• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 worldwide shipments top 102.8 million, becomes second best-selling home game console of all time

12:31 GMT

Uh, my brain. LOL

That usually happens when an idiot tries to think to hard and still fail.

13:31 GMT Nov.23 = 8:31 EST NOV.22.

If you weren't such a deranged fanboy your brain would work. MS did actually announce US sales separately ON the 23rd, so why would they do that if they already counted US SALES IN THE 1 MILLION NUMBER to 8PM on launch day that was still going on in the US?

Doesn't make any sense.

Just admit you failed and move on, with zero to minimal (at best but doubtful) US sales, the Xbox One sold over 1 million units in LESS than 24 hours without really having the all sales of it's best selling region (US/Canada/Mexico).

You really need to see a doctor about that fanboy obsession.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
36.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers is far lower than I expected.

I guess multiplayer isn't a big of a deal as people think.
PS4 is THE single player console. Xbox players are just more competitively spirited and more social. I'm pretty sure Xbox has more subscribers to Live with half the consoles. Even if they were dead even on subscribers this would still be a notable stat.

That being said. Sony has it's strengths too. Clearly in the console and exclusives department they are unmatched. Very impressive topping 100 million.

Vawn

Banned

If you weren't such a deranged fanboy your brain would work. MS did actually announce US sales separately ON the 23rd, so why would they do that if they already counted US SALES IN THE 1 MILLION NUMBER to 8PM on launch day that was still going on in the US?

Doesn't make any sense.

Just admit you failed and move on, with zero to minimal (at best but doubtful) US sales, the Xbox One sold over 1 million units in LESS than 24 hours without really having the all sales of it's best selling region (US/Canada/Mexico).

You're constantly calling others names like this. Calm down and work on the quality of your own posts and polls about nonsense.

Let's look closer at that generation:

PS2 - 158 million
Xbox - 24 million
GameCube - 22 million
Dreamcast - 9 million

I know it didn't sell great. That's why it's a shame. The Dreamcast and Xbox, through to the early years of the 360, were some of, if not the, greatest period in console gaming

Vawn

Banned
I know it didn't sell great. That's why it's a shame. The Dreamcast and Xbox, through to the early years of the 360, were some of, if not the, greatest period in console gaming

Hmmm. I can't agree with that. But, to each their own, I guess.

Hmmm. I can't agree with that. But, to each their own, I guess.

The innovations we saw on the DC, the risks of the Xbox and the polish and golden years of the 360 weren't the some of the best eras in gaming? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Shenmue, brute force, sonic adventures, headhunter, vigilante 8, Kingdom under fire, Advent rising, Halo, Condemned, Alan wake, Mass effect, Jade empire, Dragon age, breakdown, Deathrow, Mirrors edge...to name but a very few select number of genre changing games, some of which raised the bar for 3D RPG's.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I can't really disagree.

Online gaming was getting established, Sony was double downing on their first party efforts, Nintendo was doing its Wii thing. I think all 3 really contributed deeply that generation into what they would really be defined as.

Sony supporting first party single players.
MS establishing online concepts as standard
Nintendo seeking new concepts for hardware in terms of how we play.

Now I might be a bit bias as you folks know how much I favor Sony as a publisher, but I agree around that time was a very unique time for gaming.

FranXico

I can't really disagree.

Online gaming was getting established, Sony was double downing on their first party efforts, Nintendo was doing its Wii thing. I think all 3 really contributed deeply that generation into what they would really be defined as.

Sony supporting first party single players.
MS establishing online concepts as standard
Nintendo seeking new concepts for hardware in terms of how we play.

Now I might be a bit bias as you folks know how much I favor Sony as a publisher, but I agree around that time was a very unique time for gaming.
We could really elaborate on last gen in another thread in more detail. It was competition at its finest at the end of the day.

EDMIX

We could really elaborate on last gen in another thread in more detail. It was competition at its finest at the end of the day.

Agreed. Last gen showed what was sound and would be established vs what was simply a fluke. It really put into place what would be focused on in the future. Everyone had an idea of what the future of gaming would really be, only 1 really had that concept nailed down and continued that idea. The competition pretty much narrowed down what would be an established concept going forward.

Vawn

Banned
The innovations we saw on the DC, the risks of the Xbox and the polish and golden years of the 360 weren't the some of the best eras in gaming? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Shenmue, brute force, sonic adventures, headhunter, vigilante 8, Kingdom under fire, Advent rising, Halo, Condemned, Alan wake, Mass effect, Jade empire, Dragon age, breakdown, Deathrow, Mirrors edge...to name but a very few select number of genre changing games, some of which raised the bar for 3D RPG's.

None of those games compared to anything with the great Nintendo and Squaresoft games from the SNES and PS1 days.

Games like Mirror's Edge, Dragon Age, Mass Effect were multi-platform games.

Chiggs

I think Microsoft is really hosed next generation. I mean, unless Sony pulls a PS3 x 2, Microsoft is going to have to bundle their console with free pizzas for a year to get gamers to budge.

Doesn't make any sense.

As long MS in their reports stated Xbone has sold in 1 million units across the globe on launch day : Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, the UK, and the US MY POINT STANDS.

Cheers!

Klayzer

Knock off the personal attacks. Especially when you have a glass house of a post history yourselves.
It's really difficult for some posters on this board to have a regular conversation without the silly internet bravado. You can pretty much guarantee a personal attack is coming, when they post more than once in any topic. All we are doing is discussing video games for christ sake.

None of those games compared to anything with the great Nintendo and Squaresoft games from the SNES and PS1 days.

Games like Mirror's Edge, Dragon Age, Mass Effect were multi-platform games.

I wasn't championing the xbox over other consoles. Just that I had the DC, xbox and 360 during that period. It was a great time for games across the board.

Although I've never been a Nintendo fan. Don't know why, they've just nevwr appealed to me

Vawn

Banned
I wasn't championing the xbox over other consoles. Just that I had the DC, xbox and 360 during that period. It was a great time for games across the board.

Although I've never been a Nintendo fan. Don't know why, they've just nevwr appealed to me

It's most likely just nostalgia for that time of your life. I'm guessing that's around the time you got seriously into gaming?

In the NES and SNES days, you didn't need to be a Nintendo guy. Nintendo had almost everything wrapped up exclusively- Nintendo, Squaresoft, Capcol, Konami, EA, Enix etc.

That's why the word Nintendo was synonymous with videogames back then. No one said "I like videogames". We just said "I like Nintendo". Hell, people should even describe playing Sega Master System as "playing Nintendo".

As long MS in their reports stated Xbone has sold in 1 million units across the globe on launch day : Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, the UK, and the US MY POINT STANDS.

Cheers!

NO, you don't have a point, you can't ignore the times the articles were posted for biased reasons. Sorry. Times zones clearly show based on the articles a point where the Xbox One did not launch in the US yet, and a time where the Nov.22nd wasn't yet over in the US.

It's most likely just nostalgia for that time of your life. I'm guessing that's around the time you got seriously into gaming?

In the NES and SNES days, you didn't need to be a Nintendo guy. Nintendo had almost everything wrapped up exclusively- Nintendo, Squaresoft, Capcol, Konami, EA, Enix etc.

That's why the word Nintendo was synonymous with videogames back then. No one said "I like videogames". We just said "I like Nintendo". Hell, people should even describe playing Sega Master System as "playing Nintendo".

EA wasn't really a Nintendo company to be honest, something around 2 games on the NES, and some modest support on the SNES but it was really more prominent on the Genesis and later the 3DO.

But yeah, people, especially older people, would just say "you playin that Atari" or "You playin that Nintendo", and kids would usually just talk about one most of the time, the one that was the most popular.

Vawn

Banned
NO, you don't have a point, you can't ignore the times the articles were posted for biased reasons. Sorry. Times zones clearly show based on the articles a point where the Xbox One did not launch in the US yet, and a time where the Nov.22nd wasn't yet over in the US.

Lol just give it up. You'll argue about anything.

Common response from people that can't debunk evidence that's linked to reliable sources and the sources clearly show what time the article was posted. You also aren't helping your case by trying to start an argument with me without anyway to debunk the links or the time frames. But you gotta try hard to get that word in eh?

Last edited:

Then send a notice to MS HQ and ask them why they published PR which says that Xbone has sold in 1 million units globally on launch day which includes Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, the UK, and the US.

MS did actually announce US sales separately ON the 23rd,

Please provide a very specific link where MS STRICTLY mentioning Xbone sales on a launch day in US. I really want to see that.

Just want to see how far Xbone fan can go being delusional. Pushing worthless discussion about time difference ( LOL ) when MS clearly said in how many countries Xbone is launched and in how many units is sold on a launch day. Also Afro said that MS gave PR specifically about US sales on a launch day. LOL Xbone today is in that state because people like him.

