• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 / XOne Games are aging like a Fine Wine

v_iHuGi

Banned
Dear lord, do these games still hold up, especially if at Locked 60fps!

Sekiro - Still looks insane, at 60fps it's just a joy to play.

Dark Souls 3 - 1 of the most striking games I've played, at 60fps I can even win pvps!

God of War - No comments, absolutely insane.

Gears 5 - Same as God of War.

Forza Horizon 4 - Dear lord...

Days Gone - Not as good as others but still impressive.

Ghost of Tsushima - My god Holly ****.

I could go ON!

BONUS ROUND, some Ps360 games have aged well too:

Gears of War 3 - At 4K absolutely insane!

Last of Us - Good lord still beautiful.

Uncharted 3 - Impressive AF.

Forza Horizon - can be played at 4K, + MSAA & SSAA on 1080p screen, mind-blowing.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Wake Up Reaction GIF by Originals

Aion002

These games are like two years old. That's not ageing.
This.

Playing again some 360 games on the Series S, I got surprised on how pleasant some are today and could easily be mistaken as AA games recently released on this gen. Games like Dead Space, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Metal Gear Rising.

While even playing on the old Ps3, games like Puppeteer, GoW 3/Ascension and Ni no Kuni are still impressive.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This.

Playing again some 360 games on the Series S, I got surprised on how pleasant some are today and could easily be mistaken as AA games recently released on this gen. Games like Dead Space, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Metal Gear Rising.

While even playing on the old Ps3, games like Puppeteer, GoW 3/Ascension and Ni no Kuni are still impressive.
I recently finished to 100% cheevos MGR and it was really amazing experience at stable framerate. Wish games like this would still come out.

And also best soundtrack in games bar none. Hot Wind Blowing

Last edited:

Aion002

I recently finished to 100% cheevos MGR and it was really amazing experience at stable framerate. Wish games like this would still come out.
Me too...MGR, Anarchy Reigns and Vanquish are everything I love in Platinum games.. I wish that there were more of them.

CJ_75

I never used the BC functionality of a next gen console. It all changed with the PS5.
I bought Playstation 5 incl. Spiderman Remastered + Miles Morales 2 months ago. Up until now, I have only played PS4 games.
First, started with Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted collection and the patched God of War. God of War looks like a early PS5 game. It's a must (re)play. Going to install Spidey soon and hoping more patched PS4 games are underway.

Aion002

There are plenty of platinum games around. Also similar games like DMC V and stuff.
None of them reached the same levels of enjoyment that I had with those 3 games.

Nier Automata is great, but for me it was mostly because of Yoko Taro crazy stories, I felt that Platinum played too safe on the gameplay and for replayability both Anarchy and MGR are better in my opinion.

Now DMCV on the other hand was quite boring... A huge downgrade from DMCIV in my opinion.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yeah they’re okay this is where upgrading consoles day 1 sounds crazy when games from last gen haven’t aged.

There are a total of 2 current gen exclusives with a decent budget so far, right? I’ve no doubt that we will look back in a few years and the difference between the generations will be immediately apparent. Especially for last gen games that haven’t gotten a 60 fps patch.

Doesn’t matter for me though, I’ll play anything.

I've been replaying GoW on PS5 and it is insanely good looking game.
I have taken quite a lot of screen shots and just looking the scenery.

But the absolutely best thing about these nextgen updates is the upgrade to 60 fps.

Aion002

No idea how you could think DMC 4 was better than 5. 5 is better in literally every way.
In my opinion: the "stages" are boring, the complete lack of puzzles is sad, there are no interesting villains, there's no memorable moments and the game is too short.

Yes, 4 has a lot backtracking and other issues... Maybe I expected too much from 5, but I finished once and I forgot about it. While I can still remember a lot of things from 1, 3 and 4, games that from time to time I want to replay.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The main generation that aged horribly to me, at least in terms of 3d games, is the PS1/N64/Saturn gen. Every gen before and after are fine.

In an alternate reality PS1/N64/Saturn gen would have had way more high quality 2D games instead of pushing so hard for 3D. This stuff is what excited me the most back then:

legend-of-mana-screen-shot-2017-01-11-12-13-am-2.jpg

261655032.png

36995-Hercs_Adventures_U-3-1620x1200.png

wLOMh3U.gif

marvelvsstreet.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There are a total of 2 current gen exclusives with a decent budget so far, right? I’ve no doubt that we will look back in a few years and the difference between the generations will be immediately apparent. Especially for last gen games that haven’t gotten a 60 fps patch.

