• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Members in Asia Irate As Sony Wipes Discounts on Tier Upgrades, Demands Upfront Fee for Stacked Subs [UP: Sony fixes error]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even then, it's my choise to side with the less greedy of the 2.
Seeing MS track record with Gamepass. You get WAY more bang for your buck..
lmao...Gamepass is trying everything to get those subscriptions for now. As soon MS is comfortable with those numbers and if they somehow ever dominate on that space, they will get "arrogant" as well. MS's market position is the one of a company that has too many money to spend and are still in last place...not as a dominant one.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Even then, it's my choise to side with the less greedy of the 2.
Seeing MS track record with Gamepass. You get WAY more bang for your buck..
I’ve owned all 3 consoles since the 360 era, and if you think MS aren’t just as greedy as Sony I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

If you really don’t want to get screwed by a corp, PC is your only choice.

Right now MS are in the expansion stage with Game Pass, similar to when Netflix and Disney Plus used to be dirt cheap. Lots of deals (£1 upgrade) that’ll be pulled sooner or later with costs gradually rising. It’s happened with virtually every other content service.

mrBandoza

Neo Member
I don’t understand the issue. I have ps+ prepaid until next year I think. I bought it on sale. If I were to upgrade to another level I would expect to pay for the difference from what I put in in the first place.

Like in a store if I buy a shirt on a sale for 50$ that usually costs 100$. The same store sells jackets for 150$ and aftar a while I change my mind and return my shirt to buy the jacket instead. Then I expect to pay the difference from what I payed for my shirt to get the jacket so 100$.

I don’t expect my shirt to have risen in value just because the sale ended. If it were like that I could actually earn money just by buying something at a sale and then returning it when the sale is over?

Isn’t this the problem? Sony count what you payed for the service. When you go up a tier you “return” the lower tier and you get what you spent back.

Ofcourse you can think this is bad but it should be expected if nothing else is said. 🤔 I think microsofts offer to just convert your service have got people thinking it is a universial offer across all vendors?

Last edited:

Fredrik

As soon MS is comfortable with those numbers and if they somehow ever dominate on that space, they will get "arrogant" as well.
Yeah I think so too, I stacked as fast as I could just to be ”safe” for a few years at least, I’m effectively paying $5/month.

I did the same with this service through PS Now, we’ll see how that goes…

lmao...Gamepass is trying everything to get those subscriptions for now. As soon MS is comfortable with those numbers and if they somehow ever dominate on that space, they will get "arrogant" as well. MS's market position is the one of a company that has too many money to spend and are still in last place...not as a dominant one.

They are dominant in this space and Game Pass has been out for 5 years. Still the best deal in gaming.

Chukhopops

Look like it is kinda confirmed?
Jyz9sSI.jpg

Translation
But does it mean that in the future, if you buy standard PS+ at a discount (e.g. during Black Friday or so) you will need to pay the price difference later if you want to upgrade?

If so then that’s super rough. I don’t subscribe to PS+ today and I’d only be interested in the middle tier to play some recent games so idgaf on a personal level.

T-Cake

But does it mean that in the future, if you buy standard PS+ at a discount (e.g. during Black Friday or so) you will need to pay the price difference later if you want to upgrade?

If so then that’s super rough. I don’t subscribe to PS+ today and I’d only be interested in the middle tier to play some recent games so idgaf on a personal level.

Surely you'd buy the PS+ Extra then? All three tiers will have a discount, I doubt they'll just give you 50% off PS+ Essential alone.

Last edited:

Naru

The cheap deal is to get you into the ecosystem. Once your in, they want to trap you, then get more money from you. This is the stage Sony is at. They already have you, now they want more.

