• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 compared to RX 5700 XT in games

What do I care about your personal beef with Dictator?

If we look at Cyberpunk for example and the wide range of raytracing it utilizes while also reflecting buildings and geometry many kilometers away... while Spider-Man only does these reflection while having to take even more shortcuts.... Yes, Spider-Man uses very basic and limited raytracing.

Of course there are always compromises. I'm saying that Spider-Man has to have way more compromises due to its limited compute power compared to high-end PCs. Which is obvious because the PS5 only costs 399. I don't get how any of this is debatable or even divisive.

It seems like very limited RT reflections only, without any other RT effect, are the second coming of Jesus Christ to you. Just because buildings far away are being reflected. It's not that difficult. It's again, very basic.

You seem to be impressed very easily. If it's done by a PS5.

In my view, the only type of ray tracing that is noticeable right now is for reflections. And going all out on RT hogs performance and is a huge waste, there’s more intelligent ways to go about it and Insomniac nailed it

say whatever you want about Spider-Man having a limited form of it, but it looks DAMN good

I’d put it up against most types of RT on the market right now, I find the visual spectacle of RT + insane particle effects and motion blur + high fidelity assets @ 60 FPS. It’s an absolute achievement what they’ve done on the game, regardless of whether you have a high end rig or not.

regawdless

Banned
In my view, the only type of ray tracing that is noticeable right now is for reflections. And going all out on RT hogs performance and is a huge waste, there’s more intelligent ways to go about it and Insomniac nailed it

say whatever you want about Spider-Man having a limited form of it, but it looks DAMN good

I’d put it up against most types of RT on the market right now, I find the visual spectacle of RT + insane particle effects and motion blur + high fidelity assets @ 60 FPS. It’s an absolute achievement what they’ve done on the game, regardless of whether you have a high end rig or not.

Read this thread and read the posts where I actually praised the work of the devs and said that it's great looking. Unnecessary comment.

Why are you so defensive? It doesn't changes the fact that the RT implemented in it is rather basic. While still looking great.
Don't be so insecure about your PS5 purchases people.

Also, RT lighting for me actually is at least as important and obvious as the reflections. Look at the interiors in Cyberpunk, like the car scene. Huge difference. Look at 22:23.

Last edited:
Read this thread and read the posts where I actually praised the work of the devs and said that it's great looking. Unnecessary comment.

Why are you so defensive? It doesn't changes the fact that the RT implemented in it is rather basic. While still looking great.
Don't be so insecure about your PS5 purchases people.

Also, RT lighting for me actually is at least as important and obvious as the reflections. Look at the interiors in Cyberpunk, like the car scene. Huge difference. Look at 22:23.

not being defensive, just pointing out that basic is not equal to bad, and being intelligent with overall performance constraints is more important than going gung ho with everything RT.

I think that there are other tricks that could have been employed to make the interior car scene look comparable without RT, and to me that difference really isn’t generational like Dictator claims

regawdless

Banned
not being defensive, just pointing out that basic is not equal to bad, and being intelligent with overall performance constraints is more important than going gung ho with everything RT.

I think that there are other tricks that could have been employed to make the interior car scene look comparable without RT, and to me that difference really isn’t generational like Dictator claims

You are defensive. Because I've never said that it's bad.

I've said multiple times that they've done a great job with the compute power at hand and achieved great results. And said that the game looks impressive.

My point being, that it's a pretty basic RT implementation and should give us a feeling about the RT limitations of the hardware. And to keep our expectations realistic.

And I'm repeating myself all the time: PS5 is the best value out there and incredible HW for 399.

So again, weird that you feel the urge to step up to defend your precious PS5.

Last edited:
You are defensive. Because I've never said that it's bad.

I've said multiple times that they've done a great job with the compute power at hand and achieved great results. And said that the game looks impressive.

My point being, that it's a pretty basic RT implementation and should give us a feeling about the RT limitations of the hardware. And to keep our expectations realistic.

And I'm repeating myself all the time: PS5 is the best value out there and incredible HW for 399.

So again, weird that you feel to step up to defend your precious PS5.

I never claimed that you said it was bad, I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on how “basic” is actually pretty damn good since others could interpret it differently

So weird that you keep bringing up people defending precious PS5s, what’s your point exactly?

going into this gen, knowing AMD was behind on RT, and that RT is extremely taxing even on high end PC GPUs, expectations were pretty low

if you had told me that PS5 would have a great showcase example of RT in an open world at 60 FPS that was abundantly noticeable at launch I would have laughed at the idea, but here we are

I’m actually much more optimistic about this gen for RT than I was previously

regawdless

Banned
I never claimed that you said it was bad, I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on how “basic” is actually pretty damn good since others could interpret it differently

So weird that you keep bringing up people defending precious PS5s, what’s your point exactly?

going into this gen, knowing AMD was behind on RT, and that RT is extremely taxing even on high end PC GPUs, expectations were pretty low

if you had told me that PS5 would have a great showcase example of RT in an open world at 60 FPS that was abundantly noticeable at launch I would have laughed at the idea, but here we are

I’m actually much more optimistic about this gen for RT than I was previously

My point is that I've said again and again that it's great looking and the devs have done a great job, while saying it uses very basic RT. Which it does.

And you feeling the urge to say that basic doesn't equal bad. Which was never claimed or said.

Maybe you haven't followed this thread and haven't read all my comments though, so sorry for coming at you like this.
But the backlash from some PS5 owners to the statement that the game uses basic RT is pretty crazy. Only mentioning the limitations of the HW summons an emotional PS5 defense force.

Last edited:
My point is that I've said again and again that it's great looking and the devs have done a great job, while saying it uses very basic RT. Which it does.

And you feeling the urge to say that basic doesn't equal bad. Which was never claimed or said.

Maybe you haven't followed this thread and haven't read all my comments though, so sorry for coming at you like this.
But the backlash from some PS5 owners to the statement that the game uses basic RT is pretty crazy. Only mentioning the limitations of the HW summons an emotional PS5 defense force.

no worries, I haven’t read the whole thread so I’m just picking up the last few posts, it sounds like we are generally in agreement here.

still not sure if I’d classify it as “basic” because the overall look is superior to many games that probably use more robust and comprehensive solutions. In the end it’s kind of the whole package that matters.

RT with a great looking game on top and at 60 FPS no less is just more impressive looking than a game that may have more comprehensive RT techniques but looks pretty standard overall

Last edited:

JeloSWE

- it uses reflections on very limited surfaces. For example the windows have reflections, while walls don't reflect anything. Which is understandable, because reflections on rough surfaces are way more compute heavy. In other games, every table, glass, glossy doors etc also reflect the environment.
Actually, the non window parts of the the buildings facades often times do rough reflections and so does the ground but yes not all surfaces uses RT, that's for sure. Still I think insomniac has done a terrific job regarding the consoles more limited hardware compared to Nvidia's top offerrings.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
no worries, I haven’t read the whole thread so I’m just picking up the last few posts, it sounds like we are generally in agreement here.

still not sure if I’d classify it as “basic” because the overall look is superior to many games that probably use more robust and comprehensive solutions. In the end it’s kind of the whole package that matters.

RT with a great looking game on top and at 60 FPS no less is just more impressive looking than a game that may have more comprehensive RT techniques but looks pretty standard overall

Again, I'm only talking about the pure raytracing. Considering all available raytracing possibilities, Spider-Man only uses reflections. And it uses the reflections with severe trade offs to achieve it's large draw distance. Making the used RT basic. I don't see why anyone would argue that. I guess console owners aren't used to play games with raytracing and are very impressed, thus thinking it's some kind of advanced RT tech.

It is very nice to see how such a basic implemented already makes a huge difference and makes many people happy. It's in no way meant negatively, I'm glad that the consoles can provide that. Because RT is expensive as hell.

I truly believe that cheaper hybrid solutions for reflections and lighting will result in incredible looking games. Especially regarding first party titles.

regawdless

Banned
Actually, the non window parts of the the buildings facades often times do rough reflections and so does the ground but yes not all surfaces uses RT, that's for sure. Still I think insomniac has done a terrific job regarding the consoles more limited hardware compared to Nvidia's top offerrings.

They did an outstanding job. Especially if you compare it to WD Legions on next gen consoles, it's Miles ahead.

I haven't seen any reflections on building walls so far. Do you have a screenshot or videos? I mean stuff like this (WD Legion on PC) look at the area above the poster:

watchdogslegionscreencj62.jpeg

Again, I'm only talking about the pure raytracing. Considering all available raytracing possibilities, Spider-Man only uses reflections. And it uses the reflections with severe trade offs to achieve it's large draw distance. Making the used RT basic. I don't see why anyone would argue that. I guess console owners aren't used to play games with raytracing and are very impressed, thus thinking it's some kind of advanced RT tech.

It is very nice to see how such a basic implemented already makes a huge difference and makes many people happy. It's in no way meant negatively, I'm glad that the consoles can provide that. Because RT is expensive as hell.

I truly believe that cheaper hybrid solutions for reflections and lighting will result in incredible looking games. Especially regarding first party titles.

well yeah, I guess my point is that I visually cannot see any large trade offs when comparing it to other games that may have better techniques or higher resolution or what have you. So whatever they are doing with their “basic” methods is working

and I think just the mere look of RT in a well polished, stylish game with high detail at 60 FPS is just extremely impressive considering many games can’t achieve that frame rate with RT enabled on powerful rigs and look rather basic as games overall

I guess I see RT as more icing on the cake, having a game with great and robust RT that looks bad otherwise is still a bad looking game. RT is just one component, and it may not work well with all games depending on the desired aesthetic

regawdless

Banned
and I think just the mere look of RT in a well polished, stylish game with high detail at 60 FPS is just extremely impressive considering many games can’t achieve that frame rate with RT enabled on powerful rigs and look rather basic as games overall

That's not true though. To run at 60fps, there are even more significant trade offs then in the 4k 30fps mode. A PC with a 2060S and above can run games at 1080p with that kind of reduced raytracing quality at 60fps. So far next gen has targeted RT reflections in lower quality than the lowest possible PC settings, like in WD Legion.

BUT it's hard to compare because Spider-Man is exclusive and not available on PC, thus no direct comparison possible.

Judging on other games so far, the 2060S raytracing comparison is valid though.

I think it's a case of console owners not knowing what's possible on PCs these days.

I guess we have to wait some more, Control next gen version will provide a more valid look at the raytracing capabilities that can be compared to PCs. Will be interesting!

Last edited:
That's not true though. To run at 60fps, there are even more significant trade offs then in the 4k 30fps mode. A PC with a 2060S and above can run games at 1080p with that kind of reduced raytracing quality at 60fps. So far next gen has targeted RT reflections in lower quality than the lowest possible PC settings, like in WD Legion.

BUT it's hard to compare because Spider-Man is exclusive and not available on PC, thus no direct comparison possible.

Judging on other games so far, the 2060S raytracing comparison is valid though.

I think it's a case of console owners not knowing what's possible on PCs these days.

I guess we have to wait some more, Control next gen version will provide a more valid look at the raytracing capabilities that can be compared to PCs. Will be interesting!

there aren’t any games running 60 FPS RT with a 2060S that look as good as Spider-Man (which isn’t 1080p btw)

and I compared 30fps and 60fps and there’s hardly a difference in terms of RT quality, not significant and you really need to zoom in on stills to see much of a difference, in motion it’s really not a big difference

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
there aren’t any games running 60 FPS RT with a 2060S that look as good as Spider-Man (which isn’t 1080p btw)

True, Spider-Man fluctuates between 1440p and 1080p, but most of the time in the higher res range. So the 1080p was a low shot from me.
What I'm trying to say here is that we don't have a comparison to Spidey. Spidey is so well optimized that it might as well run like this on mid range PCs.

Extremely talented devs have optimized and customized every graphical setting to have the best visuals to performance ratio.

That's why we have to take the direct comparisons that are available so far, anything else is speculation. And these comparisons point towards a 2060S in raytracing performance. Future games might change that of course, that's just what we have so far.

regawdless

Banned
and I compared 30fps and 60fps and there’s hardly a difference in terms of RT quality, not significant and you really need to zoom in on stills to see much of a difference, in motion it’s really not a big difference

That's your subjective assessment. While moving fast, a lot of visual touches are not significant, that's not a good point hehe.
The resolution of the reflections is lowered even more and are very low res and fuzzy. Nothing comes for free.

For me, it's still worth it and good looking. 60fps is the way to go.

I think we can agree that Spider-Man looks great and Insomniac did an amazing job. But to really assess the RT capabilities of the PS5, we need more points of comparison.

Not sure how this became a discussion about raytracing but whatever.

I think console exclusives will always have the better bespoke raytracing solution on consoles this gen while multiplatform games will typically just be scaled below PC low settings and will therefore look much worse - see Spider-Man v console Watchdogs. I think you'll therefore see the PS5 punching well above the 2060s it has being compared to when it comes to raytracing wow factor (in exclusives at least).

I’ve played a fair bit of PS5 Spider-Man with raytracing though and if you stop to examine it it can be very low quality with lot's of obvious cheats. Just look at the fire truck compared to the signs in Cyberpunk. Not trying to say this is a remotely fair comparison or Spider-Man looks bad (the raytracing is light years ahead of the cube maps on the PS4 version and I could never go back now) but if it was a slower paced game I think people would notice the limitations a lot more easily (be real though - who spends their time walking around at ground level in Spider-Man).

Me7Kjli.jpg

K5FYng9.jpg

JeloSWE

They did an outstanding job. Especially if you compare it to WD Legions on next gen consoles, it's Miles ahead.

I haven't seen any reflections on building walls so far. Do you have a screenshot or videos? I mean stuff like this (WD Legion on PC) look at the area above the poster:

watchdogslegionscreencj62.jpeg

Okay so you made me fire up the game again to take some screen shots and... I must admit that 99% of the building walls does not use RT, I remember one doing though and it was rough as well but I couldn't find it again. I managed to find a couple of walls that use RT but they are indeed far and few between and not as rough as the one I found earlier but that doesn't mater as it's not even close to the norm. The icy ground however do RT reflections with pretty rough surfaces. Note that I found wall with more mirror like reflections like the one i WD in your post but I tried to find ones that are rougher as those are usually excluded due to the relative low sample rate quickly getting to grainy for the engine.

yAkBUgy.jpg

IKghKtr.jpg

yw0zXPc.jpg

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Okay so you made me fire up the game again to take some screen shots and... I must admit that 99% of the building walls does not use RT, I remember one doing though and it was rough as well but I couldn't find it again. I managed to find a couple of walls that use RT but they are indeed far and few between and not as rough as the one I found earlier but that doesn't mater as it's not even close to the norm. The icy ground however do RT reflections with pretty rough surfaces. Note that I found wall with more mirror like reflections like the one i WD in your post but I tried to find ones that are rougher as those are usually excluded due to the relative low sample rate quickly getting to grainy for the engine.

yAkBUgy.jpg

IKghKtr.jpg

yw0zXPc.jpg

Thanks for the shots! I think they have chosen the raytraced surfaces very well. WD Legion on PC for example uses RT reflections on so much stuff, that it's ridiculous and not really needed. While wooden doors, walls etc enhance the visuals greatly, they also have RT reflections on tiny stuff like garbage bins, chairs, tables, glasses on the tables, ash trays etc.

I haven't even noticed that stuff until I stumbled upon it in photo mode. Stupid waste of resources, they'd better increase the RT draw distance.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
In fact, we can resume saying that WDL uses RT to show its balls but not in smart way, CP2077 to show how nice it is on big PC, and Spiderman MM how to use it in simple way but very smart. I'm right or not? :D

90% right! WD L uses reflections only and in not well chosen doses while being badly optimized. Spider-Man uses that part of RT in a way more efficient way (in a way better game as well haha).
Cyberpunk just goes balls out and uses a bigger range of RT in good ways.

:messenger_beaming:

Blood Borne

Not to be that guy, I’m just asking merely out of curiosity.
Is it possible to build a PC with the equivalent of PS5 CPU, GPU and SSD for $400?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Is it possible to build a PC with the equivalent of PS5 CPU, GPU and SSD for $400?

I don't think so. A PC being built from scratch shouldn't be a means for comparing it to a console IMO. PCs will function a lot more than a console. I'd never buy a PC just to play games on it IOW.

VFXVeteran

Banned

You can't intelligently duplicate ray-traced shadows and area lights. You can with GI, but not those.

I’d put it up against most types of RT on the market right now, I find the visual spectacle of RT + insane particle effects and motion blur + high fidelity assets @ 60 FPS.

"insane particle effects" + "high fidelity assets (in cinematics)" = hyperbole as always Sawyer.

regawdless

Banned

For people who don't shoot for the high end and are budget limited, the PS5 for 399 is the best choice. If it's for gaming and streaming only, you can't build an equivalent PC for that money.

Edit: Especially because it also has an amazing controller included in that price.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have no idea how powerful an 5700 is compared to a PS5, but do you guys actually stop in-game, slow down and look at the reflections? I'd imagine that you'd only see this shit if you were looking for it, am I crazy? During game play is this something you even notice or it this just for comparison purposes? If it is, then I understand but also... I play games in motion, but in screen shots.

EDIT: i just remembered this is an enthusiast forums and this kind of stuff is a normal thing, my bad... move along.
I did it to see the differences. And it was enough that I actually switched modes throughout the game. This was before the 60fps/rt mode. The 60fps/rt mode is damn near perfect for what I wanted to do.

Knowing what to look for and seeing, I had some 'dayum' moments, lol.

Codes 208

Realistically no. The 5700 xt alone will net you $320-460. While internal SSD’s are fairly cheap they won’t be running the same speed either (though there are workarounds, Acer for example has fast loading solution and in certain games it seems very comparable, DS3 and MHW for example load in mere seconds compared to my SX or ps5 which still take 8-20 seconds, which being last gen would mean their unoptimized usually but the SX usually excels at BC so take that how you will)

regardless, you’d be looking at around $700-900 MINIMUM depending on other parts such as a stronger power supply (5700 XT’s minimum is technically 650w), self-build or expert built (I chose expert because I trust microcenter more than I trust myself to not fuck it up) the size of the tower, the cpu (idk the equivalent cpu but I’m guessing around ryzen 3 atleast? I know it’s a step up from the usual laptop cpu’s), RAM, etc.

in my experience is it worth it? Yes. PC’s general compatibility with high end games going all the way back to the early 00’s running at 4k/120+FPS is superior to the ps5/XSX running last gen games at their maxed out dynamic rezes at 30-60fps. Though tbf the ps5 is still a really good deal and the controller has become my go-to for my gaming pc.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Stop with such useless example, ACV is AMD optimized, the RX5700XT for example is clearly running better against NV card with ACV as it is the case in most games.
You seem defensive. I'm willing to pay for your therapy to see what the real underlying issue is.

Mr Moose

So you admit it looks bad in RT 60FPS mode, but would rather play the game in that mode?
In a muddy zoomed in window? Sure, doesn't look all that great and that was the point of the screenshot. Still better looking than Watch_Dogs. Never mentioned which mode I would rather play.

VFXVeteran

Banned
in my experience is it worth it? Yes. PC’s general compatibility with high end games going all the way back to the early 00’s running at 4k/120+FPS is superior to the ps5/XSX running last gen games at their maxed out dynamic rezes at 30-60fps. Though tbf the ps5 is still a really good deal and the controller has become my go-to for my gaming pc.

To add to that, you won't need to buy another computer when the next-next generation of consoles release. All will be required is a graphics card update. And that's when you can start comparing prices. With a PC already built and ready to go, you've done the main investing in the long run.

Spiderman MM is no way looks better than Cyberpunk on PC. Stop with the BS.

It looks way better than Cyberpunk on PS5.

But I also don't think, from the footage I've seen on PC, that Cyberpunk looks above and beyond anything else on the market currently. Sure, it may be running all the fancy RT effects spoken about in this thread, but that's not the end-all-be-all for visuals. It lags in certain areas. It's a good looking game, but not some generational leap.

Isn't the PS5 GPU a generation ahead of 5700xt just due to RDNA 1 vs RDNA 2? I feel like it can at least match the 5700xt on top of adding RDNA 2 features too. Maybe I am wrong though

It looks way better than Cyberpunk on PS5.

But I also don't think, from the footage I've seen on PC, that Cyberpunk looks above and beyond anything else on the market currently. Sure, it may be running all the fancy RT effects spoken about in this thread, but that's not the end-all-be-all for visuals. It lags in certain areas. It's a good looking game, but not some generational leap.

CP77 on a 3080 with everything cranked is easily the best looking game I have ever played on PC. It has next-gen visuals. Don't knock it until you actually try it.

As far as it looking better than Demon's Souls, maybe not (to my eyes, anyway) in a screenshot-to-screenshot comparison but it's also an open world game with a lot more going on.

RT Lighting is definitely The Truth. I wish console games focused on this over reflections (assuming we have to just pick one, both would be ideal, of course)

Last edited:
Isn't the PS5 GPU a generation ahead of 5700xt just due to RDNA 1 vs RDNA 2? I feel like it can at least match the 5700xt on top of adding RDNA 2 features too. Maybe I am wrong though

CP77 on a 3080 with everything cranked is easily the best looking game I have ever played on PC. It has next-gen visuals. Don't knock it until you actually try it.

RT Lighting is definitely The Truth. I wish console games focused on this over reflections (assuming we have to just pick one, both would be ideal, of course)

Examples of footage where I can see this generational leap? Like I said, it's a great looking game. Is it that much better than the best looking last-gen games? I'm not really convinced. It looks nowhere near as good as UE5

Last edited:

Codes 208

To add to that, you won't need to buy another computer when the next-next generation of consoles release. All will be required is a graphics card update. And that's when you can start comparing prices. With a PC already built and ready to go, you've done the main investing in the long run.
Plus no need for remasters/up-ports and when devs decide to go that route, remasters are generally treated as a free update for PC

Malakhov

Banned

No, the ps5 and xbox series x is the best gaming value for that amount, no doubt about it

It's shocking how good the ps5 runs games. Although it doesnt look as good as my pc with a 3080, the difference doesnt hit hard at all when switching between the two platforms like it used to prior to this gen

Hairsplash

IMO, no a good comparison, the ps5 gpu is a gen ahead, more LIKE (not the same number of CU‘s) the rx6800, than the rx5700xt.
IMO, the only similarity between the ps5 and the rtx5700 is that they have the same number of CU’s...

Last edited:

PeteBull

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GnZsVc bit worse cpu(2 less cores/4less threads but higher clocks vs whats in xsx/ps5) and bit worse gpu(proper match would be probably rx 6700 from amd but it didnt launch yet, should be here in a month or two around 450-500$) and should be at least 30% stronger(maybe even 50% in some games) from 5700xt in the link.
SSD is slower too, and yet with all those cutbacks u have to spend almost 1100$, with that u can clearly see 500$ ps5 and even more 400$ digital edition is crazy unprecdented value, far better from what ps4 was at launch, maybe bit similar to what ps3 was ;)
bonus video of how such combo runs games( 55 very popular/some recent some bit dated ones) so u know how games look/run on it.

Top Bottom