• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Was a Test Case for PlayStation 5 Lifecycle, According to Sony.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Even with the extra R and D the Pro IMO was still an afterthought in many ways. Microsoft wanted to design the best possible box they could from point a to z that was 100 percent compatible with everything on the one platform and I believe they hit it. From power to form factor.

The Pros addition of a tiny amount of RAM handicapped it. The lack of a UHD drive on a "4k machine" is still baffling to me.

The design of the the box itself is also pretty bland. And imo ugly as sin.

The pro to me feels like a machine they did because they could while the X feels like a machine hand crafted with a purpose.
I do not disagree really with the core of what you said, One X was a Hail Mary for the Xbox’s marketing message / core reputation while PS4 Pro had a lot less riding on it.

Both machines were hand crafted with a purpose, but as I said MS NEEDED One X to energise their fan base and recover their POWER based marketing message while Sony could have waited for PS5 as well as designed and shipped the PS4 Pro... of course it is possible that the die shrink of the PS4 chipset was tied to/allowed them to take the Polaris core and Vega features and push for a 4K enabled console at a fraction of the price while testing the waters for a mid generation update.

When you have a $100 higher budget and an extra year to work on your HW (which means they couldpush the manufacturing process harder and thus the clocks too), this definitely helps you reach the performance target you wanted. MS waited and Sony did not, had MS released the X the prior year and had their budget been more restricted the final console would have been much much more similar.

PS4 Pro was not as ambitious perhaps, but considering what its mission was, as a mid generation upgrade, it was quite brilliantly assembled too. Xbox One X third party titles are ahead of what PS4 Pro can handle, but the delta is relatively small while Sony managed to defend its market share and grow it further too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

zeus9860

Neo Member
Lo and behold, the majestic wall of text from ancient times! Let us see how many people will survive this first post.

Somewhat topic related based on self experience (opinion):

I used to have a base ps4, gave it to a friend and bought a pro. I have to admit that i had plenty more issues with the pro than i had with the original ps4.

For starters, the controller and headphone that came with the original ps4 both worked for like 5 years minimum. I gave those away when i bought the pro, my previous ps4 went to a friend of mine who still used the controller untill summer this year, which he ended up breaking the controller somehow (i assume rage due to him playing PES games). The lifespan of that controller was a long one but had a sad fate. Now, when i bought the pro edition, it came with the new dualshock controller aswell, this controller 1 year after using it started having analog issues, basically at times the controller likes to move the left analog stick slowly to the left which can be annoying when you want to remain still for a few seconds to do a specific action in a game. Not only this but, i bought a red controller when the controller that came with the pro was acting weird and not "working" with any of my headphones, i assumed the connector in the controller to be broken or something (and it wasn't, for some reason the issue went away the next day), so i ended up buying a 2nd controller for nothing, this 2nd controller started having major issues with the right analog stick 3 months after purchase and i rarelly used it (i don't really like the red colour, i only bought it since it was the only basic unit on sale at the store), basically feels like i got scammed multiple times since i bought the pro. This is not to mention the dead headphone that came with the pro, it worked for less than a month when the previous one worked for around 5 years at least. Or the issues with HDR and LG TVs, the early days of the pro had me constantly reset the system when the console itself stopped displaying image but the sound was working.

*takes a deep breath*

The only issue i had with the original ps4 was the lack of memory to keep some games stabilised at the time and this was the main reason why i bought the pro, this same issue happens now with the pro in very specific games right now which kinda beats the purpose of the upgrade at all. My experience with the pro is the main reason why i never upgraded my xbox one fat either, i could have bought the xonex a couple of times for 250€ but nah, i'll wait for next gen and invest on those instead.

