• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 or PS4??

Help me decide

• PS3

Votes: 82 48.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 89 52.0%

• Total voters
Chinese retro handhelds can play PS2 now, just get one of those. PS3/360 are the first "modern" consoles, most of the good games are available as remasters on PS4/PS5 (MGS4 is the only major exception I can think of).
When MGS collection volume 2 comes out with MGS4 included it will take the edge off not having backwards compatibility on ps5 but i wonder what chinese company konami hired to get it off ps3

Pidull

PlayStation 3 has an incredible library, but you'll want to play on a small HD TV and you better avoid any newer content because those frame rates are atrocious. If it's all you play, you'll get used to the poor performance surprisingly quick.

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. and thanks for the screenshots @Bojji You won't believe how difficult it's been to get a decent representation

Re PS5 - i'm kind of doing this on a budget as my free time is almost zero these days, so i'll kick myself if i sped 5 or 600 on a console and games and they just collect dust, i just thought it's time i try LoU and GoW3 etc
PS3 was the better generation imo. So many great games like the Resistance and Killzone series. Easy choice for me.

Radical_3d

The PS360 generation was the peak of gaming but most of it has been remade. Is the same playing Alan Wake of Mass Effect 2 today? Probably not. On the other hand even not being as impressive today as it was 25 years ago I prefer playing something like Halo 3 to whatever modern day gaming has to offer. So, are you off to the promised land? No, but on the other hand:
0xLPdw.gif

MilkyJoe

The PS360 generation was the peak of gaming but most of it has been remade. Is the same playing Alan Wake of Mass Effect 2 today? Probably not. On the other hand even not being as impressive today as it was 25 years ago I prefer playing something like Halo 3 to whatever modern day gaming has to offer. So, are you off to the promised land? No, but on the other hand:
0xLPdw.gif

I feel exactly the same, imagine modern remasters of all those games, would be perfect! I remember being shown ta screenshot in a magazine during PS2/OG era and being blown away

MV5BZTJmNjc3NmItY2E4NC00ZWIxLTk0ZDctMWQ3YWFmOWU1ZjAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU5ODY0ODc_._V1.jpg

ps3 tried to be something special and massively underdelivered (like... catastrophically), but it was a wild ride and i respect the attempt.
but damn is the ps3 super slim ugly and cheap.

ps3 scared sony so bad that the ps4 was as safe and boring as could be.
...but the ps4 controller was the first ps controller that felt good in my hands.

i choose ps3.

Even if you never played a single PS3 game on it you get free PS2/PS1 upscaling.

50c76f71b95075fab10eff9ab7a95ceb.gif

0 for 3, buddy.

PS3 needing to rely on older games from the PS1 and PS2 doesn't make that console good. Even if they upscale the games for PS1/PS2. Most of the games that were developed for PS3 just doesn't Interest me. PS3 is Sony worst console

So

Got You Win GIF by CBS

The actual score is 3 for 0

.... Buddy

Last edited:
The thing about the PS4 is that while it was technically better, the game design was a complete rehash of existing IPs on PS3. We gained a few new genres on PS4 like BRs but we lost the arcade racing, arcade sports, music games, etc genres. All in all, a major L for the ps4. That being said, PS4 is still much much better than PS5 which is by far the least creative and most boring gen in history from AAA.

TheGrat1

PS3 needing to rely on older games from the PS1 and PS2 doesn't make that console goodm Even if they upscale the games for PS1/PS2. Most of the games that were developed for PS3 just doesn't Interest me. PS3 is Sony worst console

So

Got You Win GIF by CBS

The actual score is 3 for 0

.... Buddy
I guess you just misunderstood the assignment then.

The OP asked if he should get a PS3 or a PS4. You responded PS2. I said 60 GB PS3 as it is objectively better than any dedicated PS2 and still answers the OP's question with an option that he asked for, a checkmate on your position that he should get a PS2 instead. German Hops got it. You, apparently, did not.

Imagine calling your opinion that the PS3's library is personally uninteresting a "checkmate." Words mean things, dude, you checkmated nothing.

I guess you just misunderstood the assignment then.

The OP asked if he should get a PS3 or a PS4. You responded PS2. I said 60 GB PS3 as it is objectively better than any dedicated PS2 and still answers the OP's question with an option that he asked for, a checkmate on your position that he should get a PS2 instead. German Hops got it. You, apparently, did not.

Imagine calling your opinion that the PS3's library is personally uninteresting a "checkmate." Words mean things, dude, you checkmated nothing.

BTW backward compatability doesn't count as a selling point for the PS3. The PS4 has the better library and had no backwards compatibility

The only downside to PS4 is the transfer of power to Sony Western Branch. By that time that started to happen, I started to game more on PC since more and more Japanese Third Parties were releasing on Steam. So I guess PC should be the correct answer? :p

So Checkmate Dude 🤔

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The PS4 was 84% known for Western games. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
50/50. PS3 didn't have a mainline Dragon Quest, a Final Fantasy that was actually liked, stuff like Persona 5 and Nier Automata becoming big, or the ultimate "PC port when?" game, Bloodborne.
Fuck, even RE7 and RE2 compared to RE5 and RE6, lol.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
50/50. PS3 didn't have a mainline Dragon Quest, a Final Fantasy that was actually liked, stuff like Persona 5 and Nier Automata becoming big, or the ultimate "PC port when?" game, Bloodborne.

You wouldn't have Bloodborne without DeSo. Nier's roots go back to the PS2 and were codified on PS3. Persona 5 released on PS3. Final Fantasy hasn't been good since the PSX. Also, 97% of smart people agree with my 84% figure about the PS4.

nial

Gold Member
You wouldn't have Bloodborne without DeSo. Nier's roots go back to the PS2 and were codified on PS3. Persona 5 released on PS3. Final Fantasy hasn't been good since the PSX. Also, 97% of smart people agree with my 84% figure about the PS4.
Nobody played P5 on PS3, and for FF, I kinda agree, but that's another matter.
That's not even going into Death Stranding (better than MGS4, and there's also MGS5 anyway), The Last Guardian (no Team Ico game on PS3), Gravity Rush 2 (Project Siren's only PS3 project was an americanized Siren remake), Astro Bot Rescue Mission (we couldn't even get an Ape Escape 4 on PS3), KH3 (series sucks as a whole, but then again nothing on PS3) Ace Combat 7 (6 was a X360 exclusive), DMC5 being a whole world better than 4 and DmC, Monster Hunter World which made the series popular in the West, the same that could be said for Yakuza 0, plus Yakuza 7 that was a good spin on the formula, Nioh 1 and 2 that were miles better than what? Ninja Gaiden 3?
You know it's the truth.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Nobody played P5 on PS3, and for FF, I kinda agree, but that's another matter.
That's not even going into Death Stranding (better than MGS4, and there's also MGS5 anyway), The Last Guardian (no Team Ico game on PS3), Gravity Rush 2 (Project Siren's only PS3 project was an americanized Siren remake), Astro Bot Rescue Mission (we couldn't even get an Ape Escape 4 on PS3), KH3 (series sucks as a whole, but then again nothing on PS3) Ace Combat 7 (6 was a X360 exclusive), DMC5 being a whole world better than 4 and DmC, Monster Hunter World which made the series popular in the West, the same that could be said for Yakuza 0, plus Yakuza 7 that was a good spin on the formula, Nioh 1 and 2 that were miles better than what? Ninja Gaiden 3?
You know it's the truth.

More people played P5 on PS3 than PS4.

Top Bottom