• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 titles submitted for certification after July 13 must be PS5 compatible

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Boost mode was explicitly mentioned in the "Road to PS5" presentation. They could not have been clearer.
(Video below, bookmarked at the 28 minutes mark).

No.. he explicitly stated that PS4 games run at boosted frequencies.

There is no mention of them running at non-boosted frequncies.

Alternatively.. you could have read my extensive posts in this thread.

Could not have been clearer? How about "PS4 games can run at last-gen frequencies or boosted frequencies"... so difficult!

*fin*

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems like Sony is passing the responsibility of making sure a PS4 title runs correctly on a PS5 to the developers themselves.

This tells me that games prior to this date, Sony has been handling themselves. Anything beyond that date, the developers themselves have to take responsibility with. I am sure the SDK has the tools to facilitate as well.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I quoted what he said. He talked about the "boost this time around". Why mention "boost this time around" if there is no distinction or relation to what the PS4 Pro did?
Whether it's a mode, or just how it works.. the frequencies would be described as boosted.

Re-read my posts or something.. including the one you quoted. I understand why you guys think there is a boost mode vs. non-boost mode (Github leak + PS4 Pro.)

I think it's possible; but it's also possible there is no non-boost mode... and they certainly haven't described one.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

PS5 'Native mode' = PS4/Pro games at 2.23Ghz/3.5GHz Var
PS4 'Legacy mode' = PS4 games at ~800MHz/1.6GHz
PS4 Pro 'Legacy mode' = PS4 Pro games at ~911MHz/2.1GHz
*IN ADDITION*
At launch Mark Cerny is confident the top 100 most played PS4/Pro games will run at PS5 'Native' boost mode.

Fin.

Hopefully we get ultimate confirmation on/around the 4th!

As Cerny said and that article says, it's:
-Old PS4 titles: Sony tests to certificate it works in PS5 BC mode, if there are issues contact the devs of this game to suggest them to fix it. If needs fixes and the dev doesn't fix them, the game is not supported by PS5 BC.
-New PS4 titles, Dev tests and after thats Sony tests to certificate. Dev must fix the issues to publish the game

Sony expects to have over 4000 PS4 games being supported by PS5 BC, which means almost all the PS4 catalog, which has over 4000 games. Maybe some dev who released a game while ago may not be able to fix it because the company shut down, or don't work with that publisher anymore, or they don't have the code anymore, or are too busy with other projects, or they think it isn't profitable to spend a budget to fix this.

Looking at how BC did work at 360, or how it did work in One, we'll have to see how it did works on Series X when released and what compatibility list has. Because remember that for the streaming of the other day they were talking about gameplay again and again, and saying stuff like there was going to be a step like from 2D to 3D and things like that.

As of now listening the Series X BC PR talk sounds great, but let's see what they actually deliver in the final product.

They are not a rumor. Sony said that they are testing every single PS4 game to see if it works on PS5, because like in all BC there are always some games that cause issues if not tweaked. Sony aims to have over 4000 games, which means basically almost every single PS4 game in the market to run on PS5. For different reasons, some devs may need time to tweak/fix their games. so some of them may be end in BC but not at launch.

Cerny said that out of these thousands of games that are being tested to run well on PS5, just before his conference they already tested the 100 most played PS4 games and most of them were already ready to run on PS5 at launch. Then Sony clarified that these 100 games weren't only the PS4 ones ready to run on PS5 at launch, that they were going to have a ton more with the idea of having mostly all the PS4 catalog runngin on PS5.
That's not what the PS blog says, that for Boost mode.
Whether it's a mode, or just how it works.. the frequencies would be described as boosted.

Re-read my posts or something.. including the one you quoted. I understand why you guys think there is a boost mode vs. non-boost mode (Github leak + PS4 Pro.)