It'll be a few years before they can pull it off. Perhaps if they "win" the generation.
I haven't bought a game since subbing to GamePass. There are literally people who just have a Series S for GamePass and never buy shit. Not sure what you are saying applies.
I also think MS is fine with that, having people buy their console, subbing to GamePass and just playing their games that way. Sony clearly is afraid of that. They want to sell their games. They clearly feel forced into this subbing thing because of the dominance GamePass has. That the reason we see them stumbling left and right with that thing.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Surely you'd buy the PS+ Extra then? All three tiers will have a discount, I doubt they'll just give you 50% off PS+ Essential alone.
Yeah I would buy it directly and not be impacted since I don’t have the default tier today.
What’s weird is that Sony’s approach pisses off the ones who are the most committed to the ecosystem. Usually you try to keep those people happy as they are the most likely to be promoters of your brand.

Basically MS gives them socks and rewards while Sony gives them the middle finger. I don’t see it as a good decision but again it doesn’t impact me.

Yeah I would buy it directly and not be impacted since I don’t have the default tier today.

What’s weird is that Sony’s approach pisses off the ones who are the most committed to the ecosystem. Usually you try to keep those people happy as they are the most likely to be promoters of your brand.

Basically MS gives them socks and rewards while Sony gives them the middle finger. I don’t see it as a good decision but again it doesn’t impact me.
Of course it's not a good decision...
As i've been saying for a while now, Sony is lucky they have the studios and the talent by their side. Sony has a console that sellsout every time stock is available...they are arrogant because they can be. Doesn't mean they should be.

If a showcase is announced for June and they show Ragnarok, TLOU remake, Factions, TLOU2 remaster, FFXVI, Forspoken, Spider-Man 2 (first gameplay) and Wolverine (same as Spider-Man 2) plus games never announced before, no one will be talking about this and everyone will be on the look-out for a PS5. (as they already are)

MikeM

If they can get away with it.

It's a closed platform, what are you going to do?

Aim of the game now is getting more money from your users and keep them trapped in your ecosystem. Apple is getting into banking just for that purpose.

Digital serfdom.
Go PC. Looking better and better everyday, especially considering GPU pricing is rocketing downwards.

Smoke6

The funniest part to me is Sony’s willingness to punish people for investing in their ecosystem long term who want to use their new service … and the cherry on top is some people defending it even though it fucks over people most likely to pay more money to Sony. Jimbo must be playing some 4D chess right now
How does it fuck those people over who actually paid full price for the service without those discounted prices?

I have a discounted sub and never once thought I was getting premium service for the same price once this launched. Y’all need to put yourselves in these peoples shoes who run these companies man, y’all would be bankrupt in a heartbeat going off y’all’s feelings

Smoke6

They are dominant in this space and Game Pass has been out for 5 years. Still the best deal in gaming.
How are they dominating in this space when Sony has double the subs? Everyone losing there shit as there are no AAA games worth a damn on gamepass this year, yet you make these claims?

Man get off y’all high horses man, y’all gambled and loss and mad at something for being pro active about it lmao

Fredrik

Of course it's not a good decision...
As i've been saying for a while now, Sony is lucky they have the studios and the talent by their side. Sony has a console that sellsout every time stock is available...they are arrogant because they can be. Doesn't mean they should be.

If a showcase is announced for June and they show Ragnarok, TLOU remake, Factions, TLOU2 remaster, FFXVI, Forspoken, Spider-Man 2 (first gameplay) and Wolverine (same as Spider-Man 2) plus games never announced before, no one will be talking about this and everyone will be on the look-out for a PS5. (as they already are)
I don’t think they can do whatever they want anymore, that’s why this thread on every board exists, it’s not casual gamers who’re feeling mistreated here, it’s their most loyal and vocal fans who finds out that it was apparently foolish to invest in their platform.

We’ll see how it pans out, I think we’ll see them backpedalling on this conversion model in some way.

This is Sony testing their refund system on their backend. Right now it only works for you to get a refund on the discounts you used. Jimbo is multiple steps ahead when it comes to this stuff and people get confused, you just have to trust the man.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont udnerstand why sony is doing this, like...how much they actually get for this bad PR? is it worth it for Sony?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe we can finally retire the idea that this is a mistake. None of the issues they've had this gen regarding pricing and policy have been a mistake. Every one was deliberate. I actually can't even think of a "mistake" they've made. These are decisions.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I don’t think they can do whatever they want anymore, that’s why this thread on every board exists, it’s not casual gamers who’re feeling mistreated here, it’s their most loyal and vocal fans who finds out that it was apparently foolish to invest in their platform.

