• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 titles submitted for certification after July 13 must be PS5 compatible

On Demand

Banned
what? it reads like BC and nothing like smart delivery

Smart delivery gives you access to the SX version of games that are optimized. People assumed PS4 games on PS5 wouldn't use PS5 hardware and we would have to pay for any upgrade. Which is silly since Sony already set the standard with PS4 pro.

Regardless of the semantics of names and smart delivery, the main point is PS5 will take advantage of all new PS4 games starting July. Backwards compatibility is a separate thing that's still being worked on. This isn't about Sony being lazy and telling developers to make their games BC for them. It's about requiring compatibility of new games from now on.

Which part is giving you the impression that they're talking about creating separate PS5 versions of these games?

I never said separate. PS5 version means PS4 titles using PS5 hardware. Are you not familiar with how this worked on PS4 pro?

CobraXT

Banned
The issue with Backwards Compatability in modern consoles has always been one of edge cases and unforseen issues.

Console games are designed to run on specialized hardware made for gaming and not this NEW piece of specialized piece of hardware for gaming.

Xbox one games are not designed that way .. MS use virtualization technology to run games .. this means they can change the hardware without
breaking the BC ..

Last edited:

yurinka

It just mean they need to test the game on PS5 before ship.

In simple terms:

+ Old PS4 titles: Sony will test themselves.
+ New PS4 titles: Devs needs to tests before ship the game.
As Cerny said and that article says, it's:
-Old PS4 titles: Sony tests to certificate it works in PS5 BC mode, if there are issues contact the devs of this game to suggest them to fix it. If needs fixes and the dev doesn't fix them, the game is not supported by PS5 BC.
-New PS4 titles, Dev tests and after thats Sony tests to certificate. Dev must fix the issues to publish the game

Sony expects to have over 4000 PS4 games being supported by PS5 BC, which means almost all the PS4 catalog, which has over 4000 games. Maybe some dev who released a game while ago may not be able to fix it because the company shut down, or don't work with that publisher anymore, or they don't have the code anymore, or are too busy with other projects, or they think it isn't profitable to spend a budget to fix this.

Damn, the XSX is potentially launching with a much larger library then.
Looking at how BC did work at 360, or how it did work in One, we'll have to see how it did works on Series X when released and what compatibility list has. Because remember that for the streaming of the other day they were talking about gameplay again and again, and saying stuff like there was going to be a step like from 2D to 3D and things like that.

As of now listening the Series X BC PR talk sounds great, but let's see what they actually deliver in the final product.

so does this mean the rumours of 100 back combat games at launch could be true? I mean why if a game works on PS4 should it not work on PS5 ?
They are not a rumor. Sony said that they are testing every single PS4 game to see if it works on PS5, because like in all BC there are always some games that cause issues if not tweaked. Sony aims to have over 4000 games, which means basically almost every single PS4 game in the market to run on PS5. For different reasons, some devs may need time to tweak/fix their games. so some of them may be end in BC but not at launch.

Cerny said that out of these thousands of games that are being tested to run well on PS5, just before his conference they already tested the 100 most played PS4 games and most of them were already ready to run on PS5 at launch. Then Sony clarified that these 100 games weren't only the PS4 ones ready to run on PS5 at launch, that they were going to have a ton more with the idea of having mostly all the PS4 catalog runngin on PS5.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No.

I don’t understand how a simple process that already exists in the current generation can be misunderstood.
A PS4 game running on PS5 is backwards comptability.

That's.. like.. literally..what the word means.

They are requiring games support BC if your game is released after July, and that may require patching. Even if it's a boost mode game, it's still BC.. as that same game disk works on PS4.

Last edited:

They are requiring games support BC if your game is released after July, and that may require patching. Even if it's a boost mode game, it's still BC.. as that same game disk works on PS4.

He's talking about native support. Just like when PS4 games that get patched to natively support PS4 Pro hardware

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

He's talking about native support. Just like when PS4 games that get patched to natively support PS4 Pro hardware

That's

Still

Backwards

Compatability

(aside from the fact he's inventing words not stated in this news)

edit: Nevermind, thought you meant "PS5 speeds"... Native mode is not "compatability" it's a new version of the game.. there is no way Sony is requiring that.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

People are still conflating the two as if Sony is asking developers for help and requiring more work.

While it may mean the same thing overall, that’s not what Sony is asking developers to do. Sony is still doing BC themselves of older games. This certification is for new games working on PS5 with enhancements.

Not backwards compatibility specifically. That’s Sony’s job.

Last edited:
I never said separate. PS5 version means PS4 titles using PS5 hardware. Are you not familiar with how this worked on PS4 pro?