I think it's possible; but it's also possible there is no non-boost mode... and they certainly haven't described one.
Even Xbox tweeted about Xbox not having to downclock speeds to support BC, Sony has that and it's called PS4 legacy mode on the ps5.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes by throwing the responsibility to games developers. I mean thats fair and all, but clearly Sony dont care / allocate as much resources on BC. 🤷‍♀️

Again, more jumping to conclusions ;). This is likely more than simple BC, but as other reminded you before they also give developers more resources by not forcing them into a virtualisation layer which, although it is very fast, does still impose a performance tax. So it is a balance.

Right now, without developers doing anything, they got PS4 BC in PS4 Pro, so something similar can be expected, but those titles did not see any form of boost right away which they eventually fixed. What they are asking is likely something that MS is asking too: you are making a new title, just do some small bits of due diligence so that PS5 BC engine can do its job better. Not sure why you are trying to make a storm in a teacup here.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
-Old PS4 titles: Sony tests to certificate it works in PS5 BC mode, if there are issues contact the devs of this game to suggest them to fix it. If needs fixes and the dev doesn't fix them, the game is not supported by PS5 BC.
-New PS4 titles, Dev tests and after thats Sony tests to certificate. Dev must fix the issues to publish the game

Sony expects to have over 4000 PS4 games being supported by PS5 BC, which means almost all the PS4 catalog, which has over 4000 games. Maybe some dev who released a game while ago may not be able to fix it because the company shut down, or don't work with that publisher anymore, or they don't have the code anymore, or are too busy with other projects, or they think it isn't profitable to spend a budget to fix this.

Looking at how BC did work at 360, or how it did work in One, we'll have to see how it did works on Series X when released and what compatibility list has. Because remember that for the streaming of the other day they were talking about gameplay again and again, and saying stuff like there was going to be a step like from 2D to 3D and things like that.

As of now listening the Series X BC PR talk sounds great, but let's see what they actually deliver in the final product.

They are not a rumor. Sony said that they are testing every single PS4 game to see if it works on PS5, because like in all BC there are always some games that cause issues if not tweaked. Sony aims to have over 4000 games, which means basically almost every single PS4 game in the market to run on PS5. For different reasons, some devs may need time to tweak/fix their games. so some of them may be end in BC but not at launch.

Cerny said that out of these thousands of games that are being tested to run well on PS5, just before his conference they already tested the 100 most played PS4 games and most of them were already ready to run on PS5 at launch. Then Sony clarified that these 100 games weren't only the PS4 ones ready to run on PS5 at launch, that they were going to have a ton more with the idea of having mostly all the PS4 catalog runngin on PS5.

Well said. I expect XSX to support nearly all titles that came out on Xbox One and SOME of them to be enhanced meaningfully. Which is the same scenario, or really close to it, to what Sony is working on.

longdi

Banned
Again, more jumping to conclusions ;). This is likely more than simple BC, but as other reminded you before they also give developers more resources by not forcing them into a virtualisation layer which, although it is very fast, does still impose a performance tax. So it is a balance.

Right now, without developers doing anything, they got PS4 BC in PS4 Pro, so something similar can be expected, but those titles did not see any form of boost right away which they eventually fixed. What they are asking is likely something that MS is asking too: you are making a new title, just do some small bits of due diligence so that PS5 BC engine can do its job better. Not sure why you are trying to make a storm in a teacup here.

I was just saying this is just for BC and not something like smart delivery, as some still thinking this is something special or more focus on BC generations. Im fine with either approach but we can see who is putting more resources into BC.

ZehDon

Gold Member
No, it means, it must run on PS5 catering to PS5 spec. They cant just do a PS4 game that runs on PS5 via BC, they have to take advantage of PS5 hardware for the game.....
So my PS4 game that I want to make for a PS4 must take full advantage of the PS5? Then... it's a PS5 game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, I think you've misunderstood - the original post you quoted is correct. The games must only be compatible, which is to say, work as a part of their normal operation. This is Sony offloading the compatibility work on to developers who continue to developer for PS4 to ensure they don't have to keep expanding their internal backwards compatibility program themselves. It makes sense from a company who thinks backwards compatibility isn't used... but, in my opinion, it defeats the purpose of a platform-level backwards compatibility program. The benefit of Microsoft's approach is that, well, Microsoft is doing it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was just saying this is just for BC and not something like smart delivery, as some still thinking this is something special or more focus on BC generations. Im fine with either approach but we can see who is putting more resources into BC.

Smart Delivery seems like a marketing name for what we already had on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (Sony also talked about improvements to how games are packaged and delivered to save on space and optimise to the target HW, there are some nice patents about this and BC too btw).

Surprised if it is even a fraction of what Apple does with App Thinning and Bitcode.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I’m probably not going to play TLoU 2 on the PS5 because I would have likely finished it by then but having it running at 4k60 on PS5 would be nice.

longdi

Banned
Smart Delivery seems like a marketing name for what we already had on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (Sony also talked about improvements to how games are packaged and delivered to save on space and optimise to the target HW, there are some nice patents about this and BC too btw).

Surprised if it is even a fraction of what Apple does with App Thinning and Bitcode.

Nah, smart delivery sounds like it will open a gap in BC then what is available currently.
It is not a marketing name, but they needed a name nonetheless to highlight this gap.

MS has invested big in BC, lets see when cyberpunk sets the early standards. :messenger_bicep:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So my PS4 game that I want to make for a PS4 must take full advantage of the PS5? Then... it's a PS5 game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, I think you've misunderstood - the original post you quoted is correct. The games must only be compatible, which is to say, work as a part of their normal operation. This is Sony offloading the compatibility work on to developers who continue to developer for PS4 to ensure they don't have to keep expanding their internal backwards compatibility program themselves. It makes sense from a company who thinks backwards compatibility isn't used... but, in my opinion, it defeats the purpose of a platform-level backwards compatibility program. The benefit of Microsoft's approach is that, well, Microsoft is doing it.

I disagree, but sure the number of BC games supported as is and the number of BC games meaningfully enhanced will be interesting to watch for sure.

MS’s approach asks all developers to pay a performance tax for the new titles they ship, albeit minor it is still there for virtualisation of the HW while Sony historically always allowed more direct HW access which benefits new titles, but makes BC more expensive.

To my knowledge PS4 Pro BC of PS4 titles did not come to a heavy burden to developers if any at all. Sony did make effort to test a requested generic boost mode and system wide supersampling feature, which may have gotten some developers involved too. I suspect this TRC requirement, which only applies to titles submitted for certification past a certain date this year, ignores how many thousand games do not have to do this and why? Because this TRC requirement is not for plain BC support.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah, smart delivery sounds like it will open a gap in BC

I am aware of what it sounds and how people can get excited by it and start building their ideas latching onto it. That is good marketing, make people imply more than what you promised and will deliver.

Smart Delivery == cross buy essentially. with the game module built for your console is the one delivered not a giant package. Look into App Thinning and Bitcode:

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I am aware of what it sounds and how people can get excited by it and start building their ideas latching onto it. That is good marketing, make people imply more than what you promised and will deliver.

If cyberpunk dont deliver what smart delivery promises, sure be disappointed, same thing with the/any advantages of 'fast new i/o' gameplay. 🤷‍♀️

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If cyberpunk dont deliver what smart delivery promises, sure be disappointed, same thing with the/any advantages of 'fast new i/o' gameplay. 🤷‍♀️

Why would I be disappointed? As I was saying Smart Delivery == cross buy essentially, but with the ability to split and download only some game modules (like you can do on PS4 since launch and start the game earlier) and having the game modules built for your console (so the XSX version of Cyberpunk instead of the emulated Xbox One X version) is the one delivered not a giant package. What is not cool about that?
Smart Delivery sounds similar also to how

Look at copy and paste and multitasking which iOS got to them after years... the point of it was how they were fine tuned for the device not being first at offering the feature anyways.

Look into App Thinning and Bitcode:

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Nah, smart delivery sounds like it will open a gap in BC then what is available currently.
It is not a marketing name, but they needed a name nonetheless to highlight this gap.

MS has invested big in BC, lets see when cyberpunk sets the early standards. :messenger_bicep:

Smart Delivery absolutely is a silly marketing name, I mean, there's nothing to it: check library in licenses, if XSX version of XBONE game exists, download XSX version. There's nothing to it technology wise, the challenge was to get the publishers to sign up for it.

geordiemp

I dont get this thread, its clear that currently all Ps4 and Xb1 games have to be tested by Sony or MS for backward compatability. Both companies have departments who do this.

From July Sony is telling developers to also check BC on ps4 games to save themselves some work when game is submitted for approval. Its not that complicated.

Also ps4 pro and XB1x already get the patches and bits they need to run enghanced over base consoles and been doing it for years now.

Call it smart delivery if you want, but what is there to discuss ? Really ?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Why would I be disappointed? As I was saying Smart Delivery == cross buy essentially, but with the ability to split and download only some game modules (like you can do on PS4 since launch and start the game earlier) and having the game modules built for your console (so the XSX version of Cyberpunk instead of the emulated Xbox One X version) is the one delivered not a giant package. What is not cool about that?
Smart Delivery sounds similar also to how

Look at copy and paste and multitasking which iOS got to them after years... the point of it was how they were fine tuned for the device not being first at offering the feature anyways.

Look into App Thinning and Bitcode:

Because smart delivery is a certification that Series X version will be enhanced instead of having to buy the enhanced Series X version.

While we can break down the backend as some simple cross buying, but it seems MS wants to take that up a notch. We shall see. :messenger_bicep:

Azurro

Banned
Because smart delivery is a certification that Series X version will be enhanced instead of having to buy the enhanced Series X version.

While we can break down the backend as some simple cross buying, but it seems MS wants to take that up a notch. We shall see. :messenger_bicep:

What? No, that's not what that means in the least. It is extremely simple, if a title is cross gen, you download the next gen version if you have the license for a previous gen version.

That's it, there's nothing fancy going on. It's a marketing term, there's nothing that Microsoft is "taking up a notch", except giving it a cool marketing term.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I dont get this thread, its clear that currently all Ps4 and Xb1 games have to be tested by Sony or MS for backward compatability. Both companies have departments who do this.

From July Sony is telling developers to also check BC on ps4 games to save themselves some work when game is submitted for approval. Its not that complicated.

Also ps4 pro and XB1x already get the patches and bits they need to run enghanced over base consoles and been doing it for years now.

Call it smart delivery if you want, but what is there to discuss ? Really ?

Sony is requiring developers to put in the work while MS has a solution that they can take care of without any developer input. , and it stands to reason to believe we won’t get some games from PS4 due to developers not wanting to put in the time.

Beyond that, Ms is doing auto HDR, and putting in work to double the FPS cap on some games as well as Anisotropic Filtering at 16x and increased resolutoon. It’s night and day, even if you don’t consider the ever expanding catalog of gen 6 and 7 games.

longdi

Banned
What? No, that's not what that means in the least. It is extremely simple, if a title is cross gen, you download the next gen version if you have the license for a previous gen version.

That's it, there's nothing fancy going on. It's a marketing term, there's nothing that Microsoft is "taking up a notch", except giving it a cool marketing term.

Yes MS only comes up with marketing terms and no research greese needed, like 'Veeelocity'. :messenger_weary:
Anyway with Smart delivery, at least we are guarantee to run games like the below 'PS4' version instead of having to rebuy it. :messenger_bicep:
Will Sony BC mentioned here, runs cross gen games like 'PS3' or 'PS4' below.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes MS only comes up with marketing terms and no research greese needed, like 'Veeelocity'. :messenger_weary:
Anyway with Smart delivery, at least we are guarantee to run games like the below 'PS4' version instead of having to rebuy it. :messenger_bicep:
Will Sony BC mentioned here, runs cross gen games like 'PS3' or 'PS4' below.

It is like cross buy and depending on what marketing deals they do you may get the game in optimised XSX form or not. Not sure why you are then stitching in other semi related pieces onto it now. I get you are excited, but...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony is requiring developers to put in the work while MS has a solution that they can take care of without any developer input. , and it stands to reason to believe we won’t get some games from PS4 due to developers not wanting to put in the time.

Beyond that, Ms is doing auto HDR, and putting in work to double the FPS cap on some games as well as Anisotropic Filtering at 16x and increased resolutoon. It’s night and day, even if you don’t consider the ever expanding catalog of gen 6 and 7 games.

Some games get enhanced and most games will be supported. This is true for both consoles. MS will enhance a portion of those games without requiring developers work yes, but it is far from saying that those games will not run.

I expect titles with dynamic resolution and variable unlocked framerate to be similarly enhanced for both. Still yes, MS’s solution does have its pluses, what did you think they asked developers to pay a virtualisation performance tax for nothing? No, of course not :).

93xfan

Banned
Some games get enhanced and most games will be supported. This is true for both consoles. MS will enhance a portion of those games without requiring developers work yes, but it is far from saying that those games will not run.

I expect titles with dynamic resolution and variable unlocked framerate to be similarly enhanced for both. Still yes, MS’s solution does have its pluses, what did you think they asked developers to pay a virtualisation performance tax for nothing? No, of course not :).

just curious, do we know how much of a performance cost it is? genuinely curious..

and yes, even Sony has stated they expect most games to run, but some will rely on the developers to patch them. That does mean that there will be games missing. Hopefully not many.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
just curious, do we know how much of a performance cost it is? genuinely curious..

and yes, even Sony has stated they expect most games to run, but some will rely on the developers to patch them. That does mean that there will be games missing. Hopefully not many.

Yes, I suspect though that the patching will be limited and hidden in some performance update way way before PS5 ships.

I will look into some data back when Xbox One was being discussed, but I remember it was less than 5% of CPU time and the CPU has a nice clock speed advantage over PS4 so this was not much of a problem (need to find the hard number on this sorry) and two interrupts per frame on the GPU side: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

You do gain a lot for that pain though, PS3 was kind of going in that direction, but then veered off and it was doing it more for security and OtherOS purposes (yeah, ironic...) than BC and forward compatibility.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
It is like cross buy and depending on what marketing deals they do you may get the game in optimised XSX form or not. Not sure why you are then stitching in other semi related pieces onto it now. I get you are excited, but...
because MS transparent pro-consumer approach under Phil is exciting. Add to the long term gamepass and xcloud possibilites, we are breaking free from console traditions. :messenger_bicep:
Oh, and the courage to build most performant hardware helps. Im still shocked at the big APU choices, 2 gen in a row.

Yes, I suspect though that the patching will be limited and hidden in some performance update way way before PS5 ships.

I will look into some data back when Xbox One was being discussed, but I remember it was less than 5% of CPU time and the CPU has a nice clock speed advantage over PS4 so this was not much of a problem (need to find the hard number on this sorry) and two interrupts per frame on the GPU side: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

You do gain a lot for that pain though, PS3 was kind of going in that direction, but then veered off and it was doing it more for security and OtherOS purposes (yeah, ironic...) than BC and forward compatibility.

5% then, probably lesser soon, and lesser as each new X hardware comes.
A good trade-off for generations of games living in the ecosystem. Skywalker will be proud.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
5% then, probably lesser soon, and lesser as each new X hardware comes.
A good trade-off for generations of games living in the ecosystem.

We shall see, if PS5 delivers something similar in terms of titles without needing to pay that tax (boost != generation of titles living in... and that approach got some titles, you make it sound like 90% of Xbox and Xbox 360 titles are supported on Xbox One, let alone being enhanced, which is not accurate).

Sure, over time if the tax really went down by a lot I see Sony copying this approach too, but you make one assumption about single threaded performance going up for this virtualisation tax to fall. Unfortunately, this is not what is happening at the rate you seem to be assuming. Scaling, CPU single threaded performance, is getting worse and worse in terms of diminishing returns.

thelastword

Banned

Never said full advantage, not like how first parties would take advantage of all the hardware. I said take advantage, meaning that these games would be PS4 rooted games, maybe with some high and some medium settings on that console at 30fps. PS5 will be able to max out such games relative to settings, perhaps double framerates and get the resolution to 4k, utilizing quicker loadtimes would be another area where they would utilize the PS5, and of course there would be less pop-in as well......This is what Sony meant by making games PS5 compatible after the said date. The hardware is imminent and devs should be transitioning to it anyway....

Similar to how it worked on PRO and even XBONEX. Doesn't mean the games will be ground up PS5 games if they were primarily PS4 based, but they would have to leverage the extra power as much as they can. Similar to how most Series X games will feature XBOX ONE games scaled up to that hardware...….Ground up games is what will utilize most of the PS5's power, but there is nothing wrong with playing a game that was in development from 3 years ago, which will not release before July 13th at much higher settings, resolutions and framerates.

Interesting point of view you have there.
MS talking about BC = PR talk even if they've done BC this gen already
Cerny hype and confusion PS5 reveal = let's just take his word for it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Interesting point of view you have there.
MS talking about BC = PR talk even if they've done BC this gen already
Cerny hype and confusion PS5 reveal = let's just take his word for it.

Doing PR talk does not mean saying they are lying. Saying that sometimes BC is overhyped as if they had ALL / 90% of previous generations BC is also not calling them liars (they themselves are saying only some titles will receive meaningful automatic BC boosts), ignoring Sony’s BC approach with PS2, PSP, PS3 (launch), PS Vita, and PS4 Pro is also disingenuous and a bit dishonest if you want to go there.

longdi

Banned
We shall see, if PS5 delivers something similar in terms of titles without needing to pay that tax (boost != generation of titles living in... and that approach got some titles, you make it sound like 90% of Xbox and Xbox 360 titles are supported on Xbox One, let alone being enhanced, which is not accurate).

Sure, over time if the tax really went down by a lot I see Sony copying this approach too, but you make one assumption about single threaded performance going up for this virtualisation tax to fall. Unfortunately, this is not what is happening at the rate you seem to be assuming. Scaling, CPU single threaded performance, is getting worse and worse in terms of diminishing returns.

I wont doubt the 2nd most valuable company in the world, it grew to that size because of their new software/cloud approach. And seeing interviews of recent, MS is putting a lot of expertises being Xbox software stack. Now if Sony managed to acheive as good without 'tax', i will lol.

Virtualisation will get cheaper with every new Xbox, no doubt, i dont see any ties with cpu single threaded diminishing returns.

PS5 'Native mode' = PS4/Pro games at 2.23Ghz/3.5GHz Var
PS4 'Legacy mode' = PS4 games at ~800MHz/1.6GHz
PS4 Pro 'Legacy mode' = PS4 Pro games at ~911MHz/2.1GHz
*IN ADDITION*
At launch Mark Cerny is confident the top 100 most played PS4/Pro games will run at PS5 'Native' boost mode.

Fin.

Hopefully we get ultimate confirmation on/around the 4th!

come on you know fan boys want everyone to know that ps5 back compatibility is this barely functioning mess that might have 10 functioning games at launch.

Meanwhile all xbox1 games are going to be 4k and 120fps on series x.

ZywyPL

Banned
because MS transparent pro-consumer approach under Phil is exciting. Add to the long term gamepass and xcloud possibilites, we are breaking free from console traditions. :messenger_bicep:
Oh, and the courage to build most performant hardware helps. Im still shocked at the big APU choices, 2 gen in a row.

MS is just going different route just like Nintendo, they figured out what works best for them, what brings more profit. Which is obviously a strange concept for most people who don't run their own businesses.

geordiemp

No, MS said higher frame rates on select games, select

Its better for both consoles if current ps4 and xb1 games are made without limitations so are made as SELECT (MS wording). Its not hard to follow really.

longdi

Banned
:messenger_spock: MS is building their ecosystem from ground up to support generations ahead. This flower will take time to blossom.

