• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 appears to show physical games taking up much less space than digital (but they aren't)

Skyfox

This is how it was on 360 and ps3 and with the PUNY 600gb on PS5, this would be awesome if true.

It also pisses me off when the game is not actually on the disc (looking at you Tony Hawk with your despicable download required notice on the disc box).

Day 1 updates are a scourge on media ownership and the disc should always function independently (even if it doesn't have the latest patch enhancements).

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Hmmmm..... I got the PS5 version of AC:V on Disc. The install size is indeed shown as 16 GB on the PS5 but what isn't shown is the 44 GB patch I also downloaded. I can't show this anymore. The PS4 had a download history but I can't find something similar on the PS5.

I'm now running AC:V 1.02

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hmmmm..... I got the PS5 version of AC:V on Disc. The install size is indeed shown as 16 GB on the PS5 but what isn't shown is the 44 GB patch I also downloaded. I can't show this anymore. The PS4 had a download history but I can't find something similar on the PS5.

I'm now running AC:V 1.02

I think this is where the issue is. You are not seeing the update and it's not reflecting in the overall file size.

DryvBy

this is not truth , shit thread.

all games are played on from drive and they have all exact same size.
disk is useless trade/selling tool at this point since content on disk already outdated before game arrives to your copy.

you may not like digital gaming thats fine but dont think you "own" games when what you own is simple plastic selling tool

Ok. Prove me wrong then. I'll wait for an eternity and then some for your to provide any proof to the contrary because you won't be able to provide anything.

I think this is where the issue is. You are not seeing the update and it's not reflecting in the overall file size.

Even ignoring AC, Demon's Souls is another showing this same difference. Spiderman was patched too and it shows the same as the digital.

I also added up everything (I might just record a video of this) and it's showing up as the exact number it shows I've used. I wish someone official would stop by on this because I'm really curious as to what's happeneing.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At first I thought this had to be a mistake, since it doesn't seem to make any sense. But yeah, maybe there's something to the idea that video files and such are read from the disc, and only game data that needs blazing speed is installed. Would be very clever.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok. Prove me wrong then. I'll wait for an eternity and then some for your to provide any proof to the contrary because you won't be able to provide anything.

Even ignoring AC, Demon's Souls is another showing this same difference. Spiderman was patched too and it shows the same as the digital.

I also added up everything (I might just record a video of this) and it's showing up as the exact number it shows I've used. I wish someone official would stop by on this because I'm really curious as to what's happeneing.

Yeah, this is strange. Where did the 44GB patch go? Then again, AC seems to be bugged with even giving you the PS5 version from the PS4, so maybe there is issues beyond that.

Iorv3th

Best way to confirm is you and your buddy both install the same stuff. Then instead of checking the storage used by game check the overall free storage available on the sytem. That will tell you if its reporting correctly or not.

this is not truth , shit thread.

all games are played on from drive and they have all exact same size.
disk is useless trade/selling tool at this point since content on disk already outdated before game arrives to your copy.

you may not like digital gaming thats fine but dont think you "own" games when what you own is simple plastic selling tool
I own over 200 PS4 games and 90% of them are playable perfectly fine offline with no patches. I'm not gonna throw away my ownership because patch 1.01 came out with some bug fixes lmao.

You need to hit the options button in your storage settings to see the actual space used including language packs. This is Demon's Souls disc edition.
AKndm6P.jpg

Last edited:

truth411

I can confirm.
Physical copy of Demon Souls is 33.1GB.
Physical copy of Miles Morales is 39.05GB

Physical > Digital when it comes to consuming SSD Space?

paypay88

Banned

You got your answer now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought it was strange that Spider-Man:MM was smaller then Spider-Man Remastered

DryvBy

Ok so once again this has been debunked? OP just wasn't looking in the right spot?

It was really confusing to every single person I showed this too and I was hoping to get more clarification on this. Basically for some reason it reports the size weirdly unless you hit the options button. On a digital game, you don't have to do this (I'm assuming) as the digital combines the language data with the game.

I fully admit I was wrong on this. I can't always be 100% right :p

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It was really confusing to every single person I showed this too and I was hoping to get more clarification on this. Basically for some reason it reports the size weirdly unless you hit the options button. On a digital game, you don't have to do this (I'm assuming) as the digital combines the language data with the game.

I fully admit I was wrong on this. I can't always be 100% right :p
It does seem like a UI bug either way; so you weren't wrong, your PS5 was!

MrFunSocks

Banned
Probably needs a title change and thread closure now that it's all been figured out and there is no difference between physical and digital editions in terms of size.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
PS5 Ass Creed I think the 44 gig patch goes into the the ‘other’ section at the very bottom.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
So the PS5 does not read the disc at SSD speed ? OP you had me dreaming, and now you've crushed my dreams :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

Captn

My Demon's Souls disk version installed size is 33gb indeed so is Morales at 39gb...

Installing Ghost Of Tsushima disk version right now..

Anyone has it in digital and if so what is the installation size ?

Thanks

Top Bottom