Doesn’t matter for me though, I’ll play anything.
Demon's Souls and The Medium? I can't think of anything else. BC is really here to save the day.

Sailing in Sea of Thieves at 120+fps is amazing.
Smooth framerate + amazing HDR is bliss to play on LG CX.

Also this is good thread v_iHuGi v_iHuGi don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Some of you are so negative jezz...

Nah these games look great man, it's just that if someone sells you a wine and calls it "vintage" after it's been aged for 8 months, send the wine back

Spaceman292

Banned
In my opinion: the "stages" are boring, the complete lack of puzzles is sad, there are no interesting villains, there's no memorable moments and the game is too short.

Yes, 4 has a lot backtracking and other issues... Maybe I expected too much from 5, but I finished once and I forgot about it. While I can still remember a lot of things from 1, 3 and 4, games that from time to time I want to replay.
The puzzles in the other games were bull, I'm glad they're gone. All they did was slow things down.
Vergil is super cool, a little more compelling than 'sinister old man whoever the fuck' from 4.
The game is way longer than 4.
And I thought it had plenty of memorable moment, especially towards the end. I can't remember shit about 4 except for when Dante shoots that old man a does that speech with the bug guy.

MadPanda

Banned
I've recently replayed quantum break and enjoyed it maybe even more than the first time. With a one x patch it still holds up.
Bloodborne obviously, sotc remake. Ryse son of Rome still looks decent.

I feel like those early gen games are much better from this distance in time. Back when they launched people expected something never seen before, a showcase for their new toys so obviously there were some disappointments.

Gamerguy84

Coming from a PS3 to a PS4 was crazy. I just couldn't go back to those games.

With a simple patch though I'm loving a lot of PS4 games on the PS5.

Diddy X

Mostly cross-gen games so far, wait a couple years when we get used to new graphics.

Still being able to play old games at higher framerates and resolutions is a gift.

Last edited:

Dark Star

Pretty much any game from 2015/2016 still looks pretty darn good:

Uncharted 4
MGSV
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Witcher 3
Arkham Knight
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Last edited:

amigastar

We are at a point where graphics won't look that bad even when they are old, don't think there is much of a surprise there.
Idk man, thats a bold statement. We'll see in 5 years. I'd say it depends on the game. Will Doom Eternal still look good in 5 years, we'll see.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
You dont have any next gen reference to compare it to. There are barely any next gen games out.

Personally. I think games with good art age well. I dont have any problem with any generation.

Kuranghi

Anyone on PC here who hasn't gone back to see Dead Space 2 at 4K with Transparency AA (Or supersampled 1080p if you don't have a 4K screen) please do because its amazing how well that holds up. You can read the fudging text on the monitors and signs and some of it is actual lore that you couldn't see before in the console versions so it adds to the game. Its fucking ace.

Kuranghi

So here I am, growing older all the time,
Looking older all the time,
Feeling younger in my mind…

burger-in-cyberpunk-2077-vs-battlefield-hardline-comparison.jpg

Wow that McBurger is so excellent, the "craft-burger" equivalent is the one from the first shot of RE2 remake:

Resident-Evil-2-Remake-Cheeseburger.jpg

The game isn't calibrated properly, you aren't meant to see that much of the left side of burger, it should be in shadow, but the pics with the correct black levels/brightness are too dark and low quality unfortunately so just squint your eyes okay lol.

edit - Oh cool, found this, the model ripped from the game in bright lighting:

Etj9ccGU0AIVuZ5

The model work is amazing, imagine you could see it with the ground truth textures.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
halo 4 is still to date a mindblowing game. Some others from ps3/360 era as well, gears judgement, for example.

ManaByte

The main generation that aged horribly to me, at least in terms of 3d games, is the PS1/N64/Saturn gen. Every gen before and after are fine.

In an alternate reality PS1/N64/Saturn gen would have had way more high quality 2D games instead of pushing so hard for 3D. This stuff is what excited me the most back then:

The Saturn was amazing when it came to 2D and Sega didn't want to exterminate the genre the way Sony did.

Sony hated 2D games so much they told Konami they wouldn't approve Symphony of the Night for US release. Back then Konami still had some balls and held MGS hostage, telling Sony that if they didn't approve SOTN for US release then they wouldn't bring over MGS.

cireza

Banned
Sony hated 2D games so much they told Konami they wouldn't approve Symphony of the Night for US release. Back then Konami still had some balls and held MGS hostage, telling Sony that if they didn't approve SOTN for US release then they wouldn't bring over MGS.
Same situation with Capcom and Megaman / Resident Evil 2. What a shit company Sony is.

Top Bottom