• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 can generate haptic feedback from sound effects

Ar¢tos

“We have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily,” the manufacturer said. “In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural, and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game’s sound effects.”

Trolls kept saying that it was a gimmick that only 1st party developers will use, but now there is no excuse for 3rd party developers to not implement it.

Did a search but couldn't find a thread about this. Lock if old please.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Kagey K

Banned

Trolls kept saying that it was a gimmick that only 1st party developers will use, but now there is no excuse for 3rd party developers to not implement it.

Kinect could hear you scream or make the game scarier based on your perspiration.

Gonna need to see it in action, before I believe it.

These sorts of “game changing“ promises are always made at the beginning of the gen, especially when trying to adopt new tech.

Until proven otherwise it’s still a gimmick, with no assured adoption.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Kinect could hear you scream or make the game scarier based on your perspiration.

These sorts of “game changing“ promises are always made at the beginning of the gen, especially when trying to adopt new tech.

Kinect was neither mandatory or essential to play games, the install base also wasn't equal to the console install base, so there was almost no incentive for devs to explore those features.

Without the Dualsense, you cannot play ps5 games. So those 2 are not really comparable.

Raonak

Banned
very cool! seems like the api support for this is gonna be solid. only up to the developers to adopt it.

it's be easier to implement than a lot of other controller features as it doesn't require you to think too hard about how to implement it.
games already have 2 dimension rumble on the DS1-4, so it's not like it's a foriegn concept to them.

Kagey K

Banned
It replaces rumble so it will be used in all games, that’s like expecting no XSX games to have rumble.
It doesn’t mean all publishers are going to adopt the tech, same as they didn’t adopt rumble triggers in the Xbox One or HD rumble on the Switch.

It’s a time will tell feature, and I wouldn’t make a purchasing decision on it.

Specially from a company that told me it was a last gen feature and I didn’t want it just 1 gen ago.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You ever played on a Switch? Same stuff... iPhone haptics? Essentially the same, not as deep tooling though, etc...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I still can't imagine this as a game changer. I mean the impulse triggers in the Xbox controller 2013 are nice, but i wouldn't miss them. It's just a small gimmick and nothing earth-shattering.

Except that this is quite a bit more than old school oscillating mass actuators rumble systems: proper haptics feedback + force feedback triggers is a good leap beyond that.

Kimahri

Banned
Every time I hear about this controller I'm reminded of all the lofty promises about the Switch Joycons and how nothing came of it.

FranXico

It still requires active effort to implement. Not to mention, vibrations generated from audio waveform will not always provide an appropriate "natural" feedback to the player.

I doubt 3rd parties will care.

bitbydeath

It doesn’t mean all publishers are going to adopt the tech, same as they didn’t adopt rumble triggers in the Xbox One or HD rumble on the Switch.

It’s a time will tell feature, and I wouldn’t make a purchasing decision on it.

Specially from a company that told me it was a last gen feature and I didn’t want it just 1 gen ago.

Do you really think devs won’t use rumble in XSX?

supernova8

Banned

Sounds great if it really can generate haptic feedback automatically but there's no such thing as a free lunch. It will almost definitely require some tweaking by developers and that's where the "cannot be bothered" and "nah just leave it" factors come in.

What would be cool is if Sony has a small team dedicated to helping developers with that sort of thing. For instance, suggesting use cases or helping with implementation. Maybe they'll even provide that help for free because anything that positively differentiates the PS5 version (of a third party title) from the XSX version is money in the bank for Sony.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It still requires active effort to implement. Not to mention, vibrations generated from audio waveform will not always provide an appropriate "natural" feedback to the player.

I doubt 3rd parties will care.
Sure, but it is a start (the same exact mechanism you use, from dev interviews, on Switch for its HD Rumble feature: meaning that by adapting it in your pipeline you get not one platform but two and you help your launch window PS5 games stand out).

longdi

Banned
What does this do? Your DS will have more degrees of vibrations in tune to the games sfx?
Idk why anyone will feel 'more' immersed with this extra bit of vibrations on your palms? 🤷‍♀️

If its something like rez stick, where you can stick it somewhere else, somewhere more sensitive etc...? The enjoyment may heighten...but on your palms, im not sure its needed at the expense of battery life and extra work and costs

bitbydeath

Most didn’t use the “haptic rumble” or the trigger motors. Expect the same support for this.

I don’t think you are delusional enough to expect otherwise.

I’m not talking about haptic rumble. I’m talking about rumble. It’s standard in EVERY Playstation game and it’s not going to suddenly vanish next-gen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What does this do? Your DS will have more degrees of vibrations in tune to the games sfx?
Idk why anyone will feel 'more' immersed with this extra bit of vibrations on your palms? 🤷‍♀️

If its something like rez stick, where you can stick it somewhere else, somewhere more sensitive etc...? The enjoyment may heighten...but on your palms, im not sure its needed at the expense of battery life and extra work and costs

Concern concern... haptic feedback must be bad... oh yes, cost and battery, concern concern...

Good thing that you wake up in mid 2020 pretending you never heard of Haptic Feedback and how the vibrations it can produce differ from regular rumble motors and have to have it explained to you. Fine if you need to feel the need to put down anything people might get excited about PS5 by, but this sounds more disingenuous than usual mate.

longdi

Banned
Concern concern... haptic feedback must be bad... oh yes, cost and battery, concern concern...

Good thing that you wake up in mid 2020 pretending you never heard of Haptic Feedback and how the vibrations it can produce differ from regular rumble motors and have to have it explained to you. Fine if you need to feel the need to put down anything people might get excited about PS5 by, but this sounds more disingenuous than usual mate.

Maybe im just jaded 🤷‍♀️

Had experience dual shocking, to Apple haptic force touch, to motion sensing, even Xperia dynamic vibrations to videos...

Imo those holds a fleeting interest on first experience but will soon relegate to the background

Allandor

... what is so special about that?
showing graphics according to sound is nothing new. Vibrating according to sound is not really different, just easier.

longdi

Banned
... what is so special about that?
showing graphics according to sound is nothing new. Vibrating according to sound is not really different, just easier.

Imo controller vibrations or to sound more impressive 'haptic feedback' , is the least interesting feature.

I get hrtf audio and faster ssd. But some tiny motor moving at the expense of battery life, call me old gamer, don't seem the most practical of features 🤷‍♀️

Heck i take analog pressure sensitive buttons over advanced vibrations any day

Last edited:
Imo controller vibrations or to sound more impressive 'haptic feedback' , is the least interesting feature.

I get hrtf audio and faster ssd. But some tiny motor moving at the expense of battery life, call me old gamer, don't seem the most practical of features 🤷‍♀️

U Would take anything xbox gives u bud. Don't kid urself. And will complain about anything ps has 😂👌🤫

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sounds great if it really can generate haptic feedback automatically but there's no such thing as a free lunch. It will almost definitely require some tweaking by developers and that's where the "cannot be bothered" and "nah just leave it" factors come in.

What would be cool is if Sony has a small team dedicated to helping developers with that sort of thing. For instance, suggesting use cases or helping with implementation. Maybe they'll even provide that help for free because anything that positively differentiates the PS5 version (of a third party title) from the XSX version is money in the bank for Sony.

They have 3rd party support teams (SSM in US, Xdev in EU and Japan Studio in Japan) that I'm sure will also be tasked with helping devs use haptic feedback.

Haptic feedback uses less battery than conventional rumble.

longdi

Banned
U Would take anything xbox gives u bud. Don't kid urself. And will complain about anything ps has 😂👌🤫
That's an unfair verdict.

I would love to see analog pressure sensitive buttons make a return.

Just need to increase some more de-pressable height, use those new optical switches perhaps. These would add more gameplay possibilities

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm so jaded on magical controller gimmicks I'll wait till I see it.

This gen the TouchPad on the ps4 was nice especially for those pc ports that require too many buttons (hello warframe I'm looking at you).

Closer

It's funny, if MS was doing this and not Sony , you Xbox fans would be using it as ammo - Saying how MS are great and Sony are being lazy. Its a joke how ass backwards some of you can be to any good Sony news.

The reverse would be true too. Sony fans going "lol what is this gimmick? As a TRUE GAMER, I don't need that in my games! Just look at Nintendo and their gimmicks!"

It'd be funny.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Better rumble is always nice, nintendo did it well before they said fuck it no body cared. I’m sure Sony will get it right though.

It can’t possibly be used worse then the gimmick this gen. Big o map button.

Last edited:

Zannegan

This is pretty standard stuff for these type of haptics. Nintendo has had this exact sound effect > vibration method available for developers since maybe launch.

Helpful, but it hasn’t made third party developers exactly step it up on Switch.
I actually found the sound/rumble kind of irritating in Golf Story. lol.

This may not be shocking or new (like the jamking triggers are), but the increased fidelity of the rumble as a baseline is great.

Even when devs don't aim to make use of it, there are still upsides. It makes lockpicking in Skyrim ridiculously easy, for instance, not because the mechanics have changed, but just because you can sense the target area so much more clearly.

BootsLoader

Banned

Talk about MS dude xD

Harlock

Can´t wait for new reviews:

6a0134814c8ae4970c0133f1a6ac76970b-pi

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Astro and other 3rd party controller makers are shitting themselves. How can they justify their crap now? And that Elite thing...

Last edited:
Top Bottom