• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5’s Tempest Engine Is Hardware Accelerated, Will Be A Huge Boost To CPU – Hellpoint Dev

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
“3D audio has been around for a long while,” Jutras said. “You could have it running on existing consoles easily… but not a lot of game do, because it pretty much takes too much CPU time. Until now, it had to run software.”

“But now it’s hardware accelerated,” he continued. “It means there’s no reason not to use it. For us, it will most likely mean PS5 might sound better with the flick of a switch. Assuming you have the audio system to handle that. Also means we could have a CPU thread freed from heavy audio computation! Even if both consoles had exactly the same CPU, having a specific task being hardware accelerated can be a huge boost for the CPU.”

🥴😏

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can we stop giving the cunts that don't even have their game out yet attention as if they are some rockstar AAA studio that knows what the fuck they are talking about. Because if you played the demo of Hellpoint. You'll clearly see they don't.

Gamingbolt was also banned on gaf for a good reason .

You shut your dirty non believer mouth, heretic!

Hollowed are the Hellpoint Dev.

3D audio is the new secret sauce confirmed!!
lolno

Can we stop giving the cunts that don't even have their game out yet attention as if they are some rockstar AAA studio that knows what the fuck they are talking about. Because if you played the demo of Hellpoint. You'll clearly see they don't.

Their game looks decent and nobody claimed their word was gospel, they're just giving their perspective.

Same applies to XSX btw.

Sony had 3D audio as an official feature in the specifications if I recall but I haven't seen Microsoft mention it even once. Good if true.

Source? Just educating myself.

Last edited:
If Hellpoint says it, I swear by it.

Same applies to XSX btw.

Definitely. The dedicated audio chips will be a nice luxury for both consoles.

I think they are even in on the joke. They know it has become a meme

Last edited:

Jesb

What do these nextgen consoles mean for you if you have an amp for audio that’s about 10 years old. Will you need a new amp to take advantage of the audio used in PS5?

What do these nextgen consoles mean for you if you have an amp for audio that’s about 10 years old. Will you need a new amp to take advantage of the audio used in PS5?

From the Cerny presentation it sounded like you’ll hear the difference even on TV speakers and especially with headphones, which I’m stoked for (i usually only game with a headset)

Tamy

Banned
lolno

Their game looks decent and nobody claimed their word was gospel, they're just giving their perspective.

Sony had 3D audio as an official feature in the specifications if I recall but I haven't seen Microsoft mention it even once. Good if true.

Project acoustics:

Also hardware based.

Tamy

Banned
From the Cerny presentation it sounded like you’ll hear the difference even on TV speakers and especially with headphones, which I’m stoked for (i usually only game with a headset)

he also said that it will take YEARS until we reached that point. Until games are going to be developed based on that. YEARS.

I know this isn't apples to apples, but this is a benchmark screen from my PC with Gears Tactics. 88% GPU bound and 11% CPU bound, makes me wonder how much of a part the CPU even play in rendering next gen games.
LtaC2h9.jpg

Last edited:
Project acoustics:

Also hardware based.
Thank you.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
lolno

Part of RDNA2 according to AMD.

Is this a hard fact? Why wouldn’t the XsX audio chip handle heavy audio computation too?
Because it's not powerful enough. Sony has more than the equivalent of 8 jaguar cores dedicated for audio on PS5. MS has just announced some audio hardware and that it will help doing audio in conjunction with its new API (API = software) project acoustic.

They have being very smart how they announced it, as usual, in order to make as if their their audio hardware would be able to do on its own all the things they promised with project acoustic. But it won't, it will just help.

Attendees will dive deep into the audio design pipeline (Project Acoustics) and the relationship to dedicated hardware-acceleration on newer generation Xbox consoles.

Notice how they put it: Project Acoustics and the relationship to dedicated hardware-acceleration. Very smart, and it worked as many people really thought they had the equivalent of Tempest CU in the XSX.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I know this isn't apples to apples, but this is a benchmark screen from my PC with Gears Tactics. 88% GPU bound and 11% CPU bound, makes me wonder how much of a part the CPU even play in rendering next gen games.
LtaC2h9.jpg

A bit of a chicken and the egg problem though. Don’t forget this game needed to work with Xbox One from the beginning. PS5 games at least can be designed with the Zen 2 CPU as the lowest common denominator.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
LtaC2h9.jpg
Why would you need CPU in a round based strategy game? There is no simulation going on until the CPU moves. It's about the worst example you can come up with to talk about expectations for next gen games.

Tiamat2san

Séries X has an audio chip too for fuck’s sake!
And it will rely on a professional standard used by the movie industry.
Not some secret sauce that is only PR words at the moment.

Fanboys can only register one type of brand information in their little hydrocephalic brains.
I guess that’s must be why.

Rayderism

So, I wonder if the PS5's "dedicated sound hardware" is going to make the sound more or less glitchy than it is on PS4. The PS4 has quite a lot of sounds being clipped, go missing, and/or at odd volume levels in various games.

Don't know what they are talking about. If it's the same game I played a demo/alpha version some time ago, it's a shitty souls clone, so why should they bother with ps5 specs

Why would you need CPU in a round based strategy game? There is no simulation going on until the CPU moves. It's about the worst example you can come up with to talk about expectations for next gen games.
It was done during their benchmarking utility. Plus this is all ultra settings and all effects turned on.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't really see CPUs being taxed this next-gen. Unless there is some complex simulation game coming out, most games will be limited by the GPU.
That's pretty damning for the Series S so....

The companies should have agreed on a minimum spec for the generation, to stop dev teams wasting time on old and underpowered hardware.

Caio

A dedicated audio chip has been confirmed for the Xbox Series X, we all know.
Among the massive improvements coming with the Xbox Series X, in regards to audio and sound will be audio ray tracing, hardware accelerated ray tracing which will enable a whole new set of scenarios, whether that’s more realistic lighting, better reflections, and things like spatial audio and have ray traced audio.

skneogaf

All I want is dolby atmos on both consoles as it sounds absolutely amazing on both xbox one x and pc games that have it.

Tesseract

Banned
good for the kinds of games i like to make and play

always nice when you aren't sweating for extra modus here or there

danke, sony

Last edited:
Top Bottom