• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 games on the new PS+ to get Trophy support

no they don't

JfaWgsN.png
good-morning-looking-good.gif

DaGwaphics

Many of the PC PS1 emulators support netplay, I wonder if they'd ever consider adding that as well? Didn't Nintendo do that with some of the NES/SNES games they did?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
In a quick Yes/No answer will we see any of these Playstation one games on the service?

Broken Sword
Doom
Final Doom
Project Overkill
Loaded
Wipeout
G-Police
Metal Gear Solid
Einhander
Ridge Racer
Rage Racer
Ridge Racer type 4
Alien Trilogy
Ace Combats (no chance) :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Life force Tenka
Disruptor
Driver 1+2
Krazy Ivan

If none of these games can make it then whats the damn point. These games made the Playstation one what it was in the first place.

If they make it over, I'd sub yesterday.

Faithless83

Banned
There won't be Vita games, for the same reason the Vita TV flopped. Any game that used the back screen or the touch screen on Vita was made incompatible with TV, despite the Dual Shock 4 and Dual Sense having a touch pad.
Vita tv was supposed to work with ps3 controllers. We have touchpads now on both ps4 and ps5.
Apart from games that actively used ONLY the rear touchpad, everything else is compatible.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh boy. Dunno if it'll grab me personally but I know a few people who will be absolutely hooked on old game trophies. Great move if they do it across the board.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Vita tv was supposed to work with ps3 controllers. We have touchpads now on both ps4 and ps5.
Apart from games that actively used ONLY the rear touchpad, everything else is compatible.
Huh? Some of the biggest Vita games weren’t compatible. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Lumines: Electronic Symphony,Tearaway, Gravity Rush,Borderlands 2, The Sly Collection, etc.

Faithless83

Banned
Huh? Some of the biggest Vita games weren’t compatible. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Lumines: Electronic Symphony,Tearaway, Gravity Rush,Borderlands 2, The Sly Collection, etc.
Due to the lack of touchpad on PS3 controllers. A lot of these games are first party ones. Don't forget we are talking emulation here, it's quite easy to implement a solution and on PSTV you can use the ps4 touchpad.

The rear touchpad may be more challenging, but again, emulation can bring options to it on a game by game basis.

jorgejjvr

for me its a way to maximize the game which is not cheap to begin with.

You clear the story and then if the trophies arent super super hard and present some challenge i´ll do them .
it always just seems like chores to me, if a game is good, it would have naturally and organically things for me to WANT to do. I remember finishing xeno 2, couldnt get enough, so I went to find all the optional bosses/enemies, and made sure to beat them all, like my own self made task, I didnt get any trophy, just fulfillment that i got that done

i just dont see a check box of random to do items to be of any fulfillment, but to each their own. I get what you meant, good perspective

Last edited:

dotnotbot

In a quick Yes/No answer will we see any of these Playstation one games on the service?

Broken Sword
Doom
Final Doom
Project Overkill
Loaded
Wipeout
G-Police
Metal Gear Solid
Einhander
Ridge Racer
Rage Racer
Ridge Racer type 4
Alien Trilogy
Ace Combats (no chance) :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Life force Tenka
Disruptor
Driver 1+2
Krazy Ivan

If none of these games can make it then whats the damn point. These games made the Playstation one what it was in the first place.

If they make it over, I'd sub yesterday.

Out of this list, the following ones are still available to buy on PS3/PSP/Vita:
Re-loaded (EU), no Loaded
G-police (EU)
Wipeout (US)
Metal Gear Solid (EU & US)
Einhander (JP only)
Ridge Racer Type 4 (US)
Driver 1 (EU)

So I would say at least those have a high chance of returning now.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
never understood why people are into trophies

For me the really interesting part is seeing what % of players did what.

When Elden Ring launched for example, knowing I was in the first like 2% of Steam players to get all the achievements was pretty cool.

Ev1L AuRoN

I want to get platinum in a 4K upscaled 60fps Metal Gear Solid.. 🤞
I replayed recently on the SwanStation core on Retroarch. With 4k60 and perspective corrected textures and nearest-neighbor textures. I like my PS1 games with crunchy textures.. xD
The game looked beautiful and faithful to the PS1 aesthetics.

dotnotbot

it always just seems like chores to me, if a game is good, it would have naturally and organically things for me to WANT to do. I remember finishing xeno 2, couldnt get enough, so I went to find all the optional bosses/enemies, and made sure to beat them all, like my own self made task, I didnt get any trophy, just fulfillment that i got that done

i just dont see a check box of random to do items to be of any fulfillment, but to each their own. I get what you meant, good perspective

Just don't play bad games 4Head. It's rare for me to not enjoy a game that I thought I would enjoy before buying, but if it does happen then my trophy addiction makes playing those games actually more enjoyable and bearable. Sometimes thanks to the trophies I discover that a game is actually good once you give it a fair chance and a lot of time. Like for example I enjoyed Metal Gear Survive, but if I didn't force myself to play through the single-player campaign which turned out to be just one giant extremely slow tutorial then I would have never known that, as reviews state it's almost the worst game ever.
But I'm also a guy who generally enjoys grinding in games so maybe I'm weird.

SALMORE

I'll be happy to catch all the apes again in original Ape Escape ! one the first PS1 games that i 100% along with Toy story 2 & the 1st Spyro 😁

jorgejjvr

Just don't play bad games 4Head. It's rare for me to not enjoy a game that I thought I would enjoy before buying, but if it does happen then my trophy addiction makes playing those games actually more enjoyable and bearable. Sometimes thanks to the trophies I discover that a game is actually good once you give it a fair chance and a lot of time. Like for example I enjoyed Metal Gear Survive, but if I didn't force myself to play through the single-player campaign which turned out to be just one giant extremely slow tutorial then I would have never known that, as reviews state it's almost the worst game ever.
But I'm also a guy who generally enjoys grinding in games so maybe I'm weird.
man sounds like torture and work, nope

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Out of this list, the following ones are still available to buy on PS3/PSP/Vita:
Re-loaded (EU), no Loaded
G-police (EU)
Wipeout (US)
Metal Gear Solid (EU & US)
Einhander (JP only)
Ridge Racer Type 4 (US)
Driver 1 (EU)

So I would say at least those have a high chance of returning now.
Oh man, if they can bring those JP and US ones over at least, i'll bite.

Sneeder

Banned
Retroarch has achievements for classic games. This isn’t a big deal lol
not even the same thing, the retroarch achievements are incredibly iffy and requires you to have a certain version of the game to even activate them, and there's no ps1, psp, ps2 achievements, there's only cheevos for retro consoles

Drew1440

Curious to see how they look on a modern TV, if they implement any upscaling and sub-pixel geometry that BeetlePSX and Duckstation offer.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Cause they couldn't figure out how to earn money on those classics. Right now they will have steady income from PS+ Premium.
It's also the first time they created separate team dedicated to game preservation.
I don't think that'll cut it for a Premium service in which the top tier is literally just for that.
Games will have to added every month and two or three won't be acceptable
PSone/PS2/PS3 will need to each have a selection of games each Month

Last edited:
Over the course of seven years. That's not even two posts a day. Welcome aboard though, should probably hone your ability to detect sarcasm for your big stay!
Detect sarcasm? In my day youd enter /s for sarcasm. Thanks for welcoming me aboard /s 🤣.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

never understood why people are into trophies
Because I'd always have the knobend in the playground saying he completed a game and fully bullshitted, now I can check and have 400% ammo to bully him /jk

Just good to know you completed everything in the game, I had friends write guides on completing FFVII, VIII, IX, X 100% back when we were 8 - 15 because all they would do is keep going though the game making sure they 100% everything and all secrets its crazy, this way it just sort of lets you know that you have or atleast the major things.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Retroarch has achievements for classic games. This isn’t a big deal lol

Yes. But those are not only unofficial, they also are very much in a legal gray area (depending on how you set up the emulation and whether you managed to get a PC and utliize it to use your physical discs and dumped your own personal cartridges).

Now we have a legal, easy, and official way to earn trophies/achievements in classic games. Also RetroAchievements 9 times out of 10 have worst trophy lists than the average Gears of War games. Horribly grindy, painful, and just not fun to go for the majority of the time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I want to get platinum in a 4K upscaled 60fps Metal Gear Solid.. 🤞
PS4 barely reached 900p with the PS2 classics.
You'll be lucky if you get 1440p30fps unless the game was already 60fps

Although as they seem to have separated those from the PS4 PS2 classics as they are included on the list as PS4 games
Maybe the the emulator is better this time?

Last edited:

dotnotbot

PS4 barely reached 900p with the PS2 classics.
You'll be lucky if you get 1440p30fps unless the game was already 60fps

Although as they seem to have separated those from the PS4 PS2 classics as they are included on the list as PS4 games
Maybe the the emulator is better this time?

It seems like it, they're listing PS2 games as PS4 'remasters' now. Maybe they'll use that patent on replacing textures with higher quality ones on the fly during emulation.

PS2 classics were doubling the original resolution in each axis (and also applying AA and some dithering to smooth out color banding). Considering that emulation relies heavily on the CPU and how much powerful PS5's CPU is compared to PS4, 4x resolution should be possible on PS5.

Agent X

I sure hope so. I've got the original disc, which I've played on PS1 and PS2. I've also played the downloadable version on PS3, PSP, PS Vita, and PSTV, using the saved game data that I carried over from PS1. PS4 is the only Sony system that I own, that I haven't played this game on. (I don't own a PS5 yet.) If they can bring this game to PS4 and PS5, then it would be simply amazing!

For what it's worth, Lumines: Electronic Symphony is compatible with PSTV. Touch screen support is minimal, and you can click L3 to bring up an onscreen pointer for those occasions when a "screen tap" is needed.

sachos

I hope this doesnt take too much time for them to implement, otherwise it will make adding new games to the service waaay slower and potentially impossible for some? idk
What i really want to know is what "enhanced resolution and fps for SOME games" means, one would hope they can enhance every game just like you can on PC with stuff like DuckStation, PCSX2 or PPSSPP, there is no excuse for them not to, we know its possible and the PS5 hardware is more than enough.

TexMex

I hope this doesnt take too much time for them to implement, otherwise it will make adding new games to the service waaay slower and potentially impossible for some? idk
What i really want to know is what "enhanced resolution and fps for SOME games" means, one would hope they can enhance every game just like you can on PC with stuff like DuckStation, PCSX2 or PPSSPP, there is no excuse for them not to, we know its possible and the PS5 hardware is more than enough.

Probably just what it says. Some games will get resolution and FPS bumps and some won’t.

Banned
not even the same thing, the retroarch achievements are incredibly iffy and requires you to have a certain version of the game to even activate them, and there's no ps1, psp, ps2 achievements, there's only cheevos for retro consoles

👇

I mean... multiple emulators do this already, so this is the least you should expect from a premium subscription service

https://retroachievements.org/game/10675

https://retroachievements.org/game/11286

https://retroachievements.org/game/11321

you don't need special versions if games ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom