• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 & PS5 Console Sharing On Same Account?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So I purchased a PS5 this year, and when I realized it would play all my PS4 games, I decided to give my PS4 Pro to my brother for Christmas.

Supposedly there is console sharing, but I am not quite sure how it works. I got home last night to play Cyberpunk and was given a message that another user had logged on to the PS4, and I was kicked out. I spent a few minutes looking at settings trying to figure this out, but couldn't. Eventually I turned off internet access and was able to play.

However, I would like to be able to continue using both machines with the same account. Is that possible? If so, then how do I set that up?

When I search on Google for answers I just kept seeing how to handle two PS5's with the same account. I want to do this with a PS5 and a PS4 Pro.

Anybody else have success with that kind of setup? Thanks in advance...

Iced Arcade

your not game sharing with anyone else right?

I'm not 100% sure myself as I only got the PS4, but would like to know this as well (works fine sharing with my Series X and Xbox One though)

edit: miss read and didn't realize you were trying to use the same profile

Last edited:
So I purchased a PS5 this year, and when I realized it would play all my PS4 games, I decided to give my PS4 Pro to my brother for Christmas.

Supposedly there is console sharing, but I am not quite sure how it works. I got home last night to play Cyberpunk and was given a message that another user had logged on to the PS4, and I was kicked out. I spent a few minutes looking at settings trying to figure this out, but couldn't. Eventually I turned off internet access and was able to play.

However, I would like to be able to continue using both machines with the same account. Is that possible? If so, then how do I set that up?

When I search on Google for answers I just kept seeing how to handle two PS5's with the same account. I want to do this with a PS5 and a PS4 Pro.

Anybody else have success with that kind of setup? Thanks in advance...
Thing is, you cant primary 2 ps4s or ps5s on same account (just like it was before); however, it is possible to primary one account on a ps5 and ps4 concurrently. Friend tried this and it works.

LaochEire

Neo Member
I do this with my bro on PS4 and PS5.

You get your bro to make his PS5 or PS4 pro the primary console. This means that anyone can use their own accounts and have access to any games installed on the machine. He logs in to your account when he wants to download a game and then back to his own when he wants to play. Means he has access to your library.

TLDR version:

1. Get the PS4 Pro as primary device.
2. Get bro to log in to your account and download whatever games he wants.
3. Switch back to his own account to play the games on the PS4 Pro

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I did almost the same thing in my place. I gave my kids the PS4 to use after I got the ps5. I set them up with their own accounts and they use those. My account remains on the system though and they can use the games on it.

sainraja

The way console content licensing and sharing works needs to be overhauled! It's a bit ridiculous on all platforms right now. I know games are expensive and the profit margins are distributed but there has to be a way they can streamline it. Sony use to do it right, by allowing us to designated up to 4 (or 5) devices under an account (I know they lowered the number even on the PS3 down to 2 at some point) and you could even remotely de-authorize devices.

They need to come up with a family plan tied to a single purchase method (to ensure it does not get abused or something) that would let us add up to 6 people total.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The way console content licensing and sharing works needs to be overhauled! It's a bit ridiculous on all platforms right now. I know games are expensive and the profit margins are distributed but there has to be a way they can streamline it. Sony use to do it right, by allowing us to designated up to 4 (or 5) devices under an account (I know they lowered the number even on the PS3 down to 2 at some point) and you could even remotely de-authorize devices.

They need to come up with a family plan tied to a single purchase method (to ensure it does not get abused or something) that would let us add up to 6 people total.
I agree, they need a family system of some kind. You can do it on apple stuff and Google stuff so why not this? I get most houses only have 1 or 2 systems but I'd suspect that to change with all the cross gen stuff.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I have 2 ps4s and 1 ps5 and I can use my whole library over the 3.

Ps5 primary
Ps4 primary
Ps4 secondary

I can use them all 3 concurrently on the same library as long as I play on 3 different accounts, the accunt that purchased the games plays on the secondary console, the other 2 just use different accounts but the content is unlocked.

pasterpl

I agree, they need a family system of some kind. You can do it on apple stuff and Google stuff so why not this? I get most houses only have 1 or 2 systems but I'd suspect that to change with all the cross gen stuff.
Ms have quite nice family app with lots of settings, my home Xbox is in one country and another one set as machine for kids sits in another country, all my subscriptions and games are shared with the other console

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Sorry to hijack this thread but can I?

Play on my PS5, finish playing my PS5 game, turn it off and then

Play on the PS4 with the same account?

I won’t be logged onto the PS5 at the same time and all my PS4 games are disc based.

wvnative

Sorry to hijack this thread but can I?

Play on my PS5, finish playing my PS5 game, turn it off and then

Play on the PS4 with the same account?

I won’t be logged onto the PS5 at the same time and all my PS4 games are disc based.

Yes but on the PS5 you need to manually upload the save file to the cloud, then download it when you get on PS4

devilNprada

I do this with my bro on PS4 and PS5.

You get your bro to make his PS5 or PS4 pro the primary console. This means that anyone can use their own accounts and have access to any games installed on the machine. He logs in to your account when he wants to download a game and then back to his own when he wants to play. Means he has access to your library.

TLDR version:

1. Get the PS4 Pro as primary device.
2. Get bro to log in to your account and download whatever games he wants.
3. Switch back to his own account to play the games on the PS4 Pro
This...

I gave two PS4's out one is Primary.. One uses my main account, and I use a second account on my primary PS5...
We all played little big planet this weekend.

Woody337

I gave my son a ps4 last week, I have a ps5. Does this mean I would only need one PS PLUS sub? Our saves would stay separate though right?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yes but on the PS5 you need to manually upload the save file to the cloud, then download it when you get on PS4
Theoretically my saves will still be on the PS4 as I just unplugged it and put it back in it’s box when the PS5 arrived. I was thinking of putting the PS4 in the living room and don’t need faster loading or 60fps for the games I want to play on my PS4.

devilNprada

I gave my son a ps4 last week, I have a ps5. Does this mean I would only need one PS PLUS sub? Our saves would stay separate though right?

Same situation.. Can't play together on the same account, but yeah you share a PS Plus subscription if that PS4 is your home console..
PS+ is also linked to both user and home console...

Not sure the second account can do cloud saves though...

Top Bottom