• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming - SIE VP Hideaki Nishino confirms.

Boss Mog

#WeBelieveInCrossGenerations

With over 110 million PS4's in circulation, they'd be silly not to continue to support it, just as they did with the PS2 for all those years.
Yep, I remember buying Persona 4 on PS2 in 2008, 2 years after PS3 came out. This has been the case every generation pretty much so I don't know why people are acting surprised all of a sudden.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Ratchet & Clank, Demon's souls, astroboy: niche games/genres = PS5 exclusives.

Horizon, Spiderman, GT7, GoW (maybe?): mainstream blockbuster titles = crossgen.

It's quite clear what they mean, you'd be dumb to think any of the "big games" coming out in the next years will be PS5 only.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"we believe in generations"..."but we will launch the same shit on both and not really focusing on one after quite some time"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What big exclusives did they release on PS2 after the PS3 released?

Genuine question btw. I can't remember either way.

Comparison is utterly irrelevant either way. The generational transition happened a year before they launched PS3 when MS unceremoniously killed off the OG Xbox and introduced the 360. Obviously on a hardware level PS2 was wildly dissimilar to both 360 and PS3 especially in regards to its inability to access all the onlne functionality that the new gen introduced.

What instead happened was that major releases like Final Fantasy XII, ended up coming out in the overlap period on the older hardware and never subsequently reappeared on the newer due to needing an almost complete rewrite.

This time, transition on both Xbox and Playstation is in-sync, the games themselves are compatible at a binary level, and upgrading builds is comparatively trivial with developers having a large margin of choice in terms of degree of enhancement.

Flintty

The likes of 'CatLady' seem to spend their entire lives liking any positive Xbox posts, and anything negative about Playstation.

It's absolutely fucking pathetic.

On topic, I guess God of War will be a big test of this strategy. I already half expected GT7 to be cross gen tbh, because it looks like a fairly gentle evolution from GT Sport.
It's not hard to notice if you have a 3 figure IQ.

You're the worst fucking console warrior on here. And that's saying something.
No.

Disliking console warrior fuckwits is not the same as BEING a console warrior fuckwit.

Fucking obviously.

Nki7rNC.jpg

Your appraisal of CatLady CatLady is grossly incorrect. You’ve clearly not been in the Xbox threads being shit up by PS fans.

Vick

Gold Member
People forget the first big expensive AAA from Sony was Uncharted 4 in 2016, almost 2.5 years after. Bloodborne and Order was 1.5 years.

No way Sony is releasing Spider-Man, Horizon 2, God of War and GT7 in less 1 year from launch exclusively to PS5
Pretty sure people were playing Shadow Fall at launch and Infamous soon after. And both games were next-gen enough to still be impressive today.

But of course, would be silly for them to abandon 100+ million users. If you were one of those laughing at Microsoft though, you better stay away from this Thread.

NullZ3r0

Banned
They don't want to abandon that install base and start over. Why abandon selling software to tens of millions of paying customers for a fraction of that?
You're preaching to the choir. It's just fun watching you guys contort and walk back months of trolling games like Halo Infinite for being cross gen. What's ironic is that with the Series S, MS is better positioned to move fully into the next gen than the PS5.

I really believe Sony is losing a good bit on the PS5 hardware and they need to make that up in software sales. So I'm with you, it makes sense. The problem is that it made sense 6 months ago too.

Sony benefitted from the "generations" hype only to quietly roll back plans by means of unofficial announcements. I still think it's scummy. Sony has a habit of doing this shit and so I revel when they have to walk it back. Their whole E3 2005 was basically this. Bullshots, platitudes and piling on the competition only to have to roll back expectations a year later.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Nki7rNC.jpg

Your appraisal of CatLady CatLady is grossly incorrect. You’ve clearly not been in the Xbox threads being shit up by PS fans.

No, I haven't.

Cos I'm not a fanboy.

And I never said all fanboys are Xbox fans.

But when I see threads being fucked up by fanboys I complain about them directly; I don't go and do the same to the "other" side.

vkbest

Pretty sure people were playing Shadow Fall at launch and Infamous soon after. And both games were next-gen enough to still be impressive today.

But of course, would be silly for them to abandon 100+ million users. If you were one of those laughing at Microsoft though, you better stay away from this Thread.

Killzone and Infamous weren’t games with expectation over 10 million sales

ReBurn

Gold Member
You're preaching to the choir. It's just fun watching you guys contort and walk back months of trolling games like Halo Infinite for being cross gen. What's ironic is that with the Series S, MS is better positioned to move fully into the next gen than the PS5.

I really believe Sony is losing a good bit on the PS5 hardware and they need to make that up in software sales. So I'm with you, it makes sense. The problem is that it made sense 6 months ago too.

