• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Phone to launch in Feb 2011

Cruzader said:
Seems alot of you are confused.

PS Phone = Playstation Phone
PSP Phone(psphone) = Playstation Portable Phone

Two different things. This is not PSP2 related. PS Phone is prolly just using PS brand and might not be PSP related, which is crazy. Maybe it will offer better Android gaming for smartphone, who knows.
A "Playstation Phone" not being a PSP inside makes no fucking sense. But now that I think about it, it makes perfect Sonysense.

brain_stew said:
Minis run on native PSP code, and even the PS3 struggles to emulate them at full speed.

The only way its going to support PSP Minis is if it has PSP hardware in there and if it has PSP hardware included then its going to run full PSP games as well.
Well, it doesn't have to stay that way, I doubt Minis are a big success as a PSP thing only, they could do better changing its environment to a generic PS family app. Given the tools and the incentive I doubt many devs would complain about changing Minis focus from "PSP and maybe PS3" to PSP, PS3 and PS phone. So old ones get shafted or updated, with upcoming ones being touted to all PS systems.

Salsa

Man i wonder if this will have ports of iphone games. Cant wait to make fun of the stupid Sony ads where they bashed the iphone again.

Cruzader said:

Two different things. This is not PSP2 related. PS Phone is prolly just using PS brand and might not be PSP related, which is crazy. Maybe it will offer better Android gaming for smartphone, who knows.

There is no PSP phone from SCE and there never will be.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SalsaShark said:
Man i wonder if this will have ports of iphone games. Cant wait to make fun of the stupid Sony ads where they bashed the iphone again.

The PSP already gets ports of iphone games... obviously Sony has to point out that a device like PSP can play a whole other range of games, 'serious' games as they (or Nintendo for that matter) would put it.

Salsa

gofreak said:
The PSP already gets ports of iphone games... obviously Sony has to point out that a device like PSP can play a whole other range of games, 'serious' games as they (or Nintendo for that matter) would put it.

I know, but the fact that these device might be less powerful than the PSP means that even the more casual games can get ports, and they really talked shit about those games.

Anyway im just messing, this could end up being an interesting device.

Dear neogaf,

enjoy the horrible nightmare that is a SE phone. Personally I won't even consider this unless there is concrete evidence that this shit has some solid software (really, really doubt that) and after a couple of firmware updates.

fortified_concept said:
Dear neogaf,

enjoy the horrible nightmare that is a SE phone. Personally I won't even consider this unless there is concrete evidence that this shit has some solid software (really, really doubt that) and after a couple of firmware updates.

I can easily see this going the route of the Experia as well, diabolical software updates and confusion :lol

MAtgS

Cruzader said:

Last I checked, cell phones typically were portable.

Sipowicz said:
as i expected, it's a completely different product from the PSP2

feb release is clever as fuck. steal some of the thunder from the 3DS

Please read the thread.

Eurogamer and the op have a lot to answer for with their shitty reporting here. What a horrible misrepresentation.

MAtgS

How is it 2 different things though? If it's a portable device with the Playstation name then it is by technicality a PSP.

The original source reads as if the official goal launch is definitely February. Though I don't see how that gels with "nowhere near done". This is going to be a clusterfuck if they do a separate platform.

antonz

roflmao @ people saying this thing launching would steal thunder from the 3DS. This thing is gonna be DOA and vanish into the wind.

Takao

Banned
If this thing isn't a PSPhone, they might as well name it PlayStation Mobile just to not confuse the brands.

Zen

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
Ok the products aren't even announced yet and I am already confused what's playing what and what's running what.

A typical Sony product confirmed. :p

thcsquad

This sounds like what Minis were made for. Think of the artificial restrictions put on Minis with filesize and whatnot. They are essentially mobile-sized games with standard game controls, which looks like that this phone is doing. That doesn't mean it'll be the main attraction of the device, but I'm sure a lot of the launch apps will be Minis.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, it doesn't have to stay that way, I doubt Minis are a big success as a PSP thing only, they could do better changing its environment to a generic PS family app. Given the tools and the incentive I doubt many devs would complain about changing Minis focus from "PSP and maybe PS3" to PSP, PS3 and PS phone. So old ones get shafted or updated, with upcoming ones being touted to all PS systems.
Yeah, that makes sense. I was actually surprised when i found out, not too long ago, that minis run directly in the PSP hardware on not on a higher abstraction layer.

