• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Store on PS5 now lets you buy games even if you already own them through PS Plus or EA Play

MaKTaiL

This is a change I haven't seen anyone talk about yet and it's huge. It's been in effect for a month now. It's currently only available on PS5 (not on the app/website/PS4 yet). If you already have a game through PS Plus and EA Play you can now buy it if you want to keep the game forever. Lets say your PS Plus subscription is expiring next month and the game you are playing is currently at a discount on the store. You can now buy the game taking advantage of the deal and you get to keep it after the subscription expires.

This also works between PS Plus and EA Play games as well. When BF5 was included on PS Plus two months ago this change wasn't in effect yet so I could not claim it on PS Plus at the time because I already had it through EA Play. When Star Wars Squadrons came a month later they had already made the change on the store and now I could finally claim the game again on PS Plus. I just don't understand why Sony hasn't included this change on PS4/Website/App yet.

EDIT

So here is what it looks like on each platform if you have an active PS Plus subscription:

PS5:

FLHAh6o.jpg

PS4:

LK2U2jN.jpg

PC:

JF3wlfH.png

Last edited:
One thing that used to bother me on PS4 was buying a digital version of a game that you already own on disc, and then needing to download the whole thing again instead of being able to just stop using the disc. Anyone know if they ever solved that one?

It would be nice if every PS Plus version of a game that you already owned a retail copy of simply allowed you to start playing your game without the disc. You already paid for it, it would bring more value to PS Plus, and it would be a small amount of sliver lining when a game you already owned showed up on the service.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can xbox gamers play their gamepass games online without Live Gold? Keep laughing.
That isn't a technical limitation, that's just MS being greedy fucks. But they are at least slightly competent when it comes to technical aspect. Just to think that you couldn't buy games which you have on subscription, is embarrassing. Especially on the console, where people really want to own all stuff they are playing.

This gen certainly delivers on front, where there is so much ass-backwards technical shit, which would have been unacceptable in any other consumer product.

FranXico

That isn't a technical limitation, that's just MS being greedy fucks. But they are at least slightly competent when it comes to technical aspect. Just to think that you couldn't buy games which you have on subscription, is embarrassing. Especially on the console, where people really want to own all stuff they are playing.

This gen certainly delivers on front, where there is so much ass-backwards technical shit, which would have been unacceptable in any other consumer product.
Yes, this specific issue was Sony being inept, because they actually were losing money from that.

Can xbox gamers play their gamepass games online without Live Gold? Keep laughing.
It makes sense they'd have to verify a subscription or else you could download 100 games off gamepass for $1 then never renew and play offline indefinitely.

I think the Nintendo sub does an online check once weekly for the NES / SNES stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Reducing the frequency of online checks on Gamepass would be an improvement if your internet goes out for a night or something, but it doesn't make sense to do away with it entirely for a subscription.

FranXico

It makes sense they'd have to verify a subscription or else you could download 100 games off gamepass for $1 then never renew and play offline indefinitely.

I think the Nintendo sub does an online check once weekly for the NES / SNES stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Reducing the frequency of online checks on Gamepass would be an improvement if your internet goes out for a night or something, but it doesn't make sense to do away with it entirely for a subscription.
Yeah, DRM goes hand in hand with any subscription. PSNow also requires periodic server pings for the license.

That's not what I was referring to, though. I meant online multiplayer.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I mean, congrats? This should have been implemented years ago. I love my PS5, but Sony do drive me nuts with stuff like this sometimes.

Banned
It just said that you owned it already.

Honestly, pretty niche situation that you own the game and can beat it for free but still want to pay more money for it. I guess some people want to.

well if you have it over PS+ but it is on sale and you want to have it in your library just so you got it should you stop paying for PS+...
I never had this specific situation but I bet there are a few people out there

even worse PSNow. imagine you are doing a trial month or 2 week trials of PSNow and in that time a game you want is on sale but also in PSNow... I imagine that would be annoying as hell lol

Last edited:

skneogaf

I just got a ps5 and I've really unhappy with the way these things work.

I got god of war and bloodborne from the ps plus collection but I own better versions originally ie game of the year edition and I was so confused that I didn't have any dlc etc so I had to delete them then find my versions in the store and download them.

Plus I had to upload my ps4 saves to the cloud so I can download them on to my ps5.

I didn't have ps plus at first so I was having to use a USB stick at first! Lol

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Same shit on the Xbox Store, at least to some degree. You can buy a slightly upgraded edition of a game for the full price - for example I own Doom Eternal which I originally purchased on Xbox One and if I click in the wrong spot I can buy the “XSX” version for full price rather than the free upgrade.

I’ve also seen it with RDR2 where I can buy the full “regular” edition even though I own the special edition (which includes the regular version content).

Greedy as fuck that's why they charge $60 year for Xbox Live Gold subscription, then $1 extra for a year worth of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Also, you'll get 20% off games and 10% off DLCs for Xbox Game Pass and EA Play games. Yeah, they're greedy as fuck.... Didn't Sony increase there first party games to $70?

M1chl

Greedy as fuck that's why they charge $60 year for Xbox Live Gold subscription, then $1 extra for a year worth of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Also, you'll get 20% off games and 10% off DLCs for Xbox Game Pass and EA Play games. Yeah, they're greedy as fuck.... Didn't Sony increase there first party games to $70?
I also hate Sony's 80 EUR games, don't get me wrong, but I also don't like Xbox Live Gold, you can hate more things at once. It's good to let the hate flow through you ; )

ManaByte

Shh don't even bring up the rewards program and the free Xbox gift cards you can get from there.

RCU005

This is weird. Just yesterday I was actually looking at my PS+ games and realizing that I CANNOT buy them. So how do you do it? Can you only purchase uninstalled games fro your PS+ collection? The ones that I have installed, doesn't show my a 'Buy' option.

MaKTaiL

This is weird. Just yesterday I was actually looking at my PS+ games and realizing that I CANNOT buy them. So how do you do it? Can you only purchase uninstalled games fro your PS+ collection? The ones that I have installed, doesn't show my a 'Buy' option.
Are you on PS5? You have to access the store page to see the option to buy it, it won't show up at the main screen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox live turned console online gaming relevant than over the last 10 years Sony challenged them for best online console experience.

Tschumi

Shelf life of this thread is measured in TFLOPs muhah

---

TBH I don't have PS+ for the free games, just the discounts

Trogdor1123

It just said that you owned it already.

Honestly, pretty niche situation that you own the game and can beat it for free but still want to pay more money for it. I guess some people want to.
I thought it was a bit niche too but when I got my ps5 and the PlayStation plus collection had a few in it that had previously been on plus so I couldn't claim them.

Its nice they fixed it.

Tripolygon

Banned
If you could actually take just 2 minutes trying to do what you are claiming you would see it's not true.
Seriously?

PS5 Library. I would screenshot PS4 too but too lazy to go turn it on now. Same applies to PS Now games as well.

eY7Aggx.jpg

PC PS Store, yes I can add it to my Cart and purchase it but I don't want to double dip as I own it already on PC.

Q70VeYf.png

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Yeah, they did actually change this befor the PS5 launched although for some reason it didn't happen with all games. Perhaps they've had to change them all manually and it's just now that some people have started to notice.
Yea at first some games were having issues but over time I think they ironed out most of the issues.

Agent X

This has been available for almost a year now and it works on PS4 and Web store too not just PS5.

If you could actually take just 2 minutes trying to do what you are claiming you would see it's not true.

I'm going to side with Tripolygon Tripolygon on this one.

I (and others) also noticed that this was possible on PS4 about a year ago, much like the Push Square article said. I don't know about EA Play games, but it definitely works for PS Plus and PS Now games.

trikster40

You could always buy them when your subscription expires, so it’s a moot point. Honestly, why would I buy something when I currently play it on subscription?

MaKTaiL

Seriously?

PS5 Library. I would screenshot PS4 too but too lazy to go turn it on now. Same applies to PS Now games as well.

eY7Aggx.jpg

PC PS Store, yes I can add it to my Cart and purchase it but I don't want to double dip as I own it already on PC.

Q70VeYf.png
You don't have an active PS Plus subscription. Of course you can buy the game, lol.

M1chl

You could always buy them when your subscription expires, so it’s a moot point. Honestly, why would I buy something when I currently play it on subscription?
I don't know you like something, you buy it. At least that's how I roll : )

MaDBrute

Banned
I don't know you like something, you buy it. At least that's how I roll : )
You have 'bought' it, we payed Sony and they 'choose' the game, Sony gave money to Developer/publisher. I dont understand no free oppgrade, developers/publishers have been payed.

Top Bottom