• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Beta is perfectly analogous to Sony today

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What makes you think that GoW is DLC or cut content from GoW 2018?
Doesn't look that much different from GOW 2018 in most aspects.
it's an issue most sequels have these days. it's hard to really tell the difference if im being honest. maybe if you've beaten GOW 2018 it might be new content, but for me as an on looker it doesn't look much different. I had the exact same reaction when i saw BOTW2 unveiled, same reaction when i saw Miles Morales, same reaction for a lot of these sequels honestly.

BreakOut

I agree about not advertising their games well. I have friends that have a PlayStation and have no idea when some of these games are coming out. They have no idea the games are even in production. Not everyone is an enthusiast that does the research or uses Twitter to find that shit out. Would be helpful to see some posters at Best Buy. Some sort of physical marketing.
Idk

it's an issue most sequels have these days. it's hard to really tell the difference if im being honest. maybe if you've beaten GOW 2018 it might be new content, but for me as an on looker it doesn't look much different. I had the exact same reaction when i saw BOTW2 unveiled, same reaction when i saw Miles Morales, same reaction for a lot of these sequels honestly.

I don’t see why anyone would expect the sequel to be another reboot. If anything it’s like how the original PS2 games were similar to each other in overall aesthetics and gameplay.

I wouldn’t really go so far as to call it DLC or cut content.

They really shouldn't be 70 dollars to begin with... or even 60. or even 50. and dare i say, 40 is pushing it
I have no problem with games being 70 dollars, adjusted for inflation this isn't very expensive historically.

Games are extremely expensive to make with hundreds of people involved in making them. Many of them earning near 6 figures when considering bonuses and the such.

You can't make enough profit and pay these people selling AAA games for 40 dollars.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I have no problem with games being 70 dollars, adjusted for inflation this isn't very expensive historically.

Games are extremely expensive to make with hundreds of people involved in making them. Many of them earning near 6 figures when considering bonuses and the such.
they are literally fucking digital toys. they are not essential, and you shouldn't be charged an arm and a leg for them. This isn't food, water, shelter or clothing. I really shouldn't be paying for it, let alone paying 70 fucking dollars

I didn't say it was, I said it LOOKS like DLC, LOOKS LIKE, as in it looks iterative rather than evolutionary or revolutionary.

They asked if I was talking about Starfield or GOW and I answered. I know you aren't clear on answering questions asked of you, but I was asked and I answered.

I mean it’s a sequel not another reboot. What exactly were you expecting?

GoW didn’t change a ton until the game was rebooted.

I don’t see why anyone would expect the sequel to be another reboot. If anything it’s like how the original PS2 games were similar to each other in overall aesthetics and gameplay.

I wouldn’t really go so far as to call it DLC or cut content.
You love your straw mans as well.

Who said it had to be a reboot.

God of War 2 blows the doors off God of War 1 and God of War 3 which was on PS3 blows the doors off of God of War 2.

God of War Ragnarok literally looks like an expansion of God of War 2018 and nothing they've shown YET (keyword YET) suggests it is in any way an evolution like past games have been.

EDMIX

They should have been delayed to the summer, a summer that was largely vacant from major releases.

Nah.

The games are still charting and anyone who wanted to buy them, still can buy them.

I wouldn't avoid Hogwarts based on what we've see

smh. You need help man. I see you still don't get the point on those examples.....

LOOKS LIKE, as in it looks iterative rather than evolutionary or revolutionary.

Its a sequel to the game in the same universe running on the same engine.....they have no reason to make it look wildly different for lolz sake. Its suppose to fit the same theme as its the sequel to the reboot.

As for your comments regarding Starfield or God Of War, it sounds like fake concern and irrelevant. Starfield graphically looks horrid and it will still move record units for that team, all their fucking games look horrid and still move massive units, they are known to sell based on what the game is about conceptually, not based on your feelings or if Mibu think it looks like trash etc.

Keep in mind, none of that shit helps your post. It shows your view is based on something personal, emotional and not some objective deep view that we should factor into any of this shit.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i mean i'd agree, but God of War 3 clearly looks VERY different and much superior to GOW 2 on the PS2, and that took less time to make than ragnarok
God of War 3 doesn't look like DLC because the visuals are so drastically different and superior that you can't really say that it was planned or cut content- that'd never run on PS2

You love your straw mans as well.

Who said it had to be a reboot.

God of War 2 blows the doors off God of War 1 and God of War 3 which was on PS3 blows the doors off of God of War 2.

God of War Ragnarok literally looks like an expansion of God of War 2018 and nothing they've shown YET (keyword YET) suggests it is in any way an evolution like past games have been.

Not really those GoW games played pretty similarly until GoW 2018 came out. That’s when the series saw huge changes in story telling and gameplay. Ragnarok is a sequel to GoW 2018 so of course it’s going to be similar.

EDMIX

Folders to sort games, imagine that be too much to expect...

lol yet none of that was on PS3 day 1 though, that came post launch........sooooooooo yea

It was also years into PS4's life that we got the folder update...but shit, you sold more consoles and put out a fuck ton of systems compared to Sony, what do they know right? /s

Last edited:
i mean i'd agree, but God of War 3 clearly looks VERY different and much superior to GOW 2 on the PS2, and that took less time to make than ragnarok
God of War 3 doesn't look like DLC because the visuals are so drastically different and superior that you can't really say that it was planned or cut content- that'd never run on PS2

Maybe it did help that it was exclusive to the PS3. But I wouldn’t call Ragnarok cut content or DLC. I believe it’s going to be its own game and not a copy paste experience.

Not really those GoW games played pretty similarly until GoW 2018 came out. That’s when the series saw huge changes in story telling and gameplay. Ragnarok is a sequel to GoW 2018 so of course it’s going to be similar.

God of War 2018 was a reboot, but God of War 2 was a significant improvement to 1 in terms of graphics and gameplay and God of War 3 blew God of War 2 out of the water.

You don't need to reboot a franchise to make a tremendous improvement in the sequel, especially on new hardware. Though that is part of the problem here, that God of War Ragnarok is really a PS4 game and not a PS5 game.

You look at Demon's Souls made from the ground up on PS5 and you can tell what you can do with the PS5. So far really the only extremely impressive game Sony has made on PS5 this gen and it was a launch title.

Special mention for Rift Apart though.

God of War 2018 was a reboot, but God of War 2 was a significant improvement to 1 in terms of graphics and gameplay and God of War 3 blew God of War 2 out of the water.

You don't need to reboot a franchise to make a tremendous improvement in the sequel, especially on new hardware. Though that is part of the problem here, that God of War Ragnarok is really a PS4 game and not a PS5 game.

You look at Demon's Souls made from the ground up on PS5 and you can tell what you can do with the PS5. So far really the only extremely impressive game Sony has made on PS5 this gen and it was a launch title.

Special mention for Rift Apart though.

Demon Souls is basically the same game that the PS3 version was but with enchanced visuals.

But I understand the direction your going in. I’m guessing your just complaining that GoW isn’t a true current gen exclusive rather than calling it a DLC.

I still believe the game will be it’s own experience though and will prove itself to be a lot more than DLC like content. I mean they have been working on it for a while now.

Unknown?

they are literally fucking digital toys. they are not essential, and you shouldn't be charged an arm and a leg for them. This isn't food, water, shelter or clothing. I really shouldn't be paying for it, let alone paying 70 fucking dollars
My mom bought me Sonic and Knuckles in 1994. It was $70 and could be beaten in under two hours. Adjusted for inflation that was $140.

Going with your extreme point of view even electricity isn't essential.

EDMIX

Neither did 1 and 2. They share the same engine, system etc.
but God of War 3 clearly looks VERY different and much superior to GOW 2 on the PS2
Yes...its also exclusive to PS3 and made for it vs the first 2.
God of War 3 doesn't look like DLC
Sure but, one could argue God Of War Ascension looks like God Of War 3, they share the same engine, system etc.

So I don't disagree with you on it looking like the last game, simply that its moot.

God Of War 1 and 2 look alike, on PS2
God Of War Chains Of Olympus and Ghost Of Sparta, both on PSP
God Of War 3 and Ascension...both on PS3

Why would anyone be shocked that God Of War 2018 and Ragnarok look similar?

So if looking similar means looking like DLC, thats like the whole series with games using the same engine, system etc lol So this is cross gen with PS5, not made only for PS5 kinda like Persona 5 made for PS3, cross gen with PS4 type of deal.

Sure but, one could argue God Of War Ascension looks like God Of War 3, they share the same engine, system etc.

So I don't disagree with you on it looking like the last game, simply that its moot.

So if looking similar means looking like DLC, thats like the whole series with games using the same engine, system etc lol So this is cross gen with PS5, not made only for PS5 kinda like Persona 5 made for PS3, cross gen with PS4 type of deal.

I’m pretty sure the PS5 version will have improvements that will make it worth picking over the PS4 version. However I still think the game will look very good even though it’s playable on the PS4. I know HFW looks pretty great on my PS5 and that game has a PS4 version available.

God of war 2 does NOT look like God of war 1... night and day...

and God of War Ascension almost doomed Santa Monica it was so poorly received.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My mom bought me Sonic and Knuckles in 1994. It was $70 and could be beaten in under two hours. Adjusted for inflation that was $140.
Sonic and Knuckles was also released back in 1994 when video games were far younger, on a cartridge that costs far more to produce than a blu ray disk, by a company that was nowhere near as rich as gaming companies are these days

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I really shouldn't be paying for it, let alone paying 70 fucking dollars
genesiscatalog-inflation-adjusted.jpg

Do you know how inflation works? This is even a 2010 calculation - today Streets of Rage 2 would cost $135.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
genesiscatalog-inflation-adjusted.jpg

Do you know how inflation works? This is even a 2010 calculation - today Streets of Rage 2 would cost $135.
Sonic and Knuckles was also released back in 1994 when video games were far younger, on a cartridge that costs far more to produce than a blu ray disk, by a company that was nowhere near as rich as gaming companies are these days
you guys do realize it's fucking 2022 right? it's not the fucking 90s anymore. game prices shouldn't have to adhere to prices we had 30 years ago

Last edited:

EDMIX

You can't say that about this God Of War either though. No one at Sony is claiming this is content that could never run on PS4 yet works on PS4 or something weird like that. So the drastic move from God Of War 2 to 3 is no different then from 3 to God Of War 2018.

Those sequels using the same engine generally are not going to be some massive huge leap, historically they have been minimal. Like God Of War 3 to Ascension.

Almost all the God Of Wars to my memory have elements of what wasn't in some past game, in the next one, like things left behind from God Of War 1, make it in 2, but that doesn't mean 2 is some DLC or something odd like that.

As for the whole inflation talk.....64, sir....game developers don't live in bubbles, they are effected by the economy. The price on games even staying like the did for all those decades is amazing and fucking rare for any industry, but it must go up and we need to face reality here.

While that price stayed the same, we saw DLC after DLC, MTX up the ass, season passes, several versions day 1 and any way to make more money...why? Not simply greed sir, but the price stayed the same, thus they needed to make more money thru other channels.

Not only should those games be 70, they should be more based on simple inflation. We are lucky to even be JUST paying 70 compared to other industries man.

Last edited:
Of course they should. Games at that time didn't nearly take as long to make as games take to make today.

$70 is cheap cheap for a game that takes 4-5 years to make today and have ~100 hours of playtime.

I remembered how short the credits used to be back then. I believe AAA games today require a lot more people than those SNES/Genesis games.

Yeah you can multiply it in the thousands in some instances.

I just looked up some things and holy heck.

The game that would become Sonic the Hedgehog was developed by a team of seven: two programmers, two sound engineers, and three designers,[29] although it began with just Naka and Ohshima.[24] People came onto the team as content for the game increased.[24]After being assigned a project with the code name "Defeat Mario", Naka and Ohshima began working together on the game. However, they eventually encountered problems: Ohshima's Rabbit proved hard to program. In addition, catching items and throwing them broke the action's rhythm. Furthermore, Naka stated that the rabbit was not suitable for his game engine and that he wanted the game to be playable with only one button. As such, Hirokazu Yasuhara joined the team to supervise Naka and Ohshima and develop levels. Eventually, his greater experience led to him becoming the game's lead designer. He also found the way to make the game playable with only one button by having Sonic do damage while jumping. From there, the trio came up with the idea of Sonic rolling into a ball. After the hedgehog character was chosen, many characters were redrawn, and the team agreed on the environments' visual complexity, with particular focus on the colors. After this, four people came onto the team to speed up the development.[30]

Yup. I changed it to hundreds, cause thousands I'm not so sure - but definitely hundreds.

I wasn’t aware that those games were made by such a small team. Teams today are gigantic in comparison unless your talking about simple indie games. Pretty amazing how much development has changed.

EDMIX

I wasn’t aware that those games were made by such a small team. Teams today are gigantic in comparison unless your talking about simple indie games. Pretty amazing how much development has changed.

Facts. We need a thread talking about theses small tidbits.....far more interesting then Mibu being triggered at shit lol

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Extremely amazing. And that we only pay $70 for art in this scale is beyond belief. Travel back in time 30 years and tell them about how we buy these games for $35 they wouldn't believe us.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
While that price stayed the same, we saw DLC after DLC, MTX up the ass, season passes, several versions day 1 and any way to make more money
we are still seeing that today with 70 dollar games. Unless Gran Turismo 7 and the new 2k GAMES don't have microtransactions?
MTX are put in because the suits in the top want to buy more lamborghinis and yachts
it has nothing to do with the price of games staying the same for 15 years

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We are lucky to even be JUST paying 70 compared to other industries man.
compared to other industries? what the fuck? every other industry has their shit cheap as hell!! when's the last time you saw a music CD for 70 fucking dollars? whens the last time you saw a movie blu ray for 60 dollars?

Last edited:
As much as we've complained about Sony, I think this is completely off-base. Sony is actually one of the rare few actually delivering timely content, along with Japanese third parties like Capcom/Square. We at least get a few AAA games every year interspersed with big-budget AA games. Horizon FW was absolutely in a playable state when it delivered, it just had some odd QOL issues and the 60 fps mode wasn't as clear. But there were more modes available than the original game had. From a glitch/bug/production standpoint it was absolutely fine.

2020 - Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, AstroBot
2021 - Returnal, Ratchet, Kena
2022 - HFW, GT7, SIFU. Stray, TLOU Part 1, GoW: R
2023 - Factions, Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, Forspoken, FF7:R Part 2

This is an acceptable lineup, even though I'd personally like to see more ACTUAL next-gen exclusives. These are all quality releases.

The bigger problem is the complete lack of quality WESTERN third party titles and continued struggles from Microsoft first party. Where is EA? Where is Activision? Where is Ubisoft? Where is Crystal Dynamics? Where is Rocksteady? Where is Rockstar? They are essentially all MIA with tons of problems. It feels like whenever COVID hit their entire employee base just gave up on being efficient or timely and all secretly hate their management and just phoning it in big time. The entire year of posting a donut for Microsoft is another unacceptable place to be. They had a good 2021 and absolutely nothing the next year. With all the investment Phil has made this should not be happening in 2022.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
compared to other industries? what the fuck? every other industry has their shit cheap as hell!! when's the last time you saw a music CD for 70 fucking dollars? whens the last time you saw a movie blu ray for 60 dollars?
CD prices hasn't changed for 30 years. Blu-ray prices hasn't changed for 15 years. Inflation tho'...

Both markets are taken over by streaming - and there's a reason for that. Subscription based services are the only way to keep the wheels turning in those industries, cause they can't make enough money to make great content without millions of subscribers paying for a service every month.

This is also why Microsoft went full on with GamePass, cause they know it's the future for gaming. It's the only way they can scale content Vs. subscribers. I think Sony will do the same in next generation. Also digital only.

FUBARx89

Eh, I'm in the 2.0 firmware beta. I'd prefer it if they fixed rest mode patches so they download outside of your recently played list, a common problem since the ps5 launched.

1440p is canny worthless to me, VRR doesn't even work with it. Seems like a half measure from the Sony side really.

But lets be honest. PS firmware is usually shite regardless.

Thief1987

didn't say it was, I said it LOOKS like DLC, LOOKS LIKE, as in it looks iterative rather than evolutionary or revolutionary.
And? Is it bad? Elden Ring not only looks but it is iterative ubisoft from software conveyer type of game, and somehow you all can't shut up about it.

Wtf, both forbidden west and Gran Turismo 7 released to great reviews and we still find both of them on the charts. The games weren't butchered on release Lmao. If those games had half the bugs and issues Elden Ring had what would you say?

And Gran Turismo 7 metascore was due to that update they released 2 weeks after the game was out. They reversed back those changes quickly. The score remained the same as when a game is review bombed.

The beta....are we really making topics based on betas? There's a reason it's a beta. They even told us the update for those things is coming out in a few months. Things aren't even releasing that to their audience yet.

About the lack of footage for spider Man 2...you just said it. It releases next year. You just seem stuck in the past. Those marketing cycles are gone. No need to release unfinished footage a year in advance only to have potentially people like you zooming in on every detail to complain later. Better to just give us a gameplay video closer to release date.

So much concern over weird details.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And? Is it bad? Elden Ring not only looks but it is iterative ubisoft from software conveyer type of game, and somehow you all can't shut up about it.
difference is that elden ring is literally open world. it's a great deal larger than any souls game that came before. if you showed me an image of ER and showed me an image od DS i'd quickly tell the difference because one is set in a linear corridor and the other in an open field

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This argument is a fallacy. Explain why their games have sold less than they expected this quarter. That's squarely on Horizon and GT7 being less successful than they anticipated.

My very point is Sony hasn't executed as well as they have historically and your argument is, historically they've executed well, so despite not executing in the past couple of years, they'll continue to execute as they have historically.
Perhaps people are waiting for the PS5 version?
Not everybody just jump on PS4 you know.
It pandemic, inflation etc.....Sony cant control that.

Pretty unfair to compare the sales to the previous entry as PS4 is everywhere....

Last edited:
Top Bottom