• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X GPU TFLOPs Difference “Probably” Won’t Matter in the Long Run – Hellpoint Developer

turtlepowa

Banned
Look at The Last of Us 2 what is possible with less than 2TF. And SX has 2TF advantage with a new architecture. But keep hopes up!

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well it does matter to most inside even if you say it doesn't else you wouldn't be in here saying its not that much difference. Fanboys would have loved it even if the PS% was 0.5 tf more the XSX. You have only got to breath PS5 is 9,2 tf at times and it's like Joesph Seed (Bad guy from Far Cry 5) and his cronies are stamping all over you. Get over it now XSX is more powerful, even if it was 5% more its more powerful, move on.
Everyone just enjoy your new machines whatever you get.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Look at The Last of Us 2 what is possible with less than 2TF. And SX has 2TF advantage with a new architecture. But keep hopes up!
Sure, look at how the effective performance scale with the increased resolution and visual complexity (not linearly). Of course with a higher base a smaller percentage means more but reflects the distance between them and it is not much and that is how you will see it.

Kagey K

Banned
Xsx will have better Ray tracing, but to the averagr person looking at them they couldn't tell.
They cant tell the difference with a 1440P vs 4K game.
If you look at the Minecraft raytraced video and tell me you see no difference, then I would be convinced that you have no eyes.

Kagey K

Banned
Considering you were responding to these words:

It seemed a weird take to have...
Not at all, we have examples for XB1 to series X. If Sony had them they would have showed them. Until they do there is no reason to believe otherwise. they showed SpiderMan loading fast but no raytracing to go with it.

I can only judge based on what my own eyes have seen, not what I imagine could be.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not at all, we have examples for XB1 to series X. If Sony had them they would have showed them. Until they do there is no reason to believe otherwise. they showed SpiderMan loading fast but no raytracing to go with it.

I can only judge based on what my own eyes have seen, not what I imagine could be.

Again “Xsx will have better Ray tracing, but to the averagr person looking at them they couldn't tell.” —> I read it as “better raytracing performance (aka XSX version vs hypothetical PS5 version) will not be easily visible to the average user” how do you read it as XSX with RT on vs Xbox One with RT off?!?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Again “Xsx will have better Ray tracing, but to the averagr person looking at them they couldn't tell.” —> I read it as “better raytracing performance will not be easily visible to the average user” how do you read it as XSX with RT on vs Xbox One with RT off?!?
Easy the Minecraft demo. It’s not that hard. Show them both to someone and ask them which looks better.

I need to stop unignoring people, and trust my gut out of the 5 I blocked 3 got permed and 2 want to argue semantics. Yet I keep giving them second chances.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Easy the Minecraft demo. It’s not that hard. Show them both to someone and ask them which looks better.

I need to stop unignoring people, and trust my gut out of the 5 I blocked 3 got permed and 2 want to argue semantics. Yet I keep giving them second chances.

You really shouldn't get uppity with Panajev, technically speaking, he knows his shit and has multiple years of experience.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I need to stop up ignoring people,and trust my gut out of the 5 I blocked 3 got banned and 2 want to argue semantics.

It is not like I am going lose much in this deal then. You write and I can respond and that is that there, fine :).

Of course the RT enabled Minecraft demo looks better than the one without RT, but it is not the point PS5 version will have RT of essentially the same quality as the XBX version unless you are going with the “Sony has fake software RT while XSX has true HW RT” angle most people dropped.

Then again you did not show an ounce of doubt when MS boasted about RT performance in the DF exposé before showing any RT demo yet you are “concerned” about PS5 RT performance because they have not show their RT tech demo to the public yet. I will be waiting for you to attempt to rationalise this stance with a non console warrior like answer ;).

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You really shouldn't get uppity with Panajev, technically speaking, he knows his shit and has multiple years of experience.
Nope. If he ever stopped moving goalposts, and could have a real discussion I might reconsider.
Which is why I unblock him now and then, but the end result is always the same.

Last edited:

FranXico

the series X is more powerful then 1275 Gamecubes. How is this insulting or untrue?
That is accurate. As accurate as saying that both the PS5 and XSX are more powerful than 1000 Gamecubes.

But talking about a difference in absolute terms while stripping away scale takes away context, which is the opposite of what some people claim.

Kagey K

Banned
That is accurate. As accurate as saying that both the PS5 and XSX are more powerful than 1000 Gamecubes.

But talking about a difference in absolute terms while stripping away scale takes away context, which is the opposite of what some people claim.

The problem is we don’t actually know the difference and people are inferring and speculating, with a giant chunk of information missing.

Right now it’s the blind leading the blind based on preference and loyalty.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nope. If he ever stopped moving goalposts, and could have a real discussion I might reconsider.
Which is why I unblock him now and then, but the end result is always the same.

You could duck out as soon as your argument are shown as shallow or explain which goalposts I moved (which you do not, not that there are). Then this is there for others to read too, block me if you must.

You could also explain what you said about RT:
If Sony had them they would have showed them. Until they do there is no reason to believe otherwise. they showed SpiderMan loading fast but no raytracing to go with it.
Why is there concern on PS5’s having RT because they have not shown it off on a tech demo and why there was no concern when MS talked about RT much before showing off any tech demo?

All in all it was my post that I will quote below:
Of course the RT enabled Minecraft demo looks better than the one without RT, but it is not the point PS5 version will have RT of essentially the same quality as the XBX version unless you are going with the “Sony has fake software RT while XSX has true HW RT” angle most people dropped.

Then again you did not show an ounce of doubt when MS boasted about RT performance in the DF exposé before showing any RT demo yet you are “concerned” about PS5 RT performance because they have not show their RT tech demo to the public yet.

Last edited:

Eliciel

theoretical non-sense beyond measure. Just go and play some games or read a book for a change....or take a hike (on your own or with your close people in your household - corona rules adherence..)

Most evidence I have (including contact with someone who worked on the PS5 & XSX) suggests
the PS5 is higher performance TBH. Neither will be "stronger" from TFLOPs either.
People need to get over that single number. Both will allow for a bigger leap than PS3-PS4 though :).

Quoting Moore's Law is Dead to promote PS5, is like using Blue Is Violet to promote the XSX.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
and PS5 can crank up the clocks over 20% higher on those CUs

basically PS5 has a 15% reduction in resolution at worst. Not a big deal. Smallest difference in console history

the 120% difference in ssd speeds will have a much more meaningful impact for what you see on screen (detail, LOD, etc)

From what we know about AMD raytracing, it doesn't matter how fast you can run your clocks if you don't have the memory bandwidth to power it. XSX has 25 % higher memory bandwidth and 44 % more CU. It will be vastly superior in raytracing workloads. You can't calculate more rays by running higher clocks if you can't get the data to the RAM fast enough.

MilkyJoe

and PS5 can crank up the clocks over 20% higher on those CUs

basically PS5 has a 15% reduction in resolution at worst. Not a big deal. Smallest difference in console history

the 120% difference in ssd speeds will have a much more meaningful impact for what you see on screen (detail, LOD, etc)

😂

Jon Neu

Banned
The Xbox One was garbage though and the launch was garbage too. A console that runs games on 900p when the competition is doing 1080p

The Xbox One deserved every trashing it got until the Xbox One X came around.

Yes.

And that's why it got trashed and was the biggest mistake MS has made regarding the Xbox brand.

Kumomeme

because this time both console clearly had their own pro and cons, compared this gen where both are basically similliar aside gpu power and significant memory bandwith difference...however this time, there clear different build philosphy here

i see at page one someone make comparison with ps4 and xbox one, but i think closest is ps4 pro vs xbox one x situation, but again, this time bit different that there stark comparison between the console's advantages and weakness for next gen like faster ssd, the storage I/O, larger cu number, faster gpu/cpu frequency, constant vs variable cpu/gpu speed etc.

its more like endless debate of xbox 360 vs ps3 than ps4 vs xb1 to me

and i dont think ps5 is weak..if we look at previous pattern, its common for console maker to choose capable midrange gpu for the sake of price vs performance point..i believe what sony choose in the console is right combination ....it just this time, what different is xbox team goes further length than usual to secure that 52 cu 12tf monster thus, make ps5 'look weak' in comparison...both console will be very capable with each of them had their own advantages for sure but i dont think ps5 will be end up lacking and im not suprise with for 3rd party game xbox series x version might be had performance advantages over 'extra' raw power..i expect that kind of situation

also, i believe the hype of over 11-13tf ps5 performance 'leak' that didnt happened mislead lot of people expectation in the end

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Every single thread is the same crap, pardon my french. It's pretty blatant now that there's a discord army just popping on every new thread and saying "BuT mUh HuGe DifFeReNcE". We get it, you care more about an 18% difference in power than you care about games.

The funny thing is how the narrative has changed. At the start of the current gen, power (and teraflops) were everything when the Sony console was the more powerful.

Now that the tables have flipped, “PoWeR DoEsN’t MaTtEr, It'S aLl AbOuT tHe SsD”.

And I just keep hearing from Sony warriors about a discord group of Resetera in the same way I keep hearing from democrats about how the russians “hacked” the elections.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I can see Dynamite Cop has saturated another thread with his FUD......

The truth is, these two consoles will be very close, multiplat-wise, but Sony first party will still run circles around Microsoft Studios......Can anybody tell me, which developers from MS side is going to push Series X to anything close to what Naughty, PD, Guerilla and Santa Monica can do? Booty has already said there will be no exclusives for a fair bit, we know that MS mostly has AA studios.....So what are we expecting? On the more prominent studios, certainly not Playground Games, will Fable look better than Horizon Zero Dawn 2? I can bet my money right now, will Forza 8 look better than GT7, same, I can bet right now, will Gears 6 look better than Uncharted. LOU or Savage Starlight or Naughty's next game? Should not even be a question really..Even the initiative, they are still a very small studio, and booty said they won't be quite doing AAA games yet......

So what exactly are people expecting. Halo vs Killzone, graphics wise. Guerilla will set the bar yet again. Most of MS's output will be catering to gamepass and a low ceiling of XBONES, dont expect games to blow your socks graphically or even on ambition by MS studios next gen, at least not for two years, if we go by Booty's comment....So lots of talk about power by MS, but who is going to drive it? Which devs….

Stuart360

I can see Dynamite Cop has saturated another thread with his FUD......

The truth is, these two consoles will be very close, multiplat-wise, but Sony first party will still run circles around Microsoft Studios......Can anybody tell me, which developers from MS side is going to push Series X to anything close to what Naughty, PD, Guerilla and Santa Monica can do? Booty has already said there will be no exclusives for a fair bit, we know that MS mostly has AA studios.....So what are we expecting? On the more prominent studios, certainly not Playground Games, will Fable look better than Horizon Zero Dawn 2? I can bet my money right now, will Forza 8 look better than GT7, same, I can bet right now, will Gears 6 look better than Uncharted. LOU or Savage Starlight or Naughty's next game? Should not even be a question really..Even the initiative, they are still a very small studio, and booty said they won't be quite doing AAA games yet......

So what exactly are people expecting. Halo vs Killzone, graphics wise. Guerilla will set the bar yet again. Most of MS's output will be catering to gamepass and a low ceiling of XBONES, dont expect games to blow your socks graphically or even on ambition by MS studios next gen, at least not for two years, if we go by Booty's comment....So lots of talk about power by MS, but who is going to drive it? Which devs….
Its a good job exclusives only make up about 5% of all games released then. :messenger_winking:

thelastword

Banned
Its a good job exclusives only make up about 5% of all games released then. :messenger_winking:
Which games are the marketing agents for consoles, push the graphics and ambition, picks up mostly all of the awards at year's end and most times sell more copies on a single platform than the majority of multiplats sell over a bevy of platforms? Yes, they are your exclusives......

Stuart360

Which games are the marketing agents for consoles, push the graphics and ambition, picks up mostly all of the awards at year's end and most times sell more copies on a single platform than the majority of multiplats sell over a bevy of platforms? Yes, they are your exclusives......
And which games sell the most every year, yes the multiplatform games.

thelastword

Banned
And which games sell consoles? Ahh the exclusives…..

Which games are people still talking about today? You think they are talking about COD Ghosts of Killzone Shadowfall? Need for Speed Rivals or Driveclub, Project Cars of Gran Turismo Sport, Tomb Raider or Uncharted and LOU...………..

It's just like when they show games for the next gen consoles, people will want to se what the next gen COD or Battlefield look like, but you know it's the exclusive games that will dominate the conversation.......Hell, even on GAF last week I saw a thread about, "If UC2 should have won GOTY on GAF". Let's be honest, exclusives are the driving force for consoles, they are the main talking point for years ongoing, multi's you can get anywhere, it's why PS has dominated for so many generations, they've always had the better exclusives and this gen is further testament...

Jon Neu

Banned

The funny thing is that the game with the best tech is a multi game (RDR2), and the best console version of that game is on the Xbox One X.

But yeah, let’s be Thelastword and ignore all the talent MS has been buying and pretend that only Sony studios can do good games because that would make our little fanboy heart sleep quiet at night.

Top Bottom