• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS4) Kingdom Hearts - The Story So Far coming Oct. 30

Humdinger

Let me ask you this. Would you honestly recommend Yakuza 6 to someone who hasn't played any other Yakuza games?

No, because I haven't played 6. I jumped on board Yakuza with Zero, which was good timing. I've only played 0 and 1 so far.

But I get what you're asking. So the answer is no, ideally they should start at the start, with 0, which is a great game (which is apparently not true for the first in the KH series). But if they didn't have the time for that, I wouldn't scold them for it, and I would be happy that they at least were willing to try #6. I'd think to myself that maybe if they enjoy that, they'll go back and play some of the earlier games, too. Always happy to cultivate a new Yakuza fan. I'd also know that each Yakuza game stands alone, and although it helps to have played the earlier games, it isn't mandatory. I would hope that KH3 is something like that.

Like or not KH is continues story so yes going have hard time understanding the story of KHIII if you haven't played the pervious games.

Yes, I understand that. My point is that I don't want to do all the work necessary to come up to speed with the story. I accept that this means I will not understand much of the backstory. That's okay. I can live with that. I don't necessarily need to grasp Goofy's deeper motivations. This isn't Tolstoy. (Sorry, I'm being a wise-ass.)

If you really cant play the pervious games I recommend at very least watch detail story of pervious games on YouTube.

I'll do that.

Honestly you don't need to play EVERYTHING to know the most important stuff, if you play 1, 2 and birth by sleep you will have the main stuff and I'm pretty sure it will be enough to follow KH 3 without being completely lost. And 2 and Birth by sleep are incredible games, still today, extremely fun. KH 1 didn't age as good in my opinion, but 2 and birth by sleep are still really worth playing even today, ton of fun.

I'll probably go back and play the earlier games, if I like KH3. I don't have time at this point to devote to playing old KH games, in order to warm up to the new one. I honestly haven't been interested enough in the franchise to consider a purchase until KH3.

Whether you play all the games or not you're probably not gonna understand the story anyway
:messenger_tongue:

Yeah, I think that's probably true, lol.

Last edited:

Larxia

I'll probably go back and play the earlier games, if I like KH3. I don't have time at this point to devote to playing old KH games, in order to warm up to the new one. I honestly haven't been interested enough in the franchise to consider a purchase until KH3.
I'm a bit confused, why do you really need to play KH 3 first? Just because it's new and will be the new cool thing for a few weeks? lol
Nothing forces you to play it at release, and if you don't have time, why not then playing 1 when you have time, then 2 and so on at your own pace? Without the need to follow the release schedule.
It also seems like you're assuming KH 3 will be better than the previous ones in all possible way, but we don't know about that, KH 2 in critical mode really is one of the best games I've ever played, even still today, I replayed it recently and it's still amazing, nothing guarantes that KH 3 will be as good in every possible way, I mean I hope so, but you never know.

They also didn't even age graphically so it's not a reason either, compared to sometimes some games just feeling super old next to their new sequel, graphically / gameplay wise.

I don't see a reason to play KH 3 just because it's going to come out soon, just play it when you have time / when you're ready.

I mean that's just how I see things.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

They also didn't even age graphically so it's not a reason either, compared to sometimes some games just feeling super old next to their new sequel, graphically / gameplay wise.

Just wanted to cosign this. Because of its art style, Kingdom Hearts has not aged liked other games of its time. Add this to the masterful job Square has done updating this collection (4K/60) and graphics should be no barrier. Theyre not going to look like KH3 obviously, but they still look great.

Humdinger

I'm a bit confused, why do you really need to play KH 3 first? Just because it's new and will be the new cool thing for a few weeks? lol

No, it's just the only one that's appealed to me. It's probably the fact that it's a current-gen title, with top-notch graphics, vs. these other games, which are considerably older. It's the graphic spectacle that has impressed me in the videos I've seen.

Nothing forces you to play it at release, and if you don't have time, why not then playing 1 when you have time, then 2 and so on at your own pace? Without the need to follow the release schedule.

I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all that pumped about KH3, and I probably won't get it at release. There are a lot of games on my list that would take priority over KH3. I'll probably pick it up later, down the road.

I'm not invested in the series enough to want to start from the beginning. I know you guys are that invested, because you're fans, and that's fine, but I'm not, so I'm in a different position. If I wait until I'm in the mood to play this series from the start, I guarantee that I will never play a KH game.

It also seems like you're assuming KH 3 will be better than the previous ones in all possible way

No, I'm not.

I don't see a reason to play KH 3 just because it's going to come out soon, just play it when you have time / when you're ready.

I will.

Well, tell you what. If I like KH3, I'll go back and play KH2. That's the best I can do. ;)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Because when 1.5 and 2.5 released 2.8 that included Birth by sleep fragment passage recently came out. With this collection includes all three.
So the others are redundant now.

I wish Square would release a FF collection from 1-13, all on one disc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
@ Humdinger Humdinger : I wasn’t really trying scold you. KHIII is end of Xehanort saga with lots of returning characters. So if you just want to jump in KHIII without knowledge of pervious games then I’m really sorry tell you this but you are going to have a hard time getting in to game. Even if you just in it for gameplay, KH series known to have lots of cutscenes which will be not enjoyable to watch if you don’t know what’s going on.

But at end of the day it your choice I’m just giving advice as someone who familiar with KH series.

Last edited:

Humdinger

@ Humdinger Humdinger : I wasn’t really trying scold you. KHIII is end of Xehanort saga with lots of returning characters. So if you just want to jump in KHIII without knowledge of pervious games then I’m really sorry tell you this but you are going to have a hard time getting in to game. Even if you just in it for gameplay, KH series known to have lots of cutscenes which will be not enjoyable to watch if you don’t know what’s going on.

But at end of the day it your choice I’m just giving advice as someone who familiar with KH series.

I hear what you're saying. Thanks for the input.

hrab

My advice would be to skip the old ones, and jump right into the third one. I've played Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it was a very unpleasant experience. One of the worst controls I have ever seen and the story really felt meaningless (and not very interesting). The cool part is interacting with disney characters(final fantasy characters felt just like some extras put there without any real impact) and for that the core KH story is not necessary. I assume later games were better (at least in regards to controls), but I don't feel like there is any need to waste time on them to have fun with Baymax or Rapunzel in KH3.

Humdinger

Yeah, I'll take my chances with just watching a video recap and jumping into KH3. I'll also pay attention to the reviews. I'm sure they'll comment on how accessible it is to newcomers.

I can't believe S-E would make a massive-budget game like this, and design it so that it is only enjoyable if you've played the previous games. That would be foolish and self-defeating. Game developers and publishers are always interested in expanding their customer base, especially as budgets expand and customers either age out or move on. They don't want to prohibit new customers from enjoying the game. They want to do what they can to rope them in. That's the only way to stay viable. You don't want to limit your audience to only people who've played the previous games. That's especially true with KH3 coming to the Xbox One for the first time.

Danjin44

Yeah, I'll take my chances with just watching a video recap and jumping into KH3. I'll also pay attention to the reviews. I'm sure they'll comment on how accessible it is to newcomers.

I can't believe S-E would make a massive-budget game like this, and design it so that it is only enjoyable if you've played the previous games. That would be foolish and self-defeating. Game developers and publishers are always interested in expanding their customer base, especially as budgets expand and customers either age out or move on. They don't want to prohibit new customers from enjoying the game. They want to do what they can to rope them in. That's the only way to stay viable. You don't want to limit your audience to only people who've played the previous games. That's especially true with KH3 coming to the Xbox One for the first time.
So would advise that SE not continue the story from previous KH games and piss off long time fans just to make it more accessible for new comers? SE is already released all previous games in one console. The only thing puzzles me is why SE refusing release those collection on Xbox?

So would advise that SE not continue the story from previous KH games and piss off long time fans just to make it more accessible for new comers? SE is already released all previous games in one console. The only thing puzzles me is why SE refusing release those collection on Xbox?
It's definitely weird that only the PS4 is getting the collection. If there's any time for the XB1 users to finally get their hands on these collections, it's this fall. KH3 is coming out in January. For the The Story So Far collection to releases after KH3 on the XB1 would make little sense.

Humdinger

Come on now, you're only imagining 2 possibilities: 1) make the game impossible to enjoy unless you've played the earlier ones (your option); and 2) abandon all the backstory and piss off series' fans. Surely you can think of more options than those two polar opposites.

hrab

What's so weird about that? Was there any KH game on released on xbox so far? If not, then they need to port them first, which of course cost time and money. It's not as easy as just combining some already released games on one disc.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Is the story something a kid could understand? Just in a superficial layer and be able to proceed through it?
From what I’ve seen it’s unnecessarily convoluted. Like a shounen sci-fi/fantasy anime series that has gone on way too long and needs to keep coming up with plot twists.

Sucks because there is already so much great Disney lore to build upon, then they added this layer of goofy anime crap on top of it.

Danjin44

Come on now, you're only imagining 2 possibilities: 1) make the game impossible to enjoy unless you've played the earlier ones (your option); and 2) abandon all the backstory and piss off series' fans. Surely you can think of more options than those two polar opposites.
KH series is not like FF or Persona, lot of fans is looking forward to conclusion of this story.
What's so weird about that? Was there any KH game on released on xbox so far? If not, then they need to port them first, which of course cost time and money. It's not as easy as just combining some already released games on one disc.
Then why SE even bothered releasing KHIII on xbox if they are not willing to release the collection on Xbox which most of the users will be new to the series?

hrab

Why not? The Witcher 3 was the first game of the series released on playstation, yet people who didn't play it before seemed to have a lot of fun with it.

Danjin44

Why not? The Witcher 3 was the first game of the series released on playstation, yet people who didn't play it before seemed to have a lot of fun with it.
Because lot of fans looking forward to conclusion of the story just like in MGS4. If you want get in to the story either play the games or watch story of the pervious games on YouTube.

hrab

And how not releasing previous games on xbox is going to prevent that? Fans of the series will have their conclusion, new fans will still be able to enjoy the game one way or another, exactly as with The Witcher. You see a problem where there is none.

In my opinion if you are completely new in the series and see a list of 9 games that you should play before the one that you are actually interested in, it can only discourage you(especially if more of them play as badly as KH1.5), so some short video with "the story so far" would be much better. I'm not trying to say that there is no point in releasing the collection on xbox, but that it's not really that weird considering that they need to port 9 games first. It takes time, and if KH3 will sell nicely on xbox, I'm pretty sure it will happen.

Humdinger

KH series is not like FF or Persona, lot of fans is looking forward to conclusion of this story.

I know. Doesn't address my point, though. There are more than the two black and white options you presented. There are many ways they could handle this, in a way that allows newcomers to enjoy the game. It ain't rocket science. Games, TV series, movie series, and novels do it all the time.

iHaunter

I'm hoping we can halfway comprehend what's going on in KH3, without having played all that stuff. I'm not going to go through the trouble of playing it all, just so I can better appreciate the story in KH3. If the story is incomprehensible without it, I'll just go along with the story without knowing or really caring what the hell is going on, and just enjoy the action for what it is. That's kind of how I play Tomb Raider. If the story stinks (or in this case is imcomprehensible), I just tune it out and focus on the action.

I know people will say I'm missing out, but I'm not willing to play 6 (7? 8?) different games, just so I can understand the story of 1.
If you're too lazy to do so, then maybe this isn't for you.

If you don't have money to buy the games/consoles, just watch the story summarized. There's several 30+ minute videos explaining the story. I cannot comprehend this complaint.

Humdinger

If you're too lazy to do so, then maybe this isn't for you.

If you don't have money to buy the games/consoles, just watch the story summarized. There's several 30+ minute videos explaining the story. I cannot comprehend this complaint.

Lazy, lol.

Humdinger

The game is out Oct. 30th, in 3 days.

I placed a pre-order. I was considering buying the previous package (2.whatever) but I will wait for this one.

I'm picking up AC: Odyssey, too, and I will probably play that first.

Last edited:
Does the gameplay of these games hold up? I never played them but want to play KH3. Cant decide if it’s worth running through this collection or just watch breakdown videos

Edit:

I see this has already been covered. My bad.

Sounds kind of 50/50 on how enjoyable the early games still are. Now I really can’t decide

Last edited:
Top Bottom