Last edited:
Then send a notice to MS HQ and ask them why they published PR which says that Xbone has sold in 1 million units globally on launch day which includes Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, the UK, and the US.

(first of all you're being deceptive since it only mentioned those countries in the context that it was launched on the 22nd, it doesn't specific those countries sold the 1 million)

No matter how much you say this, it doesn't change the fact that I linked you to an article that announced the 1 million before Nov.23rd in the US.

The only person spinning this is you and I have no idea why, you can't debunk the time the articles were posted, that's not actually possible, they are plain for all to see, so you literally don't have an argument and have nothing to stand on. Period. The only issue is you don't want to admit that NONE or "some" at best of that 1st million for the Xbox One involved the US.

It's ok man, the time zones aren't disputable, there's nothing more to discuss. If you can't come back a reply disputing the time zones, than we have to go with the facts, and the facts, as even you posted, show the 1 million article was uploaded while it was still launch day in the US.

(first of all you're being deceptive since it only mentioned those countries in the context that it was launched on the 22nd, it doesn't specific those countries sold the 1 million)

No matter how much you say this, it doesn't change the fact that I linked you to an article that announced the 1 million before Nov.23rd in the US.

The only person spinning this is you and I have no idea why, you can't debunk the time the articles were posted, that's not actually possible, they are plain for all to see, so you literally don't have an argument and have nothing to stand on. Period. The only issue is you don't want to admit that NONE or "some" at best of that 1st million for the Xbox One involved the US.

It's ok man, the time zones aren't disputable, there's nothing more to discuss. If you can't come back a reply disputing the time zones, than we have to go with the facts, and the facts, as even you posted, show the 1 million article was uploaded while it was still launch day in the US.

So, you failed to deliver a link.

I'm asking you again :

Please provide a very specific link where MS STRICTLY mentioning Xbone sales on a launch day in US. I really want to see that.

So, you say Xbone was launched last in US on Nov. 23.
Fact is....this video is published on Nov. 21. Just few hours before opening on Nov. 22nd in US ( NY, Times Square )

Last edited:
No i didn't say that and you know it stop lying.

Either debunk the timezones of the articles or quit.

Oh, yes, you did. You said on previous page :

Yes, and the US was launched last on that very day, and they announced the 1 million sold before the US launch on that same day

And this your quote also CLEARLY indicates that all other countries, 12 in this case, got Xbone before US

it doesn't change the fact that I linked you to an article that announced the 1 million before Nov.23rd in the US.

So, official Xbone launch video was published on 21st Nov., few hours before opening on 22nd. Nov.

So, you failed to deliver a link.

I'm asking you again :

Please provide a very specific link where MS STRICTLY mentioning Xbone sales on a launch day in US. I really want to see that. I want to read that PR which says something like this "Xbone has sold on a launch day in US in xxxxxxxxx units"

Last edited:
Oh, yes, you did. You said on previous page :

No I didn't

they announced the 1 million sold before the US launch on that same day.

Lying and taking posts out of context is not the way to go about this, everytime you return you slip up and deflect by trying to change the subject.

You have not once posted anything to debunk the time zones and I'm the only one who posted links to anything relevant in this conversation.

Either debunk the timezone on the next post or you lose, simple as that, if you were an honest post you should be able to do it but instead you deflect every single post, and do your YouTube comment tier lol posts.

Either debunk the time zones or you're wrong, they are not disputable, unless you're saying the people who posted the articles lied about the times they went up? Sounds crazy to me.

The claim was that the 1 million was achieved before the US was fully counted, and I'm the only one that has backed up his position, all you've done is run away trying to change the subject. It's time for you to actually respond refuting those link or it's a good day sir.

And knowing you you'll just go back to deflecting, so you tried man, but it's over. You don't have anything to debunk those links and are now misquoting me, that's pretty low. Seems you're finished.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
iu

This is the most pointless argument I've seen on here in awhile, shut up so I stop getting notifications from this thread everytime you two post something. I'd like to see actual replies to the thread topic. K thanks. Both of you have contradicted yourselves anyway.

Back on topic. the PS4 needs a price drop. I think it could reach the PS2 if Sony finds a way to reach the $99 price point.

No I didn't

Lying and taking posts out of context is not the way to go about this, everytime you return you slip up and deflect by trying to change the subject.

You have not once posted anything to debunk the time zones and I'm the only one who posted links to anything relevant in this conversation.

Either debunk the timezone on the next post or you lose, simple as that, if you were an honest post you should be able to do it but instead you deflect every single post, and do your YouTube comment tier lol posts.

