• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 “Enter Rest Mode” vs “Turn Off PS5”

Bojji

Can you do "quick resumes" from a Turn off or only from Rest mode?

Only in rest mode and for one game only.

Quick resume is Xbox killing feature, i can shut down console and it will be there, memory dumped to SSD - and for many games! Why Sony didn't copy it is beyond me.

Gambit2483

Quick resume is Xbox killing feature, i can shut down console and it will be there, memory dumped to SSD - and for many games! Why Sony didn't copy it is beyond me.
Thanks! I was always a little confused by these features.

Eiknarf

Banned
Is it possible to Turn Off the PS5 if it’s already in Rest Mode without powering it back up???

Let’s say it’s in rest mode so it charges my dualsense controller. But it’s still gonna be a while before I play it. How can I power it off without turning it back on??

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Is it possible to Turn Off the PS5 if it’s already in Rest Mode without powering it back up???

Let’s say it’s in rest mode so it charges my dualsense controller. But it’s still gonna be a while before I play it. How can I power it off without turning it back on??

No, I don't think it's possible mate.

Now, if you're worried about your PS5 being in rest mode while you're away from home (i.e : incoming storm/bad weather) and you want to turn it off, what you could do is use remote play from your phone, wake the console on and then turn it off using remote play.

I know this doesn't answer your question but... 😉

Eiknarf

Banned
No, I don't think it's possible mate.

Now, if you're worried about your PS5 being in rest mode while you're away from home (i.e : incoming storm/bad weather) and you want to turn it off, what you could do is use remote play from your phone, wake the console on and then turn it off using remote play.

I know this doesn't answer your question but... 😉
Oh that’s cool. Yeah I just thought I read back in the PS4 days that if your PS4 was in Rest Mode, you could hold the power button for two seconds and it’ll put the PS4 in Off mode . But I could be misremembering

I would hate to power it on just to immediately power it off

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I hear ya. But there’s a potential storm coming and I’d hate for the PS5 to be in rest mode if there’s a power outage or surge. I’m afraid that’d damage it, no?
That's not a problem where I live but if I did live somewhere that got lightning storms, I would probably turn it off before a storm, or buy a rated surge protector.

TYRiAX

It's no 'Quick resume' but I have found PS5's 'Resume Activity' Card pretty good for getting back into a non suspended game...

As for OP's questions 100% rest mode even if im away for a few days... always want the PS5 available if I want to use remoteplay :)

Top Bottom