• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS4) Kingdom Hearts - The Story So Far coming Oct. 30

AlexxKidd

c26550bce669ca24291bffa2b6c3cc85_310_KR.jpg

"In KINGDOM HEARTS - The Story So Far -, Keyblade wielders can relive the magical adventures of Sora, Donald Duck, Goofy and friends as they attempt to stop the Heartless invasion that threatens their universe. Fans will travel to iconic Disney worlds and join forces with beloved Disney and FINAL FANTASY® characters in order to fight back against the threat of darkness and bring back light to all worlds.

The compilation includes the following games:
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD Remastered cinematics)
  • KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep Final MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (HD Remastered cinematics)
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 FINAL CHAPTER PROLOGUE
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A fragmentary passage–
  • KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie)

Release Date: October 30th, 2018"

Cost: $39.99. Excellent pricing for anyone who hasn't jumped in so far, or hasn't yet picked up the other collections.

Last edited:

xion4360

So this is what you get alongside KH3 if you buy the all in one package from the store. (minus KH3)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You fools, Dunkey already covered this in only four minutes.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Today I realized that KH3 isn't out yet we already have nine KH games.

6nnoTkk.gif

I own the PS3 compilation that includes 1.5 and some of the side-games. Haven't played much of it yet.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Today I realized that KH3 isn't out yet we already have nine KH games.

In other news, Capcom has released five Street Fighter games since the series 1987 debut. I know this because I own the latest in the series, "Street Fighter 5."

Last edited:

Larxia

Still wondering why they don't want to bring this series to PC, we have tons of Disney Games, mostly all Final Fantasy games, but KH is a nope and remains a nope for some reason.

Akuza89

In other news, Capcom has released five Street Fighter games since the series 1987 debut. I know this because I own the latest in the series, "Street Fighter 5."

Erm... is this sarcasm or are you forgetting the 8 different games named "something street fight 2 something" or 3... or heck even 4 or 5!

Kingdom hearts has too many games that aren't 3 and it's upsetting okay! :messenger_loudly_crying:

It's a nice bundle if you don't already own the original ps4 releases, which I do thankfully, However it'd be nice to have them all in 1 I guess...

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I have never played a KH game. Is this worth picking up? What games should I avoid in this pack And how many gameplay hours is this package?

bigedole

I played 1 and 2 on ps2 back during their original release... I avoided all of the other side games and compilations but I'm actually seriously considering this given the price. Is there a recommended play order?

CuNi

Is his turning into another skyrim? I mean I'm not against collections but man the PS4 already had the 1.5 + 2.5 collection and the 2.8 Chapter. Why make another collection... Will we get yet another one when KH3 drops as "The complete story"!? Will the PS5 get a "Full Story so far remastered 3/1^4 collection"

So wait, before releasing their latest major entry in the franchise, they're finally release a FULL collection so that anyone who hasn't played or finished or had the occasion to play all the entries can?

I fucking love Square-Enix sometimes. Well I prefer their more sensed american counter-part at Eidos who always had these kind of pragmatic strategy (unlike Square's Final Fantasy franchise of which the price and milking have always been ridiculous).

That's by far the BEST video-game collection of these past years: complete, no bullshit missing or fragmented release (hum, hum...Capcom), minus the horribly ugly cover.

Kenpachii

Still wondering why they don't want to bring this series to PC, we have tons of Disney Games, mostly all Final Fantasy games, but KH is a nope and remains a nope for some reason.

It's a single player game, they don't fare well on PC i guess.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Probably a deal with Sony or something.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My question is why this collection is not releasing on Xbox? I'm pretty sure most Xbox users going to be new to KH series and KHIII is really not new comer friendly, you need play the previous games to know what going on with the story.

Breakage

Is this the entire series in one package? If it is, I will not be surprised if it ends up like the MGS Legacy Collection – expensive and hard to acquire.

Larxia

It's a single player game, they don't fare well on PC i guess.
What? Since when? There are as many single player games on PC than on consoles, I only play on PC and rarely play multiplayer games, not sure where you saw that. And the other Disney / Final fantasy games available on steam are single player games. Some people really think weird thing about PC gaming in general :pie_diana:

Probably a deal with Sony or something.
Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming to Xbox One.

The_Mike

What? Since when? There are as many single player games on PC than on consoles, I only play on PC and rarely play multiplayer games, not sure where you saw that. And the other Disney / Final fantasy games available on steam are single player games. Some people really think weird thing about PC gaming in general :pie_diana:

Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming to Xbox One.

I know, but they can still have an exclusive deal on the old games.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Ughhh. Kingdom Hearts 3 looks amazing, but I am dreading having to understand this much crap lore in order to make sense of the story.

Danjin44

Ughhh. Kingdom Hearts 3 looks amazing, but I am dreading having to understand this much crap lore in order to make sense of the story.
Just played all the games and you wont have any problem understanding the KHIII story. Again the KH games might have convoluted story but once you play all the games its not really hard to understand whats going with the story.

brap

Banned
Thought that The Story So Far was making a song for KH. Also you can by both these collections for about 40 bucks total. Not sure why they're even coming out with this.

The_Mike

I doubt it when those things happen we usually find out right away like that castlevania port coming exclusively to ps4. I think the problem is on Microsofts end

Maybe, but what could the problem be?

AlexxKidd

Thought that The Story So Far was making a song for KH. Also you can by both these collections for about 40 bucks total. Not sure why they're even coming out with this.

Digitally theyre definitely not that cheap. And if you bought them physically you'd have two seperate discs. This packages the entire collection on a single disc, which is probably how it should have been anyway.

Humdinger

I'm hoping we can halfway comprehend what's going on in KH3, without having played all that stuff. I'm not going to go through the trouble of playing it all, just so I can better appreciate the story in KH3. If the story is incomprehensible without it, I'll just go along with the story without knowing or really caring what the hell is going on, and just enjoy the action for what it is. That's kind of how I play Tomb Raider. If the story stinks (or in this case is imcomprehensible), I just tune it out and focus on the action.

I know people will say I'm missing out, but I'm not willing to play 6 (7? 8?) different games, just so I can understand the story of 1.

Danjin44

I'm hoping we can halfway comprehend what's going on in KH3, without having played all that stuff. I'm not going to go through the trouble of playing it all, just so I can better appreciate the story in KH3. If the story is incomprehensible without it, I'll just go along with the story without knowing or really caring what the hell is going on, and just enjoy the action for what it is. That's kind of how I play Tomb Raider. If the story stinks (or in this case is imcomprehensible), I just tune it out and focus on the action.

I know people will say I'm missing out, but I'm not willing to play 6 (7? 8?) different games, just so I can understand the story of 1.
Kingdom Hearts series is continues story, what do you expect? Honestly its refreshing to see a series doesn't butchered its entire story so it can be new comer friendly. If you are going to just want jump in middle of ongoing story and complain about not understanding the story, thats on you, not the game.

bitbydeath

I figured KH3 will do a catch-up vid at the beginning so people understand the relevant aspects of the story to KH3. At least that’s what I’m hoping for.

Humdinger

Kingdom Hearts series is continues story, what do you expect? Honestly its refreshing to see a series doesn't butchered its entire story so it can be new comer friendly. If you are going to just want jump in middle of ongoing story and complain about not understanding the story, thats on you, not the game.

Hey, you're supposed to be the nicest guy on the forum. What's up. I'm not complaining about not understanding the story. I'm just saying I'm not going to go to the trouble of playing 6 to 8 games, just so I can comprehend the story of 1 game. That doesn't compute, to me. I've got lots of games to play, I don't need to add a stack of KH games from 5 to 10 years ago to the stack, just so I can better understand the complex and intricate and no doubt Shakespearean narrative of the KH saga. Playing a Disney-inspired videogame shouldn't require that much work. It shouldn't be work at all. If they want to give newcomers an incomprehensible story, er, okay, that's an interesting marketing choice. Not a great way to win new fans to the series. But if they do, I'll make what sense of it I can and ignore the rest. I can enjoy a game without understanding all the backstories and deeper motivations of the characters.

I figured KH3 will do a catch-up vid at the beginning so people understand the relevant aspects of the story to KH3. At least that’s what I’m hoping for.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, too.

Danjin44

Hey, you're supposed to be the nicest guy on the forum. What's up. I'm not complaining about not understanding the story. I'm just saying I'm not going to go to the trouble of playing 6 to 8 games, just so I can comprehend the story of 1 game. That doesn't compute, to me. I've got lots of games to play, I don't need to add a stack of KH games from 5 to 10 years ago to the stack, just so I can better understand the complex and intricate and no doubt Shakespearean narrative of the KH saga. Playing a Disney-inspired videogame shouldn't require that much work. It shouldn't be work at all. If they want to give newcomers an incomprehensible story, er, okay, that's an interesting marketing choice. Not a great way to win new fans to the series. But if they do, I'll make what sense of it I can and ignore the rest. I can enjoy a game without understanding all the backstories and deeper motivations of the characters.
Let me ask you this. Would you honestly recommend Yakuza 6 to someone who hasn't played any other Yakuza games? Like or not KH is continues story so yes going have hard time understanding the story of KHIII if you haven't played the pervious games. The trailers alone showed characters like Aqua and Vanitas which you wont know who they are unless you played Birth By Sleep. If you really cant play the pervious games I recommend at very least watch detail story of pervious games on YouTube.

Larxia

Honestly you don't need to play EVERYTHING to know the most important stuff, if you play 1, 2 and birth by sleep you will have the main stuff and I'm pretty sure it will be enough to follow KH 3 without being completely lost. And 2 and Birth by sleep are incredible games, still today, extremely fun. KH 1 didn't age as good in my opinion, but 2 and birth by sleep are still really worth playing even today, ton of fun.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Whether you play all the games or not you're probably not gonna understand the story anyway :messenger_tongue:

xwez

Banned
My question is why this collection is not releasing on Xbox? I'm pretty sure most Xbox users going to be new to KH series and KHIII is really not new comer friendly, you need play the previous games to know what going on with the story.

This is a very good question. I mean what's the point of releasing this, since Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is quite literally the exact same thing as this collection is. It's not like you can't buy both of the aforementioned games separately, as they're still in being sold in all major retail stores. Would have made perfect sense to release this particular collection on X1 since there's no games on it, but they're getting KH3.

KH3 needs a decent on-ramp for new players, even if its just some optional animated comic or something. "Play all 9 of the previous games, which aren't very short and may not have aged all that well" is... hopefully not the only option. I get that its the continuation of an existing story, but Square walked themselves into this corner. Imagine how much of a disaster the MCU would have been if the individual movies were written like an indie, art studio byzantine mess.

Danjin44

KH3 needs a decent on-ramp for new players, even if its just some optional animated comic or something. "Play all 9 of the previous games, which aren't very short and may not have aged all that well" is... hopefully not the only option. I get that its the continuation of an existing story, but Square walked themselves into this corner. Imagine how much of a disaster the MCU would have been if the individual movies were written like an indie, art studio byzantine mess.
What do you mean by this exactly? It was wrong for SE to make KH continues story? I said this before, but its really refreshing to see a series not butchering its story for sake of being new comer friendly like Assassin's Creed did.

brap

Banned
There's only 5 games and everybody knew KHIII was coming out for years. That's on you.

Kagey K

Banned
What do you mean by this exactly? It was wrong for SE to make KH continues story? I said this before, but its really refreshing to see a series not butchering its story for sake of being new comer friendly like Assassin's Creed did.
I feel like Square did walk themselves into a bit of a corner by only offering KH3 on Xbox and none of the previous games. I have the remasters on PS3 but Xbox only gamers are expected to jump in at number 3 (10) and just go with it.

A Square rep even said it at E3. I can’t find a video of it right now, but he basically said, “You know the characters you’ll figure out who’s good and who’s bad very quickly”

There's only 5 games and everybody knew KHIII was coming out for years. That's on you.
It’s not on people to buy a different console and all the previous versions of the games in order to get the story. If you want people to support your story you need to make it accessible to them.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
It’s not on people to buy a different console and all the previous versions of the games in order to get the story. If you want people to support your story you need to make it accessible to them.
Sorry, I could've sworn the collections were released for xbox one. Really weird that it's not.

Kagey K

Banned
Sorry, I could've sworn the collections were released for xbox one. Really weird that it's not.

No problem, mistakes happen 😁 I do agree that it’s wierd that they have never ported it to Xbox and want people to jump in on the conclusion with no reference for what happened previously. It’d be like me telling you to only watch Deathly Hallows or Return of the King and you’ll figure out what’s going on.

I fear that it won’t sell well on Xbox and be another nail in the Japanese coffin for it, because they’ll dismiss it as people don’t want these games, not people would buy it if they could play it from the beginning.

There are many wrong lessons to be interpreted from the way this release has been handled.

Danjin44

I feel like Square did walk themselves into a bit of a corner by only offering KH3 on Xbox and none of the previous games.
That I agree. I don’t understand why SE is not releasing the collection on Xbox. Also another weird thing is PS4, Switch and PC got original Valkyria Chronicles but not Xbox even tho VC4 did releases on Xbox.

Kagey K

Banned
That I agree. I don’t understand why SE is not releasing the collection on Xbox. Also another weird thing is PS4, Switch and PC got original Valkyria Chronicles but not Xbox even tho VC4 did releases on Xbox.

VC4 sold nothing on Xbox in the UK. Like 7% of all sales of that game. Is it because Xbox hates those games? Or is it because they want you to jump in on part 4 and expect you to know what’s going on? Why would they ever expect even 1 sale when they never did anything to foster the community there,

TLZ

Banned
I don't understand why we have another collection coming when we already have 2 remasters on the PS4.

Danjin44

I don't understand why we have another collection coming when we already have 2 remasters on the PS4.
Because when 1.5 and 2.5 released 2.8 that included Birth by sleep fragment passage recently came out. With this collection includes all three.

Kagey K

Banned
This is what now? The 5th release on Ps consoles? The 3rd in 2 generations. 2 on PS4 one on PS3 and the originals on PS2.

Danjin44

This is what now? The 5th release on Ps consoles? The 3rd in 2 generations. 2 on PS4 one on PS3 and the originals on PS2.
The first collection was 1.5 which included KHFM, KH RE:Chain of Memories and KH 358/2 Days (as movie).
Then we got 2.5 which included KHIIFM, KH Birth By Sleep FM and KH RE:Coded (as movie).
Then later on we got 2.8 which includes KH DDD, KH 0.2 BBS A fragmentary Passege(whole new game using somewhat KHIII engine) and KH X back cover (new movie).

This collection we currently getting includes all three.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Still didn’t clarify for me. How many times has the series been released on Playstation?

Let’s just say 1 and 2 the real meat of these.

Top Bottom