Sony benefitted from the "generations" hype only to quietly roll back plans by means of unofficial announcements. I still think it's scummy. Sony has a habit of doing this shit and so I revel when they have to walk it back. Their whole E3 2005 was basically this. Bullshots, platitudes and piling on the competition only to have to roll back expectations a year later.
I happen to support cross gen. Games just work now regardless of where you buy them. That's how it should be. That's how it always should have been.

Just reposting what i said in the other thread.

It's not that Nishino his saying in this interview. He is saying that he expect most of the peoples will transition from the PS4 to the PS5 in three years, so in the meantime they have to make sure that the games peoles buy on PS4 should work on PS5.

At a certain point in time, they asked developers to develop games based on the assumption that they will be cross-gen between PS4 and PS5. He never say that the Sony games will be cross-gen for the next three years.

Their translation is strange.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Microsoft: we want to support our previous console while offering a better experience on One X
Neogaf: haha cross gen sucks, Craig sucks and its because of cross gen and not 343i.
Sony: we believe in generations.
Gaf: Yes Sony you just keep on going
Also sony: alright we make cross gen games and you have to buy the game two times.
Gaf:
importedImage170960_header

dano1

A Sheep
Did some of you miss the words next Gen Exclusives? That means PS5 only
And the ones that are playing on the PS4 are PS5 downgrades that are being made now.
Don’t see the issue with this smart approach?

People forget the first big expensive AAA from Sony was Uncharted 4 in 2016, almost 2.5 years after. Bloodborne and Order was 1.5 years.

No way Sony is releasing Spider-Man, Horizon 2, God of War and GT7 in less 1 year from launch exclusively to PS5
In fairness they had Killzone, Infamous, Driveclub and Until Dawn by then. All outputting graphics beyond the PS3's wildest dreams.

Jon Neu

Banned
The likes of 'CatLady' seem to spend their entire lives liking any positive Xbox posts, and anything negative about Playstation.

It's absolutely fucking pathetic.

No, I haven't.

Cos I'm not a fanboy.

And I never said all fanboys are Xbox fans.

But when I see threads being fucked up by fanboys I complain about them directly; I don't go and do the same to the "other" side.

I sure do see a lot of PS5 threads dominated by Xbox fanboy retards on this "SonyGAF" site.

PS5's SSD is more important than Xsux's tiny power advantage.

The SSD is about 130% faster on the PS5 and the Xbox has 18% more teraflops, so the overall power advantage for PS5 is 112%, or thereabouts.

That'll probably translate to something like 4k on PS5 and 1440p on Xbox, which is what we've already seen from Yakuza 7.

tenor.gif

BeardGawd

Banned
The amount of defending this is ridiculous. Xbox has been COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT since day one about the Series X. And they got shitted on only for Sony to turn around and do the same thing.

Sony on the other hand won't answer basic questions about the PS5's functions. Letting their fanyboys spread lies and disinformation unfettered.

Tells you this will be the quickest transition of any of their generations. Implying that to get most of Sony's 1st party you would need to rush out and pre-order a PS5.

Tells you all PS4 games work (except a short list) with improvements on PS5. Turns out there are plenty of games not on their list that have issues.

Tells you their variable clocks are really sustained clocks and will be at Max frequencies at all times.

Tells you they are for gamers but yet they're the main ones spearheading $70 games.

When will people wake up?

skneogaf

Can't blame Sony for wanting their games on 100 million ps4's.

They should not have said the generations thing though as they look silly right now.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is so funny, but you know the PS5 is the only true next gen machine, right? I heard it right here on these boards. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The board = Cross gen ruins gaming. Xbox series S is the coming of satan! (at least it's not 7 years old tech)
Reality = It's fine, developers have been doing it for years, and it's only become easier as most platforms are very similar (including the PS5, despite the ssd hype)

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
So let's see the change in narratives now:

Old narrative: PS MUST produce AAA 1st party exclusives as next-gen only.
Result: Not happening for at least 3yrs.
New narrative: If they have decent enough graphics differences from PS4 to PS5 like Spiderman MM, then we are OK with that. ALthough we fail to see these same differences in multiplat games from console to high end PC graphics features..

Old narrative: PS will have native 4k/60FPS games.
Result: PS5 will have "dynamic res" 4k/60FPS and native 4k/30FPS
New narrative: We can deal with that as long as the game continues to look like past gen PS4 exclusives.

Old narrative: PS will have full RT features in games.
Result: Only RT reflections are available right now.
New narrative: RT is too expensive anyway. We'll be happy with the RT reflection games though.

Face it, you guys will accept anything Sony withdraws from the old narrative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom