• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 “Enter Rest Mode” vs “Turn Off PS5”

Eiknarf

Banned
Question one:

Which method is better for your PlayStation 5 when you’re done for the day? I know “Rest Mode” is for charging the controller etc. But if you don’t have to charge the Duelsense, which method is better for when you’re done playing today but you’re gonna play in a day or two ? Rest Mode or Turn Off?

Question two:

If I’m playing Dead Space and have to stop for the day, but I’m gonna continue tomorrow or the next day, Is it better to leave the disc in or eject it?

Thanks

SJRB

Gold Member
Rest mode is the same as sleep mode on your pc: it puts the console in low power consumption mode but keeps everything in memory so you can boot quickly and continue exactly where you left off. Turn off is the opposite of that where it just closes all applications and shuts the console down completely.

There's no reason to eject the disc in between play sessions. Keep it in and you're good to go.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Apparently it is almost cheaper resting it, rather than turning it off.
That is because it's below 3 watts and it will download updates using 40watts instead of downloading when console is fully on.
But I am an old man and I still turn it off

I always shut off unless there's some legitimate reason to use Rest Mode (Pitioss Ruins is the only time I've used it). I charge the controller using an external USB thingy.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I always put it in rest mode since it seems like it needs to update all the time. Really, it is best to put it in rest mode and plug the controller into the usb and let it charge.

The battery life on the controller is kind of shitty.

Last edited:

Bojji

I turn off and charge my dual sense via USB charger.

Sleep apparently is low on wattage but i still prefer it to shut down completely. Stupid messages put by Sony on startup will make console turn on way longer than series x no matter if it was turned off or in rest mode.

If I don't plan to use it for a week, I'll leave it on rest mode.

The power spike of booting it from cold probably negates the saving you'd make in turning it off. I also like rest mode for the speed of getting into a game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
After my PS4 Pro was clobbered while in sleep mode after a power outage (despite being in a surge protector) years back, i never leave my PS5 in sleep mode. When I'm done for the day, i power it fully off. I'm not taking any chances. I never leave disks in either. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but to me I'd rather be safe.

Mr Hyde

OP, I think you should turn the PS5 off, unplug the cables, pack it up in the box and store it in your basement at night. The next day you go down the basement, get your PS5, pack it up, plug it in, turn it on and play. Rinse and repeat every day. From my experience that would be the safest route going forward. You can leave the disc inside the console btw.

After my PS4 Pro was clobbered while in sleep mode after a power outage (despite being in a surge protector) years back, i never leave my PS5 in sleep mode. When I'm done for the day, i power it fully off. I'm not taking any chances. I never leave disks in either. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but to me I'd rather be safe.
Something similar happened to my Pro as well. I had it in sleep mode, power turned off, and then all of a sudden my SSD was unreadable. Granted, it could've been a complete coincide, but my wallet didn't care because I had to buy a new SSD.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Something similar happened to my Pro as well. I had it in sleep mode, power turned off, and then all of a sudden my SSD was unreadable. Granted, it could've been a complete coincide, but my wallet didn't care because I had to buy a new SSD.

Mine was totally dead after.....as in the power supply was hosed and it would no longer turn on at all. The only logical conclusion was the sudden outage killed it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I do rest mode 100% of the time when I am home/in town.

If I am going away for a few days or more, I turn it off.

Had zero issues with either method.
Do you rest mode when playing? Or do you quit the game before rest moding ?!
I always turn off the game and console since because .... idk why.
Have you experienced any games issues?

Krathoon

Really, the system intends for you to use rest mode. Lots of modern electronics want you to use the rest mode. Always put your computers in rest mode.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you rest mode when playing? Or do you quit the game before rest moding ?!
I always turn off the game and console since because .... idk why.
Have you experienced any games issues?
I usually quit the game out of habit, since you load right back in the games so fast now.

My buddy just goes into rest while playing all his games. He has never had an issue and online mode games such as Elden Ring and GT7 reconnect without exiting them.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I usually quit the game out of habit, since you load right back in the games so fast now.

My buddy just goes into rest while playing all his games. He has never had an issue and online mode games such as Elden Ring and GT7 reconnect without exiting them. Single player games he has done it to have no issues either.
One thing that occurs to me, if you rest mode in-game, the game will not update if there is an update. So probably better to exit

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One thing that occurs to me, if you rest mode in-game, the game will not update if there is an update. So probably better to exit
If you have automatic updates set to on, it will exit the game and update them. So if you are in a game that uses archaic save point systems or manual save systems still, then you may lose progress. Set to off it won't exit the game if there is an update.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I turn everything off after I'm done, same with PC. I charge my controllers/Pulse 3D through my many USB-C cables dangling around.
bath bathing GIF by Faith Holland

R6Rider

Gold Member
I turn it off unless downloading or taking a short break. Might start using rest mode more though.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I bet the PS5 has some kind of built in surge protection.

I did have a weird thing where my HDMI switch would not pick it up. Still not certain what was up with that. Other stuff on the switch works perfectly fine.

Aenima

Always turn off console. Rest mode is nice if u need to take a break for a short time and then plan to go back to gaming, its also nice to leave the console in rest mode if u want to download a game but ur not planing to use the console while downloading, the console will download and install the game while in rest mode. I always turn off the console.

If you playing a physical game, just leave the disk inside untill ur done with that game. Inserting and ejecting a disk every time would only do more harm to the drive mechanical parts.

I primarily use rest mode and don't have issues with games loading or working. I guess some games do but I haven't run into it yet.

wvnative

both PS4 and PS5 are designed to always use rest mode, and should always be in rest mode unless your planning to unplug it. turning it off every time is quite frankly stupid.

Krathoon

It is still totally worth it to have an optical drive. That way you can sell games or loan them to somebody.

Eiknarf

Banned
Ok. So it seems universal that people leave the disc in, NO MATTER if your Turn Off or Rest Mode the PS5.

Bojji

both PS4 and PS5 are designed to always use rest mode, and should always be in rest mode unless your planning to unplug it. turning it off every time is quite frankly stupid.

Hahaha, why? If only uses power to seek dual sense signal when off while in rest mode more components are powered on (ram?). There is also risk of corrupting data if there is power outage in rest mode.

Fbh

I turn it off most of the time unless I'm downloading something.
The power grid in my town sucks so it's not rare to have 2-3 short blackouts during the week and if I leave it in rest mode it has to do the whole "repairing storage" thing and then it aggressively beeps at me for not turning it off properly.

nikos

I have the charging station, so I just turn it off. I also don't turn it back on for months at a time.

I do this with everything. I shut down my PC when I'm not using it, even if it's for an hour.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I'm always turning it off completely so I can cover it with dust protection cloth. Besides the PS5 boots up very fast and I have multiple controllers so I charge the current one when it's drained.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

OP, I think you should turn the PS5 off, unplug the cables, pack it up in the box and store it in your basement at night. The next day you go down the basement, get your PS5, pack it up, plug it in, turn it on and play. Rinse and repeat every day. From my experience that would be the safest route going forward. You can leave the disc inside the console btw.
This but dont forget to factory reset at the end of every day. Next day just download the save from the cloud.

Eiknarf

Banned
Ok. So I was already doing a combination of leaving the disc in and ejecting it… and powering off and resting it (depending on the day/days ahead)

At the end of the day, I think anything computer related should be powered down completely at least once a week. Your phone, apple, android, laptop, desktop etc. Right?

Top Bottom