
You post this as if Best Buy is part of the problem.. but in reality you just got another product from SONY that's gonna crap out soon

total recall sludge GIF
Hah!
But if I tried to go the Best Buy route I would have been required to exchange the entire console for another one which they don't have. Would have been nice if they would have swapped only the controller.

Aenima

Never had drift with any of my controllers in all consoles I owned. Got 2 Dualsenses, also no problems.

Any controler with analogs can get drift. Even the expensive xbox elite controler has a good amount of drift reports. But nintendo is the only one with widespread drifting issues.

Hostile_18

Banned
Never had drift with any of my controllers in all consoles I owned. Got 2 Dualsenses, also no problems.

Any controler with analogs can get drift. Even the expensive xbox elite controler has a good amount of drift reports. But nintendo is the only one with widespread drifting issues.

That didn't come to light straight away though, the Switch has been out ages. Any of the new consoles could have unforeseen problems at this point still.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why the fuck controllers does not use HALL effect sensors, just a shitty potentiometer trash. And this issue is well known well documented, etc. I don't buy that it would be that much expensive to do that.
Well, even if its just one cent cheaper it's one cent earned more per controller.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I never had any issues with stick drift on my dual sense..

but when i tried GoW 60fps patch i def had stick drift.

that controller is going back baby

kuncol02

Banned
Why the fuck controllers does not use HALL effect sensors, just a shitty potentiometer trash. And this issue is well known well documented, etc. I don't buy that it would be that much expensive to do that.
I would guess that mostly size constraints and lack of off shelf parts using HALL sensors instead of potentiometers.

llien

I have two sets of JoyCons with a billion hours each. Zero issues.
That's cool.
I have second set of joycons (first got replaced by Nintendo).
Left one is drifting.

Friend of mine's Switch: both joycons are drifting.

Another friend of mine's Switch: right joycon is drifting.

Kid's classmate who frequently visits us: both left one is drifting. Oh, and his elder brother does have a switch too, it also has a drifting joycon.

As if there was a pattern or something...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Dualsense uses the same analogue parts as the DS4, it’s no wonder it’s an issue. Sony controllers have always sucked to some degree, if they had good build quality, they were tiny, uncomfortable etc. When they reshaped them and fixed the triggers, the battery life and build quality went to hell. The only thing that has been consistently good with them is the D-pad.

I never had to replace a controller from PS1 - PS3. I had 4 break on me on PS4. One of them broke while it was still under warranty, I sent it into them, and they sent me back one that had even more issues and had somebody else’s dirt and grime stuck in the cracks. It was soooo gross. My Dualsense has completely lost charge while turned off overnight a few times. I plan to send it in eventually.

I imagine Sony is pleased with the revenue they're getting when people have to buy new controllers.

I'm in the same boat as you. I never broke a controller on any PlayStation console until PS4. Now I break one a year.

BigLee74

Not exclusive to the Dualsense.

My XSX controller has already developed slight drift on the right stick. So annoying that they cheap out again and again on parts they know will wear quickly.

Trimesh

Banned
I would guess that mostly size constraints and lack of off shelf parts using HALL sensors instead of potentiometers.
You can get them - it's just a cost issue. I've used a sensor IC from AMS that has 5 hall sensors in it (including one in the home position so you can program the deadzone) - and the IC + hardware costs about $4 in production quantities. Even the better quality joystick pots from companies like ALPS are < $1

I think the last people to use hall joysticks in a home console were Sega in the Dreamcast pad - probably because they made arcade machines and considered pot based joysticks excessively unreliable.

TransTrender

Gold Member
That's cool.
Left one is drifting.

Kid's classmate who frequently visits us: both left one is drifting. Oh, and his elder brother does have a switch too, it also has a drifting joycon.

That's cool, and I also said :
It's just the luck of the draw. Not that one's a problem and the other isn't.
I'm really glad I don't have an issue with my JoyCons :)

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
If they are roughly the same price one potential factor can be the availability of supply.

Redlancet

Banned
Playstation controllers have been made out of the cheapest materials since PS3. Pull any Dual Shock 3 you got out of storage and I bet the joysticks have melted slightly. Don't get me started on PS5 being made out of flimsy plastic they used for the white sides.
Thats bs i still have four ps4 dualshocks working flawessly and two Ă©lite controllers being repaired

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That's cool.
Left one is drifting.

I have 3 joycons with drift.
That issue is very real

kuncol02

Banned
You can get them - it's just a cost issue. I've used a sensor IC from AMS that has 5 hall sensors in it (including one in the home position so you can program the deadzone) - and the IC + hardware costs about $4 in production quantities. Even the better quality joystick pots from companies like ALPS are < $1

I think the last people to use hall joysticks in a home console were Sega in the Dreamcast pad - probably because they made arcade machines and considered pot based joysticks excessively unreliable.
ALPS stick controllers like ones in PS5 and XSX can cost around 8eur for better ones (for orders of 1000+ units).

IC is still not everything, you need mechanical part of design and there you start walking on minefield of US patent law (there are multiple patents for hall sensor based joysticks).

Trimesh

Banned
ALPS stick controllers like ones in PS5 and XSX can cost around 8eur for better ones (for orders of 1000+ units).

IC is still not everything, you need mechanical part of design and there you start walking on minefield of US patent law (there are multiple patents for hall sensor based joysticks).

The big CMs that are making products like controllers certainly aren't going to be sourcing their parts from a stocking distributor like Mouser. They deal directly with the vendor, and if you are ordering enough product on a sufficiently relaxed call out schedule that you can be used to keep the line running then you get really low prices.

The $4 I quoted was for both the sensor chip and the actuator in a bundle - they were a bit of a pain to install because the chip was an LQFP that needed to be reflowed and the actuator was a through-hole part that needed to be flow soldered. It was also a medical device, so it wasn't that price sensitive.

Even with our limited buying power we could get the joystick pots for less than half the price of the Hall ones.

My TLOU2 DS4 drifts terribly, I should have sent it back but we were on lock down. Looks like similar problems with the DUALSENSE.

For some reason I’m having a spongy X button?!
Yes I too encountered the spongy x button for couple of days, possibly two weeks from nov14th. It got fixed all by itself. Put in over 200+ hours into PS5 so far and no issues on the controller, knock on wood

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I only had it on one PS4 controller do to several times falling on its face/analogs. Other than that, you should expect 1% faulty controllers, so that will be in tenths of thousands now.

Can we get an article about the insanely expensive elite controllers and other overpriced controllers that face the very same issues and more with much higher percentage?

Canada, yes. Xbox controllers are $75, frequently on sale for $50-$60.
I love Canada. Love the East coast here, but I'm constantly asking why is this random thing so expensive. Half the things are exactly conversion prices to US and other half have an extra 30% on top with what seems like no rhyme or reason.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If there is an issue, it WILL be known beyond any doubt. The Switch (joycons, not the Lite or Pro controller) is the only one with an actual drift problem.
Everything I hook up to my switch has some drift. I think it is the console itself. My joycons all drift, my pro controller drifts, my WiiU pro controller hooked up via Magic NS drifts. It is obnoxious and often results in the character making errant mini loops while moving or random camera changes that produce a similar effect. I just kept throwing money at it but it won't go away. At least I have something to blame when I die in games.

I hope to fuck the PS5 doesn't have that problem because I am not paying 70 bucks to get a controller for a system I only use for a few exclusives again. My launch PS4 controller shit the bed in August so I sold the system to avoid wasting money on a retired controller tech.

This makes me take a trip down memory lane.

It's weird that controllers have evolved into such delicate things that can have issues appear randomly. Especially when you consider their origins.

Back when I was around 9 or 10, those rectangular wired Nintendo controllers were basically indestructible. Struggling with Contra, I once threw a tantrum by unplugging the controller, spinning it like you would a grapple hook, and slammed it straight into the coffee table. One of the corners was flattened a bit, but I simply plugged it back in, and kept on gaming.

Speaking of grapple hooks. When I saw one of the Indiana Jones movies, I promptly found a rope to use as my whip... Only it was completely useless when attempting to grapple with it. Wasn't long before both me and my brother had a rope on one hip for the whip, and an NES controller on the other for a grapple. Spent a solid couple of hours attempting to get it to catch and hold onto the rafters in the garage.

kuncol02

Banned
This makes me take a trip down memory lane.

It's weird that controllers have evolved into such delicate things that can have issues appear randomly. Especially when you consider their origins.

Back when I was around 9 or 10, those rectangular wired Nintendo controllers were basically indestructible. Struggling with Contra, I once threw a tantrum by unplugging the controller, spinning it like you would a grapple hook, and slammed it straight into the coffee table. One of the corners was flattened a bit, but I simply plugged it back in, and kept on gaming.

Speaking of grapple hooks. When I saw one of the Indiana Jones movies, I promptly found a rope to use as my whip... Only it was completely useless when attempting to grapple with it. Wasn't long before both me and my brother had a rope on one hip for the whip, and an NES controller on the other for a grapple. Spent a solid couple of hours attempting to get it to catch and hold onto the rafters in the garage.
Sticks didn't evolved at all. They are same parts like in first Dual Shock (with few outliners like Dreamcast controller and Joycons).

Sticks didn't evolved at all. They are same parts like in first Dual Shock (with few outliners like Dreamcast controller and Joycons).
You're taking my post a bit too literal there my guy. I meant more as to how durable controllers overall were then vs now.

Now that I think about it... I never even mentioned the sticks.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have a dream that one day we will move on from shitty Potentiometers. You can put all the tech you want in the dual sense and elite controllers, but sticking with shitty outdated potentiometers will always keep controllers as guaranteed to fail.

Gents, apologies, i know this thread is about the Dualsense - and it's always good that these kind of problems get media coverage since they appear to be widespread but what about the Xbox Series S|X controllers ?
i know people that are already on their 2nd and 3rd series controllers due to joypads disconnecting, stick drift, weird sounding/feeling triggers (when pressed) and the usual bumper button fail.I too had to send mine back to MS due to a broken bumper button and the one i got back was in worse condition with weird motor function, creaky sounds and weird clicky/grinding sounding analogue sticks (that the bundled joypad didn't have).Heck, my cousin is on his 3rd series S robot white controller since the bundled one developed a weird, click-y feeling right trigger which eventually gave up the ghost - same thing with the right bumper.The 2nd one he got developed a - you guessed it - weird/sticky left bumper feeling which also gave up the ghost after 3 weeks since it developed it, and now, his 3rd one is mostly OK with some minor button sticking.

It's been 7+ years since the Xbox one got released and most of its OG joypad problems are the exact same on the new series joypad, i mean, especially the Left/right Bumper(s) failing is now a "classic" problem and you can find posts on reddit/other places that originate from 2013 ffs even though they changed the bumper design in their 2nd joypad revision (xbox one S BT controller).
Also :"Elite" controllers - there was a class action lawsuit not too long ago since stick drift and bumper buttons failing were almost the norm, and this is a 170$ joypad/product we're talking about.

Not trying to stir up a storm here, it's just that i find kind of weird that people are noticing problems on the Dualsense but not with the series S|X controllers, that's all.

Apologies for being off-topic

Ar¢tos

For 50€ I got 3 extra years of warranty (5 total) on both the console and controller with instant replacement of controller by the store at the smallest issue, why would anyone not do warranty deals like this and rely on annoying manufacturer warranties??

Krisprolls

Banned
No one around me has this problem. It wasn't reported anywhere until now, so it's a safe bet it's not widespread at all. If it was even 1% of PS5s Dualsense, you'd have tons of threads about it right now.

There were like 4 million PS5s already sold, there WILL be hardware faults of all sorts like with any massively sold technically advanced product, that's statistically certain. It's meaningless, it has always been like that and failure rates are actually a lot lower nowadays.

Neither XSX nor PS5 has an excessive default rate, we'd already know about it right now (like it was the case with RROD or even PS3 problems, which were both a lot more widespread...)

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I've heard of issues with springs breaks in Dual Senses and plastic bits that make the resistance, more moving parts the worse.

But this is bush league shit, analog sticks have been around for a very long time.

Sony Playstation Division must have some of the lowest paid Q&A in gaming, the Dual Shock 4s with their shitty rubber that disintegrated after use for the first tens of thousands.

Coil whine in MANY PS5s.

Sony doesn't start giving fucks until it really starts costing them big time.

Buying a Sony console FIRST isn't a great idea, a year from now maybe it'll be "safe" to do so.
Panic Omg GIF

I imagine Sony is pleased with the revenue they're getting when people have to buy new controllers.

I'm in the same boat as you. I never broke a controller on any PlayStation console until PS4. Now I break one a year.

For sure they do, I would say the same applied with the 360 rrod. It's bullshit that they are reusing parts that had issues last gen. But after my second DS4 broke on me I started just ordering parts from Aliexpress and repairing them myself, I now have 2 controllers I rotate between, that can be a bit of a pain to put back together but I got tired of spending $70 CDN for a new controller when I could get the part need to fix it for a dollar, I have an envelope of spare parts that I paid maybe 10-15 for in total.

No issue with my DualSense drifting or sticks or anything. But one thing I do dislike is the textured grips seems to collect even the smallest of grime. I wash my hands very regularly, always have even before Covid, and I still find my DualSense texture picking up dust, grime, etc. I just wipe them down after use but its still pretty crazy.

quest

Not Banned from OT
For 50€ I got 3 extra years of warranty (5 total) on both the console and controller with instant replacement of controller by the store at the smallest issue, why would anyone not do warranty deals like this and rely on annoying manufacturer warranties??
I always figure warrantee into price of any launch hardware. Your a guinea pig working out the bugs for the masses. This is the price of admission of being an early adopter. Sony, Nintendo. Microsoft it don't matter launch hardware is a gamble so get insurance.

Top Bottom