• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 and PSVita’s new firmware updates disable account creation (VGC)

kingfey

Banned

The PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation Vita have both received updates that disable the ability to create PSN accounts on the systems.

PlayStation 3 version 4.89 and PlayStation Vita version 3.74 have also removed several account management settings and now require a third-party device such as a smartphone in order to recover a device password for log-in.

Players looking to create an account on these systems will now have to do so via a smartphone or computer.

This comes as Sony is in the process of slowing shuttering services for the legacy systems. Last year the company faced backlash for plans to close the PS3 and PS Vita digital stores, a decision it later reversed.

Last year Sony removed the ability to purchase games using credit or debit cards on both systems, instead forcing players to top up their digital wallets using a computer, PS4 or PS5 system.

It’s likely that this is the next step in what will ultimately be the full closure of the PlatStation Store on both systems. However, a timeframe for doing so isn’t currently clear, especially following the backlash to the previous announcement.

While Sony appears to be putting more consideration on game preservation than it typically has in the past, the PlayStation Vita faces a unique issue. Due to the touch screen nature of the device, and the touch features on the back of the system, emulating and playing the games on other PlayStation platforms have proven awkward to port.

It’s telling that in the upcoming refresh of PlayStation Plus which will see games from the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 added to a backwards-compatible library, the PlayStation Vita is entirely omitted.

Quasicat

I have been up in the air about installing HEN on my PS3 Super Slim for awhile now. Eventually, I should just go for it as there is very little use for me to log into PSN.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is there a Vita homebrew scene? At this point I feel like I'll need to unlock my device for it to have any sort of future.

Agent X

It’s telling that in the upcoming refresh of PlayStation Plus which will see games from the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 added to a backwards-compatible library, the PlayStation Vita is entirely omitted.

That's probably because a large number of the most appealing games for PS Vita fall into one of the following two categories:

1. Games that were also released on PS3 and/or PS4
  2. Games that rely heavily on PS Vita hardware features such as touch screen, rear touch pad, or camera(s)
In the first case, they can simply use the existing PS3 or PS4 version of the game.

In the second case, there wouldn't be any easy way to "emulate" those games They'd have to be rewritten to work better with the control schemes that are available on PS4/PS5.

I mean...they basically are doing this for security at this point.
I fail to find a single reason why anyone would need or want to create a new PSN account on a PS3 in 2022. The console was replaced by the PS4 almost nine years ago, which was in turn replaced by the PS5 almost two years ago. Time to move on.
I'd love to know how many different PS3 are even used every month at this point.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have been up in the air about installing HEN on my PS3 Super Slim for awhile now. Eventually, I should just go for it as there is very little use for me to log into PSN.
with shit like this?

fuckem

MAtgS

Is there a Vita homebrew scene? At this point I feel like I'll need to unlock my device for it to have any sort of future.
Substantially so. Those shitty memorable cards only increased piracy in the end as players were desperate for cheaper alternatives.

Top Bottom