• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3,PSP and Vita store death. What to buy to have on the download list. (RACE TO THE DEATH)

Emulator are more of a sure-fire way of preserving the games, PS3's won't last forever after all.
Personally, i think proper ports would be the best option. For example you can play Yakuza 4&5 on a PC or PS4 so i don't see much point of getting them for the PS3.

Even pure software can detoriate due to its enviroment. The perception that software is entirely infallible and everlasting isn't completely true. It decays as well albeit "differently".

Is there a chance that the physical media may get damaged or unusable? probably, sure. However, with the physical device and media I at least have some kind of assurance that its intangible (from the modern caveats of digital and online) and its state comes down to my responsibility. Albeit, I have to take the necessary steps in order to maintain it.

Anywho, been dragging too much off-topic already. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Susurrus

Having been a PS+ member and claimed every single game on every platform since Day 1, as well as mostly buying a bunch of other stuff, I think I'm pretty set.

That being said, for my Vita/PSTV I did pick up Ratchet & Clank Collection, Persona 4 Golden, Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate, and The 3rd Birthday (PSP). Vita physical game prices are insane these days.

OrionNebula

Pretty crazy how a lot of these games are still being sold at full price. Should be deep discounts for them.
I agree. I would go fucking nuts and consider titles I otherwise wouldn’t with a sale

Also, does this mean Uncharted Golden Abyss simply won’t be available anywhere for purchase come Aug this year?

It’s kinda tricky because we just don’t know what’s the plan for these older games.

Are they gonna drop all this on ps now to compete, in a way, with gamepass?

I’m trying to get exclusive games that will just ‘’disappear’’. Just got Rain and am considering Papo & Yo. But god damn those prices...

SegaShack

i remember when the Wii's Virtual console was closing down. And someone made a huge list like this...and i just kinda forgot to go on there and grab stuff. Thinking whatever, it will just come to Wii U virtual console or something.

what a fool i was.
Hey, but who knows when the Wii will stop letting you redownload titles. It's all a risk either way.

Haven't played them yet, but I got 2 and 3 in my backlog. Looking forward to given 'em a whirl. Been seeing and reading a lot of good things.

What's the deal with the Japanese version of the original?

Season 9 Eye Roll GIF by The Office

I guess as a gamer you need to only play on the newest of the newest. Anything older PS4 and PS5 is completely unplayable, right?

You can emulate PSP games on a toaster. I hope PS3 emulation will make similar strides. Vita is the biggest concern- nobody seems to care about it.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Vita is the biggest concern- nobody seems to care about it.
Its best game is playable on PC tho.
I agree. I would go fucking nuts and consider titles I otherwise wouldn’t with a sale

Also, does this mean Uncharted Golden Abyss simply won’t be available anywhere for purchase come Aug this year?

It’s kinda tricky because we just don’t know what’s the plan for these older games.

Are they gonna drop all this on ps now to compete, in a way, with gamepass?

I’m trying to get exclusive games that will just ‘’disappear’’. Just got Rain and am considering Papo & Yo. But god damn those prices...
Maybe Sony will do something with that patent...

Last edited:

OrionNebula

Maybe Sony will do something with that patent...
I was thinking the same
But honestly, I hate that period where we’re just unsure of the plan for these older games. And ps now isn’t the solution as far as I’m concerned. I like to have (or feel like I ‘’have’’) stuff outside of monthly subscriptions, call me crazy...

I’d like a clear message from sony on that topic, but I as far as clear communications go, I guess that ship has sailed a long time ago

Remaster is a bit better. (Done by Bluepoint). But not that much better as the PS2 game already had a stable framerate. I'd say for collecting purpose it's much better to buy the physical game on PS2.

Shadow of the colossus is much better on PS3. But obviously the best version is on Pro.

Shadow of the colossus PS2 (15/20fps), PS3 (30fps), PS4 (30fps), Pro (60fps).
Ps3 shadow messed up the gripping mechanic and that is reflected in peoples boss rush times. The game logic got messed up.

Either play it on OG hardware or play the remake. It's part of the reason Bluepoint wanted to give it another shot.

Mobile Suit Gooch

I was thinking the same
But honestly, I hate that period where we’re just unsure of the plan for these older games. And ps now isn’t the solution as far as I’m concerned. I like to have (or feel like I ‘’have’’) stuff outside of monthly subscriptions, call me crazy...

I’d like a clear message from sony on that topic, but I as far as clear communications go, I guess that ship has sailed a long time ago
Jim: Why would you play that, games look old.
Me: Well, make an emulator that would bring them to today's standards then?

I see two possible scenarios here

1) They really go through with this and shut things down, which makes Sony look like a Scumbags forcing people to PSNOW to play these games if you don't have them.

2) Sony has no intention of shutting the store down , they will incite a ton of digital PS3 and Vita sales then come back and say "We have heard you" and act like they are the Goat. This only makes them a dick.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Haven't played them yet, but I got 2 and 3 in my backlog. Looking forward to given 'em a whirl. Been seeing and reading a lot of good things.

What's the deal with the Japanese version of the original?

Season 9 Eye Roll GIF by The Office

I guess as a gamer you need to only play on the newest of the newest. Anything older PS4 and PS5 is completely unplayable, right?
Not the original version but Part 2 of Motorstorm, apparently the Jap version has all the DLC? (If my understanding is correct not sure..) talking of which I have yet to check out Motorstorm 3 and RC!

th4tguy

Even pure software can detoriate due to its enviroment. The perception that software is entirely infallible and everlasting isn't completely true. It decays as well albeit "differently".

Is there a chance that the physical media may get damaged or unusable? probably, sure. However, with the physical device and media I at least have some kind of assurance that its intangible (from the modern caveats of digital and online) and its state comes down to my responsibility. Albeit, I have to take the necessary steps in order to maintain it.

Anywho, been dragging too much off-topic already. Just my 2 cents.
What are you talking about? Digital software doesn’t degrade. Hardware storing it may degrade but through repetition, this shouldn’t be an issue. The more places where a digital copy exists, the more secure that item is never lost. You don’t degrade software by transferring, copying, or running it.

SegaShack

Typed this up in response to the thread that got locked where someone thought advocating for piracy was ok (LOL).

Backups are the only way to preserve games, both physical and digitally.

Morally people should purchase their games and if they chose to, can use homebrew tools to be able to back them up and restore them if they care about game preservation.

I'm CFW modifying my PS3 this week, with the intent of being able to play backups I made of the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS3 games I own.

I don't encourage people to not pay for games others worked on, that only harms the industry.

That being said, in a few months you literally don't have the ability to purchase these titles anymore, so its a difficult subject.

I know the Wii Store closed a long time ago, and those are tied to your console (no user accounts for Nintendo at that time). Even before the store closed my Wii with about 250 dollars in VC games died and there was nothing Nintendo could do to help me.

At this point in time you can still redownload your Wii games and PS3 games. The question is, for how long? And how long will game update servers still be hosted?

I think that although the Nintendo Wii shop wasn't a huge deal for many, this will change the way some people approach buying games digitally. It's all a ticking time bomb with these online services, but then again the same can be said of physical media, which will deteriorate over time.

There will be a time when people's expensive videogame collections are rendered worthless due to disc rot and the deterioration of circuit boards on cartridges.

Even hard drives have a limited shelf life (more limited than optical media and cartridges).

The whole topic is tricky.

What are you talking about? Digital software doesn’t degrade. Hardware storing it may degrade but through repetition, this shouldn’t be an issue. The more places where a digital copy exists, the more secure that item is never lost. You don’t degrade software by transferring, copying, or running it.
I think he's referring to random bit flips and such, which absolutely will result in altered or inoperable software. Granted...on a large enough scale it shouldn't be a problem, because even if one copy is corrupted you can just grab another, but it happens. It's why archival grade tape is still used to this day when long term storage is a requirement, all those random bit flips add up and anything else is liable to wind up spitting out junk data years down the line.

Paulistano

I was wondering how the ico remaster fares against the original. I want to buy it too. But should i look for the original disc or the remaster?

Ico is really good on PS3. The controls are identical, but the visuals are greatly improved over the original. It’s really possible that it was not touched up at all and just the act of moving it to PS3 is what improved it. You can pick up Ico independently from Shadow and doing so is cheaper(it’s like $10 to $15 stand-alone).

The Ico HD Remaster is based on the European PAL release of the PS2 so it's a little different from the US release.

Quasicat

The Ico HD Remaster is based on the European PAL release of the PS2 so it's a little different from the US release.

That’s really cool! I played a little bit on PS2, but really got into it when it was remastered. As for Shadow, the PS2 version really put me off because of the lousy frame rate. I liked it on PS3, but the moment they announced it on PS4, I knew I had to check it out.

TidusYuna

I'm bummed that I missed out on the Lost Dimension DLC for PS3 and Vita. Just hope none of the DLC was worth getting.

OrionNebula

I’ve made my peace with this.
If Playstation does not care for their legacy, why should I? Fuck it

Is this what people refer to as the denial phase? 😆

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

drotahorror

Amazon had 3 copies left of Pacific Rift so I re-purchased it...along with Resistance fall of man which I never brought, next thing I know someone tells me the Japanese version of Motorstorm is worth it, but I am not going to spend a huge amount of money just to get that copy...I am a fan....but not like I have all 3 games in my collection, I am interested in Motorstorm RC however....
What's different about the japanese version?

RAIDEN1

What's different about the japanese version?
Well appparently all the DLC (was there any I can't remember) is all on the disc from the get go...other than that no major differences in terms of what you get to use in game, frames per second et all....

drotahorror

Well appparently all the DLC (was there any I can't remember) is all on the disc from the get go...other than that no major differences in terms of what you get to use in game, frames per second et all....
MS1 or Pacific Rift? If the latter then I might look into that.

sublimit

Banned
I bought Topatoi the other day from the PS3 store.I remember i tried its demo a decade ago and really liked it but never bought it.It's a fun little game and at 6 euros the timing was right.
I also wanted to buy Sideway New York (another game i had tried its demo many years ago and loved it) but unfortunately it was delisted some 5 years ago.Its demo was still up though and i download it to forever remind me that some times it's best to not hesitate to buy something when you really like it.

Metnut

This is a great marketing move by Sony. Next, announce that due to fan demand the store will be open another 6 months. Repeat process every 6 months until sales stop.

BlackSandrock10

Neo Member
Backups are the only way to preserve games, both physical and digitally.

Morally people should purchase their games and if they chose to, can use homebrew tools to be able to back them up and restore them if they care about game preservation.

I'm CFW modifying my PS3 this week, with the intent of being able to play backups I made of the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS3 games I own.
Great minds think alike on that one! Just got a 1TB SSD for my PS3, backed up everything through the Backup Utility and went from that there! I gotta do my CFW this week!

schaft0620

I did write-ups for each platform and noted all of the PS1/PS2 classics that were going away as well as physical games that cost so much now it's better to just buy online. With the PSP you can get 95% of the games physically for $8-$10. Some of which you can even still buy sealed on Amazon. Will be useful if they close the store's ability to download in 3-5 years. It is a god damn nightmare to navigate these stores right now. I bought about $400 worth of stuff and my PS3 kept crashing at checkout. Many PSP games don't show when you search for them (but they are there). And there is no buy button on the PS3 store you just have to click an invisible button on the main page of the game.

If you collect games I can not recommend enough to buy PSP, there is nothing on the market right now that costs less and there are major exclusive titles from big IPs like SOCOM, Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter, MGS, Silent Hill, Killzone, Resistance and everything SIE Japan.

Last edited:

Agent X

That's interesting. I had heard for a while that publishers weren't allowed to change prices on PS Vita games on PS Store, unless they were cross-buy with PS4/PS5. Maybe this works because they submitted it as a permanent price change rather than a temporary discount.

BlakeofT

I regret not buying Chrono Cross the last time I saw it on sale. Also would like Alundra. How awesome would it be if they did a massive sale? Or better yet, what if they had Steam releases?!

Mobile Suit Gooch

I see two possible scenarios here

1) They really go through with this and shut things down, which makes Sony look like a Scumbags forcing people to PSNOW to play these games if you don't have them.

2) Sony has no intention of shutting the store down , they will incite a ton of digital PS3 and Vita sales then come back and say "We have heard you" and act like they are the Goat. This only makes them a dick.
So either way, they're dicks.

trikster40

Alright, here is the list of what I'm hoping to buy before the PS3 Store gets killed in July:
  • Blue Toad Murder Files
  • Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut Ultimate Edition
  • Dino Crisis (PSOne Classic)
  • Dino Crisis 2 (PSOne Classic)
  • Drakengard 3
  • Fatal Frame (PS2 Classic)
  • Fatal Frame II (PS2 Classic)
  • Fatal Frame III (PS2 Classic)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PSOne Classic)
  • Final Fantasy VIII (PSOne Classic)
  • Final Fantasy IX (PSOne Classic)
  • Front Mission 3 (PSOne Classic)
  • God Hand (PS2 Classic)
  • I Am Alive
  • Legend of Dragoon (PSOne Classic)
  • Linger in Shadows
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSOne Classic)
  • Pain
  • Parasite Eve (PSOne Classic)
  • Parasite Eve 2 (PSOne Classic)
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSOne Classic)
  • Persona 3: FES (PS2 Classic)
  • Persona 4 (PS2 Classic)
  • Puppeteer
  • Rain
  • Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
  • Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
  • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSOne Classic)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PSOne Classic)
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PSOne Classic)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 (PS2 Classic)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2 Classic)
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2 Classic)
  • Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith (PS2 Classic)
  • Silent Hill (PSOne Classic)
  • Super Rub 'a' Dub
  • The Last Guy
  • Tokyo Jungle
  • Xenogears (PSOne Classic)
That's at least $300 dollars worth of stuff and to be honest I'm not sure how am I going to get that much money 😅 (fuck)

Ugh don’t buy Pain or Super Rub a Dub. Everything has had my blessing. Is Folklore available digitally?

if you can only buy one game on there. Get Puppeteer. Man, that game is a hidden gem among hidden gems.

As for me, I’ve spent $300 just in DLC for games I already own. Don’t want to be locked out of 100% on my trophy lists!

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Remember whenever you inserted the UMD into your psp and a little movie plays in the video/games sections? Or it having the ability to install cfw and changing its XMB, boot up, installing emulators? The PSP was underrated. I might buy one.

Antwix

I'm about to mod my PS3. I feel im better off doing it this way than investing a bunch in games to wake up and hear the news that Sony will no longer support downloading your purchases for these platforms (which will happen at some point).
You should. It's super easy. I've had mine on cfw for a few years and when I heard the news, I just shrugged and said "whatever".

orborborb

here's the stuff I like that is exclusive or expensive or possibly the best version:
(this is the order in which I bought them)

Noby Noby Boy
Crash Commando
Nucleus (Bogdan Raczynski soundtrack)
Afterburner Climax (delisted)
Spelunker HD (+DLC levels, upcoming switch port of unknown quality)
Daytona USA (delisted)
Tokyo Jungle
Capcom Arcade Cabinet (much better than the new one, also on 360 but not sure if as good)
Under Defeat HD (also on 360 but not sure if as good)
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
Motorstorm DLC level packs
Motorstorm Pacific Rift DLC level packs
Motorstorm 3D 10 adapted levels
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Motorstorm RC
Demon's Souls
Sly Cooper 1
Sly Cooper 2
Sly Cooper 3
Sly Cooper 4
Sly Cooper Bentley's Hackpack
Gradius V (PS2)
Puppeteer
Suikoden I (PS1)
Suikoden II (PS1)
Breath of Fire IV (PS1)
Wild Arms 2 (PS1)
Xenogears (PS1)
Tomba! (PS1)
Tomba! 2 (PS1)
Silent Hill (PS1)
R-Type Delta (PS1) (delisted)
Einhander (PS1) (Japanese store)
Brightis (PS1) (Japanese store)
LSD (PS1) (Japanese store)
Adventures of Little Ralph (Japanese store)
Silent Bomber (Japanese store)
Modnation Racers (downloadable levels, now unavailable)
Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds (DLC courses)
Jak & Daxter HD
Grandia III (PS2)
Suikoden III (PS2)
Digger HD
Wolf of the Battlefield Commando 3 (also on 360 but not sure if as good)
1942 Joint Strike (also on 360 but not sure if as good)
Strider 2 (PS1)
Namco Museum 1-5 (PS1)
Thunderforce V (PS1) (Japanese Store)
Pixeljunk Sidescroller
Gravity Crash
Trash Panic
Blast Factor
Hot Shots Golf World Invitational
Super Rub a Dub ()
Planet Minigolf (zen studios minigolf game)
Wakeboarding HD
MagicOrbz (breakout clone, iOS port of unknown quality)
Richochet HD (breakout clone)
Beat Sketcher
Suikoden IV (PS2)
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne (PS2, $50 remake of unknown quality)
Polar Panic (pengo clone)
Pixeljunk Racers 2nd Lap

also two of my favorite PS2 games though not super expensive ones are available but only in the EU store
Maximo vs Army of Zin
Virtua Fighter 4 EVO

and there's literally 800 more PSOne games in the japanese store many of which could be difficult to acquire legally any other way

to find all the PSOne games in the US store look at wikipedia's list and search "PSOne", the PS1 classics category in the store filter excludes MORE THAN HALF the games

Last edited:
I did write-ups for each platform and noted all of the PS1/PS2 classics that were going away as well as physical games that cost so much now it's better to just buy online. With the PSP you can get 95% of the games physically for $8-$10. Some of which you can even still buy sealed on Amazon. Will be useful if they close the store's ability to download in 3-5 years. It is a god damn nightmare to navigate these stores right now. I bought about $400 worth of stuff and my PS3 kept crashing at checkout. Many PSP games don't show when you search for them (but they are there). And there is no buy button on the PS3 store you just have to click an invisible button on the main page of the game.

If you collect games I can not recommend enough to buy PSP, there is nothing on the market right now that costs less and there are major exclusive titles from big IPs like SOCOM, Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter, MGS, Silent Hill, Killzone, Resistance and everything SIE Japan.

Cool. Not trying to needle you on an arduous task, but there are some more worthy of inclusion, like Zanac X Zanac.

Top Bottom