• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X sales jump in quiet May | UK Monthly Charts

reksveks

Over 1.6 million games, 100,000 games consoles and 460,000 accessories were sold in the UK during May.
It was a tough month for the market overall. There were no major game releases last month, and as a result, sales were down 22% over May last year (which saw the release of Resident Evil: Village). 1.63 million digital and physical games were sold during May, GSD data reveals.
Compared with April, game sales are down 32%. April's biggest game was Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, and the Warner Bros game was still No.1 in May, despite sales falling 87% month-on-month.
Although Lego Star Wars was the overall No.1, in terms of pure physical retail sales, Nintendo Switch Sports was No.1 (Nintendo doesn't share digital data). And in the digital charts, FIFA 22 was No.1.
The highest charting new game is Sniper Elite 5 at No.12, although this also only counts physical sales.

PS5 and Xbox Series X and S stock improves​

It's been a tough year for console sales in the UK, primarily due to a lack of stock for PS5 and Xbox Series X. There's also been a decline for Nintendo Switch, although the console continues to comfortably sell more than it was managing pre-pandemic.
Overall, console sales are down 38.3% so far this year.
However, there is some signs of improvement, particularly for PS5. The platform is sitting in third place this year due to severe stock shortages between January and March. But that has picked up significantly over the last two months, and May is the console's biggest month of the year so far, with sales up 10% over April.
Xbox Series X and S had a slow April, but things have picked up in May, with sales up 58% month-on-month (primarily thanks to the Series X variety).
Finally, Nintendo Switch sales are down slightly by 3%.
Overall for May, console sales are up 16% (month-on-month) to 106,000 consoles sold (GfK panel data).
In terms of add-on products, 465,000 accessories were sold in the UK last month (GfK data). This is down 10% over April and a drop of 24.4% over May last year.
Considering the success of PS5 this month, it's no surprise to see the White DualSense controller hold its position at No.1. The Midnight Black variety sits at No.3, while the Cosmic Red has jumped up to No.4. The Wired Xbox controller is at No.2, and follows improved availability of Xbox Series X.
One item that has jumped up the charts is the Nintendo Switch Leg Strap at No.13. This is due to the recent release of Nintendo Switch Sports, which makes use of the accessory.

The GSD UK May Top 20 Best-Selling Video Games (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
2FIFA 22 (EA)
3Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
6Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)
8NBA 2K22 (2K Games)
9WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
10Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
11Star Wars Battlefront 2 (EA)
12Sniper Elite 5 (Rebellion)*
13Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
14Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
15Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Ubisoft)
16Sonic Mania (Sega)
17Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)*
18Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
19Sonic Forces (Sega)
20The Sims 4 (EA)
* Digital data unavailable

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-x-sales-jump-in-quiet-may-uk-monthly-charts

reksveks

8RRELpv.png

Rough numbers of YoY comparisons

Horizon Forbidden West was the 2nd best selling exclusive game of the month even including digital sales? But i thought physical sales were irrelevant and that's the only way the game was selling so much?

I'm lost...

Belthazar

I'm still surprised by the boost on Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces... Didn't expect that much of an effect to the movie. Really impressive.

Link to people linking the two topics?

People were claiming horizon only reentered the charts due to the bundles, that were counted as physical sales. It being high with digital included is proof that that's not the case, as it also sold enough digitally to still be up there in the top 10.

jm89

Massive drop by ps direct in UK today for both standalones and horizon bundle both still in stock.

What's hilarious is scalpers still trying to sell at high prices on eBay, and I'm pretty sure the fuckers are shill bidding to artificially increase the price.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Horizon Forbidden West was the 2nd best selling exclusive game of the month even including digital sales? But i thought physical sales were irrelevant and that's the only way the game was selling so much?

I'm lost...
flexing arnold schwarzenegger GIF

Massive drop by ps direct in UK today for both standalones and horizon bundle both still in stock.

What's hilarious is scalpers still trying to sell at high prices on eBay, and I'm pretty sure the fuckers are shill bidding to artificially increase the price.
A lot of them are about to lose a lot of money tbh. I can see some stores starting to get them in-store closer to the end of this summer. Once that happens it's over for them.

yazenov

Sniper Elite 5 (Rebellion)*

Seems highly suspicious that we dont have the digital data for this game as its on gamepass day 1. I wanted to see the sales split ratio between Xbox and PS and whether it being on gamepass increased its sales (lol) for Xbox .

MS trying to hide the sales split for this game? Maybe its in one of the contract clauses not to discoulse sales if the game is on Gamepass day 1.

Last edited:

Woopah

Sniper Elite 5 (Rebellion)*

Seems highly suspicious that we dont have the digital data for this game as its on gamepass day 1. I wanted to see the sales split ratio between Xbox and PS and whether it being on gamepass increased its sales (lol) for Xbox .

MS trying to hide the sales split for this game? Maybe its in one of the contract clauses not to discoulse sales if the game is on Gamepass day 1.
Its not suspicious at all and has nothing to do "MS trying to hide" anything. Most likely explanation is that Rebellion is one of those publishers, like Nintendo, that does not share digital data.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love

I had a quick look on Facebook marketplace today for them and prices have really gone down, we are talking between £350 to £500 for bundles.

The eBay scalpers are desperate. Fuck them.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I had a quick look on Facebook marketplace today for them and prices have really gone down, we are talking between £350 to £500 for bundles.

The eBay scalpers are desperate. Fuck them.

Would be sweet if the scalpers end up actually losing money on the consoles they've been hording

Top Bottom