• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Exclusive RPG Shadow Madness From 1999 Being Re-Released This Month for PC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PS1 had some of the best RPGs of all time. Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, and many more all-time great RPGs released via the PS1. It also had some filler PRGs though, like Shadow Madness, which was released in 1999 as a PS1 exclusive. And it's been a PS1 exclusive ever since, but soon it will shed this exclusivity and come to PC. More specifically, it's coming to PC, via Steam, on February 15.

It's unclear what upgrades developer Crave Entertainment and publishers Piko Interactive and Bleem are making with the PC port, if any. It's also unclear how much it will cost, and there's no word if the game will come to other platforms.

As you may remember, Crave Entertainment was actually the publisher of the original game, with Craveyard Studios the original developer. Upon release, the game garnered mixed reviews, earning a 65 on GameRankings. In 2022, you won't find many talking about the PS1 exclusive, but perhaps the PC port will change this. And who knows, depending on how the PC port does, maybe a sequel will be made.

"All is definitely not well in the world of Arkose. The islands are falling into chaos caused by 'shadow madness,' a plague of unknown origin and dire consequence," reads an official pitch of the game. "Who can possibly help before it's too late? The disease has no known cure and has no warning symptoms, making the result particularly fearsome. It turns its victims into hideous creatures that bear no resemblance to their former selves. You are the only chance that Arkose has. With intricate battle scenarios involving magic, six heroes to choose from, and many hours of engrossing gameplay, you can't help but want to fight."

consoul

Well, this was unexpected. And largely unnecessary.

Still, options to play on more platforms with presumably better QoL are always welcome.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
One of a few I never bothered to play. June 1999 would make it months before FFVIII and the Dreamcast. I’ve seen this game several times. I just never bothered picking it up.

FFC32-E8-D-0175-4758-B50-D-05-AF579-C6-A8-E.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, this was unexpected. And largely unnecessary.

Still, options to play on more platforms with presumably better QoL are always welcome.
Its not unnecessary. Classic games being made available for players is never a bad thing

Pejo

This makes me wish that Indies were up to the PS1 graphic fidelity. I'd love to see some good old fashioned RPGs with pre-rendered (or hand drawn) backgrounds. They could be really breathtaking, even with the obvious resolution limitations.

Actually beat this game back in the day. Really liked it, though it definitely had its flaws. A remake would be awesome. Including the FPS mini game segments.

CamHostage

Interesting release. Not remastered in the slightest (in fact, they credit Bleem! in the developer roster, which is the old PS1 emulator now owned by this publisher Piko Entertainment, although I don't know if that means it's exactly the old, old emulator?,) so this isn't how I'd want to see PS1 games make a comeback (my preferred approach would be a console-accurate emulator with a number of enhancement toggles,) but it's something that otherwise would probably not have ever been brought back for sale.

f4ISUPc.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom