• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold "more than twice as many" units as Xbox One, new court papers show

What is the source of these supposed 55M?

None of those sources were verified, but it doesn't change what I said about the likely average of Xbox One sales after jan 2015 likely being 5 million a year.

5x6 is 35, add 15 million from the year 4 months before you get 50 million, the number you agree with anyway.

There's a chance some of those years many have had higher sales than 5 million so the maximum estimate I can see is 55 and why I mentioned it as the possible highest number.

Last edited:

yurinka

Any sources on the capcom thing? Can't really find any articles or interviews anymore. From what I remember, Capcom didn't want to pay for it.
Did a quick search and didn't find the actual quote, this is the closest one and the related quote of them saying it was from around that time, it was in one of the interviews of when they announced the game and its exclusivity:

"We know that Capcom, as a whole, isn’t the most financially sound of game developers. Though it’s doing a little better now, last year, Capcom had just $150 million as a cash reserve – which meant making any potentially risky games a potentially crippling prospect. In fact, Capcom’s terribly overworked Street Fighter producer Yoshinoro Ono said at the time that the reason there were no plans for a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV – and by inference, Street Fighter V – on the PS4 or Xbox One was a lack of resources – both human and financial.

With Sony paying, in part, for the game to be made, its exclusivity makes sense. At the PlayStation Experience, Capcom also announced that a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV would be coming to the PS4. Also exclusive, it’s actually being ported by Sony’s Third Party Production Group."

There is at least a couple of other intreviews where I remember that Ono said that without Sony's money they would have had to delay the SFV develoment a couple years because they didn't have money to make it and that other titles had more priority for Capcom.

But in any case, if they couldn't afford to make a USFIV port imagine the whole SFV.

On a separate note, a fun fact: I just found that in this interview from 2016 they say SFV was planned to be supported during 6 or 7 years (next year, the last SFV Capcom Cup will be the 7th), as they did with SFIV series.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t accept lies and misinformation even though you’re in love with Xbox; don’t be blind, be better.
Prove the 'lies'. Just because news is positive about Xbox does makes it lies man. Try being more objective. No one will take your PlayStation away from you. You can always avoid Xbox information if it bothers you so much.

Did a quick search and didn't find the actual quote, this is the closest one and the related quote of them saying it was from around that time, it was in one of the interviews of when they announced the game and its exclusivity:

"We know that Capcom, as a whole, isn’t the most financially sound of game developers. Though it’s doing a little better now, last year, Capcom had just $150 million as a cash reserve – which meant making any potentially risky games a potentially crippling prospect. In fact, Capcom’s terribly overworked Street Fighter producer Yoshinoro Ono said at the time that the reason there were no plans for a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV – and by inference, Street Fighter V – on the PS4 or Xbox One was a lack of resources – both human and financial.

With Sony paying, in part, for the game to be made, its exclusivity makes sense. At the PlayStation Experience, Capcom also announced that a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV would be coming to the PS4. Also exclusive, it’s actually being ported by Sony’s Third Party Production Group."

There is at least a couple of other intreviews where I remember that Ono said that without Sony's money they would have had to delay the SFV develoment a couple years because they didn't have money to make it and that other titles had more priority for Capcom.

But in any case, if they couldn't afford to make a USFIV port imagine the whole SFV.

On a separate note, a fun fact: I just found that in this interview from 2016 they say SFV was planned to be supported during 6 or 7 years (next year, the last SFV Capcom Cup will be the 7th), as they did with SFIV series.

Yeah I remembered it being a money issue, but all I ever saw was One saying capcom just didn't want to pay for it because it was risky.

yurinka

Yeah I remembered it being a money issue, but all I ever saw was One saying capcom just didn't want to pay for it because it was risky.
Read the quote I posted: he said they had $150M in the bank back then, SFV development costed more than that and couldn't even afford to make the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port.

So yes, they needed money and got it from Sony for Street Fighter, from MS for Dead Rising (lol) and from Nintendo for Monster Hunter.

The following years Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry or Street Fighter have been making a ton of money, so now they are better than ever with a record 10 years combo improving their finantial numbers YoY and don't need moneyhats to fund their games anymore.

But got the Sony one to don't release SF6 on XBO and make the RE VR games and from Nintendo to make the console exclusive MH Rise and make a handful minor games like Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection short timed consle exclusive.

Last edited:
Read the quote I posted: he said they had $150M in the bank back then, SFV development costed more than that and couldn't even afford to make the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port.

So yes, they needed money and got it from Sony for Street Fighter, from MS for Dead Rising (lol) and from Nintendo for Monster Hunter.

The following years Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry or Street Fighter have been making a ton of money, so now they are better than ever with a record 10 years combo improving their finantial numbers YoY and don't need moneyhats to fund their games anymore.

But got the Sony one to don't release SF6 on XBO and make the RE VR games and from Nintendo to make the console exclusive MH Rise and make a handful minor games like Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection short timed consle exclusive.

So, yes, as I said Capcom didn't want to spend the money. They didn't have it lmao.

Top Bottom