• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 more profitable than any console in video game history!

mckmas8808

Banned
Yes... Profits are up and clearly quality isn't a driving factor. Not sure how you define healthy and no clue about all-time.

I assume you have a point to make here.

Then I'd assume they'll continue giving their fans the same thing they are currently getting. Clearly, some gamers are happy with their production. That' my point.

Aion002

I'm not triggered by anything. I'm a playstation fan. Since I don't invest in Sony I am not going to celebrate their profitability.
So if Sony announced that the ps4 was a failure, you would not be worried that the games you enjoy (ps fan, right?) could be at risk?

PS fans are happy that Playstation is successful, because that means that more of the games they enjoy will potentially be made....

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Then I'd assume they'll continue giving their fans the same thing they are currently getting. Clearly, some gamers are happy with their production. That' my point.

Nevermind. You are either straw manning on purpose or just really not getting it. Good chat.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So if Sony announced that the ps4 was a failure, you would not be worried that the games you enjoy (ps fan, right?) could be at risk?

Of course I don't want them to fail; that is not the only option besides "celebrating their maximizing of profits."

mckmas8808

Banned
Nevermind. You are either straw manning on purpose or just really not getting it. Good chat.

No, it's you that's making things broader than it has to be. It's clear through history that if a company like Sony is making $1billion of profit per quarter, then it makes sense for a PS gamer to be excited about that (because it means they'll likely get a stronger PS brand in the coming year or more). You are the one extrapolating that to companies like EA and Activision.

Rolla

Banned
Of course I don't want them to fail; that is not the only option besides "celebrating their maximizing of profits."

Nobody is celebrating the maximizing of profits.

We're on a gaming centrist forum celebrating the fact that after 25 years one of the pillars of this hobby have reached a new milestone, A milestone that showcases the health of their business model and ensures more investment.

I don't get why you're trying to frame this in a bad light.

EDMIX

I'm not concerned with their profits. Earn those profits by selling me good games. That's what matters at the end.

True.

Thats probably why they are more so focused on making those teams inhouse instead of a lot of purchases. If a team they make inhouse ends up making some new IP that moves 10 million or something, its better for them then if they needed to spend a few hundred million on buying a team. Making a new IP is likely cheaper for them then buying an existing one.

EDMIX

It's far more complicated than that, particularly for a large company.

I'm not suggesting that Sony won't invest further and continue to make better shit for consumers. But profitability numbers are not how you know that to be true. That is not how running a large corporation works or even a division.

For instance.. if a lot of that profitability is coming from 3rd party MTX... Sony might decide that to grow profits they need to add a lot of MTX to their games. Is that something people would celebrate here?

So I digress; it's silly to celebrate profitability. Celebrate the actions a company takes that benefit you, and there's a lot to celebrate for Sony fans. Their profitability is really not something to celebrate on it's own.

The fuck are you talking about? Why are you so triggered by this?

A company doing well and making money means they very much have more money to continue to make the things that I like.

Sooooooooo them being profitable is good news for gamers as it tells us they can continue to make games we like.

Why the fuck would we not want them to do well? Them doing badly means we don't get content we like, soooooo its very much tied together more then you realize. Imagine getting this triggered that gamers are happy about a company making money so they can continue to get the content that they like.

It would be like getting fucking mad that we are happy Horizon Zero Dawn moved 10 million units. So we should not be happy at all someone made money so we could get more of a series? huh?

You big triggered for no reason man.

ZehDon

Cerny designed a competitive machine with the goal of avoiding the PlayStation 3 loss-leading BOM, and knocked it out of the park. A cheap little console that stayed relevant longer than one might expect.
Sony rejected the anti-consumer policies Microsoft were pushing, and doubled down on making sure they were the friendliest game in town.
The software houses also stepped up and delivered the goods, year after year, hit after hit.

Sony earned every bit of their success this generation. Well done!