I don't own a pro, so never tried it first hand. But my understanding was it played all PS4 games out of the box, and the games only needed to be updated if they wanted to take advantage of the pro's extra power and features? Where as this seems to be Sony asking developers to ensure that the game works on PS5, the same way it does on PS4.

"PlayStation 4 titles are deemed compatible with PlayStation 5 only if its submitted code runs without issue on the hardware and provides the same features on PlayStation 5 as it does on PlayStation 4"

It sounded like you were suggesting sesperate versions because you were comparing it to Xbox's smart delivery, which seems to be more about linking ownership between sesperate Xbox One and Xbox SX versions of games.

IntentionalPun

People are still conflating the two as if Sony is asking developers for help and requiring more work.

While it may mean the same thing overall, that’s not what Sony is asking developers to do. Sony is still doing BC themselves of older games. This certification is for new games working on PS5 with enhancements.

Cerny outright stated the original developers of games will have to fix BC up...

Which... makes perfect sense. Sony isn't using a virtualization layer for BC; they can't fix other people's games, they do not have the source code.

Soo.. making a PS4 game.. compatible with... PS5..

Is what type of compatibility?

lol

It's literally what Cerny described when discussing backwards compatibility on PS5.

What part of native support are you not grasping?

When you put your Xbox One disk of Cyberpunk in your Series X, and it downloads the patch for native support via 'Smart Delivery', is that still backwards compatibility to you?

Cerny wasn't talking about native support in his presentation 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

What part of native support are you not grasping?

When you put your Xbox One disk of Cyberpunk in your Series X, and it downloads the patch for native support, is that still backwards compatibility to you?

Cerny wasn't talking about native support in his presentation 🤦‍♂️

You literally think Sony is going to require all PS4 games have "native support" for PS5, telling devs this only 4-6 months before the console is coming out?

Like.. it's may.. and they are going to say "Oh hey BTW all you devs with PS4 games coming out have to make a native PS5 version or we won't certify the game.."

"Oh and hey BTW even if your game came out a long time ago if you release a PATCH for the game you also have to make a native PS5 version of the game"

LOL you guys are fucking smoking crack.

BC on PS5 requires patching for some games.. Cerny literally said that in his presentation.

I'll admit I didn't get initialy what you meant by "native support" because the idea of Sony making that a requirement is absolute fucking nonsense.

Last edited:
You literally think Sony is going to require all PS4 games have "native support" for PS5, telling devs this only 4-6 months before the console is coming out?

Like.. it's may.. and they are going to say "Oh hey BTW all you devs with PS4 games coming out have to make a native PS5 version or we won't certify the game.."

"Oh and hey BTW even if your game came out a long time ago if you release a PATCH for the game you also have to make a native PS5 version of the game"

BC on PS5 requires patching for some games.. Cerny literally said that in his presentation.

I'll admit I didn't get initialy what you meant by "native support" because the idea of Sony making that a requirement is absolute fucking nonsense.

That's literally what they did with the PS4 Pro

On Demand

Banned
I don't own a pro, so never tried it first hand. But my understanding was it played all PS4 games out of the box, and the games only needed to be updated if they wanted to take advantage of the pro's extra power and features? Where as this seems to be Sony asking developers to ensure that the game works on PS5, the same way it does on PS4.

"PlayStation 4 titles are deemed compatible with PlayStation 5 only if its submitted code runs without issue on the hardware and provides the same features on PlayStation 5 as it does on PlayStation 4"

What Sony is requiring from developers is the same thing they did with PS4 pro. No difference.

It sounded like you were suggesting sesperate versions because you were comparing it to Xbox's smart delivery, which seems to be more about linking ownership between sesperate Xbox One and Xbox SX versions of games.

I used it as an example of something people used as a concern troll that PS5 wouldn't have a similar option, and that you would have to pay for enhancments.

Crossbuy would be PS5's smart delivery.

On Demand

Banned
Cerny outright stated the original developers of games will have to fix BC up...

Which... makes perfect sense. Sony isn't using a virtualization layer for BC; they can't fix other people's games, they do not have the source code.

There not "fixing" anything to work on PS5. They're making PS5 compatibility with enhancments.

people really want to hate and discredit Sony's back compatibility no matter what lol.

They'll have plenty of your ps4 games working on ps5 for launch so there is nothing to worry about. And if you're only buying a next gen console to only play old games... why? Just wait awhile for more next gen games to come out and a lower price.

The ps5 is about to launch there is nothing wrong with sony telling devs that their game needs to run on ps5 fine.