If i had to recommend anyone to buy any of the current gen consoles to get into "console" gaming, i would recommend a xbox one s if you want the cheapest deal and easy access to alot of games (gamepass). The only purpose to buy a ps4 is for the exclusive games, which could be good or not, depending on your tastes. Skip the mid gen refreshes since next gen is close and dishing out the extra money is not worth it at this point (despite this, i still see alot of people buying mid gen upgrades this late on facebook it makes me cringe a little), unless you want to collect gaming systems like me and some others (still i'm not dishing out money on xbox one x when i have the fat version and it works perfectly since it launched, buying the upgrade would likely jinx my luck again).

My opinion about mid gen refreshes, future mid gen refreshes and shorter generations:
They are optional but i think they are also a steal to people that buy them. For example, xbox one x is more than capable of keeping up with next gen games. PS4 Pro could very likely keep up for a while too, despite already facing some perfomance issues right now with some games, i do think that both of these systems diserve to be compatible with next gen for a longer period of time. Instead of the casual 1-2 years of multi platform launching, these mid gen refreshes should last at least double the amount of time.
I know the new consoles are going to be much faster, this issue could be somewhat fixed if people use SSDs to speed up thing a little. Not that a console being much faster is going to take a huge impact on how each console handles the game at the end.
Shorter generations while it seems to be the reality of things (hardware tech is advancing much faster than before), it doesn't make any sense to me. This is basically the same problem as the mid gen refreshes. 4k gaming still isn't mainstream and it will take a while to reach that point, and by the time we reach that point we might have hardware capable of 8k gaming and 60fps (and beyond) and these new systems will focus towards that stuff, which in return will make little sense to buy the new systems since a very small portion of the user base is going to play at 8k (or beyond). To me it makes more sense for each new generation to last longer based on this alone, instead of new generations, make mid gen refreshes for the people wanting to experience the full quality experience. Of course these aren't really "mid gen refreshes" since they are to replace the new generation systems.

*almost passes out for not inhaling enough oxygen*

This is where i think Microsoft will take the crown (if Sony and nintendo do not adapt), they already stated that the next gen system is going to be "future proof" for what is to come down the road. Highly hinting at the idea of using the system as a streaming solution when the hardware becomes obsolete. Keeping these systems alive for a longer period of time is the logical approach here while giving the option to buy beefy hardware systems to those that want to have a new system instead. This is one of the main reasons why i always state in these topics that generations are going to die off sometime next generation, we will instead see hardware upgrades every once in a while to keep the physical hardware aspect alive for a little longer. There is really no purpose to keep repeating the same old tradition when technology is going to reach a point where digital/streaming is going to be the base of everything. I think it would make sense to only release a new system that supports resolutions or some new type of technology that is beyond 8k(hence the reason it is stated to be future proof, i do not associate it to be a permanent thing but the lifespan is definetly going to be much larger than it normally is for a console system).

tl;dr
There is no tl;dr. Sorry! But kudos to you if you made it this far without cheating the legendary punishment... err i mean test.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Somewhere i believe when i speaking about the xbox Phil said something about 4k/120fps iirc. Hence why i want a ver significant "upgrade" if they choose to go that route again.

What's all this about hdmi 2.1? Any tv support that already?
HDMI 2.1 is the new HDMI standard that should show up in more TVs next year. Right now only LG OLEDs have it and the ultra expensive 8K TVs. It has many features like VRR and 4K and up to 120 fps with full 10-bit color.

Isa

I at first loved my original Pro, but recently sold it for a newer model due to the extreme noise. Sadly I haven't really played it since Days Gone and early Death Stranding (the reason I got a new one). The other notable drawback for my family and I is the lack of a UHD player. The X is a blast to use, as is the Switch and my PC. I don't mind another mid-gen refresh from both so long as the price and tech are justified. I definitely got a LOT of time out of my PS4 and Pro. I mainly hope that Sony has learnt from the noise issues and works on solid cooling solutions, 'cause next-gen is gonna get hot and I don't want another jet-engine scenario. If that's the case I'd ditch it and stick to my other systems.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I at first loved my original Pro, but recently sold it for a newer model due to the extreme noise. Sadly I haven't really played it since Days Gone and early Death Stranding (the reason I got a new one). The other notable drawback for my family and I is the lack of a UHD player. The X is a blast to use, as is the Switch and my PC. I don't mind another mid-gen refresh from both so long as the price and tech are justified. I definitely got a LOT of time out of my PS4 and Pro. I mainly hope that Sony has learnt from the noise issues and works on solid cooling solutions, 'cause next-gen is gonna get hot and I don't want another jet-engine scenario. If that's the case I'd ditch it and stick to my other systems.

The X is my favorite console this generation. If they continue with what they started there with the Series X, I can't wait.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Digital Foundry already proved your claim false so indeed 🙄
giphy.gif

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I do not disagree really with the core of what you said, One X was a Hail Mary for the Xbox’s marketing message / core reputation while PS4 Pro had a lot less riding on it.

Both machines were hand crafted with a purpose, but as I said MS NEEDED One X to energise their fan base and recover their POWER based marketing message while Sony could have waited for PS5 as well as designed and shipped the PS4 Pro... of course it is possible that the die shrink of the PS4 chipset was tied to/allowed them to take the Polaris core and Vega features and push for a 4K enabled console at a fraction of the price while testing the waters for a mid generation update.

When you have a $100 higher budget and an extra year to work on your HW (which means they couldpush the manufacturing process harder and thus the clocks too), this definitely helps you reach the performance target you wanted. MS waited and Sony did not, had MS released the X the prior year and had their budget been more restricted the final console would have been much much more similar.

PS4 Pro was not as ambitious perhaps, but considering what its mission was, as a mid generation upgrade, it was quite brilliantly assembled too. Xbox One X third party titles are ahead of what PS4 Pro can handle, but the delta is relatively small while Sony managed to defend its market share and grow it further too.

Sony probably could have squeezed more out of the PS4 Pro but like you said, they really didnt need to giving just how well the OG ps4 was selling.

For 100 more could they have added a faster CPU, 4 GB of Unified RAM and a UHD Bli Ray? I think so, maybe for even less if they tried but 500 clams is a lot to ask people to pay for something they already have.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sony probably could have squeezed more out of the PS4 Pro but like you said, they really didnt need to giving just how well the OG ps4 was selling.

For 100 more could they have added a faster CPU, 4 GB of Unified RAM and a UHD Bli Ray? I think so, maybe for even less if they tried but 500 clams is a lot to ask people to pay for something they already have.

It wasn't money keeping UHD Blu-Ray out of the Pro. The Xbox One S had it for $100 less.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This is true but the other improvements Sony made had to cost some money. You don't from 1.8 to 4.2 TF for $10 a unit.
Process shrinks Sony cheaped out on the pro to max out profits. That is what market leaders do take advantage of the situation to make money. That is why the industry works best when there is competition and those wishing MS to leave are misguided.

The Alien

Banned
Calling bullshit on Sony here.

Every company learns from the gen before it.

Both base consoles were underwhelming, even at launch. The mid-gen refreshes provided the capability needed for the current gen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Calling bullshit on Sony here.

Every company learns from the gen before it.

Both base consoles were underwhelming, even at launch. The mid-gen refreshes provided the capability needed for the current gen.

That is because the tech was not available at the time for both consoles to have powerhouses. It was a transitional phase into the x86-64 ecosystem going forward. They needed affordable low TDP going in.

Now the tech is there to come out with much better powerhouses day 0.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can I just pay once and get the best console upfront.Consoles having refreshes is retarded.
No you will buy it at launch and buy the updated version later AND you will like it!

Its just to keep people with gear acquisition syndrome happy.

Personally If I buy ps4 once, its all I will have. Next I will get a switch or xbone or get a gaming laptop. Ps4 pro is not what comes to MY mind.

One thing sony and ms can do is release consoles 2 years apart from each other so I can get a better, more unique mid gen upgrade instead of basically same thing, a little better and smoother running.

Top Bottom