• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3,PSP and Vita store death. What to buy to have on the download list. (RACE TO THE DEATH)

Miles708

Pick up = buy. If you own, say, Skyrim, but haven’t bought the expansion packs, you better buy them if you want them.
lmao sorry, your post was clear, i've quoted the wrong message by mistake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is the message i wanted to quote:

If you set up a Japanese PSN account, and if you jump a couple hoops, you can get Silent Hill 4: The Room for the PS3.

You mean get Silent Hill 4 on PSN for free?
If not, and since it exists as an actual retail product, why would anyone go for the PSN route and risk it being not being able to download it in the future?

Last edited:
Shutting down a digital distribution client in this day and age when you're not going bankrupt is a cunt move.

Time to fire up the seedbox and commit 30TB of uploads of vita titles to help with Vita being date-raped by Sony. What a bunch of dicks. Can't believe I spent hundreds of dollars on digital distribution for Vita.
--Scrap that, didn't realize you can still download the titles you purchased--

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If there’s a gun to my head and I have to buy something before the store dies it’s MGS4 because I’m good with physical games, if you’re digital like psp go than yeah.

lmao sorry, your post was clear, i've quoted the wrong message by mistake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is the message i wanted to quote:

You mean get Silent Hill 4 on PSN for free?
If not, and since it exists as an actual retail product, why would anyone go for the PSN route and risk it being not being able to download it in the future?
For free? What? And if you want it for the PS3, then yes.

Perrott

Gold Member
Alright, here is the list of what I'm hoping to buy before the PS3 Store gets killed in July:
  • Blue Toad Murder Files
  • Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut Ultimate Edition
  • Dino Crisis (PSOne Classic)
  • Dino Crisis 2 (PSOne Classic)
  • Drakengard 3
  • Fatal Frame (PS2 Classic)
  • Fatal Frame II (PS2 Classic)
  • Fatal Frame III (PS2 Classic)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PSOne Classic)
  • Final Fantasy VIII (PSOne Classic)
  • Final Fantasy IX (PSOne Classic)
  • Front Mission 3 (PSOne Classic)
  • God Hand (PS2 Classic)
  • I Am Alive
  • Legend of Dragoon (PSOne Classic)
  • Linger in Shadows
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSOne Classic)
  • Pain
  • Parasite Eve (PSOne Classic)
  • Parasite Eve 2 (PSOne Classic)
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSOne Classic)
  • Persona 3: FES (PS2 Classic)
  • Persona 4 (PS2 Classic)
  • Puppeteer
  • Rain
  • Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
  • Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
  • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSOne Classic)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PSOne Classic)
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PSOne Classic)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 (PS2 Classic)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2 Classic)
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2 Classic)
  • Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith (PS2 Classic)
  • Silent Hill (PSOne Classic)
  • Super Rub 'a' Dub
  • The Last Guy
  • Tokyo Jungle
  • Xenogears (PSOne Classic)
That's at least $300 dollars worth of stuff and to be honest I'm not sure how am I going to get that much money 😅 (fuck)

Tommi84

How are the jak, ratchet, and sly games on vita? I’m more likely to play them that way
Sly games plays great. Super fluid, no issues.

Jak is...serviceable to say the best. Jak 1 is ~20fps game in like 80% of the time and it's a big difference when played on ps3/ps4. Jak 2 is sub 20 in open world areas. Can't recommend if you can play them somewhere else

RAIDEN1

God I miss this franchise. Apocalypse is still so exhilarating to play.
Amazon had 3 copies left of Pacific Rift so I re-purchased it...along with Resistance fall of man which I never brought, next thing I know someone tells me the Japanese version of Motorstorm is worth it, but I am not going to spend a huge amount of money just to get that copy...I am a fan....but not like I have all 3 games in my collection, I am interested in Motorstorm RC however....

Isn't the moral of this whole mess to avoid digital, unless you have no other option?

EDIT: I was sure that SH4 was available physical on ps3. Apparently i was wrong, my apologies
Ah I see, yeah it's a Japanese digital exclusive, so it's either buy the rarer PS2 disc or buy it off GOG if you have a PC. I guess I should've explained "jump through some hoops more." You need to buy a Japanese PSN gift card off Playasia, then navigate the Japan store to redeem it, then find the game and buy it.

I'm about to mod my PS3. I feel im better off doing it this way than investing a bunch in games to wake up and hear the news that Sony will no longer support downloading your purchases for these platforms (which will happen at some point).
Not just that...I'd rather not reward shitty anti-consumer moves like this by throwing more money at them. People should absolutely buy and preserve niche titles that haven't already gotten that needed attention...but buying games just to have them in your download list that could still disappear at any time (especially those that can be purchased physically)? Nawh.

If Sony doesn't want me to occasionally buy old PSP / PS3 / Vita titles from them then I simply won't...but they can't complain when I go out to sea instead.

EDMIX

People should absolutely buy and preserve niche titles

? ok..but they can do that physically instead of digitally, I'd argue this is the very reason one should buy physical over digital in the first place if they care that badly.

So who knows if when they will stop allowing re-downloads, or if they will even stop that function.

The fact that they are even confirming you can re-download tells me they don't have plans right away if they ever do of turning that feature off. When the Wii store was closing, they told people ahead of time that they would turn that feature off (don't know what came about that tbh)

So if someone has a 2TB and wants to go ham on some old school games, they likely can put a shit load of games on there and barely fill it up. I have a 1TB and the full list I listed is all on the system with tons of room left and I even left out big PS3 games i have on the HDD currently. So I don't really think this is a "preserve" type situation as many of the games on PSN exist else where in some form and existed else where prior to PS3 anyway.

If Sony doesn't want me to occasionally buy old PSP / PS3 / Vita titles

I don't think they put fox die on any of the systems so you very much can still buy physical games to play on PS3, Vita, PSP etc still.

How are the jak, ratchet, and sly games on vita? I’m more likely to play them that way
Jak is awful on Vita with a unstable 20fps framerate (yep you read it right). It's awesome on PS3 (crossplay with Vita at locked 60fps). Do not buy it for Vita, buy it for PS3 (which has the best version, even better than PS4 classic).

EDMIX

buy it for PS3 (which has the best version, even better than PS4 classic).

Oh shit!!! Really? I didn't know this. Good looking out. I wanted to get that PS4 version, now I'm just going to keep my PS3 version lol

The PS4 version of FFX I think still has that weird audio bug so I ended up getting a used special edition Steelcase version for PS3. Or like how garbage the Silent Hill HD collection is lol Lots of times is on a game by game basis and its good to know what is a legit version to buy or not as the latest version isn't always going to be the "best" version.

? ok..but they can do that physically instead of digitally,
Not if the title is digital only. You are aware that something like a couple of thousand digital only releases are going to be lost when Sony does this, right? You can't preserve physical copies that don't exist.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
As many of you know the PlayStation store for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and Playstation Vita is going to be ending soon

PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita on August 27th 2021

PSP July 2nd 2021

The download list will remain so you can re-download games purchased, simply the store will be closing.

The majority of the games that I own for PSP happen to be physical but here is the list of the PlayStation 3 games overtime I purchased either because I did not have the original PlayStation 1 or 2 copy or simply just wanted better load times.

PS2

SSX
Jak 1-3
God of War collection
Fatal Frame 1-3
Max Payne 1
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Devil May Cry collection
Zone Of Enders Collection
Bully
GTA III
Persona 3 and 4 (I can't stress enough to pick up theses gems of you have a PS3)
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
SMT Nocturne
SoTC and Ico

PS1

Twisted Metal
Klonoa
Persona 2
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Chrono cross
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 7,8,9
Vagrant story
Legend of Mana
Dino Crisis 1 and 2

The rest lol

Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 2
Geometry Wars
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
et Set Radio
Yakuza 4 and 5
Borderlands 2
Uncharted 3
God of War Ascension
Echochrome
Siren blood curse
The last guy
Catherine
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia dawn of the new world
Mega Man 9

Does anybody have any suggestions on what games people probably should purchase because of their Rarity on the physical front like Persona 3 or 4?

Don't be shy about giving some solid reasons like a link to some outrageous eBay prices for Playstation One classics lol

smh, they don't give a fuck around Ebay, its not even new ^

The Fatal Frame collection along side the OG Silent Hill series and Clock Tower etc is a solid reason to purchase a PS3 just to run and buy those games. The death of the store means these survival horror greats will be lost.

What a shame and a reason why I'm getting A PS3 ASAP.

SegaShack

Not just that...I'd rather not reward shitty anti-consumer moves like this by throwing more money at them. People should absolutely buy and preserve niche titles that haven't already gotten that needed attention...but buying games just to have them in your download list that could still disappear at any time (especially those that can be purchased physically)? Nawh.

If Sony doesn't want me to occasionally buy old PSP / PS3 / Vita titles from them then I simply won't...but they can't complain when I go out to sea instead.
I absolutely agree. Many are splurging now but it's only a matter of time before you cant even download your purchases. Digital just isn't worth it.

I only own one digital game, Tokyo Jungle, that isn’t avaialable already on PS5. For instance GTA trilogy is also on PS5. It plays exactly the same lol but it is there.

I am glad for all this making me get my PS3 out and playing again. Good thing about physical media is you can play all you PS1 games on it too.

Naked Lunch

? ok..but they can do that physically instead of digitally, I'd argue this is the very reason one should buy physical over digital in the first place if they care that badly.
Gaia Seed goes for $500(!) on ebay for a disc copy. $5.99 on PSN.
Zanac X Zanac goes for $200+ on ebay. $5.99 on PSN.
House of the Dead 4 is on no other platform other than an arcade cab.

There are those and a couple other digital downloads where the PS3 store is the only option.

Seems kinda stupid to rush to buy something that they’re taking away. Surely somebody is archiving this stuff for future use?

OrionNebula

I’ve been locked out of the ps3 store for months. After reading online, turns out it was due to the 2-step verification process I put on the ps5. Once disabled, I went back and re-setted a new password. That did the trick

I’m trying to get a few things I don’t own physically, but some of the prices are a bit hard to swallow digitally in 2021

Still, I bought Persona 4 because there’s no reasonnable other way for me to play this (why no ports to ps4/5??), and after the stores close down it’ll be even worse

Also got Portal 2 because you gotta own Portal 2

I can’t seem to be able to purchase Folklore, unfortunately. Haven’t checked why but that kinda sucks

Are you saying SH4 is not available on the Western store fronts?

Edit: I saw your post. Looks like I'm heading to GoG or jumping through the loops. Sigh.
Yeah, sorry brother. As a big Silent Hill fan, my ignorant ass assumed everyone knew. Unless you own a PS2 and the original Silent Hill 4 disc, this is the only way to play the game without a PC.

Tbh, it did take me a half hour of frustration to get through, but the game runs perfectly and I'm glad that I did it. It's hard navigating the PS3 Japanese Store considering I don't speak the language, but there are plenty of guides online.

Speaking of which, there are also a lot of Japanese-exclusive digital-only games you have no access to if you do not own a good PC.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I was wondering how the ico remaster fares against the original. I want to buy it too. But should i look for the original disc or the remaster?

Fox Mulder

Oh shit!!! Really? I didn't know this. Good looking out. I wanted to get that PS4 version, now I'm just going to keep my PS3 version lol

The PS4 version of FFX I think still has that weird audio bug so I ended up getting a used special edition Steelcase version for PS3. Or like how garbage the Silent Hill HD collection is lol Lots of times is on a game by game basis and its good to know what is a legit version to buy or not as the latest version isn't always going to be the "best" version.

the ps4 versions of jak are just the ps2 classics releases they did with trophies added. The ps3 got better remasters.

i remember when the Wii's Virtual console was closing down. And someone made a huge list like this...and i just kinda forgot to go on there and grab stuff. Thinking whatever, it will just come to Wii U virtual console or something.

what a fool i was.

Quasicat

I was wondering how the ico remaster fares against the original. I want to buy it too. But should i look for the original disc or the remaster?
Ico is really good on PS3. The controls are identical, but the visuals are greatly improved over the original. It’s really possible that it was not touched up at all and just the act of moving it to PS3 is what improved it. You can pick up Ico independently from Shadow and doing so is cheaper(it’s like $10 to $15 stand-alone).

Ico is really good on PS3. The controls are identical, but the visuals are greatly improved over the original. It’s really possible that it was not touched up at all and just the act of moving it to PS3 is what improved it. You can pick up Ico independently from Shadow and doing so is cheaper(it’s like $10 to $15 stand-alone).
Yeah. As far as I know Ico on ps3 is definitive version. They did some texture work.

Shadow though is Garbo.

zcaa0g

Banned
Let all this be a lesson to the "digital only gaming is the future" people. The digital storefronts can all disappear one day.

Yet, I can still download and play the games I purchased on the PC platform, the MS console platform and Sony console platform. The world will end before MS or Sony does and given the insanity of the world right now, that's just barely an exaggeration.

Remaster is a bit better. (Done by Bluepoint). But not that much better as the PS2 game already had a stable framerate. I'd say for collecting purpose it's much better to buy the physical game on PS2.
Yeah. As far as I know Ico on ps3 is definitive version. They did some texture work.

Shadow though is Garbo.
Shadow of the colossus is much better on PS3. But obviously the best version is on Pro.

Shadow of the colossus PS2 (15/20fps), PS3 (30fps), PS4 (30fps), Pro (60fps).

Onironauta

Remaster is a bit better. (Done by Bluepoint). But not that much better as the PS2 game already had a stable framerate. I'd say for collecting purpose it's much better to buy the physical game on PS2.

Shadow of the colossus is much better on PS3. But obviously the best version is on Pro.

Shadow of the colossus PS2 (15/20fps), PS3 (30fps), PS4 (30fps), Pro (60fps).
No matter the framerate, i still prefer the HD remaster as the remake ruined the character designs and animations.

Last edited:
As many of you know the PlayStation store for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and Playstation Vita is going to be ending soon

PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita on August 27th 2021

PSP July 2nd 2021

The download list will remain so you can re-download games purchased, simply the store will be closing.

The majority of the games that I own for PSP happen to be physical but here is the list of the PlayStation 3 games overtime I purchased either because I did not have the original PlayStation 1 or 2 copy or simply just wanted better load times.

PS2

SSX
Jak 1-3
God of War collection
Fatal Frame 1-3
Max Payne 1
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Devil May Cry collection
Zone Of Enders Collection
Bully
GTA III
Persona 3 and 4 (I can't stress enough to pick up theses gems of you have a PS3)
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
SMT Nocturne
SoTC and Ico

PS1

Twisted Metal
Klonoa
Persona 2
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Chrono cross
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 7,8,9
Vagrant story
Legend of Mana
Dino Crisis 1 and 2

The rest lol

Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 2
Geometry Wars
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
et Set Radio
Yakuza 4 and 5
Borderlands 2
Uncharted 3
God of War Ascension
Echochrome
Siren blood curse
The last guy
Catherine
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia dawn of the new world
Mega Man 9

Does anybody have any suggestions on what games people probably should purchase because of their Rarity on the physical front like Persona 3 or 4?

Don't be shy about giving some solid reasons like a link to some outrageous eBay prices for Playstation One classics lol

smh, they don't give a fuck around Ebay, its not even new ^

Most of those games aren't even PS3 exclusive. Why in gods name you would want to play them on an outdated system is beyond me...
I am actually glad that such a large part of the PS3 library can be found elsewhere. Fuck exclusivity.

No Motorstorm fans here?
Haven't played them yet, but I got 2 and 3 in my backlog. Looking forward to given 'em a whirl. Been seeing and reading a lot of good things.

What's the deal with the Japanese version of the original?

Most of those games aren't even PS3 exclusive. Why in gods name you would want to play them on an outdated system is beyond me...
I am actually glad that such a large part of the PS3 library can be found elsewhere. Fuck exclusivity.
Season 9 Eye Roll GIF by The Office

I guess as a gamer you need to only play on the newest of the newest. Anything older PS4 and PS5 is completely unplayable, right?

Last edited:
I’ve been locked out of the ps3 store for months. After reading online, turns out it was due to the 2-step verification process I put on the ps5. Once disabled, I went back and re-setted a new password. That did the trick

I’m trying to get a few things I don’t own physically, but some of the prices are a bit hard to swallow digitally in 2021

Still, I bought Persona 4 because there’s no reasonnable other way for me to play this (why no ports to ps4/5??), and after the stores close down it’ll be even worse

Also got Portal 2 because you gotta own Portal 2

I can’t seem to be able to purchase Folklore, unfortunately. Haven’t checked why but that kinda sucks
Folklore is not available digitally (it has never being).

Orta

Banned
I don't want to wander too far from the thread subject but due to the upcoming store closure, if I jailbreak my fat ps3, in short, what are the obvious things I can do?

I wouldn’t mind picking up a few more titles in the PSN Store on the PS3, but I already got a backlog on my consoles and I am struggling with hard drive space on my PS3.

evanft

Ya'll are really gonna go ahead and list out a bunch of games available physically or on other platforms, huh?

Guilty_AI

Its a matter of preference I guess. I've noticed you alluded to the emulator as your choice. Personally, I prefer the original hardware.
Emulator are more of a sure-fire way of preserving the games, PS3's won't last forever after all.
Personally, i think proper ports would be the best option. For example you can play Yakuza 4&5 on a PC or PS4 so i don't see much point of getting them for the PS3.

Last edited:
Emulator are more of a sure-fire way of preserving the games, PS3's won't last forever after all.
Personally, i think proper ports would be the best option. For example you can play Yakuza 4&5 on a PC or PS4 so i don't see much point of getting them for the PS3.
Thing is...preservation isn't just about preserving the best versions of a game. Hell people go to great lengths to preserve objectively awful games, shit that nobody in their right mind would ever want to play. That's because it's about more than the games themselves, it's about the history. And yeah, the hardware is part of that history, and thankfully hardware can be repaired.

fatty

Anyone know when the last sale was on these older games? I’m guessing there won’t be another before July but I hope so.

Top Bottom