I think it's pretty clear this a third pillar - unless, by some miracle, this also has PSP hardware in it.

But it's indicative of Sony's thinking. They see a new market of casual phone gaming and they're trying to play catchup.

At the same time, they're still convinced that people still want console gaming on the go and that more powerful tech is the way to get there.

I'm not sure I see the fragmented strategy working. One possibly smart move, however, would be be if the PSP2 can play whatever titles this PS Phone will be able to play. That at least would make sense. Given that the PS Phone is on Android, however, I'm not sure that's possible.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
somuchwater said:
I think it's pretty clear this a third pillar - unless, by some miracle, this also has PSP hardware in it.

But it's indicative of Sony's thinking. They see a new market of casual phone gaming and they're trying to play catchup.

At the same time, they're still convinced that people still want console gaming on the go and that more powerful tech is the way to get there.

I'm not sure the fragmented strategy working. One possibly smart move, however, would be be if the PSP2 can play whatever titles this PS Phone will be able to play. That at least would make sense. Given that the PS Phone is on Android, however, I'm not sure that's possible.
Is very possible if the PSP2 also runs on android.

Takao said:
If this thing isn't a PSPhone, they might as well name it PlayStation Mobile just to not confuse the brands.

It might even be called Sony Ericsson Something. Or Xperia Something. Or Bravia Something since they've talked about all the different brands.

Spiegel

Noisepurge said:
It might even be called Sony Ericsson Something. Or Xperia Something. Or Bravia Something since they've talked about all the different brands.

OP says it will carry the Xperia branding.

So unless this is called Xperia Playstation, I doubt anyone will be confused and take this as the next handheld console from Sony.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
fortified_concept said:
Dear neogaf,

enjoy the horrible nightmare that is a SE phone.
Been using SE for three generations of smartphones now, ever since I dropped nokia (after two of those died on me after getting mildly wet from being rained upon). SE's mid-tier models are nothing short of solid. And their upper-end ones are always impressive.

Personally I won't even consider this unless there is concrete evidence that this shit has some solid software (really, really doubt that) and after a couple of firmware updates.
One of the first phones opera mini ran on were the high-end UIQ SE models back in 2005. Also, their UIQ platform helped make Symbian actually palatable (that was pre-Android, for the younger reader), and SE have always provided the full set of connectivity their hardware supports *waves at nokia*. Currently, SE's Android offerings are just as good (or better) as everybody else's.

Back on topic: do it right, SE, and I might bite.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Luckyman, you should expand that article:

The latest rumors about the Sony Ericsson PlayStation Phone is that it won't play PSP games and won't sale under the PlayStation logo. The Android 2.3 running gaming device will be part of the high-end XPERIA family instead.

Yesterday we already reported that the Sony Ericsson PlayStation phone will be unveiled on the 9 December.

But what's so special about this phone then besides the gaming controls and the rumored specs we already covered? Sony Ericsson is said to be preparing a whole line of exclusive games developed by some of the best Sony partners.

The game distribution will be via separate service or a dedicated section in the Android Market. Whatever Sony Ericsson chooses, the games will be exclusive and compatible only with that particular phone. The average game price is rumored to be sub-10 US dollars.

yeah... Sounds like a non event.

Luckyman said:
Will not play PSP games. Will play exclusive games.. :lol :lol

So much as I thought, it's unrelated to what SCE are doing. If it won't even use the Playstation brand, I don't think there's actually much risk of confusion between this and the PSP2, even if the latter does have a phone model.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
The branding may be different (PS Phone, not psp phone) but I just cannot see Sony launching a phone separate from the PSP2. I wouldnt bet on it.

I would look for a simultaneous release of the phone and psp2 in November.

EDIT: Maybe not... they truly are that stupid...

Suzzopher

This would be Sony's chance to get a real foothold on the portable market, one Phone version and even implement it into the Walkman MP3 players, then launch a dedicated gaming platform. But no. Sony go and keep things separate as per bloody usual.

I thought things were meant to be more synchronised between the different arms of Sony these days? It's something pretty much everyone inside Sony wants the company to do, except those making the decisions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So...Not-Playstation Playstation Phone That's Not A Playstation will Launch in February 2011 with no playstation games

Sipowicz

Banned
brain_stew said:
Please read the thread.

Eurogamer and the op have a lot to answer for with their shitty reporting here. What a horrible misrepresentation.

i bet you a tenner they're seperate products

So, what's going here seems to be that Sony/SE are trying to enter the mobile phone gaming market a la iPhone without 'diluting' the Playstation brand.

I think you can imagine the meetings around this. "Playstation is a brand associated with cutting edge tech and deep, immersive experiences. This mobile thing shouldn't taint the brand. This new phone should look like a PSP but not have the brand. We must keep it separate."

Good luck, Sony! If only you had some lessons in the past where you tried to push against broad changes in consumer behaviour and failed miserably...

Afrikan

so......will SCE sue Sony Ericsson, for their phone having likeness to their PlayStation brand?

of course taking place at Sony Court aka Sony Family table with the kids throwing food at each other.

PSGames

Suzzopher said:
So it won't be PSP related at all other than brand? So a third pillar:lol

It's interesting that this will release before the rumored PSP2. Somewhat like how Nintendo tested the market with th DS as a 'third pillar'. If this becomes successful I could see Sony scrapping a 'proper' PSP2 altogether as selling phones is much more profitable.

mj1108

Looking forward to someone at XDA taking the rom and ripping the Playstation part of the rom out and getting it to run on other handsets.

Cruzader said:

This is an awful branding strategy that will totally confuse the shit ouf of their consumers and condemn both products.

But knowing Sony they'd do it.

Oni Jazar

tahrikmili said:
This is an awful branding strategy that will totally confuse the shit ouf of their consumers and condemn both products.

But knowing Sony they'd do it.
The recent article says it wont have the playstation brand name.

Baki

charlequin said:
So much as I thought, it's unrelated to what SCE are doing. If it won't even use the Playstation brand, I don't think there's actually much risk of confusion between this and the PSP2, even if the latter does have a phone model.

Could be SCE testing the waters with this device. Much like the PSP Go.

Y2Kev said:
So...Not-Playstation Playstation Phone That's Not A Playstation will Launch in February 2011 with no playstation games
it'll have playstation buttons though right?
(yeah i know, it wouldn't be a first for a Sony Erickson phone)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oni Jazar said:
The recent article says it wont have the playstation brand name.

The recent article simply relays what other articles reported.

which might explain why Sony Ericsson is reportedly planning on pushing this handset with the XPERIA brand rather than the more recognizable Playstation brand.

By virtue of simply carrying the Playstation interface, it is carrying Playstation branding. You cannot put the x/circle/triangle/square iconography on a device and then try and pretend it's not a Playstation device. Whether it is the primary brand on the device or not is what's up for debate.

I think people are thinking about this the wrong way - at least if Sony is thinking about it the right way. I mean, for example, there are 'Android' phones. But no one calls compliant devices the Motorola Android or the Samsung Android. They've their own brands, but they carry Android support/compliance. This would be a Sony Ericsson Xperia phone but would carry support/compliance for a Playstation platform (we can debate about whatever platform that is). Sony may be thinking of Playstation here as a platform for devices that aren't necessarily Playstation-exclusive (and thus not necessarily carry Playstation as the primary or exclusive brand for the device).

Also, for those saying SCE is not involved, Bert Nordberg gave a very heavy indication to the contrary. He said in a very upfront way that it's not hard to make 'a Playstation phone' from a hardware and technical point of view, the hard part is on the licensing and publisher relations end of things. He said further that, thankfully they were working with 'a company like Sony' who knows how to do all these things. Which part of Sony do you think they're leaning on here? Sony BMG? Of course it's SCE. I think it was a very clear indicator that SCE would have ownership of the platform side of things.

Top Bottom