Sony is sticking to their old accepted methods. The bc wasn't their focus if not for MS effort. As seen in topic, BC is on developers hand after that cutoff date to ensure new games work on PS5.

Yes approach is different. But it seems MS is more gamers friendly?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wont doubt the 2nd most valuable company in the world, it grew to that size because of their new software/cloud approach.
Now this is a novel way to bring back Xbox One propaganda (“ We invented DirectX... di not doubt us”).
Well at least it would be an astonishment commitment to BC: XSX marketing has BC support for even Xbox One propaganda ;).

And seeing interviews of recent, MS is putting a lot of expertises being Xbox software stack. Now if Sony managed to acheive as good without 'tax', i will lol.

Beyond “OMG I am so hyped, lol Sony” (hint: they already achieved that approach with PS4 Pro), I am not seeing an actual point.

Virtualisation will get cheaper with every new Xbox, no doubt, i dont see any ties with cpu single threaded diminishing returns.
Virtualisation is a per CPU hit too, unless you can show me IPC / per core efficiency gains not slowing down as time goes by then why do you think this “tax” will become negligible that fast?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As seen in topic, BC is on developers hand after that cutoff date to ensure new games work on PS5.

You are trying to stir up a controversy that is not there. This is likely for some limited enhancements support and do you have an idea of how many PS4 titles are out there now already? Is the problem really the titles after that cutoff date :rolleyes:? C’mon now...

:messenger_spock: MS is building their ecosystem from ground up to support generations ahead. This flower will take time to blossom.

Sony is sticking to their old accepted methods. The bc wasn't their focus if not for MS effort. As seen in topic, BC is on developers hand after that cutoff date to ensure new games work on PS5.

Yes approach is different. But it seems MS is more gamers friendly?

You're acting like BC is some new concept to Sony.

Vognerful

So, this does mean some games may not work on ps5 on the get go. It is good that Sony is making sure that new games after July will work automatically on ps5 without any issue.

but I think people are reading to much into it. Until now, we are still waiting for them to show us some implementation of their boost legacy mode. But I still most games that will work on ps5 from ps4 will work as backward compatible.

longdi

Banned
You are trying to stir up a controversy that is not there. This is likely for some limited enhancements support and do you have an idea of how many PS4 titles are out there now already? Is the problem really the titles after that cutoff date :rolleyes:? C’mon now...
Im not stirring, im just saying Sony wants developers to make sure their games work after that cutoff date. Before that date, developers have no obligation to make their games work on PS5, and it is down to Sony to test the backlog.
Seems clear cut. 🤷‍♀️

You're acting like BC is some new concept to Sony.
Not new, but chose to ignore until their competitors revive and offer it

Im not stirring, im just saying Sony wants developers to make sure their games work after that cutoff date. Before that date, developers have no obligation to make their games work on PS5, and it is down to Sony to test the backlog.
Seems clear cut. 🤷‍♀️

Not new, but chose to ignore until their competitors revive and offer it

Then what are you talking about "old accepted method" ?

Their old accepted method is embracing backwards compatibility

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Im not stirring, im just saying Sony wants developers to make sure their games work after that cutoff date.
Not really - it's a new TRC item, so the responsibility is 100% on Sony CERT testing what gets through or not. Which is how consoles always worked, including Microsoft or Nintendo ones when you have multiple compatible hardware SKUs out there. Noone is insane enough to 'cross their fingers and hope it'll just work' after testing one SKU.

To stay with Sony - this has been a standard practice for the past 20 years - including the full BC transitions(the 99.99% compatible ones). Every Gen/Major revision cross-compatibility checks were added to the TRC close to launch (PS1->PS2, PS2->PS2 7XXX, PS2->PS3, PS4->PS4Pro etc.).

Last edited:
Top Bottom