• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5’s SSD Combined with Unreal Engine 5 Will Lead to “Big Changes” in Level Design, Developer Says

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Seeing the laugh emojis from the usual suspects is becoming a joke in itself

Indeed and their own beloved console also has a SSD, or they are not happy with the fact that MS has add an SSD instead of HDD.

But when some Windows Central site starts shilling again, then we will see them fapping on "bla bla bla Velocity Architecture, bla bla bla, Sampler feedback, bla bla bla Direct Storage".

It just a lot off:

cure GIF

The words UE5 combined with PS5 triggers a lot of xbox/pc fans. And while pc's can have NVMe storage for some years now, games are not developed for it. And it's not about the speed alone but the whole I/O complex pc motherboards, SSD's or GPU's are missing.

SSfox

It will be but won't be shown until late 2022 to 2023 considering the amount of upcoming crossgen games.

FranXico

PS5 games benefitting from its IO complex will come, but it won't be due to UE5 in particular. I'm a bit skeptical Epic will deliver optimal performance, their track record of UE implementations for PS still leaves one wanting.

Edit: and to clarify, recycling old news is also a form of clickbaiting. Hence my dig at gamingbolt.

Last edited:
PS5 games benefitting from its IO complex will come, but it won't be due to UE5 in particular. I'm a bit skeptical Epic will deliver optimal performance, their track record of UE implementations for PS still leaves one wanting.

Edit: and to clarify, recycling old news is also a form of clickbaiting. Hence my dig at gamingbolt.

Console manufactures are pretty good at making shit up so they can sell shit to their fanbase.

At least for Microsoft on the PC side of things they haven't lied about Windows 11.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Console manufactures are pretty good at making shit up so they can sell shit to their fanbase.

At least for Microsoft on the PC side of things they haven't lied about Windows 11.

so what you're saying is, Microsoft lies all the time on the console front but on their pc narrative part they don't.

That makes them credible and trustworthy?

There is a flaw in that reasoning, just can't put my finger on it. "lollipop_disappointed:

Oh you sweet summer child...

Where have they lied exactly? I mean, compared to the pre-release console marketing bullshit when Nvidia, Microsoft, Intel, and AMD lie we can actually catch them do it in anything PC related. Like AMD's FX processors being advertised as 8-core CPU's while in reality it was 4-cores. I actually got $75 from that lawsuit.

You're on a locked down system where everything is proprietary. I mean can you actually trust that benchmark tool provided by sony to tell you the accurate speeds?

Last edited:

Shmunter

UE5 should be pretty good at flexing systems I expect. Due to their film involvement, they know cinema quality rendering, and the tech needed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Trust me, we have nothing to show you but it's so next gen...you will see!

I'll bet money that we don't see a true change for atleadt another generation or two. It will require an entire scrapping of years of work and to learn new ways of making games and ideas.

UE5 can be used on all PC's and consoles but the "BIG Changes" in level design and game play are really only going to happen with Fast NVME SSD's.

Its possible that we start to see some games on the PC side start to take advantage of the GEN4/5 SSD's but I don't see too many games "Requireing it" for a while.

If Micorsoft starts to allow games using UE5 to limit their game design requirements to the Series X & S we may start to see some of these changes happen on third party games.

So I Don't expect to see any UE5 games really take advantage of the PS5 SSD speed unless it is either Sony 1st party or PS5 Exclusive third.

I've no doubt that this is true. But, this makes it sound as if this developer is creating huge and detailed open worlds. They actually develop walking sims. Which I love so not bashing it, but they won't exactly be pushing the limits of the PS5.

clintar

I'm getting really fucking tired of this, whatever the fuck it is, glorification of a fucking 1TB soldered storage component or whatever the fuck. There's nothing to fucking talk about. It's not revolutionary and it's nothing special. There's nothing fucking great about it. It will be outdated tech in a year.

This is no better than the PS3's CELL Dragon Ball Z CPU and Xbone's POWER OF THE CLOUD.
you mad?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
We heard this now for what 2 years? still nothing to show for it.
What are you talking about?
Look at how open breath of the wild is..
Or what about horizon zero dawn?
Have you ever played spiderman?
Or what about farcry 5?

try the last of us 2 that game is way more open then the first.

all thanks to that ultra fast ss.. wait a sec 🧐🧐

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Soon games will load before you even know you wanted to play them!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm getting really fucking tired of this, whatever the fuck it is, glorification of a fucking 1TB soldered storage component or whatever the fuck. There's nothing to fucking talk about. It's not revolutionary and it's nothing special. There's nothing fucking great about it. It will be outdated tech in a year.

This is no better than the PS3's CELL Dragon Ball Z CPU and Xbone's POWER OF THE CLOUD.
LfWJY7X.jpg

MHubert

Indeed and their own beloved console also has a SSD, or they are not happy with the fact that MS has add an SSD instead of HDD.

But when some Windows Central site starts shilling again, then we will see them fapping on "bla bla bla Velocity Architecture, bla bla bla, Sampler feedback, bla bla bla Direct Storage".

It just a lot off:

cure GIF

The words UE5 combined with PS5 triggers a lot of xbox/pc fans. And while pc's can have NVMe storage for some years now, games are not developed for it. And it's not about the speed alone but the whole I/O complex pc motherboards, SSD's or GPU's are missing.
Amen

Ozriel

M$FT
So I Don't expect to see any UE5 games really take advantage of the PS5 SSD speed unless it is either Sony 1st party or PS5 Exclusive third.

Shortened load times are already games taking advantage of the PS5 SSD speed. We had that at launch with Demons Souls.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think the devs forgot we're not living in PS360 era anynore and most games are open-world now where you can go everywhere you want...

We are not talking load times . We are talking about features like those that cerney spoke of where you are loading only what you see in your field of view.

how many times do this have to be repeated by Unreal engine engineers before you people get it through your head? UE5 doesn’t do that. None of the new features of UE5(nanite, lumen) has anything to do with PS5 SSD nor does it depend on it.

avin

Imagine a "game" where the "level" was the entire world, and the game used the SSD and the internet to stream in the local terrain and weather.

I really believe we may get to play it this generation.

avin

Last edited:

avin

Like Microsoft's Flight Simulator?

Yes. The most mind-blowing experience I've had for a while, although it's obviously not for everyone.

But I get that my so-called humor is probably much too obscure for these times.

avin

Last edited:
Top Bottom