• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 / XOne Games are aging like a Fine Wine

Wind Waker. Gamecube. 2002

zeldawindwaker_review.jpg
It's all about that art direction.

TLZ

Banned
None of them reached the same levels of enjoyment that I had with those 3 games.

Nier Automata is great, but for me it was mostly because of Yoko Taro crazy stories, I felt that Platinum played too safe on the gameplay and for replayability both Anarchy and MGR are better in my opinion.

Now DMCV on the other hand was quite boring... A huge downgrade from DMCIV in my opinion.
Don't know if you're into it, but have you tried Transformers Devastation by them?

Aion002

Don't know if you're into it, but have you tried Transformers Devastation by them?
I have it and I also bought the Korra game too. They were ok... The Transformers has some neat things and is way better than the other one, but I never enjoyed the IP, so even though the gameplay was fun it didn't appeal me much.

Still, for those that enjoy the Transformers series, that game is probably amazing.

Neff

No idea how you could think DMC 4 was better than 5.

5's good but 4 is better overall imo.

+ Greater variety in terms of level design, themes, features and obstacles
+ Faster gameplay, sharper controls and snappier animations, including the classic DMC spin jump
+ Fixed camera angles
+ More stylish character designs
+ Better pacing, smoother storytelling, far more efficient memory handling
+ Lady and Trish in the SE are awesome

5 wins on bosses for sure though.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I’m playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance on my PS5, which has aged more like milk given its technical shortcomings.

Still loving it though.

Inviusx

I feel that God of War at 4k 60 is about the level of graphics and performance we will see this gen.

Basically taking a game from last gen and using the power to make it run twice as fast.

Spent a lot of this weekend playing Forza Horizon 4... I agree with the original dear lord comment. Astonishing game. So much content, looks utterly beautiful... Don't know if it won GOTY the year it came out, but it should have. And racing games aren't always my thing.

Wow that McBurger is so excellent, the "craft-burger" equivalent is the one from the first shot of RE2 remake:

Resident-Evil-2-Remake-Cheeseburger.jpg

The game isn't calibrated properly so you aren't supposed to it looks way better when its set up right, you aren't meant to see much of the left side of burger, it should be in shadow, but the pics with the correct black levels/brightness are too dark and low quality unfortunately. Just squint your eyes lol.

Oh cool, found this, the model ripped from the game in bright lighting:

Etj9ccGU0AIVuZ5

The model work is amazing, imagine you could see it with the ground truth textures.
Good lord. I just got off my fast food diet. After Seeing these looks like I'm headed back to McDonald's.

Next time use a NSFF spoiler please. (Not Safe For Fatties)

FStubbs

The Saturn was amazing when it came to 2D and Sega didn't want to exterminate the genre the way Sony did.

Sony hated 2D games so much they told Konami they wouldn't approve Symphony of the Night for US release. Back then Konami still had some balls and held MGS hostage, telling Sony that if they didn't approve SOTN for US release then they wouldn't bring over MGS.
Wasn't a lot of that Bernie Stolar?

Banned

Earlier PS4 game still looks better than most current "next gen" games.

well if 99% of the work goes into the graphics and the levels are corridors... then sure... also cut off part of the view on top and bottom, say it is to feel more "cinematic" but in reality it is to save performance :)

such a piece of trash game tho... beautiful, but such a piece of shit.
very similar to Ryse in that way, also beautiful as hell and also one of the worst game of the generation.

Aenima

well if 99% of the work goes into the graphics and the levels are corridors... then sure... also cut off part of the view on top and bottom, say it is to feel more "cinematic" but in reality it is to save performance :)

very similar to Ryse in that way, also beautiful as hell and also one of the worst game of the generation.
The shooting gameplay in the Order was quite decent though. The problem was there was not enough of it and it was too liner, too short with zero replay value. The story was interesting but the game ends in a clifhangar teasing a sequel that will never happen.

Still worth to play it if u get it below 10$ on a sale. Still visually stunning.

Last edited:

Hoddi

To each his own. I liked it quite a bit compared with some other PS4 exclusives that I find completely overrated. The graphics are still absolutely fantastic even compared with more modern games.

SkylineRKR

They age if they're boosted. And a lot of them really don't need more than a framerate boost and cut load times.

mxbison

I don't think last gen will age very well.

