• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 won’t turn on, can I save the data on the drive?

BreakOut

So this is my brothers PlayStation, I gave him my old PS4 Pro when I got my PlayStation five. That PlayStation (pro) broke, nothing seems to work to fix it so we’ve kind of just given up on that because he has a normal PlayStation 4. He doesn’t play a lot so he doesn’t have PS+. His saves are on that ps4 pro. The big one being Fallout 4.

So, does anyone know if it is possible to take that hard drive out of the PS4 pro and put it into the other PS4 without it reformatting and erasing all the data? I’m trying not to just stick it in and guess because if it does just auto reformat then it’s gone. When I look online I keep finding answers that really aren’t related to what I’m asking and I just can’t seem to find a for sure hit. I’m guessing someone has tried this before, his saves are not uploaded or anything like that so getting it off the hard drive is truly the only way.

Thanks guys.

Antwix

As far as I know, the hard drive gets encrypted by the host PS4. So yeah if you stick in the hard drive to the other PS4, it will need to be formatted. So basically, sorry you're out of luck if you're unable to boot your PS4 pro.

Gamerguy84

If you don't have cloud saves you'd need to pit a new power supply in (likely the problem.)

I don't think you can navigate sonys file system.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah having to set what games got cloud saves sucked on the ps4 but at the same time it also currupted my FF15 save file. 👎

BreakOut

Damn, that’s kind of what I was afraid of. But at least I know now for sure. It’s definitely the power supply, there’s no beeping or anything like that. Might get it looked at for being repaired but I’m not sure what the cost versus benefit ratio would be. I don’t think they make the pros anymore so it might be even more expensive than it should be to begin with. Thanks everyone.

Thief1987

So, does anyone know if it is possible to take that hard drive out of the PS4 pro and put it into the other PS4 without it reformatting and erasing all the data?
No, hdd's file system is encrypted with per console key. To obtain the key you need to dump flash memory of ps4. It can be done with software on a jailbroken console. But in your case you can only do it by using a hardware flash dumper. It's doable, but it's not easy. Here is pretty good guide how to do it, though i don't know if it worth it just for recovering save files

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-how-to-take-a-nor-backup-on-every-ps4.28070/

Last edited:

wvnative

if you don't have plus and you never used usb backup, its hosed.

There MIGHT be a way to access the encrypted drive but that's beyond my expertise, if i were you I'd ask the PlayStation hacking community

Top Bottom