We’ll see how it pans out, I think we’ll see them backpedalling on this conversion model in some way.
We don’t even know how this will turn out on other territories.

How does it fuck those people over who actually paid full price for the service without those discounted prices?

I have a discounted sub and never once thought I was getting premium service for the same price once this launched. Y’all need to put yourselves in these peoples shoes who run these companies man, y’all would be bankrupt in a heartbeat going off y’all’s feelings
Why so defensive y’all?

Topher

Gold Member
Thanks for contacting Play Station Support.

Questions about your inquiry about PlayStation Plus membership subscription price, thank you for your support. Since you purchased the PlayStation Plus membership at a discounted price at that time, this new PlavStation Plus membership is launched and there are two PlavStation Plus memberships that cannot enjoy other discounts:

1. PlayStation Plus membership bought with a discount.
2. PlayStation Plus membership redeemed with redemption code.

Therefore, if you need to upgrade to the second or third level of premium membership, you need to make up for the difference in the previous discounted price first to return to the normal price, for example: the one-year PlayStation Plus membership was HK$308, the discount price was HK$187.6, and the difference was 120.4X the number of days in the remaining month, please rest assured, if you need to upgrade, the system will automatically calculate the amount that needs to be paid back difference.

Of course, you can also choose to upgrade or downgrade the membership service according to your own preferences. If you do not upgrade, the PlayStation Plus membership service you are currently using will not be affected. Game discounts, monthly free games and online storage The usage rights of 100G of space remain unchanged, please rest assured.

Finally, we have recorded and dealt with your valuable comments, thank you for your support. I hope this helps. But if you have any other questions, please contact PlayStation Support and a support person on our team will be happy to assist you.

That's some idiotic bullshit right there. What the fuck is wrong with you, Sony?

I don’t understand the issue. I have ps+ prepaid until next year I think. I bought it on sale. If I were to upgrade to another level I would expect to pay for the difference from what I put in in the first place.

Like in a store if I buy a shirt on a sale for 50$ that usually costs 100$. The same store sells jackets for 150$ and aftar a while I change my mind and return my shirt to buy the jacket instead. Then I expect to pay the difference from what I payed for my shirt to get the jacket so 100$.

I don’t expect my shirt to have risen in value just because the sale ended. If it were like that I could actually earn money just by buying something at a sale and then returning it when the sale is over?

Isn’t this the problem? Sony count what you payed for the service. When you go up a tier you “return” the lower tier and you get what you spent back.

Ofcourse you can think this is bad but it should be expected if nothing else is said. 🤔 I think microsofts offer to just convert your service have got people thinking it is a universial offer across all vendors?
Season 2 No GIF by The Lonely Island

That kind of thing only flies at Dan Flashes. Their shirts have patterns that are super complicated, which justifies the price.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's some idiotic bullshit right there. What the fuck is wrong with you, Sony?

This is what everyone has been saying in this thread, and Sony confirmed it:
you need to make up for the difference in the previous discounted price first to return to the normal price
Paying to upgrade is expected, paying extra to cover a discount they already gave you is what's fucked up.

Zok310

Banned
Lots of people don’t understand business. If MS was in the position Sony and Nintendo are in they would be doing what they supposed to do for shareholders best interest, making tons of money.
If Sony had better rivals in the space that could better compete with PS then Sony will have to be more pro consumer.
As it currently stand Nintendo and xbox cannot and does offer the total overall value that PS does hence Sony being pro shareholders, gamers be damned.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lots of people don’t understand business. If MS was in the position Sony and Nintendo are in they would be doing what they supposed to do for shareholders best interest, making tons of money.
If Sony had better rivals in the space that could better compete with PS then Sony will have to be more pro consumer.
As it currently stand Nintendo and xbox cannot and does offer the total overall value that PS does hence Sony being pro shareholders, gamers be damned.
Isn’t it a legal obligation for a company to try to maximise income for the share holders? You are absolutely correct. Every mega corp wants to milk our titties for everything they can.

Topher

Gold Member
This is what everyone has been saying in this thread, and Sony confirmed it:

Paying to upgrade is expected, paying extra to cover a discount they already gave you is what's fucked up.

So it wasn't incompetence or pettiness. It was both. Petty for nickel and dime-ing loyal customers like this. Incompetence for going to such lengths to create a competitive subscription service only to take a massive dump on it right out of the gate.

So this is Microsoft's fault.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Zok310

Banned
Isn’t it a legal obligation for a company to try to maximise income for the share holders? You are absolutely correct. Every mega corp wants to milk our titties for everything they can.
Yes, and for MS windows is good enough for now. But imagine how much better it would be for their shareholders if both Windows and Xbox generated tons of profit?
Remove windows and xbox is either dead or on life support, if we just talking about business no fanboy shit.

Last edited:

DinoD

This is an absolute buggery. Shameful Sony. BTW. Companies that don't care about their customers are not going to last long.

user1337

I'd be annoyed as heck as well. My sub is till June 2023 at 33% off, so yea I'd probably also be charged more than I expected. Will see what it comes up to. That said, there are 7 games on the list that I have been wanting to play...and for me a higher cost is still MUCH less than buying those 7 games. Soooo yeaaa...hoping its a massive oversight and they see sense.

Hezekiah

Banned
I don't think so.
Because right now Microsoft don't have suffocated customers who will eat everything just because "we have great first-party games" like Sony.

Sony built a loyal fanbase that they can now exploit to death and few of them will call them out. And kudos to them because their first-party offering is great. But that also means that they can treat their customers like shit.
Microsoft on the other hand need to stay as proconsumer as possible. That's why there is still possibility to stack 3 years of Gold and then convert it to GPU for 1$.

Sony is like Scrooge McDuck claiming every possible dollar they can earn. That's why you need to pay for next-gen upgrades, that's why they blocked stacking of PS Plus/PS Now, that's why they are now doing this. Microsoft is like "let's give them attractive proposition and lock them in our ecosystem so it is difficult to leave."
Still, at least you're handling the Starfield delay well 😄

We've come a long way since E3 1995 when Sony declared '$299' to cheers for a console.
I mean...they released a console that you can buy for $399 in 2020. You can't find a piece of hardware on sale for that price and that good anywhere i think.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I’ve owned all 3 consoles since the 360 era, and if you think MS aren’t just as greedy as Sony I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

If you really don’t want to get screwed by a corp, PC is your only choice.

Right now MS are in the expansion stage with Game Pass, similar to when Netflix and Disney Plus used to be dirt cheap. Lots of deals (£1 upgrade) that’ll be pulled sooner or later with costs gradually rising. It’s happened with virtually every other content service.
This. The deals won't last forever. Remember just a few years ago Netflix's star was shining and everyone loved them.

Now look at their service.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd be annoyed as heck as well. My sub is till June 2023 at 33% off, so yea I'd probably also be charged more than I expected. Will see what it comes up to. That said, there are 7 games on the list that I have been wanting to play...and for me a higher cost is still MUCH less than buying those 7 games. Soooo yeaaa...hoping its a massive oversight and they see sense.
Sounds good. And that's the point of sub services. Use what you see for cheap. I do Game Pass. Dirt cheap as well with the $1 promo. I'm not a collector or purist wanting to own my copies. I go the path of cheapest resistance. Buy on deal or wait for sub service.

The second I'm done with the game I move it to my external HDD if I think I might play it again later. But if I know I wont I delete it entirely off my internal SSD or external drives.

Filben

Microsoft on the other hand need to stay as proconsumer as possible.
Yes, they even offer refunds for games (at least on PC) and for the Game Pass as well. Let's say you subscribe to the Game Pass, play/test it for one week and then want to cancel right away without waiting until your initial subscription ends, you get the full price back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom