• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Audio Impressions (AV Surround System)

Tqaulity

For reference: I have a 7.2.4 Atmos home theater with a high-fidelity speaker system priced well into the 5 digits

I finally received my PS5 yesterday and am (slowly) getting my feet wet with various games and features. I had hoped someone here would have created a (sticky) thread for next gen impressions from owners for PS5 and Xbox Series as there are many people still wondering what the experience is really like with these new consoles (but I digress). But one area that I was extremely interested in was the audio quality and what improvements the new Tempest Audio engine would have on PS5 games in general, particularly on AV Home theater setups. Thus far, audio impressions have been fairly limited from media and consumers. The feedback we have gotten has been predominantly around headphones and the difference the proprietary "3D audio" makes with most saying the difference was very minimal. Then there was the focus on headphones to take advantage of the Tempest Audio at launch where Sony seemed to give the shaft to those with more advanced surround sound systems (and Atmos 3D capable systems). So needless to say, my expectations were pretty dampened in terms what to expect from the PS5 audio once I got it running.

So imagine my surprise: words cannot express how much better the sound is coming from the PS5 compared to the PS4!! It is absolutely a night and day difference and is a much bigger difference (IMO) than the graphical upgrade on cross gen games at least. EVERYTHING coming out of the PS5 including the system UI sounds, music (i.e. Spotifly), and games sound remarkably superior to the PS4. Anyone that knows audio and pays attention to sound quality will appreciate the improvements, especially on a hi-fidelity setup. The detail, precision, locality, and presence of the sound is simply the best I have heard in my audio system from any source (including most Atmos enabled movies). It's really hard to describe in words, but it really reminds me of "HD sound" or sorts where a "veil" has been lifted off of all the sound to the point where it made my speakers sound new again. Really incredible stuff and I'm shocked that nobody is talking more about this.

So let me clear the air about PS5 functioning in an existing Atmos enabled 3D surround system. First, to reiterate NO the PS5 does not support Dolby atmos in games. For folks that have an atmos capable AV processor, you're probably aware that nearly all of them include a Dolby surround "upmixer" that takes any source and converts it into an "atmos-like" experience that uses every speaker in your setup (including the heights). Yes, playing PS4 games through this mechanism resulted in some minimal sound effects coming from my height speakers but nothing prepared me for what it sounds like on the PS5. It's clear that the extra processing power devoted to sound plus the embedded 3D audio encoding on PS5 games makes for an ideal input stream to the Dolby upmixer. Simply put, I have never heard my system sound so alive from any source in the past including most UHD Blu-Rays and Atmos enabled games on the Xbox One X. If Sony is still said to add improvements to home theater users in the future, I cannot imagine what that will sound like.

Again, the biggest takeaway here isn't that the sound is "louder" or more bass heavy or anything like that. Most audiophiles will know that it's all about the accuracy and realism. The sound is so precise and balanced coming from the PS5, which are trademarks of hi-fi accurate sound. It just sounds so real! Frankly, the audio added a level of immersion to every experience I had with the system from Astro's Playroom to NBA2K21 to Call of Duty that far surpassed the visuals for me.

So yeah....I really wanted to get this out there and highlight the efforts Sony put in the audio side of things as it has not been discussed enough thus far. Before anyone brings it up, I have not heard the Xbox Series X on my system (or a similar surround system) so I cannot compare. What I can say is that:
  1. The sound is vastly improved for everything across the board compared to the PS4 (and the PS3 which itself sounded better than the PS4)
  2. The surround sound I get from the 7.1 LPCM output from PS5 into my Atmos AV processer with Dolby surround upmixing is superior to ANY gaming experience I've heard in my system including the Atmos output from Xbox One X and the 7.1 output from the PS3
  3. The sheer fidelity of the sound is among the best audio I've heard in my home to date from any source
Tempest has made me a believer and I am delighted at the results. The impressions I've heard so far had me feeling like we were getting "more of the same" with regards to audio unless you had a headset capable of experiencing the 3D audio. However, the advantages of the custom audio processor goes a long way to ensuring that developers have a lot more tools to play with in the audio department and EVERYONE will hear enhanced sound from whatever they are playing. To think that it will only improve from hear is just so exciting.

Please if others have impressions on the sound, I'd love to hear it. Also for those with Xbox Series consoles, are you hearing a noticeable improvement compared to the (already great) Atmos output from Xbox One S/X?

What is your setup? I personally like unaltered audio. I know it couldn't touch my DAC setup, but would be curious to see it's short comings.

Last edited:

Elog

Completely agree with OP. I sit in the same boat regarding set-up (investment/technology wise) even though it is a 5.1 system.