There are obviously great games that will, like some of those you mentioned. But in general it's a lot of bloated games filled with dumb activities just to reach xx hours of playtime, open world and rpg-light elements everywhere, and a focus on presentation > gameplay.

Kuranghi

I still think Shadow of The Colossus remake looks better than any next-gen game, so far.

Do you prefer the resolution or framerate mode? I couldn't believe I didn't prefer the framerate mode after the original was running in the teens at times and the (still brilliant ofc) remastered was still 30hz and now I had the chance to play at locked 60fps but I just couldn't resist the IQ of the 30hz mode, the grass looked so beautiful and the fur/hair on the colossus, I had just got the PS4 Pro and my 65" 4K TV not that long ago so was still being amazed by running games at such high resolutions. Still am now for the most part.

Was just curious which you preferred, fair enough if you don't care/didnt even look and just played on the default setting though. I know many people aren't as concerned as people like me.

Kuranghi

Can we please stop posting original TWW screens stretched to 16:9? It kinda defeats the purpose. Thanks.

I know haha, Link the chonker over here. He got a wide heart filled with love!

I have a good AR horror story for you:

When I was in film college I was discussing aspect ratio with the teacher (The Panasonic camera we used recorded in 4:3 but with "anamorphic pixels" so you streched it out in post which confused me at the time as I'd never seen something with non-square pixels) and he showed me this previous students work to whom he couldn't give a grade at the end of the project because he just didnt understand aspect ratio and why stretching the image was wrong.

He showed me the guys video and it was basically shot in 4:3, but was squashed like I said above and needed to be stretched out in post, but instead he stretched stretched it vertically and made it even more distorted, then when he was transcoding proxy files from the source for editing he somehow changed the AR again, he kept doing this more and more by the time it was exported the file had like 4 inset black borders and was so distorted it was like a he was trying to show a drug sequence or something.

The teacher asked him like 10x what was wrong with the final video and the guy just couldn't see it even after all the lessons and notes he'd been given, some people just don't notice I guess.

Replaying AC Unity at 60 fps on my laptop shows just how good the parkour still is. But hoo boy is the game a blurry mess on consoles on a 4k screen.

Agent X

I should really play this, is there a cheap way to play it on PS5?

Take the following advice:

Wait for a sale. It's been as low as $3 from what I remember.

Sony used to discount The Order: 1886 on PS Store very frequently and very heavily ($5 or less). I bought it for $3.99 way back in May 2017.

They haven't done this as much over the last year, but it still drops below $10 at least two or three times a year.

They age if they're boosted. And a lot of them really don't need more than a framerate boost and cut load times.
I actually think that we are approaching the peak of economically viable graphics.
Not every developer can make a RDR2 or Horizon without going bust. Triple A games are now expected to look good at 4k. They take 5 years of development time.

Dear lord, do these games still hold up, especially if at Locked 60fps!

Sekiro - Still looks insane, at 60fps it's just a joy to play.

Dark Souls 3 - 1 of the most striking games I've played, at 60fps I can even win pvps!

God of War - No comments, absolutely insane.

Gears 5 - Same as God of War.

Forza Horizon 4 - Dear lord...

Days Gone - Not as good as others but still impressive.

Ghost of Tsushima - My god Holly ****.

I could go ON!

BONUS ROUND, some Ps360 games have aged well too:

Gears of War 3 - At 4K absolutely insane!

Last of Us - Good lord still beautiful.

Uncharted 3 - Impressive AF.

Forza Horizon - can be played at 4K, + MSAA & SSAA on 1080p screen, mind-blowing.
And then Bloodborne..... cry emoji

Most underrated game of the generation. It's a very solid game and could have been the foundation for something really special. Too bad it will never be.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I should really play this, is there a cheap way to play it on PS5?
It looks insanely good, however the game is mediocre as it gets. 5 hours it took me and I got platinum, without even trying. I still have screen from playstation app.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not trying to be disrespectful but the claim makes no sense at all. Maybe this is due to console gamers now experiencing what PC gamers experience when they pop in a new graphics card on their computer. Same game but it looks way better running at increased framerate, resolution and settings.

Eight gen games haven't started to age the way I see it. Still current tech. We will have a lot of new releases using 2013 HW as a baseline, at least until 2022. Now 7th gen games cranked up on PC, those aged really well.

Top Bottom