Either debunk the time zones or you're wrong, they are not disputable, unless you're saying the people who posted the articles lied about the times they went up? Sounds crazy to me.

The claim was that the 1 million was achieved before the US was fully counted, and I'm the only one that has backed up his position, all you've done is run away trying to change the subject. It's time for you to actually respond refuting those link or it's a good day sir.

And knowing you you'll just go back to deflecting, so you tried man, but it's over. You don't have anything to debunk those links and are now misquoting me, that's pretty low. Seems you're finished.

Em, yes, you did actually. You literally said that Xbone was launched last in US. That's not a misquote. Also, your VG247 link doesn't said anything about US specifically, it talks about worldwide launch : " Xbox One launched in 13 markets yesterday with 22 game titles available". Please provide a very specific link where MS STRICTLY mentioning Xbone sales on a launch day in US. I really want to see that. Just a tiny little PR about US sales on a launch day

Last edited:
This is the most pointless argument I've seen on here in awhile, shut up so I stop getting notifications from this thread everytime you two post something. I'd like to see actual replies to the thread topic. K thanks. Both of you have contradicted yourselves anyway.

Back on topic. the PS4 needs a price drop. I think it could reach the PS2 if Sony finds a way to reach the $99 price point.

Really, i'm sorry. But i really have fun arguing with him.

DonJimbo

Im proud to be a playstation fan from the start on
I enjoy their games and will Support them every Generation as i did from the start

The poster you are responding to is British, and so am I. His experiences with the Xbox aren't that much different to your Nintendo Nostalgia as the Brand is pretty relevant here as was SEGA back in the day.

Nintendo was never synonymous with games in the UK, that was SEGA, Commodore and Spectrum. Nintendo's only successful consoles here were the Handhelds and the Wii.

I understand that Nintendo had the lions share of Developers and Publishers during the NES/SNES days, but you are only speaking from the American side of History.

We (UK and parts of Europe) were very much happy with SEGA's offerings, as well as Factor 5, Taito, Apex Productions, Toaplan and the like. In Brazil, SEGA is what you would call the Nintendo of Video Games.

Regarding the PS4, Sony seem to be the only Company that keeps their Brand under a unified umbrella for the World, although sometimes they treat certain regions poorly as they know they are popular to do this (Europe, Middle East etc)

Very true. Like S Slings and Arrows I've never had any interest in Nintendo (I bought the mini consoles recently but still yet to try them). No one I knew in the 80s was ever into Nintendo tbh.

Yeah and that is what is so interesting about Gaming History. No country has the same preferences! For the US/Canada, Atari, Nintendo and Sony will always have historical value, but for the UK, we have the likes of SEGA, Commodore, Atari, Spectrum, Sony and Microsoft for our Gaming History. (Even the BBC Micro was significant for Elite)

Nintendo are of course more prevalent now as they tend to re-release these games frequently, but the nostalgia isn't there for those of us who played other systems and games during that time. I appreciate what they have done, but they have no historical background in the UK, other than expanding the audience by getting the mainstream to play games on the Wii/DS.

The Xbox, I would say, had a pretty significant impact in the UK early on, and I absolutely loved their Online Infrastructure for the 360 early on. I do think that Microsoft deserves more credit in that area for introducing the UK to mainstream online.

My brother and some of his friends got to taste online gaming for the first time and made life long friends thanks to Gears of War. Of course other companies offered online as a bonus but I would say that the Xbox/360 made it possible to set up a console online much more easily and introduced fast patches and a community you cared about. They also introduced Indie games before Sony made it a bigger deal than it actually is. (Nintendo tried this on the Wii but it was on a very small scale).

It's just sad that Microsoft moved away from that and became more corporate, which I think did affect UK sales a little.

Last edited:

As Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice said in his post, Nintendo wasn't the most popular console here, it was Sega. What's funny is that if you had a Nintendo, you were seen as a bit of a wierdo that didn't quite get games or you just wanted to stand out. Cultural differences, eh?

I started my gaming life at a very young age, playing Spy vs Spy and Fantasy zone on the Master System. I think i'm lucky, in that I've seen the biggest and best changes in the gaming industry, while being old enough to appreciate how we got where we are.

I think nowadays, kids coming in to gaming are missing the most important parts of the games; how they became what they were. To play Sonic and Knuckles one year and then Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot the next is mind-blowing. Trying to describe the feeling of seeing 3D games for the first time, is very difficult.

Top Bottom