EDMIX

Cerny designed a competitive machine with the goal of avoiding the PlayStation 3 loss-leading BOM, and knocked it out of the park. A cheap little console that stayed relevant longer than one might expect.
Sony rejected the anti-consumer policies Microsoft were pushing, and doubled down on making sure they were the friendliest game in town.
The software houses also stepped up and delivered the goods, year after year, hit after hit.

Sony earned every bit of their success this generation. Well done!

This.

Their ability to have Sony Bend do a new IP like Days Gone, Sucker Punch do a new IP like Ghost Of Tsushima and Guerilla Games do a new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn and many more is why the community trust them to deliver new content. They are always fighting to get new consumers in.

Doesn't shock me that the other half of Naughty Dog is working on a new IP. At this point, how they do new IPs is completely expected and not hoped for desperately.

Ozzie666

I really hope for a successful PS1 to PS2 type transition for Sony. It's great to see them healthy and doing well. It's also great seeing Microsoft and Nintendo doing well, in their own ways.

EDMIX

Yes... Profits are up and clearly quality isn't a driving factor

I greatly disagree. People do not go out of their way to buy products they believe have bad quality, offer no value and are useless or something.

If its THAT BAD, you will not have "profits up", they will lose sales as consumers would be fucking playing PS1 looking games, crashing games, games with corrupted saves etc. That isn't a recipe for profits up. I understand having a difference of opinion, but relax on the exaggerated talk man. Someone isn't fucking buying something for no reason, clearly they believe it has some value and is of great quality for them to buy a Call Of Duty or Battlefield etc.

That isn't a fucking accident.

thelastword

Banned
And that was after PS3, when everybody said Sony was doomed and consoles were done and MS would take this gen in a clean sweep....

From what I'm seeing. Sony keeps on setting the bar and breaking the bar to set a higher bar.....No doubt that the plan, because Jim Ryan just said he is about to shatter PS4's record with PS5 and he is well on his way.....

What's that I smell? Success? because success broods success,,,

IntentionalPun

Nobody is celebrating the maximizing of profits.

We're on a gaming centrist forum celebrating the fact that after 25 years one of the pillars of this hobby have reached a new milestone, A milestone that showcases the health of their business model and ensures more investment.

I don't get why you're trying to frame this in a bad light.
I'm not framing profits in a bad light; I'm saying it's more complicated than something to outright cheer. And I think it's sort of hilarious at face value to cheer (you are literally cheering them increasing their profit margins.)

What it indicates is that they've... figured out how to profit more off of us. That's it really. That absolutely does not mean "more good things for consumers" necessarily. It's not some black or white thing. Companies will invest heavily in something that isn't profiting.. they will stagnate investment on something that is.. and any combination of those things.. because it's far more complicated than some black and white thing consumers should be cheering about.

That's all I'm saying. This forum seems incapable of thinking beyond "this thing good!" or "this thing bad." And this absolutely is about Sony maximizing profits; they ditched being a loss leader.. ditches Playstation being a more strategic product, and more of a product that had to have large profits for the company to be healthy, etc. Which again isn't black or white good or bad.. it just is what it is. But when Playstation was a more strategic product for them.. Sony was actually more willing to have us pay less and them more. It's just basic math.

Regardless of this Sony has been good to consumers, so my point is.. focus on those things.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

The fuck are you talking about? Why are you so triggered by this?

A company doing well and making money means they very much have more money to continue to make the things that I like.

Sooooooooo them being profitable is good news for gamers as it tells us they can continue to make games we like.

Why the fuck would we not want them to do well? Them doing badly means we don't get content we like, soooooo its very much tied together more then you realize. Imagine getting this triggered that gamers are happy about a company making money so they can continue to get the content that they like.

It would be like getting fucking mad that we are happy Horizon Zero Dawn moved 10 million units. So we should not be happy at all someone made money so we could get more of a series? huh?

You big triggered for no reason man.
God damn dude why are you so triggered by my comments? Always ironic when someone who is swearing at you and putting words in your mouth in response to calmly written posts claims you are the triggered one.

I didn't suggest most of what you are implying in your post here, and I am certainly not the triggered one.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

With how video games have become more popular and the oof that was/is the Xbox One and its library, this doesn't surprise me at all. In terms of the PS4 library, I feel like we've had better previous gens, but man, Sony definitely crushed Microsoft this gen IMO.

That's really impressive.
I would have thought a Nintendo console would hold this title as they usually sell cheaper hardware at a decent profit. PS4 was/is such a beast. Well deserved.

Nooot quite. I mean you have to take into account aaaall the new streams of revenue games have gotten this gen. Like there's just no comparison to previous gens.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nooot quite. I mean you have to take into account aaaall the new streams of revenue game's have gotten this gen. Like there's just no comparison to previous gens.

These are facts.

Whats so wild, is that is before even factoring in a single game's physical sales.

Evilms

Banned
EachElderlyBedbug-max-1mb.gif

HeresJohnny

It might be the best system Sony has ever made. It's got a literal fuck ton of exclusive killer stuff. The PS4 was an absolute home run by Sony proving why they are the leader in the console space.

I wish I felt as positive about the PS5.

A.Romero

This is great. Congrats to Sony.

While it doesn't seal anything in stone for the future, at least it is proof that:

- The people claiming that industry would crash a few years back were dead wrong
- People claiming that console gaming was dead in favor of mobile were dead wrong
- People saying that single player games were done were dead wrong

Evidently there is a market for what Sony does and if anyone is fan of what they do is a good reason to take this as good news. It means that it is at least more likely that there will be more in the future than less.

Rolla

Banned
Sony did a great job, but Microsoft gift wrapped this for them.

Nintendo was the Juggernaut in the industry when PS one released. 5 years later PS2 made history. I don't think it's about XBOX gift wrapping anything. More so Sony sticking to their tried and tested strategy.

Great games.

Kokoloko85

Consumers celebrating profit will never not be hilarious to me.

Its means there favourite gaming brand will continue to invest more into gaming and stick around for longer.
Even though companies like MS, Google and Amazon are around who are giants compared to Sony.

Its always good news when Playstation and Nintendo drive gaming forward and can carry on making games
Especially when people were saying console are dead 7 years ago because of mobile, PC and ”cloud” gaming

Last edited:

Romulus

Nintendo was the Juggernaut in the industry when PS one released. 5 years later PS2 made history. I don't think it's about XBOX gift wrapping anything. More so Sony sticking to their tried and tested strategy.

Great games.

Disagree, xbox 360 was in position to had over a growing branding with around 80 million sold. The xbox one represented a shift in xbox's clear "games first" strategy to TV, and they paid dearly

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait, so the source of the analysis is a hardcore playstation fan from another forum? I don't see any statistics regarding xbox profits anywhere in his calculations .......pretty sure they don't push them. So how would we know if the ps4 was the most profitable console of all time?

Megatron

You realize that Profits are the amount over cost you are paying? You’re bragging that ps4 fans overpay for their system more than any other system‘s fans. Weird flex, but glad you’re happy.

synce

Not that hard to do when you practically never drop the price. PS1 and 2 ended their lifecycles at around $100, vs $300 launch. PS4 still $300, and maybe that's why despite record profits the market hasn't grown since PS2.

Kagey K

Banned
They needed it after the damage the PS3 did to the company and their bottom line.

It’s always nice to see a good comeback.

Not that hard to do when you practically never drop the price. PS1 and 2 ended their lifecycles at around $100, vs $300 launch. PS4 still $300, and maybe that's why despite record profits the market hasn't grown since PS2.
Sony will drop the price when they need to. You don't drop price for fun, you do it for maximum effect. A superslim PS4 is where it is at. $199 or cheaper.

Hezekiah

Banned
The fact that Sony did this with Nintendo being the Juggernaut that it is and XBOX on the market is something else.
It's what I kept telling people. Sure the Switch has had big success in some territories, but it can't compete with the global cassh cow that PS4 is.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Q3 ends today, results Feb.

Ps4 should solidify it´s absolute top tier position as the most profitable game machine of all time.

Top Bottom