The first thing that hit me was as well how much more accurate and rich the sound output is. Would be very interesting to actually compare the output signal with a game that exists on both PS4 and PS5 to understand the delta - because there clearly is one.

I've taken PS5 through the paces on 5.1.2, and as soon as I booted AC: Valhalla on Series X...the very first scene in the hall, told me everything I needed to know about the impact of true Dolby Atmos in games. PS5 sounds extremely flat by comparison. I shit you not. Buy a Series X, and you will be transported.

I am extremely disappointed that Tempest doesnt create a separate height channels with all that data. It is similar to my Yamaha upmixing if not more horizontal. A true waste until they create distinct channels for Atmos speakers and send the sound to them. I respect your view and you have the speakers..very credible. But true Dolby Atmos in games (even with my shit upfiring speakers) is the champ for now.

jaysius

Banned
That's awesome. I didn't know tempest worked with AV systems.

It currently doesn't do shit unless you have headphones.

Tempest was never meant to help people with TRUE surround system, it's oddball tech a "poor man's surround" solution for TV speakers and headphones on a machine that costs $400-$500 so the "poor men" don't even get to use it.

Tempest isn't even a new concept, Creative have been trying to make this work with HARDWARE solutions for almost 30 years now, they're most successful surround gaming sound idea was EAX and even that wasn't widely adopted.

Sony is having issues outputting it to anything besides PS5's USB jack and the Dual Sense.

Any good audio tech needs to be WIDELY ADOPTED to WORK. Making it exclusive to 1 piece of hardware with 2 skus is hardly the right idea.

OP is probably discovering what a few HDMI 2.1 cables do for a setup. It sounds like something was bottlenecking his audio bandwidth and now it's been removed. Or this is 100% placebo.

Starts talking about audiophile stuff, then goes on about Dolby "UPMIXING" no real audiophile would touch ANY form of upmixing with a 40 foot isolation spike.

It's great that OP is loving the audio coming out of his setup now, but some of this post reads as "I need to convince myself this was worth it". There is a TON of misguided audio advice going around this board, be wary.

Last edited:

timmyp53

I'm with THEAP99 THEAP99 that tempest audio via headsets(I use the 3D Pulse) does sound a bit quieter than I would like. I'm just sticking with using my AVR unless it is very late at night. Sony has said that tempest audio is in its infancy so I think it will improve with time. The fullness and range is pretty damn good though.

Edit:
AVR tempest support is step 3 on sony's Tempest roadmap and was highlighted in the road to playstation J jaysius . You are probably on the money on the placebo effect but I personally think you are wrong about it being a poor man's solution. Nothing beats AVR imo either but it has lots of potential and hearing it myself makes me think it will be a great option soon.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've taken PS5 through the paces on 5.1.2, and as soon as I booted AC: Valhalla on Series X...the very first scene in the hall, told me everything I needed to know about the impact of true Dolby Atmos in games. PS5 sounds extremely flat by comparison. I shit you not. Buy a Series X, and you will be transported.

I am extremely disappointed that Tempest doesnt create a separate height channels with all that data. It is similar to my Yamaha upmixing if not more horizontal. A true waste until they create distinct channels for Atmos speakers and send the sound to them. I respect your view and you have the speakers..very credible. But true Dolby Atmos in games (even with my shit upfiring speakers) is the champ for now.
SAD news. I was actually looking forward to playing ps4 rhythm games on the 5.

THEAP99

Banned
I'm with THEAP99 THEAP99 that tempest audio via headsets(I use the 3D Pulse) does sound a bit quieter than I would like. I'm just sticking with using my AVR unless it is very late at night. Sony has said that tempest audio is in its infancy so I think it will improve with time. The fullness and range is pretty damn good though.

Edit:
AVR tempest support is step 3 on sony's Tempest roadmap and was highlighted in the road to playstation J jaysius . You are probably on the money on the placebo effect but I personally think you are wrong about it being a poor man's solution. Nothing beats AVR imo either but it has lots of potential and hearing it myself makes me think it will be a great option soon.
the 3d audio improves the surround sound but the quality itself becomes muffled. it's so weird and disappointing to me. i don't know how they released it in this sate

Dackelbein

Using a Dali Opticon 5.1.2 setup here with my Denon 4500 and I'm absolutely disappointed about the lack of Atmos or DTS:X. Also got a XBox Series X, running DTS:X on it (prefer it to Atmos), which sounds noticeably better than my PS5.
I'm not using LPCM since my receiver offers better decoding quality than my gaming consoles.

HE1NZ

Banned

As per usual, another marketed audio gimmick that just ruins clean sound in one way or another.

the 3d audio improves the surround sound but the quality itself becomes muffled. it's so weird and disappointing to me. i don't know how they released it in this sate
Nothing will sound better than it's original recording, mastering, and it's intended way to be played. Artificially trying to place sounds in a 3D space, can sound good, but will lack the true dynamics of how it's replicated to our ears in real life. Turning on Atmos in a movie that wasn't recorded with it in mind , won't sound "better", but it'll sound different. Certain frequencies will play at a higher DB, while others will be drowned out and blended in the background.

On the other hand, movies and games that were created with Atmos in mind, do sound great. I'll use it for movies, but for games, I'll keep it flat and unaltered.

longdi

Banned
To op, I feel perplexed if the difference you heard is in fidelity/quality. Because ps4 and ps5 should be outputting the same digital uncompressed/lossless audio signal.

If you were saying ps5 sounded more spacious, more reverby, more precision and accuracy. That would have been more sensible with the added processing power of tempest to generate more accurate sound samples 🤷‍♀️

longdi

Banned

Sounds similar to the dolby atmos upscaling found in many android phones. It helps in spacing out the audio, centralise vocals, but at the same time stretching the original quality a bit tinny

THEAP99

Banned
Sounds similar to the dolby atmos upscaling found in many android phones. It helps in spacing out the audio, centralise vocals, but at the same time stretching the original quality a bit tinny
yeah.. ill just stick with stereo. i wasn't big on the 3d audio i tried out in the platinum this past summer either.

It's disappointing to read these reviews of PS5 audio.
Sony know audio, and I would have thought that PS5 would have leveraged the prime parts of their sound division, but alas.
I know MS put alot of work into the audio as well, using Dolby and also their own solutions, but I would have thought Sony would have had a leg up in this area.

timmyp53

Cerny did say basically say what amounts to 3D audio being in its infancy.

Cerny In regards to its new 3D audio efforts:
"It's much more the case that we had a dream of what might be possible five years from now and then worked out a number of steps we could take to set us on that path."

"Now 3D Audio is a major academic research topic it's safe to say that no one in the world all of the answers.
And the set of algorithms that has to be invented tuned or implemented to realize our vision for 3D Audio is immense."

"This is a journey we'll all be taking together over the next few years ultimately we're committing to enabling everyone to experience that next level of realism."

jaysius

Banned
It's disappointing to read these reviews of PS5 audio.
Sony know audio, and I would have thought that PS5 would have leveraged the prime parts of their sound division, but alas.
I know MS put alot of work into the audio as well, using Dolby and also their own solutions, but I would have thought Sony would have had a leg up in this area.

Project Acoustics Overview - Game Stack | Microsoft Docs

MS' solution maintains compatibility while offering developers the tools to make their audio great. They also have a dedicated audio chip on the Series consoles.

Expecting every dev to put work into a TEMPEST 3D AUDIO track might be a bit much without creating strict mandates requiring it for multiplatform games.

"It's much more the case that we had a dream of what might be possible five years from now and then worked out a number of steps we could take to set us on that path."

"Now 3D Audio is a major academic research topic it's safe to say that no one in the world all of the answers.
And the set of algorithms that has to be invented tuned or implemented to realize our vision for 3D Audio is immense."

"This is a journey we'll all be taking together over the next few years ultimately we're committing to enabling everyone to experience that next level of realism."

You're describing the work of a beta tester.

Creating a new audio standard from the ground up is hard to do. But if it works out it'll be worth it.

If it does work out the next trick will be convincing AVR makers to integrate it(if that needs to be done for the AVR integration).

Xbox One's integration of Windows Sonic was really bad at first and still is pretty mediocre, it's great that they opened things up and let Dolby Atmos and DTS:X(has individual profiles for almost ALL headphones on the market ensuring optimal sound quality) for headphones into the mix.

If you don't enjoy TEMPEST 3D AUDIO right now, who knows how this thing might evolve, I hope it's perfect by the time I purchase the PS5 slim or PS5 Pro.

COMPETITION pushes COMPETITION this is all only a good thing.

If people DO NOT like the way the TEMPEST 3D AUDIO sounds today, you can't really argue with that, as it is a SUBJECTIVE THING so it will VARY. Hell look at all those tools with Beats and Bose sound equipment, and the people that KNOW that MONSTER cables improved audio quality.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

welp i hope it improves overtime

onesvenus

I thought Vakhalla didn't support Atmos? It's not showing as Atmos in my receiver and it does when playing other Atmos-enabled games like FH4 or Gears 5.

Having said that, I have been much more impressed with Atmos than with the PS5 sound output both in Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. Tqaulity Tqaulity which games did you try? I want to check them to see if I hear that difference you say.

yurqqa

That's also what I felt - XBOX Series X sounds really great, but PS5 sounds exactly as PS4 did, which is not bad, but I can hear no improvements.

But I think that's what Sony said - at launch they were focused on 3D sounds for the headphones. Then they'll do it of TV speakers.
And then if they have time, they'll do somethin for multispeaker setups.

So no surprises there.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Simply put, I have never heard my system sound so alive from any source in the past including most UHD Blu-Rays and Atmos enabled games on the Xbox One X.

tbt.gif

PS: The tempest engine doesn't do anything by itself. It's simply hardware that gives devs more power to further enhance the game's audio but that requires DIRECT and EXPLICIT developer involvement. It's like adding more RAM and hoping the console will magically improve graphics by itself. So if you're noticing anything more with PS5 than PS4 in the same games that's called Placebo - aka you're bullshitting yourself; or more likely it was bullshit from the start and you're just stirring the pot.

Dackelbein

If you don't enjoy TEMPEST 3D AUDIO right now, who knows how this thing might evolve, I hope it's perfect by the time I purchase the PS5 slim or PS5 Pro.

COMPETITION pushes COMPETITION this is all only a good thing.

If people DO NOT like the way the TEMPEST 3D AUDIO sounds today, you can't really argue with that, as it is a SUBJECTIVE THING so it will VARY. Hell look at all those tools with Beats and Bose sound equipment, and the people that KNOW that MONSTER cables improved audio quality.

This, the more competition the better, and let's hope Tempest will evolve in a good way.

skneogaf

My work friend is very disappointed with the sound actually and he too has dolby atmos although only 5.1.2. He said it sounds normal aka ps4 which is obvious as it can't be any different.

If the game has good sound on ps5 it should sound exactly the same on a ps4 version if played on a av receiver either setting it to dolby/dts/pcm.

JeloSWE

I run a stereo system with SVS Ultra Towers and minDSP. After setting the proper AV amplifier and 2.0 output it sound great. I still think the added 3D spatial audio processing power of the PS5 helps with calculating ingame sounds directionality etc and it comes through nicely on my set up and help locating enemies that are off camera and such. I don't claim to be an audiophile, and I don't listen too critically to audio quality after I've decided to keep a system but to me it all sound very good.

Tqaulity

tbt.gif

PS: The tempest engine doesn't do anything by itself. It's simply hardware that gives devs more power to further enhance the game's audio but that requires DIRECT and EXPLICIT developer involvement. It's like adding more RAM and hoping the console will magically improve graphics by itself. So if you're noticing anything more with PS5 than PS4 in the same games that's called Placebo - aka you're bullshitting yourself; or more likely it was bullshit from the start and you're just stirring the pot.
Lol...placebo? You don’t know me do you?

Tqaulity

My work friend is very disappointed with the sound actually and he too has dolby atmos although only 5.1.2. He said it sounds normal aka ps4 which is obvious as it can't be any different.

If the game has good sound on ps5 it should sound exactly the same on a ps4 version if played on a av receiver either setting it to dolby/dts/pcm.
I wonder how many people saying that it’s placebo and the PS4 and PS5 should sound the same have actually heard a PS5 in person on the same sound device as PS4? Clearly not many because if you had you would clearly tell that they don’t.

I’m telling you what I heard on the same sound system after playing PS4 games for 7 years and PS5 games for 1 hour! The difference is that noticeable. Instead of just refuting based on theory, try having an open mind and checking it out for yourself.

I noticed the same too, PS5 sounds more "dynamic or strong" than PS5 did, even spotify sounds flat on PS4 vs other sources

I have 4.1.2 atmos setup with wharfedale 10.2 speakers + big closed diy sub

yurqqa

I wonder how many people saying that it’s placebo and the PS4 and PS5 should sound the same have actually heard a PS5 in person on the same sound device as PS4? Clearly not many because if you had you would clearly tell that they don’t.

I’m telling you what I heard on the same sound system after playing PS4 games for 7 years and PS5 games for 1 hour! The difference is that noticeable. Instead of just refuting based on theory, try having an open mind and checking it out for yourself.

Cerny said it himself that in the beginning 3D sound will be available only for the headphones.

But if you hear the difference and enjoying it - good for you.

Hostile_18

Banned

Have to agree with this as a fellow Atmos user. The OP's post is so glowing it makes me wonder if I've got the wrong audio settings on my PS5 lol. It's not that different than PS4 for me but Xboxs series X Atmos audio is night and day better for me (and I prefer the PS5 console overall).

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have to admit I too have noticed a bit of a difference.
It's like DD5.1 vs DDHD 7.1
probably just a placebo effect

longdi

Banned
I have to admit I too have noticed a bit of a difference.
It's like DD5.1 vs DDHD 7.1
probably just a placebo effect

Or they increased the default loudness level? Try to equalise ps4 loudness and come again? Granted you have to play the same titles.

Though I don't think ACV ps5 vs ps4 to uses higher quality samples? Most people can't hear difference once pass 384khz

Imo what you should look hear for, is any increase in sound effects? More obvious positioning?

Last edited:

vpance

Imagine if Demon Souls actually used your height speakers, like for when the dragons fly over. I think that would be pretty nice. Will it ever happen in the next 6 years? Who knows.

Burger

I'm glad it sounds better, but if it takes a massive Dolby Atmos system priced into the 5 digits to hear the difference - I am not shocked more people are not talking about this.

TrebleShot

The misinformation in this thread is palpable and not at all surprising as Sony has done a poor job of explaining the differences in Tempest and something like Dolby Atmos, also fairly amusing to see everyone going mad for Atmos when in-itself is a fairly basic but effective system but by no means more advanced than tempest.

Tempest is a 3D audio system currently only available on PS5 via headphones, the difference is clear and large and yes there is a marked improvement over PS4 faux 5.1 headsets or even stereo headsets.

What is so different to Atmos? Atmos uses a banding system where the directional sound comes from 32 fixed and standardized placements in the phantom imaging (Psychoacoustic placement) in some systems such as fully equipped Atmos auditoriums these 32 channels are physically represented with speakers. Most home set ups have a maximum of 9 or a soundbar using phase algorithums and EQ shifting to represent 32 points of reference bounced off walls etc in your home.

Neither of these methods are as detailed or positionally accurate as tempest which has roughly 200-300 sound reference points which are most importantly object based and represented to the listener much like the real world, the difference being that Atmos will take sound sources and bundle them in relative reference points in thier banding system (upper right, lower left, upper surround left, etc , etc) any object based sound source will be muxxed into those channels, whereas tempest will deliver the sound from source.

That is my understanding of the two systems without going into an essay about HRTF and the accuracy it proposes against atmos for headphones, essentially atmost for headphones takes banding and applies it to headphones whereas HRTF is more object based.

Try your HRTF profiles in the PS5 menu and see whats more accurate for you, but the difference on headphones is palpable, on soundbars etc, the tech hasnt been adapted yet so youll get standard 5.1.

Tygeezy

I’d love to add atmos speakers but I have a vaulted ceilings so up firing speakers are a no go. The wife also doesn’t like the idea of speakers mounted on the ceiling and with the ceiling being vaulted it makes it much more difficult to place them anyway.

Whitecrow

Banned
People with 50$ headsets saying there's no difference or it's worse because it's not as loud.

It's like playing 4K games in a Gameboy screen and saying they look bad.

I mean, there's educated hearing, and uneducated hearing.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Or they increased the default loudness level? Try to equalise ps4 loudness and come again? Granted you have to play the same titles.

Though I don't think ACV ps5 vs ps4 to uses higher quality samples? Most people can't hear difference once pass 384khz

Imo what you should look hear for, is any increase in sound effects? More obvious positioning?
That's what I mean, I wouldn't say it's louder
Just more distinctive

Ev1L AuRoN

A more realistic sound is not necessarily louder, in fact, the precision makes a lot of sounds quieter more life like, that's based on distance and position, I think a lot of people are costumed to gaming headphones that boost some frequencies to make footsteps and other noises louder to give a competitive edge.

Like the force feedback triggers on the DualSense, the TEMPEST audio will do more for immersion than for competitive gameplay.

skneogaf

I gave my friend a pair of spare akg y50 headphone to try the actual 3d sound as like mentioned he is saying 5.1 sounds normal through his 5.1.2 av set up.

Self

OP is probably discovering what a few HDMI 2.1 cables do for a setup

HDMI 2.1 cables for better sound?
You seem to suffer from placebo yourself.

If you were saying ps5 sounded more spacious, more reverby, more precision and accuracy. That would have been more sensible with the added processing power of tempest to generate more accurate sound samples 🤷‍♀️

He is right in regards to PS3 sounding better then PS4. So I'll give it a try and look for a difference in soundstage, accuracy etc.

I thought Vakhalla didn't support Atmos? It's not showing as Atmos in my receiver and it does when playing other Atmos-enabled games like FH4 or Gears 5.

He probably refers to atmos upmix (fake) as sounding superior.

Top Bottom