• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 1200 model uses 6nm SoC - [Angstronomics]

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am surprised that they increased the price of the console despite being able to go on a smaller node. I said this in the price increase thread, but prices typically go down as the years go by, node shrinks allow for smaller chips and thus smaller heatsinks and smaller consoles. Even if the smaller node is more expensive, they wouldve seen the cost remain the same by producing more chips per wafer.

Makes no sense. Liquid metal is why the GPU can keep the high clocks.
not really. the PC GPUs go way to 2.6-2.7 ghz. they dont need Liquid metal. Just simple thermal paste with better heatsinks/vapor chambers will do.

If the die has received a node shrink then it very likely runs cooler than the original which would reduce the need for a larger heatsink and liquid metal thermal paste.

Not exactly.
I posted this in the other thread.
Austin's numbers aren't adding up.
Now it pleases me someone is also paying attention on that subject. Currently people around the web like here or here are finding the 1000 model is consuming about max 220W while it was about max 205W at launch. So that would mean there was an unexpected increase of power consumption at some point!

It occurred about the same moment PS5 was patched (3.1) and performance suddenly increased in some games / scenes by one of a few frames depending of the game (notably in DMC5 and Control).

My (wild) theory is that after testing games on PS5 for more than a year Sony decided it was OK to increase the maximum number of instructions available for the game leading to a small increase of performance in some demanding scenes at the cost of ~15W more Watts (as power consumption is not linear with frequency increase).

Wait does this means the liquid metal will be gone next?
Unlikely. They are very probably saving money on the cooling (heatsink and fan) by using liquid metal. Besides they already did the RD on it so they might as well use it.

Max_Po

Banned
I am surprised that they increased the price of the console despite being able to go on a smaller node. I said this in the price increase thread, but prices typically go down as the years go by, node shrinks allow for smaller chips and thus smaller heatsinks and smaller consoles. Even if the smaller node is more expensive, they wouldve seen the cost remain the same by producing more chips per wafer.

not really. the PC GPUs go way to 2.6-2.7 ghz. they dont need Liquid metal. Just simple thermal paste with better heatsinks/vapor chambers will do.

If the die has received a node shrink then it very likely runs cooler than the original which would reduce the need for a larger heatsink and liquid metal thermal paste.

#1. They don't use razor to cut 1 nm and run to Kutaragi and say ...look daddy I save us 100 g of playstation ... its a whole new process and new manufacturing. Consider the attached cost.

#2. Compare the PC GPU space and cooling vs PS5. no way PS5 can use regular thermal paste cooling and not make the ps5 sound like a jet engine....

Loxus

Now it pleases me someone is also paying attention on that subject. Currently people around the web like here or here are finding the 1000 model is consuming about max 220W while it was about max 205W at launch. So that would mean there was an unexpected increase of power consumption at some point!

It occurred about the same moment PS5 was patched (3.1) and performance suddenly increased in some games / scenes by one of a few frames depending of the game (notably in DMC5 and Control).

My (wild) theory is that after testing games on PS5 for more than a year Sony decided it was OK to increase the maximum number of instructions available for the game leading to a small increase of performance in some demanding scenes at the cost of ~15W more Watts (as power consumption is not linear with frequency increase).

Unlikely. They are very probably saving money on the cooling (heatsink and fan) by using liquid metal. Besides they already did the RD on it so they might as well use it.
You really think Sony would raise power consumption 20W+ for 2fps?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With the aforementioned smaller die and lighter cooler enabled by lower power consumption, we estimate that each new PS5 going forward costs Sony around 12% less to make overall, which helps to recoup program development costs sooner than if no die shrink took place.
So it costs cheaper to make, but every region but the US increased prices and the US stayed the same. Capitalism at work.

Probably the first time in console history costs go down with revisions and a maker increased the price.

jhjfss

So it costs cheaper to make, but every region but the US increased prices and the US stayed the same. Capitalism at work.

Probably the first time in console history costs go down with revisions and a maker increased the price.
Even in the US they raised prices with the forced bundles.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Cheaper to produce yet they increase the price....

in·fla·tion
a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.
"policies aimed at controlling inflation"

ex·change rate
the value of one currency for the purpose of conversion to another.
"the exchange rate of the dollar against the Deutschmark"

Last edited:
#2. Compare the PC GPU space and cooling vs PS5. no way PS5 can use regular thermal paste cooling and not make the ps5 sound like a jet engine....

Not really true.

There are many design parameters that they can vary to achieve a low noise level and high cooling efficiency console design.

They can make the fan larger and run at lower RPMs. They can use a higher heat flux phase-change heat sink, e.g. vapour chamber, or more heat pipes. They can massively increase the chassis size to reduce the pressure drop and allow a larger volumetric flow of air through the system.

They don't need liquid metal at all. It was just a feature of the launch design. They can cut it out with a chip that generates and thus needs to dissipate 18% less heat, with a minimally redesigned system and cooling design.

solidus12

Had my PS5 for more than a year now; it is the original one with all the copper and the bigger heatsink.
Do I need to get this new one to have a slightly cooler console? I haven't heard the fans spin mind you !!

Hmmmm how can I as a consumer be upset about this?

Last edited:

Amiga

Dose this still use liquid metal on the chip, I would imagine it's more complicated and limits factory expansion, thus slowing production growth.

Xyphie

Of course they'll want to phase out using liquid metal at some point, it's a very costly and messy thermal interface material with low tolerances for error. If they can get the chip within tolerances with regular thermal paste they'll opt for that.

Last edited:

Zathalus

in·fla·tion
a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.
"policies aimed at controlling inflation"

ex·change rate
the value of one currency for the purpose of conversion to another.
"the exchange rate of the dollar against the Deutschmark"
fan·boy

a boy or man who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

kyliethicc

I will, once its cheaper - not gonna spend 69EUR on a roguelike game. But still, you get the idea.
Why? It’s the best game on PS5 and has endless replay with the arcade high score mode.

It’s a 20-30 hour story and of very high quality. Amazing gameplay, art, sound, and a cool creepy story.

Sounds like you don’t want great a PS5 game. You just want to bitch and moan.

ShakenG

Why? It’s the best game on PS5 and has endless replay with the arcade high score mode.

It’s a 20-30 hour story and of very high quality. Amazing gameplay, art, sound, and a cool creepy story.

Doesnt Returnal come with the second tier sub? Which in Aus is something like $15.

Corndog

Banned

Die shrinks help, but going down to a smaller node is not as financially beneficial as it was in the past.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Dude wtf, chill out. Its 69EUR for a repetitive shooter, I'll get it once its reasonably priced. I share your enthusiasm for the game, but sadly its the only game of its kind (real PS5 exclusive that smells next gen) and its a launch title ... That is my main problem.

Max_Po

Banned
On a side note, I been trying to find a freakin DIGITAL ED for a second ps5 once the homebrew becomes available. ...

Piece of crap is non existant in KANADA

kyliethicc

Dude wtf, chill out. Its 69EUR for a repetitive shooter, I'll get it once its reasonably priced. I share your enthusiasm for the game, but sadly its the only game of its kind (real PS5 exclusive that smells next gen) and its a launch title ... That is my main problem.

jm89

New ps5 fifa bundles dropping in a few retailers in the UK today.

If the retailers images of the bundle are accurate, still the cfi-1116a model.

Edit: ps direct have the same bundle and it seems to read cfi-1216a.

Q66sece.png

Last edited:
You really think Sony would raise power consumption 20W+ for 2fps?
I don't think Sony cares about your energy bills. I think with the PS5 design their inital target was ~220W for the box + cooling system + PSU. But the dynamic clock system was a completely new feature, never done before in a mass produced item, so they needed time to fully test at ~200W before committing with their initial target.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On top of rising inflation outside of USD areas…
smaller chip
Improves yields, does it reduce costs? Remains to be seen. Sony’s biggest focus was to streamline the supply chain and make more consoles rapidly.
lighter console (reduced shipping costs)
Not as much as if they reduced console’s size and thus the volume of each box, but we can keep the list of usual talking points going ;).
less material on cooling assembly
That yes is a saving, I still think they are being gouged like everyone else on existing materials and costs of shipping that have been rising sp this may not be offsetting things as much as people think.
higher cost?

Something is not adding up

JIIIIIIIIM!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hah called it

Just watched the video (had been avoiding as dislike the guys video)

But they didn't remove the heatsink from the board, due to improved cooling and power consumption I was wondering if it could be the possible 6nm chip reported on in May rather than the standard 7nm in prior versions.

Guess we will need to wait longer to find out.

Nice to know I'm not losing my touch when it comes to hardware.

Last edited:
I'd kill for a Slim model. I don't like how bulky the PS5 is compared to everything in the room hahaha.
They really blew it by making it so damn huge. I respect them going for a whacky new design that isn't basically a black box but did it really need to be that big? Going by the hardware revisions...the answer is no. They went completely overboard with cooling in the launch model because all anyone ever done last gen was cry that their PS4 sounded like a jet engine.

Ezekiel_

Banned
It's included with PS+ Extra

Top Bottom