• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and PS4 System Software Updates release globally today. VRR update coming soon.

In this case only the manfucaturer or other users that own the monitor can answer this question.
Exactly the reason why buying something right now is so difficult.

I've pretty much come to terms that I'm just gonna have to wait until PS5 VRR is out and see what people recommend before I make any decisions, however, that means it might be harder to buy said monitor since everyone else will be buying them too.

MadViking

I have a C1 and a PS5 - how is motion interpolation broken?
It's disabled and there is no way to enable it when playing on PS5 now. (before the update it was working fine).

On Xbox it works like this that if VRR is enabled the motion interpolation is not available on C1. But if VRR is disabled then motion interpolation can be enabled.

On PS5 after the last update the TV probably "thinks" the VRR is enabled (even though it's not working yet) and doesn't allow motion interpolation.

Shmunter

It's disabled and there is no way to enable it when playing on PS5 now. (before the update it was working fine).

On Xbox it works like this that if VRR is enabled the motion interpolation is not available on C1. But if VRR is disabled then motion interpolation can be enabled.

On PS5 after the last update the TV probably "thinks" the VRR is enabled (even though it's not working yet) and doesn't allow motion interpolation.
ALLM probably wont let you run motion interpolation as it's counter intuitive to low latency

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

This is incorrect in so many ways.

You can use motion interpolation on the XSX and PS5 if (and only if) you are not in game mode on the C1. On the XSX that requires you to disable ALLM. Since the PS5 doesn't have ALLM, you can manually switch to another mode.

However, its never a good idea to do that due to the amount of input lag it offers.

ALLM probably wont let you run motion interpolation as it's counter intuitive to low latency
100% correct.

arvfab

Banned
Since the PS5 doesn't have ALLM

It does since the last update previous to this one (and since the last beta, for the ones who were in).

The problem seems to be, that it doesn't have any toggle in the settings to disable it, causing "issues" for people who don't care about low latency.

MadViking

This is incorrect in so many ways.

You can use motion interpolation on the XSX and PS5 if (and only if) you are not in game mode on the C1. On the XSX that requires you to disable ALLM. Since the PS5 doesn't have ALLM, you can manually switch to another mode.

However, its never a good idea to do that due to the amount of input lag it offers.

100% correct.

I wasn't aware of this ALLM. But like others said it is now not possible to disable it on PS5.

Anyhow, practically for me on xbox:
- if I want motion interpolation: turn off VRR and switch to 60hz
- if I want VRR: turn on VRR and 120hz (this is not necessary of course, just increases the range)

Shmunter

I wasn't aware of this ALLM. But like others said it is now not possible to disable it on PS5.

Anyhow, practically for me on xbox:
- if I want motion interpolation: turn off VRR and switch to 60hz
- if I want VRR: turn on VRR and 120hz (this is not necessary of course, just increases the range)
Turn off ALL.M on your tv.

Although finally playing with low latency may be quite the revelation for you.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Now that's just great, all this hype and it's something that a person should usually not even enable?

I like freeSync on PC because it allows me to get the most out of my ancient GPU and it allows me to spend less time optimizing the settings.

Still, it's a shame that Sony takes so long to implement something so simple, I'm ready to move on to the next controversy.
Of course it isn’t. Console games should have stable framerates. VRR is a band aid that shouldn’t be relied on. ER performance is pathetic tbh.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I find it ridiculous how people keep obsessing about unstable frame rates when the main benefit of VRR is uncapped frame rates, same as on PC where you can use a high refresh rate monitor without having to force settings that would maintain 144/165 fps or above at all times.

I think most just fundamentally don’t understand the technology (and a lot of other things I guess).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I find it ridiculous how people keep obsessing about unstable frame rates when the main benefit of VRR is uncapped frame rates, same as on PC where you can use a high refresh rate monitor without having to force settings that would maintain 144/165 fps or above at all times.

I think most just fundamentally don’t understand the technology (and a lot of other things I guess).
Only people obsessing I see are those who claim every game practically needs it, when it has been shown objectively false and outside of a few outliers, 95%+ of games are stable where VRR won't do a thing for or notice.

It's good to have options, it's coming, but it's also okay to expect devs to optimize like they have been and not crutching for the current less than 10%. So the best course of action would to have them optimized well at a capped framerate and have an uncapped toggle for those who want it. "Coding to the metal" on the lowest extraction does impact said toggling, however. That gets tricky when it comes to animations, physics, etc..

Last edited:

Chukhopops

... which by definition are unstable
Well yes? My point is people are obsessed with looking down (sub 60) when the main benefit is looking up (uncapped).

I doubt people can notice the frame time variation under VRR when going from 80 to 90 fps since the impact is a 1.38 millisecond difference (12.5 ms vs 11.1 ms).

twilo99

... which by definition are unstable

Correct, but with VRR it doesn't matter. Why not squeeze everything out of the GPU instead of capping it? Every game should be shipped with unlocked FPS, just like on PC, and let VRR take care of the rest.

Enough with the logic now..

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Correct, but with VRR it doesn't matter. Why not squeeze everything out of the GPU instead of capping it? Every game should be shipped with unlocked FPS (TOGGLE), just like on PC, and let VRR take care of the rest.
FTFY.

And not every game is like that on the PC, there are a lot of popular games people have to mod an uncapped framerate in. It used to be that way in the past, but not in the land of porting to PC from console now.

ethomaz

Banned

Disable ALLM in your TV and set the settings you want including Motion Interpolation.

twilo99

FTFY.

And not every game is like that on the PC, there are a lot of popular games people have to mod an uncapped framerate in. It used to be that way in the past, but not in the land of porting to PC from console now.

Right, makes sense, but overall the end result is that if not all, most games on PC have the option to uncap and max out the available resources. Capping FPS for stability on console makes perfect sense, that is, if VRR didn't exist.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, makes sense, but overall the end result is that if not all, most games on PC have the option to uncap and max out the available resources. Capping FPS for stability on console makes perfect sense, that is, if VRR didn't exist.
You need both on the console, since less than 10% own the visual tech to take advantage. Otherwise, tear city.

twilo99

You need both on the console, since less than 10% own the visual tech to take advantage. Otherwise, tear city.

Of course.

I reckon by the time we get to PS6 we would have at least 50% of people with VRR panels.

I keep forgetting VRR panels are still fringe tech...

Chukhopops

Only people obsessing I see are those who claim every game practically needs it, when it has been shown objectively false and outside of a few outliers, 95%+ of games are stable where VRR won't do a thing for or notice.

It's good to have options, it's coming, but it's also okay to expect devs to optimize like they have been and not crutching for the current less than 10%. So the best course of action would to have them optimized well at a capped framerate and have an uncapped toggle for those who want it. "Coding to the metal" on the lowest extraction does impact said toggling, however. That gets tricky when it comes to animations, physics, etc..
To be clear all I ask for is a toggle for uncapped frame rate as standard in console games. Then devs can optimize the way they want to, it will still be better with a VRR display because there’s always a bit of overhead.

I just disagree with people who say it’s just a band-aid for bad optimization and I think they don’t understand the tech. The very concept of « unstable framerate » being seen as a negative is because of static refresh rate.

arvfab

Banned
Well yes? My point is people are obsessed with looking down (sub 60) when the main benefit is looking up (uncapped).
But you also wrote this
I find it ridiculous how people keep obsessing about unstable frame rates

BTW I agree with you, but there is a reason why the Rikys of this world cheer a lot more for VRR in the rare cases consoles aren't able to keep target fps instead of the even more rare cases where the fps are uncapped.

yamaci17

To be clear all I ask for is a toggle for uncapped frame rate as standard in console games. Then devs can optimize the way they want to, it will still be better with a VRR display because there’s always a bit of overhead.

I just disagree with people who say it’s just a band-aid for bad optimization and I think they don’t understand the tech. The very concept of « unstable framerate » being seen as a negative is because of static refresh rate.

unstable framerate due to CPU can be very erratic and negative indeed. and most console users with their performance modes experienced unstable framerate due to anemic CPUs found on ps4/xbox one consoles (1.6 ghz jaguar chips)

unstable framerate due to GPU can be very smooth, consistent and stable alongside with VRR. sadly that's a thing that they never experienced or have no idea/clue about. if ps5/xbox sx had uncapped framerate, most games they would be GPU bound and variable frame rate would be mostly governed by GPU boundness, specifically at 4K, therefore VRR would be great of help

GPU bound variable frame rate is much softer, less noticeable. but CPU bound variable frame rate cannot even be saved with VRR or anything

in the end it all depends how your system handles the game. on PC, it is very easy to control. say you're CPU bound, you can easily make yourself GPU bound with higher settings, higher resolutions. that is how I play most of my games, enforcing high GPU bound settings and let the VRR take the reins and enjoy headache free gaming

then again, CPU boundness also depends on the game. some games, it can still be saved by VRR. some games, it is unsalvagable. take Cyberpunk for example, in some regions it has erratic framedrops between 45-55 CPU bound with a ryzen 3700x and even with VRR it still feels horrible.

once you push settings and push it near 40-45 fps with gpu bound settings, it feels much, much better.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Correct, but with VRR it doesn't matter. Why not squeeze everything out of the GPU instead of capping it? Every game should be shipped with unlocked FPS, just like on PC, and let VRR take care of the rest.

Enough with the logic now..
Because most people don’t and won’t have TVs that take advantage of this and it can reduce overall perceived performance because of it.

Last edited:

MadViking

I don’t have a C1 but on CX it is called “Instant Game Response”.
C1 doesn't have it. In Game optimizer there is a setting where input delay can be changed and I can also see there if low latency is active or not. But it doesn't matter what I choose. Even if I disable the game optimizer completely, the postprocessing is always disabled on PS5.

twilo99

Because most people don’t and won’t have TVs that take advantage of this and it can reduce overall perceived performance because of it.

There should be a toggle for people that already have VRR panels.

VRR will become a standard feature on most TV eventually, it just takes time

RafterXL

Of course it isn’t. Console games should have stable framerates. VRR is a band aid that shouldn’t be relied on. ER performance is pathetic tbh.
This is stupid. It's not just Elden Ring. Outside of first party Sony games there are plenty of games that will take advantage of VRR on the PS5. Hell, even some first party games like Returnal will benefit.

Anyway, yeah it's a bandaid, but having a bandaid is better than the alternative. It's also here to stay and part of the future so you might as well get used to it.

Swift_Star

Banned
This is stupid. It's not just Elden Ring. Outside of first party Sony games there are plenty of games that will take advantage of VRR on the PS5. Hell, even some first party games like Returnal will benefit.

Anyway, yeah it's a bandaid, but having a bandaid is better than the alternative. It's also here to stay and part of the future so you might as well get used to it.
Most ps5 games have stable framerates, so I disagree unless there’s a toggle for uncapped fr.

Banned
Most ps5 games have stable framerates, so I disagree unless there’s a toggle for uncapped fr.

DMC5 in 120fps mode is unstable as fuck. with VRR it will be perfectly smooth.
Resident Evil 8 runs worse on PS5 than on Series X, and even on Series X while using VRR I felt the fps drops to a degree, without VRR I imagine this to be pretty bad at some spots, so that will be helped a lot as well.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Resident Evil 8 runs worse on PS5 than on Series X, and even on Series X while using VRR I felt the fps drops to a degree, without VRR I imagine this to be pretty bad at some spots, so that will be helped a lot as well.
Cherry-picking just reinforces what was said. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ethomaz

Banned
DMC5 runs locked 60fps on PS5.

We have stats for RE8 on PS5.
100% 60fps with RT off.
Over 95% 60fps with RT on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_LKwHcwi6p_S1TQYJwvqQGmUXzWKlHS0cqYUh0Mf8sg/edit#gid=0

BTW that was at launch... maybe it is better today after many patches.

That is exactly why John says most games doesn't need VRR and so he turns it off to not have to compromisse in others TV features or color/gamma.
Vast majority of games are not Elden Ring like performance.

Last edited:

Banned
That is exactly why John says most games doesn't need VRR and so he turns it off to not have to compromisse in others TV features or color/gamma.

well my TV has zero compromises when using VRR, that's just an issue with his TV.
also with VRR suddenly the RT modes in DMC5 become viable options, when they weren't before on PS5.

I can't believe this downplaying of VRR is still going on, and for such obvious reasons, if the tables were turned the exact opposite would happen, XBox fanboys would downplay it and PS5 fanboys would constantly remind everyone how much better it is to have it. very transparent

ethomaz

Banned
well my TV has zero compromises when using VRR, that's just an issue with his TV.
also with VRR suddenly the RT modes in DMC5 become viable options, when they weren't before on PS5.

I can't believe this downplaying of VRR is still going on, and for such obvious reasons, if the tables were turned the exact opposite would happen, XBox fanboys would downplay it and PS5 fanboys would constantly remind everyone how much better it is to have it. very transparent
All TVs in the market has issues with VRR.

RT modes in DMC5 was always viable since launch on PS5.... it actually never had issues with these modes... the 2-3fps advantage on Series X is what translate into >95% vs >97% on VGTech 🤷‍♂️

"Ray Tracing Performance Mode: This runs at native 1080p on both platforms, with full ray traced reflections plus frustrum-aligned voxel fog, which transforms the lighting. Broadly speaking, dropping resolution allows RT to run at similar frame-rates to the normal mode, albeit with a big resolution penalty. In matched like-for-like content such as cutscenes, Xbox Series X enjoys a very small performance advantage - but this seems to be even lower than it was in the normal mode. And again, perhaps it's down to the dynamic nature of gameplay where like-for-like, pixel-for-pixel matched content is not possible, but there do seem to be some areas where PlayStation 5 enjoys its own tiny lead. The overall takeaway here is that both systems are essentially like-for-like.

Ray Tracing Quality Mode: This ramps resolution back up to 3840x2160, but it's using the same image reconstruction technique used in the high frame-rate mode in order to boost performance. The impact of RT is pretty large, however, and much of the experience plays out beneath 60 frames per second. On paper, Xbox has a lead - but it is vanishingly small - and in matched like-for-like content, PS5 actually manages to match Xbox performance for much of the duration, while in other scenes it's just 2-3fps behind. However, while difficult to pinpoint exactly owing to the lack of exact like-for-like gameplay, Xbox's gameplay performance advantage seems to open up here."

Last edited:

Gamespawn

C1 doesn't have it. In Game optimizer there is a setting where input delay can be changed and I can also see there if low latency is active or not. But it doesn't matter what I choose. Even if I disable the game optimizer completely, the postprocessing is always disabled on PS5.
You can do it but have to play without hdr for now.

Top Bottom