• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Members in Asia Irate As Sony Wipes Discounts on Tier Upgrades, Demands Upfront Fee for Stacked Subs [UP: Sony fixes error]

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1337

Sounds good. And that's the point of sub services. Use what you see for cheap. I do Game Pass. Dirt cheap as well with the $1 promo. I'm not a collector or purist wanting to own my copies. I go the path of cheapest resistance. Buy on deal or wait for sub service.

The second I'm done with the game I move it to my external HDD if I think I might play it again later. But if I know I wont I delete it entirely off my internal SSD or external drives.

Personally I just don't have the time to go back to games that I have either already played or those that didn't grab my attention within the first hour or two of playing, I pretty much delete them straight away. So I love subscription models that basically just throw games at me lol. Try them and move on if I don't like it, and ultimately ends up costing about the same as my netflix or amazon prime subscription (not something that will break the bank or make me feel bad for spending on it).

Last edited:

FritzJ92

This is a pointless conversation. Sony doesn’t want subscriptions to be successful. They know they are a key player and for it to be successful they have to make it happen.

Microsoft with their infinite pockets will win at the game of subscriptions.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I’m still confused by this, even after reading the Sony customer service response.

For Game Pass Ultimate you can buy 3 x $50/yr Gold and convert to 3yrs Ultimate for $1. That’s simple enough to understand.

How much PS+ Premium do you get if you bought 3 x $50/yr PS+?

Last edited:

ManaByte

How much PS+ Premium do you get if you bought 3 x $50 PS+?
You Lose Get Out GIF

Normal PS+ just coverts over to Essential. You can pay the difference to upgrade to Premium. If your sub is stacked from a discounted sub you must first pay the difference to convert to a full priced sub and then pay the upgrade cost to Premium.

Last edited:
I’m still confused by this, even after reading the Sony customer service response.

For Game Pass Ultimate you can buy 3 x $50/yr Gold and convert to 3yrs Ultimate for $1. That’s simple enough to understand.

To upgrade you pay the difference between what you paid and the full price of PS+. I think it's $60 a year, so if you got 50x3 then you owe them $10x3. Then on top of that, pay the fee to upgrade to Essential or Premium that everyone else does. Also, you have to convert any stacked PS+ all at once for the entire duration you're stacked. You can't buy 1 month.

I think Essential is $60 a year. So that would be $60x3 + $30 to convert to tier 2. $210. .... maybe.
I think Premium is uh $120 yearly. So $120x3 + 30 to get to tier 3. $390. .... maybe.

I can't quite tell.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If that Hong Kong gamer reddit thread is true for everyone on launch day, the price of premium for someone who stocked up on 3x$50 ($10 cheaper than $60 standard) will be one of the following:

1. You got the PS+ deals direct from Sony or third party seller online which is trackable as a deal price. You pay $30 (3x$10 top up money) and then going forward you pay for the new tier. So even if you scored a great deal on PS+ subs, Sony will retroactively charge you the difference as if you bought them at regular price. And going by the reddit thread, they want you t pay the top fee in full right away before upgrading to a new tier

2. You got the PS+ deals in a way which isn't trackable. So even though you paid cheaper than regular price, the system wouldn't know that so you wont have to pay a top up fee

Last edited:
So for 3 x $50/yr PS+ you only have to pay 3 x $10 to upgrade to PS+ Premium? Seems like a fair deal.
I don't know what the cost is to upgrade from PS+ to Premium. Is it 60, or 120? I can't tell on google.

You have that cost that everyone else does. Then multiply that x number of stacked years. Then add +$30.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't know what the cost is to upgrade from PS+ to Premium. Is it 60, or 120? I can't tell on google.

You have that cost that everyone else does. Then multiply that x number of stacked years. Then add +$30.
PS+ Premium is $120/year.
No. You have to lay 3 x $10 to top off your account to the full priced Essential sub, and THEN the upgrade fee to Premium.
So +$30 to get to 3yrs PS+ Basic? So what's the upgrade fee to get that to 3yrs of PS+ Premium?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Premium is $120 a year, so twice that of Essential.

If you bought PS+ for 33% off and stacked three years you’d need to pay $60 to upgrade your three year sub to the full priced Essential. It’s $20 a year since the 33% off PS+ sub was $40.

Then you’d need to pay $180 ($60 a year) to upgrade to a three year stacked Premium.

Total would be $240.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS+ Premium is $120/year.

So +$30 to get to PS+ Basic? So what's the upgrade fee to get that to 3yrs of PS+ Premium?
Ya.

The Premium price of $120 isn't even a factor as you will get charged that going forward no matter what.

But with three PS+ plans discounted $10 each ($30), Sony will charge you a $30 top up fee, so it makes it look like your discounted PS+ subs were actually bought at regular price as their systems dont want people upgrading to the higher tiers on a PS+ deal price. They'll let you upgrade only on PS+ subs recognized as regular price plans.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

If you bought PS+ for 33% off and stacked three years you’d need to pay $60 to upgrade your three year sub to the full priced Essential.

Then you’d need to pay $180 to upgrade to a three year stacked Premium.

Total would be $240.
Holy fucking shit, man.

That's a hard pill to swallow. But with PS+ Premium I'll get access to PC downloads and mobile streaming like Game Pass Ultimate, right?

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Imagine the time and money spent at Sony to calculate all this stuff, only to trigger a shit-storm that will most probably force them into back-pedaling.

Last edited:

Smoke6

Why so defensive y’all?
Why? Every other damn post is about getting some dude fired for making his company greedy for something y’all didn’t read up on or hoped for to happen and it didn’t!

You don’t get Hulu ad free when you sub to the lowest tier, but if you upgrade you pay the different between the two!

But since folks went out there and plastered all over the innanet about stacking subs, this was the only way to go about making the money for the service like they intended!

Y’all asked for backwards compatibility and legacy games as of that shit was supposed to come free and they eat up thst costs as if they’re MS money involved and it’s not! So no matter what console you plan on going to, you’re gonna feel the bite one way or another as this is a business

Andodalf

Banned
The funniest part to me is Sony’s willingness to punish people for investing in their ecosystem long term who want to use their new service … and the cherry on top is some people defending it even though it fucks over people most likely to pay more money to Sony. Jimbo must be playing some 4D chess right now
they clearly don’t care about the service. it isn’t like xbox who wants to grow the service to grow it for the future, they just want this as some alt cash flow

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why? Every other damn post is about getting some dude fired for making his company greedy for something y’all didn’t read up on or hoped for to happen and it didn’t!

You don’t get Hulu ad free when you sub to the lowest tier, but if you upgrade you pay the different between the two!

But since folks went out there and plastered all over the innanet about stacking subs, this was the only way to go about making the money for the service like they intended!

Y’all asked for backwards compatibility and legacy games as of that shit was supposed to come free and they eat up thst costs as if they’re MS money involved and it’s not! So no matter what console you plan on going to, you’re gonna feel the bite one way or another as this is a business
Big difference between typical business and this issue is Sony trying to retroactively charge people top up money on things they already bought at a deal price where they are trying to get gamers to pay top up fees.

If Sony (or any company) wants to charge people the difference in fees between product x and product y, go ahead if that person is buying it right there for the first time. But when people have already bought some product at a sale price, that should have nothing to do with Sony trying to get their hands on gamers saved buying it on sale months ago.

If you have a game to trade in to Gamestop, they'll off you $30 if it works and comes with a case. It makes no difference if you bought the disc at regular price, on deal, or got it for free from your brother. The deal is $30 trade in value. Not $30 plus "lets factor in what price you paid for it so we chip down the trade in if we find out you got it for cheap"

If you bought PS+ for 33% off and stacked three years you’d need to pay $60 to upgrade your three year sub to the full priced Essential. It’s $20 a year since the 33% off PS+ sub was $40.

Then you’d need to pay $180 ($60 a year) to upgrade to a three year stacked Premium.

Total would be $240.
Oh Hell Naaaw.
Holy fucking shit, man.

That's a hard pill to swallow. But with PS+ Premium I'll get access to PC downloads and mobile streaming like Game Pass Ultimate, right?
excuse me sir, that's not a pill its a suppository.

ToadMan

1) What Microsoft do with GP is irrelevant.

2) Sony will tell you how much the fee is - at that time you can decide to agree to the fee or not.

There’s pages of explanations in this thread - if you can’t get it by now you’re not going to.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just imagine if you contacted your ISP provider looking to upgrade your cable or internet package.

Before you upgrade to a new package, the CSR says your past 12 months of history shows you got a good promo price on your current service. SO in order to change your bundle to something better, you first got to pay them back money equal to setting your 12 months of service at regular price. So if your 12 months of service was on a $50 bundle discount, you'd have to pay them back $600 (12 months x $50 discount) before changing your bundle.

Smoke6

Big difference between typical business and this issue is Sony trying to retroactively charge people top up money on things they already bought at a deal price where they are trying to get gamers to pay top up fees.

If Sony (or any company) wants to charge people the difference in fees between product x and product y, go ahead if that person is buying it right there for the first time. But when people have already bought some product at a sale price, that should have nothing to do with Sony trying to get their hands on gamers saved buying it on sale months ago.

If you have a game to trade in to Gamestop, they'll off you $30 if it works and comes with a case. It makes no difference if you bought the disc at regular price, on deal, or got it for free from your brother. The deal is $30 trade in value. Not $30 plus "lets factor in what price you paid for it so we chip down the trade in if we find out you got it for cheap"
Ok they were trying to scam SONY!!! I’m sure most people didn’t stack up paying full price for subs yeah? Can we agree on that?

So, I get it, and at the sametime I know the consequences of my actions good or bad. This one just so happened not to work out the way y’all intended and instead of sucking it up and dealing with it, they wanna make this a bad PR nightmare for Sony now!

Sony can’t win for anything even if it’s not their fault.

However the discounted psplus sales being brought back down to compensate for the stacking is ridiculous and from this day forward oriole who get psplus at a discount and want to upgrade later should be going thru this and they should let everyone with a sub no matter what they paid for it just pay the difference and be done with it

Swift_Star

Banned
This could be a bug. As one Reddit user pointed out that if you upgrade for 180 days, Sony also charges for the previous discounted price (as you mentioned), but if you upgrade for 179 days, that fixes the problem.

Let's see how it pans out after a few days -- especially when the service launches in US on June 13.

It'd be a real dick move if it's not a bug and Sony is charging for the previous discounts. It doesn't make sense they'd though. Never heard of such a thing before and also how will they keep track of all discounts anyway.
Why nobody is mentioning this? I'd really like to understand why if you upgrade to one less day than the full period you get the discount. This is confusing as hell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ok they were trying to scam SONY!!! I’m sure most people didn’t stack up paying full price for subs yeah? Can we agree on that?

So, I get it, and at the sametime I know the consequences of my actions good or bad. This one just so happened not to work out the way y’all intended and instead of sucking it up and dealing with it, they wanna make this a bad PR nightmare for Sony now!

However the discounted psplus sales being brought back down to compensate for the stacking is ridiculous and from this day forward oriole who get psplus at a discount and want to upgrade later should be going thru this and they should let everyone with a sub no matter what they paid for it just pay the difference and be done with it
How is it a scam when all gamers were doing is buying PS+ subs they saw on deal price?

When I'd buy Gold cards, I look for deals too. Costco Canada and RCSS used to sell them for $35-40 on deal. I'd buy two years worth. GP wasnt around back then, but if it was and I upgraded to GPU, MS isn't going to charge me $1 + the difference in deal price I bought the subs for. It's $1 even if I got the subs for free off someone.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Why nobody is mentioning this? I'd really like to understand why if you upgrade to one less day than the full period you get the discount. This is confusing as hell.

It's not confusing as hell as there's an official Sony support statement out clarifying it.

Plantoid

Spoken like the banned fan warrior you are. Amazing how Sony can rip off people like this and you downplaying it as a non issue.
Literally doesn't matter, people won't stop buying playstations even if they implement this globally, there will be backlash but Sony fans are like apple fans

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Literally doesn't matter, people won't stop buying playstations even if they implement this globally, there will be backlash but Sony fans are like apple fans
Sony car dealership

Sticker price: $50,000
Guy buys car for $48,000

He goes back to the lot asking how much a spoiler costs. Sony says $1000. He says I'll do it. Bill comes for $3000. Driver says why the extra $2000? Sales manager says you got to top up to sticker price first, and then add the spoiler cost.

ckaneo

You are being obtuse.

Here's another thing to consider. People who bought official Sony discounted PS+ are charged more to upgrade but certain 3rd party discounted PS+ are not charged more.

In other words, Sony is screwing over People who bought official codes

Three

We must have some Sony shareholders in here.
Aren't you a MS shareholder though?

Sony car dealership

Sticker price: $50,000
Guy buys car for $48,000

He goes back to the lot asking how much a spoiler costs. Sony says $1000. He says I'll do it. Bill comes for $3000. Driver says why the extra $2000? Sales manager says you got to top up to sticker price first, and then add the spoiler cost.
I think it's because they are trying to say the upgrade path is a discount offer and can't be used in conjunction with other discounts. It's bullshit but I'm guessing that's how they get away with it legally.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So Sony confirmed that a) you have to pay the difference between your discounted price and regular price when upgrading and b) you have to pay for the full stacked term upfront?

Sorry Sony, not interested. In fact, I'm so not interested that I doubt I'll renew my PS+ Essential plan when it expires in a few years.

So Sony confirmed that a) you have to pay the difference between your discounted price and regular price when upgrading and b) you have to pay for the full stacked term upfront?

Sorry Sony, not interested. In fact, I'm so not interested that I doubt I'll renew my PS+ Essential plan when it expires in a few years.
I think I'm out after it expires this year. I may pay for a month of Extra once a year to play first party stuff. I haven't played any of the free PS+ games honestly.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep, i'm waiting for MS to make an announcement that for everyone who used £1 offers will have to make the difference of a normal months worth.
I should be getting a letter from MS soon about paying them $30.

Before I did the $1 GPU upgrade, I bought 3 years of Gold cards from Costco whose every day price is $10 cheaper than everywhere else right off the bat.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The funniest part to me is Sony’s willingness to punish people for investing in their ecosystem long term who want to use their new service … and the cherry on top is some people defending it even though it fucks over people most likely to pay more money to Sony. Jimbo must be playing some 4D chess right now
That's a neat way of saying "buying on the cheap so they can pay less for something over the long term" but yes, investing in their ecosystem long term.

We're not talking about philanthropists investing for the long term good of Sony. We're talking about people stacking on the cheap so they could get something for less than normal price. Now they want to extend less than normal price to the new membership levels and Sony is saying no, the discount only applies to the thing you actually paid for.

Sony should deal with this differently than they are for sure. But it's not unfairly targeting people who have invested in Sony. It's impacting people Sony sees as cheapskate hoarders. Kind of goes to show what they really think of us. My last discounted sub ran out on May 1st and they charged me full price for a one year renewal. I would have been annoyed if I had to true up because they were clawing back the discount.

scydrex

Ooof. Good thing I stay physical. Just wish online gaming was free for souls and death stranding. Generally for asynchronous multiplayer

I wish to stay physical but death stranding, returnal, miles morales, demon soul and ghost of Tushima is $295. Got this year my PS5 and haven't played those. If i pay Extra por 3 month or 1 year i save $255 or 195 and still play those games. I live outside USA and the USD is much higher than the local currency. That is at the beginning of the service not counting other games they offer in the future that i would buy to play them.

Last edited:

NickFire

If they charge people more who bought subs on Black Friday sales (etc) from the actual PSN store, they can shove their new service up their bums. No issue at all with making people pay for entire length of upgrades when upgrading (though you would think a partial upgrade period option couldn't be too hard to offer). But making people who they sold an item on sale pay back the sale price is just poor form and I will not consider rewarding that for a second.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wish to stay physical but death stranding, returnal, miles morales, demon soul and ghost of Tushima is $295. Got this year my PS5 and haven't played those. If i pay Extra por 3 month or 1 year i save $255 or 195 and still play those games. I live outside USA and the USD is much higher than the local currency. That is at the beginning of the service not counting other games they offer in the future that i would buy to play them.
I am finding these games boxed new quite a lot cheaper than on psn

Swift_Star

Banned
Not in Brazil. It's cheaper to upgrade to Extra here than buying those games separately. I'm biting because of it and am hoping for this discount debacle to be sorted out by then.

Last edited:

ckaneo

Honestly people keep posting real life examples but I don't think I've ever seen someone try and pull this

I currently have the black Friday Hulu sale, that cost 1.99. There is no way another company would make you pay pack the original 3 or 4 dollars I have been saving all those months.

The idea itself is ludicrous

Vognerful

they clearly don’t care about the service. it isn’t like xbox who wants to grow the service to grow it for the future, they just want this as some alt cash flow
Based on the amount of money the get from online subscription, I am sure they really care about increase the revenue since it is probably the least cost of all their gaming parts.

scydrex

Ooof. Good thing I stay physical. Just wish online gaming was free for souls and death stranding. Generally for asynchronous multiplayer

I wish to stay physical but death stranding, returnal, miles morales, demon soul and ghost of Tushima is $295. Got this year my PS5 and haven't played those. If i pay Extra por 3 month or 1 year i save $250 or 195 and still play those games. I live outside USA and the USD is much higher than the local currency. That is when the service start not counting other games they offer in the future that i would buy.

Where? I can order only on Amazon or Ebay. The $295 total is right now on Amazon. See if you can find those game cheaper vs the $100 for 1 year of extra. Sure the box or physical most of the time are cheaper than digital but still I'm considering the service. I prefer physical games but i live outside the USA that's is why I'm considering the extra.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The difference is that GameStop is selling games they didn't create. They are selling games other people created and taking sales away from creators. There is no scenario where what GameStop does equates to this situation. I mean if you can get a used PS+ subscription from them for $30 that someone got from their brother then go for it I guess.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wish to stay physical but death stranding, returnal, miles morales, demon soul and ghost of Tushima is $295. Got this year my PS5 and haven't played those. If i pay Extra por 3 month or 1 year i save $250 or 195 and still play those games. I live outside USA and the USD is much higher than the local currency. That is when the service start not counting other games they offer in the future that i would buy.

Where? I can order only on Amazon or Ebay. That total is right now on Amazon. Sure the box or physical most of the time are cheaper than digital but still I'm considering the service. I prefer physical games but i live outside the USA that's is why I'm considering the extra.
Poland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom