• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 mass production to start in second half of this year with 1.5M units, may launch in Q1 2023 according to Ming-Chi Kuo

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You act like playstation is the only company that had failed hardware.

No, you act like I said that only Sony have ever failed in the hardware department. Which I never did, obviously. Do you have their stock? Because that's like the only somewhat valid reason why you would be triggered like you are.

I apologise if you think I call an idiot.

Instead choosing to be an idiot?

What do you think? Ok, this discussion is pointless. Have a good day, sir.

SLB1904

Banned
No, you act like I said that only Sony have ever failed in the hardware department. Which I never did, obviously. Do you have their stock? Because that's like the only somewhat valid reason why you would be triggered like you are.

What do you think? Ok, this discussion is pointless. Have a good day, sir.
Being an idiot and choosing to be one is a different thing. Anyway have a nice day. And thanks for your concern

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Being an idiot and choosing to be one is a different thing. Anyway have a nice day. And thanks for your concern

Ah, okay. So if I say "why are you choosing to be a piece of shit name-calling cunt" it's okay because it's a different thing. Okay, got it. Will use is in the future.

chixdiggit

The problem is you will not get the raw power for the best experience wireless. How is even a debate?
Compare the quest native games with the same games running on a dedicated hardware. And let's not talk about the battery. Unless there some quantum technology Tony stark type of technology you will have that cable plugged all the time.
Look at the psvr2 specs. There is no way you'll be able to run AAA vr games with at best an hour battery. In fact you not only will have the weight of the battery on your head but it will be a dead battery.
Quest allows us to play native games AND PCVR games wired and wireless. Is the raw power of a GTX3080 not enough for you?
Battery is not an issue because I can either use a battery bank OR plug it in and use wired. But honestly I seldom play long enough to use either.

SLB1904

Banned
Quest allows us to play native games AND PCVR games wired and wireless. Is the raw power of a GTX3080 not enough for you?
Battery is not an issue because I can either use a battery bank OR plug it in and use wired. But honestly I seldom play long enough to use either.
Rtx 3080 makes no difference when the games you are playing are mobile looking games. If you get demanding games it will drain the battery faster the the others
Is not even only that. Battery with time will keep draining and hold less battery over time. Again I'm not against of people being able to chose wire or wireless. I hope in the future they release a wireless option.
But in my experience wired all the way. I'm not even bother with wireless. Psvr was terrible because of the puzzle cables.
Psvr2 only has one cable and with no battery it will be light weight. Also if you play alyx and Saint and sinners few hours is not enough. You spend a lot of time in those games

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Rtx 3080 makes no difference when the games you are playing are mobile looking games.
Do you think playing wirelessly turns Half Life Alyx, Lone Echo, Asgards Wrath, etc into having mobile graphics? I'm so confused on the point you are trying to make? A PS5 doesn't make a difference in mobile graphics either?

But in my experience wired all the way. I'm not even bother with wireless.
I mean that's your preference I guess. But in my experience as someone who has been doing VR since the first batch of DK1, my wired headsets now mostly go unused.
Also if you play alyx and Saint and sinners few hours is not enough. You spend a lot of time in those games
A few hours is enough for most people believe it or not. Small battery pack in my pocket works great and is unnoticeable on the rare occasions I have more than a few hours at a time to play uninterrupted.

hlm666

Rtx 3080 makes no difference when the games you are playing are mobile looking games. If you get demanding games it will drain the battery faster the the others
Using a quest 2 in airlink mode uses the pc for rendering and streams it to the quest so the battery lasts longer than actually playing native quest 2 games. This is what people are saying would be cool for ps5, it does the work and the headset just decodes the stream and sends control/movement data.

SLB1904

Banned
Do you think playing wirelessly turns Half Life Alyx, Lone Echo, Asgards Wrath, etc into having mobile graphics? I'm so confused on the point you are trying to make? A PS5 doesn't make a difference in mobile graphics either?

I mean that's your preference I guess. But in my experience as someone who has been doing VR since the first batch of DK1, my wired headsets now mostly go unused.

A few hours is enough for most people believe it or not. Small battery pack in my pocket works great and is unnoticeable on the rare occasions I have more than a few hours at a time to play uninterrupted.
My point is games that will push the graphics further will drain the battery faster.
These games aren't natives. Quest is stand alone having a battery makes sense.
Psvr2 headset is packed with loads of technology. High resolution, haptic feedback and all that mambo jambo will drain the battery fast and let's not talk about in keep the costs down. Even as it is people are speculating prices north of 500 quid(which honestly I doubt) at the end of the day once you are immersed in the games it will be barely an inconvenience. Just saying
I had I blast with my psvr even tho is probably the worst of the bunch. Psvr2 will be mint I have no doubts about it.
No one will care if has a cable or not. Just give us great games and great controls. That's what people care. In a perfect world you would have and light weight headset with internal battery, but ain't happening

Romulus

Surprised to see so many concerned about PC support.

It's a USB headset with standard tracking and standard controllers. It pretty much can't not work, regardless of what Sony does.

People even got the PSVR1 to work with all it's weird tech. This one will be no problem at all, Steam could even simply add support like they did with the Playstation controllers while Sony ignored it.

I'm thinking this is part of the reason Sony is so confident with sales. They'll probably just market it as the first headset that can play the best VR games from both pc/console.

Agreed, that's the most important thing. I have no doubt the PSVR2 will have both.

I honestly believe if those two are good enough the headset being wired won’t matter to most people. But I do agree that not having a wire is convenient. But then again I can see why it isn’t wireless.

I’m probably going to let them sell the tech to me first before deciding if it’s good or not. It doesn’t look like a bad product but I need to an actual demonstration first.

reksveks

I'm thinking this is part of the reason Sony is so confident with sales. They'll probably just market it as the first headset that can play the best VR games from both pc/console.
Only works if they are making a profit from PC users unless they just want to grow the VR market.

Only works if the headset is sold at a profit, which would make it $1000.
Not happening.

Romulus

Only works if the headset is sold at a profit, which would make it $1000.
Not happening.

Well, I think only a small percentage would buy it as a PCVR headset only. Most would buy it either with a PS5 or the intention to get a PS5 because it would be that first. The PC side would just be a bonus. A big bonus.

Last edited:
Well, I think only a small percentage would buy it as a PCVR headset only. Most would buy it either with a PS5 or the intention to get a PS5 because it would be that first. The PC side would just be a bonus. A big bonus.
It isnt a bonus if it was sold at a loss. What are you smoking?

Zeroing

Banned
MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh and SLB1904 SLB1904 should just agree to disagree and stop fighting.
Now kiss!

K7iD1XF.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh and SLB1904 SLB1904 should just agree to disagree and stop fighting.
Now kiss!

K7iD1XF.jpg

True, it's this time of the year. Pride is just around the corner. I'm sitting here sipping on some gay craft beer. Life is good.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Romulus

The console was and it was $499.
If psvr2 is LESS than $999, consider what is inside it, i would call it sold at a loss.

Most people expect a 499 price tag. A loss it is.

Do you have a parts list that it will cost sony for mass production at 1.5 million units to start? That's one of the biggest orders for VR hardware ever, surely it won't be near cost. What is the exact parts list and cost of each item? Do you know the exact launch price?

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
True, it's this time of the year. Pride is just around the corner. I'm sitting here sipping on some gay craft beer. Life is good.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
ahahah I did not knew you were Dutch!

Right now there are still people who don't know if they ever want VR, so it is a bad idea to launch at Christmas. Demand need to come first. This isn't like launching a console where you have an existing demand that sells itself.
Instead, launch later with a library of games, and once enough new people convinced, you would have enough supply to stock up for people's Christmas list that same year.

No point jumping the gun, PSVR2 will succeed if you do things right by it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Right now there are still people who don't know if they ever want VR, so it is a bad idea to launch at Christmas. Demand need to come first. This isn't like launching a console where you have an existing demand that sells itself.
Instead, launch later with a library of games, and once enough new people convinced, you would have enough supply to stock up for people's Christmas list that same year.

No point jumping the gun, PSVR2 will succeed if you do things right by it.

Yeah, no reason at all to rush PSVR2. Get it right first.

Top Bottom