IntentionalPun

There not "fixing" anything to work on PS5. They're making PS5 compatibility with enhancments.
Cerny never mentioned enhancements.. either did the blog post that just described what games would be "playable."

You guys are all assuming there's regular BC and BC with enhancements.. meanwhile all Cerny said was that BC will run with increased performance... not "a mode with increased performance and one without."

There's a really good chance ALL BC runs with the standard PS5 clocks.. hence why patching is potentially required.

Everyone is just assuming there's some not-mentioned mode where the clocks are downclocked and games just work. They did not describe that... they described the instruction sets matching up, and then Cerny described the BC process as requiring patching.

Notice how nowhere in this news from today is there any mention of enhancements.... it's literally just about compatibility.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

Dude that's how it works now with PS4 pro. Every new game from launch required pro support.

prag16

Banned
Cerny never mentioned enhancements.. either did the blog post that just described what games would be "playable."

You guys are all assuming there's regular BC and BC with enhancements.. meanwhile all Cerny said was that BC will run with increased performance... not "a mode with increased performance and one without."

There's a really good chance ALL BC runs with the standard PS5 clocks.. hence why patching is potentially required.

Everyone is just assuming there's some not-mentioned mode where the clocks are downclocked and games just work. They did not describe that... they described the instruction sets matching up, and then Cerny described the BC process as requiring patching.

Notice how nowhere in this news from today is there any mention of enhancements.... it's literally just about compatibility.
What do you mean, they have addressed this already. Have you not seen this?

TPdX8LsKYqaD4GdCCKMcva-650-80.png.webp

IntentionalPun

What do you mean, they have addressed this already. Have you not seen this?

TPdX8LsKYqaD4GdCCKMcva-650-80.png.webp
Did you read the post you quoted or watch the presentation?

He described the INSTRUCTIONS SETS when describing Legacy vs Native mode.. not the clocks or anything else.

Literally described in the very post you just quoted.

yurinka

Backwards compatibility it's like an emulator: not all games run there properly by default, some games need tweaks to be fully supported by BC, which is what Sony provides.

Sony doesn't have the source code of 3rd party games, and doesn't have permission to modify their code. Only the 3rd party publisher/dev who made the game can modify the source code of the game to fix bugs.

When someone makes a game and wants to release it for a console, they send it to Sony's certification, who double checks that the game implemented all the things Sony mandates on a checklist for all the games published on PS. If the game does everything Sony mandates, it can be published.

New PS4 games sent to certification after July 13th will have another check in that list: to work well when running on a PS5 BC.

For PS4 games sent to certification before July 13th, Sony will check if they work well in PS5 BC. If they work, will be supported in PS5 BC. If they have issues, Sony will suggest the publisher/dev who made that game to fix these issues that prevent that game to run properly on PS5BC. Until Sony certificates they fixed these issues that game won't be supported by PS5 BC. The thing is, some devs may not give a fuck of if they game runs on PS5 or not, may consider that these fixes aren't profitable, or maybe that dev or publisher even shut down, or it was a licensed game and can't work with that license anymore.

Sony expects to support in PS5 BC more than 4000 games, almost the full PS4 library, which has over 4000 games. So Sony has made/will do a lot of work testing games, and some devs too. This means that all games that will end on PS5 BC may not be ready at launch. Cerny said that between those who have been already tested for PS5 BC, back when he did the talk all the 100 most played PS4 games were already been tested and almost all of them were going to be ready to work in PS5 BC at launch.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

In the road to PS5 video Cerny had a graph showing

PS5 native
PS4 pro legacy
PS4 legacy

Meaning there is regular BC that just works and there's also PS5 compatibility that uses PS5's native hardware. AKA boost mode. Which Sony is currently testing.

Sony wants developers starting in july to make sure all future games have a PS5 native mode. While strongly suggesting they be enhanced.

Same as they did on PS4 pro.

On Demand

Banned
Backwards compatibility it's like an emulator: not all games run there properly by default, some games need tweaks to be fully supported by BC, which is what Sony provides.

Sony doesn't have the source code of 3rd party games, and doesn't have permission to modify their code. Only the 3rd party publisher/dev who made the game can modify the source code of the game to fix bugs.

When someone makes a game and wants to release it for a console, they send it to Sony's certification, who double checks that the game implemented all the things Sony mandates on a checklist for all the games published on PS. If the game does everything Sony mandates, it can be published.

New PS4 games sent to certification after July 13th will have another check in that list: to work well when running on a PS5 BC.

For PS4 games sent to certification before July 13th, Sony will check if they work well in PS5 BC. If they work, will be supported in PS5 BC. If they have issues, Sony will suggest the publisher/dev who made that game to fix these issues that prevent that game to run properly on PS5BC. Until Sony certificates they fixed these issues that game won't be supported by PS5 BC. The thing is, some devs may not give a fuck of if they game runs on PS5 or not, may consider that these fixes aren't profitable, or maybe that dev or publisher even shut down, or it was a licensed game and can't work with that license anymore.

Sony expects to support in PS5 BC more than 4000 games, almost the full PS4 library, which has over 4000 games. So Sony has made/will do a lot of work testing games, and some devs too. This means that all games that will end on PS5 BC may not be ready at launch. Cerny said that between those who have been already tested for PS5 BC, back when he did the talk all the 100 most played PS4 games were already been tested and almost all of them were going to be ready to work in PS5 BC at launch.

I don't think i disagreed with any of this?

EDIT-

People were making it seem like Sony were forcing developers to help them with BC. When in reality yeah some games will need the developer to check a few things if there are any issues. That's a normal process that i'm sure MS has to do also.

The new requirement is not just for basic backwards compatibility though. Just like PS4 pro they're going to need a minimum PS5 enhancments.

Unless developers crossgen titles will have a separate code and SKU.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Honestly not really news imo. I'd expect everything if not almost everything that's releasing this late in the gen to be forward compatible at the very minimum.

THE:MILKMAN

Did you read the post you quoted or watch the presentation?

He described the INSTRUCTIONS SETS when describing Legacy vs Native mode.. not the clocks or anything else.

Literally described in the very post you just quoted.

Mark Cerny immediately after showing that BC graph and talking about the PS4 modes he says: "Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity"

The bold word being the key here.

IntentionalPun

Mark Cerny immediately after showing that BC graph and talking about the PS4 modes he says: "Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity"

The bold word being the key here.
Yes... exactly, he said those words.

Where did he describe a MODE again?

He literally just outright says that the titles run with boosted frequencies.. never once describing a scenario where they don't. Nor did the PS Blog...

Swear to God I'm not talking about this until the full BC plans are released because it's the same damn conversation every time lol

MAYBE there is a boosted mode vs non boosted mode.. that would take Sony like 1 extra sentence to describe... and maybe they just forgot to or are waiting to describe that.

But .. they haven't.

What they did describe:

- CPU mods that cover the instruction sets
- Games running with boosted frequencies

What they did not ever describe:

- PS4 games running at PS4 frequencies on PS5

(in b4 "but the github leak")

edit: No clue why you think the word "also" is key there... it doesn't really change the sentence at all, and again.... they've never described any scenario where PS4 games run without boosted frequencies on PS5 so that "also" doesn't really mean anything. Something that would be brain dead easy for them to do. Here let me try.., "PS4 games can run at the original PS4 or PS4 Pro clock speeds, and ALSO can run at boosted frequencies." Nothing they said even comes close to that.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

He literally just outright says that the titles run with boosted frequencies.. never once describing a scenario where they don't. Nor did the PS Blog...

He says PS4 and PS4 Pro run in backwards compatibility modes! then goes on to tell us that boosted frequencies ALSO adds complexity. It is said as in addition to what he just previously said.

I mean come on....

IntentionalPun

He says PS4 and PS4 Pro run in backwards compatibility modes! then goes on to tell us that boosted frequencies ALSO adds complexity. It is said as in addition to what he just previously said.

I mean come on....

Dude enjoy your interpretation of what he said.. I really am done with this.

I'm bored.

Eating lunch also made me tired today.

English, how does it work?

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

Swear to God I'm not talking about this until the full BC plans are released because it's the same damn conversation every time lol

MAYBE there is a boosted mode vs non boosted mode.. that would take Sony like 1 extra sentence to describe... and maybe they just forgot to or are waiting to describe that.

But .. they haven't.

What they did describe:

- CPU mods that cover the instruction sets
- Games running with boosted frequencies

What they did not ever describe:

- PS4 games running at PS4 frequencies on PS5

(in b4 "but the github leak")

edit: No clue why you think the word "also" is key there... it doesn't really change the sentence at all, and again.... they've never described any scenario where PS4 games run without boosted frequencies on PS5 so that "also" doesn't really mean anything. Something that would be brain dead easy for them to do. Here let me try.., "PS4 games can run at the original PS4 or PS4 Pro clock speeds, and ALSO can run at boosted frequencies." Nothing they said even comes close to that.

Ps5 native
Ps4 pro legacy
Ps4 legacy

There is no "maybe" . Clearly the games will be supported in 3 different ways with most likely the most popular getting full enhancements. They wouldn't show those three modes if everything was boosted.

But of course narratives can really damage someone's reading comprehension.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ps5 native
Ps4 pro legacy
Ps4 legacy

There is no "maybe" . Clearly the games will be supported in 3 different ways with most likely the most popular getting full enhancements. They wouldn't show those three modes of everything was boosted.
Yes there are 3 different instruction sets.

That is what that entire part of that presentation talked about. Not speeds, instruction sets. No PS4 game is going to work with PS5 insturction sets unless it's re-written to support them.. then it becomes a PS5 game and has a lot less to do with PS4. That's what games like CyberPunk are doing. 2 versions of the same game. PS5 native mode has nothing to do with BC.

People think there is a "boost mode" and a "non-boost mode".. those would be using the old instruction sets though.. otherewise they aren't BC boost modes.

Last edited:

FranXico

Think PS4 Pro, patches and boost mode.

yurinka

Think PS4 Pro, patches and boost mode.
I know they did that demo with Spiderman in the past, but did Sony or Cerny confirm if PS5 BC will have a 'boost' mode to run PS4 or PS4 Pro at higher frequency?

And in a separated question, we know some crossgen games will be sold as a native PS5 game and in a separated SKU as a native PS4 game (that would work on PS4 BC). But did Sony or Cerny announced if are they going to be able to make PS4Pro-like patches to enhace PS4 or PS4 Pro games with better textures and so on for when running on PS5 BC?

prag16

Banned
Yes there are 3 different instruction sets.

That is what that entire part of that presentation talked about. Not speeds, instruction sets. No PS4 game is going to work with PS5 insturction sets unless it's re-written to support them.. then it becomes a PS5 game and has a lot less to do with PS4. That's what games like CyberPunk are doing. 2 versions of the same game. PS5 native mode has nothing to do with BC.

People think there is a "boost mode" and a "non-boost mode".. those would be using the old instruction sets though.. otherewise they aren't BC boost modes.
I think the point is that it sounds like the "legacy modes" should "just work" with little/no actual testing. If that interpretation is wrong, I'm not sure why the need for three different modes if there's no 'boosting' going on in any of them.

I think what this exchange has proven is that Sony has cocked up the messaging royally, if multiple people here who are following this pretty closely are so far apart on interpretation of this BC situation. They need to fix this apparently.

IntentionalPun

I think the point is that it sounds like the "legacy modes" should "just work" with little/no actual testing.

People have assumed this without Sony ever saying as much.. and in fact, Sony/Cerny pretty much contradicted this.

If that interpretation is wrong, I'm not sure why the need for three different modes if there's no 'boosting' going on in any of them.

I think what this exchange has proven is that Sony has cocked up the messaging royally, if multiple people here who are following this pretty closely are so far apart on interpretation of this BC situation. They need to fix this apparently.

They need the modes because without the old instruction sets, or something like a virtualization layer (how MS pulls it off)... they have no backwards compat.

There's 2 possiiblities:

A) Sony has legacy modes that are only matching the instruction sets, games run at boosted frequencies always when BC
B) Sony has legacy modes that match instruction sets, are capable of running at last-gen frequencies OR can run at next-gen frequencies

Option B is being ASSUMED by people without Sony ever explicitly saying anything about games running downclocked to last gen frequencies.

If a game runs in PS5 Native mode... it is a PS5 game.. not a BC game. PS5 Native mode is not really a part of the BC equation here.

Whether a "boosted legacy mode" vs "non-boosted legacy mode" exists is not 100% clear (despite what some people will shout at you.) Sony hasn't in fact mentioned it, and IMO their words DO NOT imply these 2 mods exist, quite the contrary. People are assuming it because of:

1) Github leaked that appeared to show PS5 tech running at last-gen speeds
2) That's basically how PS4 Pro worked

So any time any news comes out about BC games requiring patches people chime in "they mean boosted mode"... this mysterious mode Sony never described as a mode lol

Last edited:

FranXico

Whether a "boosted legacy mode" vs "non-boosted legacy mode" exists is not 100% clear (despite what some people will shout at you.) Sony hasn't in fact mentioned it, and IMO their words DO NOT imply these 2 mods exist, quite the contrary. People are assuming it because of:

1) Github leaked that appeared to show PS5 tech running at last-gen speeds
2) That's basically how PS4 Pro worked

Boost mode was explicitly mentioned in the "Road to PS5" presentation. They could not have been clearer.
(Video below, bookmarked at the 28 minutes mark).

Mark Cerny said:
Running PS4 and PS4 titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity.
The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it.
Testing has to be done on a title by title basis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom