• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Players Are Frustrated With Bizarre PSN Feature about the limit of cloud saves.

1000 saves? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maybe if you're OCD/Autistic and have to save 50 times every time you turn the console off you will fill it up. Otherwise, this is people bitching for the sake of bitching.

When a game is finished, keep a save from a fun fight and a save near the end of the game. The rest get wiped.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
If you have 1000 saves, you could easily go through the list and trim them down on a game-to-game basis. That's like making a fresh save every 10 minutes in Fallout kinda behavior.

Kagey K

Banned
Ps4 players = some random guy trying to raise a non existent issue.
If it was non existent, a player would have never found it, it obviously does exist. It doesn’t affect many players right now, but if it isn’t addressed more and more players might find themselves hitting that cap.

For instance let’s say right now I have 641 games with 1 save per game, by mid gen I will be well past that 1000 save limit, if they don’t correct it going into next gen.

Something that might seem small now, can turn into a big problem later if not looked at, similar to trying to change your name.

TimFL

What do they mean by savegame? I know that several games (like Spider-Man PS4) have a gazillion savegame entries (?) when I check out the cloud saves (for every point in the story one SG). Does that count as a SG? Or are they "special" partitions of a savegame? If yes, the 1k limit could be reached very quickly with the "wrong" games being played.

That being said, PS4 cloud saves are incredibly archaic by nature. They should've opted for something like Steam Cloud saves or XB1 savegames... no reason they can't give me a toggle to always keep the cloud and my HDD in sync in terms of SG (cause I never leave my device in standby / rest mode for any potential late night sync to occur).

Last edited:

BTHR Zero X

What do they mean by savegame? I know that several games (like Spider-Man PS4) have a gazillion savegame entries (?) when I check out the cloud saves (for every point in the story one SG). Does that count as a SG? Or are they "special" partitions of a savegame? If yes, the 1k limit could be reached very quickly with the "wrong" games being played.

That being said, PS4 cloud saves are incredibly archaic by nature. They should've opted for something like Steam Cloud saves or XB1 savegames... no reason they can't give me a toggle to always keep the cloud and my HDD in sync in terms of SG (cause I never leave my device in standby / rest mode for any potential late night sync to occur).
It is per entry, so with my dead island I have a save for each playable character which is 4 plus the data and then profile so 6.

Most games have 2 - 3 saves nowadays so 10 games is 30 saves.

The kids play LEGO Worlds and each world they go to is a new save. So they have 40+ saves on one game because that is how it is designed

JSoup

Banned
I mean, it would depend on the games you play.
Lots of small, flash games, like trophy hunters? Assuming each save is backed up, 1000 can be reached pretty easily.
However, my partner blew my cloud the fuck up in Skyrim saves when it was new on PS3 simply cause the file sizes are that game are stupid big.

nikolino840

1000 saves? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maybe if you're OCD/Autistic and have to save 50 times every time you turn the console off you will fill it up. Otherwise, this is people bitching for the sake of bitching.

When a game is finished, keep a save from a fun fight and a save near the end of the game. The rest get wiped.
If you play Easy-kids game yes,what about rpg's? Now there Is a lot of PC-rpg like pillars/baldur's gate and others
Never found an hard game?

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Yeah... having over 1000 saves is ridiculous, I have a shitload of games and saves and it's probably in the 200-300 range. At least right now it is but with PS5 being backwards compatible and having it's own games, it's possible that they'll have to up this limit or get rid of it and just have the storage cap of 100GB at some point in the future.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Its dumb to limit it but seriously what are the odds of someone having 1000 saves?
I have like 400 saves or so and I barely play games anymore. I can see a person that ONLY has a ps4 racking up these many saves.

Vawn

Banned
just for comparison... on Xbox One cloud saves are free and unlimited... makes you think

1000 cloud saves and unlimited cloud saves are identical in practice for basically everyone. But if you want to use this as a bullet in the console war, congratulations- go get those ponies.

Fox Mulder

It's just an interesting limit as games are designed to create like a dozen saves now. It could be more of an issue next gen.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
1000 cloud saves and unlimited cloud saves are identical in practice for basically everyone. But if you want to use this as a bullet in the console war, congratulations- go get those ponies.
I thought the SDF died 10 years ago? His point is valid and Sony should do the same. Also Nintendo.
It's just an interesting limit as games are designed to create like a dozen saves now. It Ituld be more of an issue next gen.
Exactly.

BTHR Zero X

Currently I have 89 saved games on my HDD

with 269 saves total because they way games split settings, user data, profile data, and save progress

and as I said about LEGO Worlds that game has 64 Saves on its own.

So yeah I haven't even hit 100 PS4 games and have over 1 quarter of the limit hit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Currently I have 89 saved games on my HDD

with 269 saves total because they way games split settings, user data, profile data, and save progress

and as I said about LEGO Worlds that game has 64 Saves on its own.

So yeah I haven't even hit 100 PS4 games and have over 1 quarter of the limit hit.
Around 3 saves per game? That is very light.

Pallas

Gold Member
It could potentially be a problem assuming these saves carry over to next gen and with the PS5 assumingely backwards compatible with PS4 games.

This is probably a non issue for most currently but I can see it being a bigger problem down the road. Maybe they’ll sell you cloud space similar to what Apple does? Or just copy Microsoft and make it free and unlimited(if they are able to)

PocoJoe

Banned
I roughly calculated all ps+ ps4 games or crossplay ps4 games and it is around 200 titles. I have tested most of them

1 save per title = 200 saves

Then games I have bought = 130

So that is around 333 saves.

If game would have average of 3 files =1000 saves full.

But maybe average gamer doesnt take all ps+ games and test them, or buy 100+ games

Banned

well you also just ignored the fact that on Xbox One it's free and on PS4 you need PS+

that's why it's such a joke.
Xbox One = Free + Unlimited
PS4 = $50-$70 a year(depending on region and deals) + Limited to 1000

Reactions: RSB

cormack12

Gold Member
Probably someone with a shared/family account. But I bet most of this problem is just leaving auto upload on. People don't manage their data. You have the option to export and stick them in Google drive or onedrive for archiving. Temporary backup and deep archive are completely different things.

Gargus

Banned
I've never had an issue with cloud saved space. It's just fine.

This is one of those cases where 2 or 3% of all the people complain, and do so very loudly and make an issue of it. End result is it seems like a problem when really it isn't at all. This is a situation of "you can't make everybody happy all the time". No company is going to invest 10x the money, time and effort into trying to please a very tiny portion of their customers as it makes no sense to do so..

If those few don't like it then they can backup some to flash drives, not all games allow you to backup a save but quite a few do, you can buy a bigger hard drive for your system, or you can delete some of the cloud ones you won't ever play again.

Kind of stinks of entitlement where they think everything should be how they want when in reality nothing is ever really that way. Besides if this douce can complain so much about cloud save limits he should be truly thankful because he has the most awesome life ever that if this is the biggest problem in your life worth that much attention then he has no real problems at all.

Nester99

Some games are silly with save files. I recall saving often playing ff13 and the default was to make a new save everytime.

This was back when you had a 1gb cap. I hit the cap and noticed about 125 saves just for ff13 alone

They should remove the # cap and stick to file size cap

vkbest

How can you see how much saves you have? I usually have 30-50 on rpg games, so I’m sure I have more than 1000 saves

If you play Easy-kids game yes,what about rpg's? Now there Is a lot of PC-rpg like pillars/baldur's gate and others
Never found an hard game?
What does difficulty have to do with anything?

Autosave + one save every fifteen minutes saves a lot of time. No need for 1000 saves and eve IF I wanted to make a save every minute, for six hours it would only be 360 saves.

1000 limit is well beyond reasonable. Especially considering my HDD (biggest I could get at the time) couldn't handle 1000 saves back in the day when I played OG baldurs gate. or my PS1 memory card having only 15 blocks...

cryptoadam

Banned
I suggest getting outside and enjoying the sun.

this is only a problem the extreme minority will have, and TBH if it gets to that point ya I think you need to look at spending a little bit of time and money away from gaming.

Nothing wrong with playing games, enjoying them, being involved in communities, but there is more to life than video games.

vkbest

Anyway this is false advertising, Sony is promoting you will have 100gb for saves if you PAY the subscription, for example I saw just now my saves, I have 900 saves on 14GB.

Fake

Are we?
I want free unlimited too don't get me wrong, but I'm not frustrated. Neither my two brother, my cousin and my friends. While we have HD + pen drive + online we're just fine.

Its dumb to limit it but seriously what are the odds of someone having 1000 saves?
It's still there for some reason, those saves do pileup over the years, and with the price of storage and modern file systems there is no apparent reason for this to be (I mean, the programmers maybe though that this was overkill for some strange reason).

Maybe a single game can have more than one "save".

Anyway, what I really meant to say is that with what PS+ has to offer online storage of your save games should not be limited in any way.

Tiamat2san

Is it 1000 games saves or 1000 saves from games?

On Xbox one I have i got 416 installed (or ready to) but some have tons of save files so i guess I have more than 1000 saves.

Klayzer

Plus Xbox doesn't have a local option. The gamers that are affected could also use a USB drive to store their saves on the PS4, which to me is the better option. Complete control of all of your saves with the latter.

Top Bottom