• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Phone to launch in Feb 2011

MassiveAttack said:
Couldn't possibly agree with this post more. The two devices have next to nothing in common in terms of joint development - as will be made resoundingly clear within the next 2 months.

The close to final PSP2 specs are well known inside the dev community and let's just say that a certain first-party PS3 title is up and running on the test kits that will surprise a lot of people. It's about as far removed from PS Phone as you can imagine.

Ugh! Can't believe that Sony's functional silos are still as prominent as ever. I thought that Stringer was working to try and fix this!

It's Sony's absolute number 1 problem and always has been really. What's the point of being a massive multi sector conglomerate if your departments all work completely independently of each other?!

Still, there has to be some sort of connection between the two projects. Both have a similar form factor, both use a trackpad and both have some form of dual analog control!

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ugh! Can't believe that Sony's functional silos are still as prominent as ever. I thought that Stringer was working to try and fix this!

It's Sony's absolute number 1 problem and always has been really. What's the point of being a massive multi sector conglomerate if your departments all work completely independently of each other?!

Still, there has to be some sort of connection between the two projects. Both have a similar form factor, both use a trackpad and both have some form of dual analog control!

Couldn't agree more. The lack of tight integration among Sony's divisions is really astounding. It's the biggest reason Apple replaced them as the top CE manufacturer.

Simply having a "connection" isn't enough. The PS Phone really should be a PSP2 on the inside. Think iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone. All very, very similar hardware and capabilities.

H_Prestige said:
Couldn't agree more. The lack of tight integration among Sony's divisions is really astounding. It's the biggest reason Apple replaced them as the top CE manufacturer.

Simply having a "connection" isn't enough. The PS Phone really should be a PSP2 on the inside. Think iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone. All very, very similar hardware and capabilities.

They could very likely be the same on the inside. ;) What matters is how SE and SCE will work together to jointly announce and market the devices without creating a raft of consumer confusion and split markets. At this stage, there appears to be a lot of confusion behind the scenes on this subject. This will be a major test of Stringer's "Sony United" efforts of the last few years.

Maxwell House said:
Shouldn't Sony make the PS Phone fully compatible with the PSP 2 to maximize the strength of a potential Sony phone? Just make the PS Phone a PSP 2 with added phone circuitry.

If there isn't any compelling reason to pick the PS Phone over the iPhone or other android devices, the thing isn't going to sell at all. I am not sure having games at just PSP levels will cut it.

Well, "games at PSP level" would be a generational leap for Android gaming. Android gaming is currently stuck at PS1 levels of complexity for the most part, with shitty controls.

MassiveAttack said:
Couldn't possibly agree with this post more. The two devices have next to nothing in common in terms of joint development - as will be made resoundingly clear within the next 2 months.

The close to final PSP2 specs are well known inside the dev community and let's just say that a certain first-party PS3 title is up and running on the test kits that will surprise a lot of people. It's about as far removed from PS Phone as you can imagine.

Fwiw is the level of authority coming from a position "in the know" or based off the various rumours and leaks popping up which we can all access? Because if its the latter, I literally have no idea how someone could be so assured in their statement. There's been just as many hints linking this to the PSP2 (more, I'd say) as there have been suggesting its an independent platform.

As for the latter, well, its pretty brave to say that publicly, I think you're the first one. ;) Watch out for those ninjas.

MassiveAttack said:
There is a definitely a point to the PS Phone and there is a definite link between the two in terms of hardware. The main difference will be how they are branded, marketed and sold.

Again, thanks for saying this publicly. You're a brave man. :lol

Sipowicz

Banned
i will say that i dont see having two seperate platforms as a bad thing. it's just sony ericson capitalising on sony's legacy. like that walkman phone that came out (the orange one)

no-one's going to mistake it for a proper gaming device, just as no-one's going to do the same with the iphone. at the end of the day if you want proper controls, proper games, high production values etc on top of little downloadable games then psp and ds are your only choice

Firestorm

Sipowicz said:
i will say that i dont see having two seperate platforms as a bad thing. it's just sony ericson capitalising on sony's legacy. like that walkman phone that came out (the orange one)

no-one's going to mistake it for a proper gaming device, just as no-one's going to do the same with the iphone. at the end of the day if you want proper controls, proper games, high production values etc on top of little downloadable games then psp and ds are your only choice
The w810i came out in a completely different mobile landscape. I would have loved a PlayStation Phone years ago. Nowadays, it's really hard for me to justify purchasing one when I could grab an iPhone 4, one of the Windows Phone 7 handsets, or a stock Android which I know will be updated immediately rather than months later like the Xperia 10.

Byakuya769 said:
He was saying contradictory things, anyway.

"It's about as far removed from the PS Phone as you can get."

"There is a definite link between the two in terms of hardware."

"They could very likely be the same on the inside."

Top Bottom