• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 console will not play certain games and also sometimes overheats...any ideas?

Just to update quick I tried a different power cord and still same issue. Fuck. So it's definitely something with the console itself. Time to waste another hour and a half on the phone and then another 3 weeks to a month for them to hopefully actually fix my PS5 this time...

Didn't read through all the posts, just the beginning. It seems like OP is experiencing voltage drops from that outlet.

Bear with me (hopefully I didn't miss anything as I didn't read all posts). But having voltage drop too low on an outlet, due to old/poor wiring, will shut off the console, make the wire hot, and display all of the symptoms you are mentioning.

Either voltage drops from outlet, or the power cord has a short, causing "hot spots", which will also cause voltage drops (if it's not due to poor house wiring).

Source: work with car audio high voltage and high powered systems. This is common when you have teenagers thinking you can pull 5k watts on 4 gauge cables, 20 ft from batteries/alternator.

GymWolf

Call this guy asap

james-woods-scary-movie.gif

Just a small update, called again and they're taking it back again. This time I'll try to put a more detailed letter in explaining the issue and that it takes anywhere from a couple of minutes to over an hour for the crashes to happen.

One thing I've noticed (but could just be a coincidence) is that the games that don't run are Playstation 5 version pay games. Arcadegeddon, Resident Evil 8, and Ratchet and Clank for example are all standard digital/physical Playstation 5 versions of the games and they inevitably will crash. On the other hand PS4 pay games, along with PS5 free to play games all do work so far with zero issues (Fortnite, Genshin Impact, the PS4 digital version of Resident Evil 8). So I wonder if there's some licensing/software glitch where it freezes every time it does some licensing check for PS5 versions of games?? Who knows. And yes I already tried restoring licenses. Weird shit.

Last edited:
Didn't read through all the posts, just the beginning. It seems like OP is experiencing voltage drops from that outlet.

Bear with me (hopefully I didn't miss anything as I didn't read all posts). But having voltage drop too low on an outlet, due to old/poor wiring, will shut off the console, make the wire hot, and display all of the symptoms you are mentioning.

Either voltage drops from outlet, or the power cord has a short, causing "hot spots", which will also cause voltage drops (if it's not due to poor house wiring).

Source: work with car audio high voltage and high powered systems. This is common when you have teenagers thinking you can pull 5k watts on 4 gauge cables, 20 ft from batteries/alternator.
That seems to make sense but it would have to also be something in conjunction with this one specific console itself which I guess is possible. Like I said I have another PS5 that has been/is connected to these same outlets and I get zero issues with that console. No overheating and no crashes.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
RE8 is not a Sony game smart guy. If you say your console doesnt work with a specific game,might be an idea to include it when you want it testing.
You are misunderstanding. They literally digitally distribute the game. They control who can play it.

Top Bottom