• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming - SIE VP Hideaki Nishino confirms.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Guess everyone will just have to play the true next gen game, Rift Apart until then. My favorite game series ever is the only one brave enough to go full next gen

Xbox Series X|S are the only next gen consoles with real next gen exclusives coming in 2021/22, take this as a fact and don't be nervous.
Well Returnal and Ratchet PS5 only.

On XBOX side Flight Simulator will be next gen only and helllblade 2 nd all will be nextgen only

Bergoglio

Well Returnal and Ratchet PS5 only.

On XBOX side Flight Simulator will be next gen only and helllblade 2 nd all will be nextgen only
And Forza Motorsport, and fable and perfect dark, and Avowed, and State of decay 3, and everwild

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
3682114-ratchet-ps5.jpg

They don't want to abandon that install base and start over. Why abandon selling software to tens of millions of paying customers for a fraction of that?

Eventually every one of the console manufacturers have to make that choice but I will say that given PS4's popularity and the state of PS5 stock, the delay to next generation was expected.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Eventually every one of the console manufacturers have to make that choice but I will say that given PS4's popularity and the state of PS5 stock, the delay to next generation was expected.
Eventually, yes. But not in the first few months after the console launches.

Enjay

Banned
If ratchet and demon's souls really are ps5 only (doubtful) than i'm curious to see how much money they've lost/will lose.

If we are going by the beloved metric of the Teraflop crowd. X1X has more TF than the XSS. :messenger_loudly_crying:
And like the Sony crowd has correctly said TF aren't everything. After all the XSS has more 120fps games than more expensive consoles with more TF.
How many times have you written that post now?

You haven't set the bar very high.

One could argue it's akin to the level of ambition put into making the plastic box.
How many times do you ignore that there are PCs with lower specs than XSS yet you keep on pushing the XSS is the weakest platform in existence. On top of that the guy from ID you like to quote got Doom running on the Switch. Yet for some reason future ID games won't be able to run on the XSS. It's ridiculous.

3liteDragon

If ratchet and demon's souls really are ps5 only (doubtful) than i'm curious to see how much money they've lost/will lose.
Insomniac already confirmed there was no PS4 port in development while they were working on Ratchet, highly doubt Sony's gonna make them work on a PS4 port AFTER the game comes out on PS5. But for games like Spider-Man 2, it's most likely cross-gen too.

You're putting your brand tribalism in the way of the argument. A lot of statements in there can't possibly prove.

If you're going to remove all the challenging parts for the XSS out of the game, on lots of cross gen games, then it's really not living up to next gen tag.

When the X1X can do certain things better, it's not a good look either.

Can only imagine what they strip out in actual next gen games, to get it to run. It's all feels a bit misleading.

I'm sure if you strip out enough the XSS and X1X can run everything. Since even Nintendo Switch managed to run Witcher 3, after sacrificing enough.

But my question is why can't the machine run the exact same game at a lower resolution, did MS mess up? Why does some next gen game features run at sub 600p? If it's that low why even include it.

And why is MS approach better than an XSX digital SKU.. At least with that it's not a lottery of whats missing or not on every title. Stop the developers grumbling too. And it also feels future proof to consumers. Certainly would be sold out right now. Maybe that's what the masses wanted. A cheaper XSX.

Well it's not selling here or in Europe. So guess the 'masses' here are voting with their wallets.

Even Jim Ryan, suggested that people want a future proof console. Since the purchase is going to last them years.
*sigh* OK I have some questions for you. In what ways is the X1X better than the XSS? Does it load games faster? Does it have more games running at 60fps or more? Does it support raytracing? Is it going to get the same level of support as the XSS as this generation proceeds? Can it run the Medium AT ALL? More importantly why are you comparing it to the XSS when the XSS is the upgrade to the Xbox ONE. Even taking your comparison the XSS beats the X1X in every way but running games at 30 fps at 4k. You seem to forget this but the XSS is not designed to run games at 4k so X1X doing it is hardly a victory.

Your comments about why the games on the XSS don't run at ONLY a lower resolution(arbitrary metric by the way) has to do with a) some developers won't take the time to optimize the software on the XSS. b) the XSS and XSX for that matter aren't utilizing the new graphical pipeline current generation consoles use. When that happens it will open up more options for development but in the end it will always come down to what a dev puts into it. See MS efforts to see what the XSS can really do. Gears 5 and Forza are two early examples.

I also have to address this idea that MS should have just released a discless XSX. The XSX soc is larger and more prone to failure (lower yields) than the XSS. That means MS would be able to produce fewer XSXs overall. In addition it would cost more meaning that it would not be the impulse buy console they wanted it to be. There are plenty of anecdotal stories of people snagging XSS because they couldn't find more expensive devices. Sales that would not have happened with a discless XSX.

In addition retailers are also seeing more units move when the price is lowered something again a more expensive XSX would be unlikely to do. The XSS is perfect for the audience it is intended for. It has excellent price for performance and is an outstanding value especially when you toss in Game pass. I don't see too many people get upset with Nvidia when they made GPUs less powerful than the 3090; the XSS is the same concept. Similar experiences for a lower price of entry. This is especially true since the Xbox platform will have all its games on PC. It isn't a complicated concept.

e&e

Banned
Eventually, yes. But not in the first few months after the console launches.
Are you obtuse? NO ONE expects any manufacturer to drop their multimillion selling console in the “first few months”. Did you read the thread title on how long they will be making games for PS4?

Enjay

Banned
Insomniac already confirmed there was no PS4 port in development while they were working on Ratchet, highly doubt Sony's gonna make them work on a PS4 port AFTER the game comes out on PS5. But for games like Spider-Man 2, it's most likely cross-gen too.
I love how ppl act like no one has ever given bad info or even outright lied in this industry before.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
State of Decay 3, Hellblade 2, Fable, Forza Motorsport and Everwild are all current gen only. They were all confirmed to be when they were shown at the showcase last July as they all said Xbox Series X and PC. If they were cross-gen, unlike Sony who keeps hiding the games that are cross-gen, Microsoft would have made sure it was listed. Other games like Indiana Jones and The Elder Scrolls VI will be current gen only as well because they're past the two years of cross-gen for Xbox.

The main difference is that in time, Xbox One will be able to play Series X games via Cloud Streaming so while it's not Native, you could basically play each exclusive for a $15 monthly rental on Xbox One when the time comes.

Halo Infinite, Wolfenstein III, Forza Horizon 5 and maybe Starfield (I think it's current gen only but can go either way) will all be cross-gen.

Kagey K

Banned
those all xbox games will be crossgen :/

Those are not even confirmed to be next gen only or it will release next year lol

Spencer noted that Microsoft is not dictating any terms or rules for the Xbox platform. Rather, Microsoft is supporting first-party developers to create games as they want. Hence, there may possibly be first-party games being developed exclusively for Xbox Series X right now. Also, Microsoft is not holding back Xbox Series X by forcefully supporting Xbox One.

If a creator comes to us and says ‘No, I really want to focus on next generation’ with their games, we’re completely open to that and we’re very supportive of that. If a creator comes to us and says I have this vision for reaching these customers across different platforms and different generations we’re completely supportive of that.
It is really about our creators having choice and allowing them to build the games that they want to build to reach the audience that they’re looking for and not things that we’re mandating to our creators in terms of what they have to go do. It’s not our rules for our platform it’s more about creators creating the games that they want to go build looking ahead.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

Spencer noted that Microsoft is not dictating any terms or rules for the Xbox platform. Rather, Microsoft is supporting first-party developers to create games as they want. Hence, there may possibly be first-party games being developed exclusively for Xbox Series X right now. Also, Microsoft is not holding back Xbox Series X by forcefully supporting Xbox One.
Which will be the same to Sony as well.

Returnal and Ratchet is PS5 only, and also demon souls (even its a remake).

I would suggest you wait and see rather than "Spencer says", who knows he may BS like jim

Last edited:
Gamers are goldfish confirmed.

Every generation Sony does this. Every generation.

The PS1 was on sale for well over 2000 years. Even Jesus had one.
The PS2 was on sale well in to the life of the PS3.
PS3 games were coming out well in to the life of the PS4.
They're still bring out Vita games.

But nahh. Let's get out hot-off-the-press quips of "buh generations" in to boost the reaction score.
well no...they released ps2 games that were just ps2 games well into the ps3 gen. But they didn't crossover, they were different games entirely. I.E. god of war 2

same with ps3 into ps4 even...

because the core idea is to sell the new console lol cross gen'ing stifles the urgency of needing one. It's as if they care more about software sales right now than...hardware?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
what a comeback this thread has been.

sony's cut-off is 2023?

only games releasing after 2023 will be designed around ps5. 🤷‍♀️
Totally.

At the time of the article last Nov, it's vague enough you don't exactly know what Sony means by 3 more cross gen years. It could be small scale games, key titles, which year? Nobody knew except the launch games that were cross gen. Technically, Sony could had meant Horizon 2 is the last cross gen big name title and the rest are Sack Boy kinds of games.

Now that the beans are spilled and games are 2022, it's a bigger net than we thought as Ragnarok and GT7 are part of it. It shows Sony is committed to even the big games for years for PS4.

What we dont know is what comes in 2023.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
And like the Sony crowd has correctly said TF aren't everything. After all the XSS has more 120fps games than more expensive consoles with more TF.

How many times do you ignore that there are PCs with lower specs than XSS yet you keep on pushing the XSS is the weakest platform in existence. On top of that the guy from ID you like to quote got Doom running on the Switch. Yet for some reason future ID games won't be able to run on the XSS. It's ridiculous.
Why would you bring another console into it? And it doesn't even prove whatever point you're trying to make. Doom on the Switch, can run below 540p. At times it's a blurry mess. It's technically compromised in a heavy way, graphics and effects have all been reduced.

Making a Switch Doom game makes a lot of sense, since the install base is HUUUGE. Undoubtedly worth the effort to make the port.

Compromising a XSX version of a game for the XSS, isn't anything like that. It doesn't have the numbers. It doesn't look likes it's selling well in Europe, and the resale market is in a similar way, can pick up one for around £190 now and that's dropping.

Running 120fps at a very blurry sub 600p, on a cross gen game, isn't impressive. You make it out its only achievable on Xbox Series.

When we both know PS5DE for a little more money can run that mode a lot better, that's the cheapest next gen console out of them all, able to run uncompromised next gen games after all.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What they are saying is that they are planning on continuing support for PS4 until 2023.

Meaning that they will continue to develop PS4 versions of at least some of their first-party output until that time.

Basically business as usual apart from the cut-off date being pushed back about a year due to Covid-related disruption.

Top Bottom