• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Games for November (Kingdoms of Amalur, knockout city)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Vine Ok GIF

Just a bit of fun lol
I was typing in "confusion" gif but this appeared after "co"
page forum GIF

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I haven't played Kingdoms of Amalur and it looks cool so that would be a good game for me. The rest look trash minus Walking Dead which I won't play since I don't have PSVR (but who knows, maybe one day).

CamHostage

Dang it, this might be the second time I grudgingly download Kingdoms of Amalur and feel grief that I won't play it.

The PS3 game was on PS+ years ago, I had it on my drive forever, finally tried it... couldn't be bothererd to get out of the first dungeon, it felt so clunky and the lore was putting me to sleep right away.

But everybody else seems to love the game, so I feel I should give it more time than 10 minutes. I don't want to though. You all keep convincing me that I was wrong to not give it a better shot, but if I clear out HDD space for this and hate it again, I'm going to be mad at myself...

bender

What time is it?
I've tried to play Amular two or three times and just can't make it past the first few hours. I guess I'll give the remastered version a go.

elliot5

Knockout City is really fun. Hopefully it brings some life to it. I played the first week of launch and enjoyed my time with the game. Give it a shot.

BlackM1st

Banned
Amalur has quests that you can miss or fail iirc Not my favorite game mechanic tbh. Otherwise it's an alright if a little empty game.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm gonna be honest unless you are nostalgic for KoA, like the lore it's based on or just parked it because of time its unlikely to win you over this time. But its free and you get to try it so I would

Whatever happened to getting games that were exclusive to PS5 and not cross gen? Oh wait there aren’t many :/

Every month these games keep getting worse after a relatively decent start to the new gen a year ago.

Also, what the fuck is up with PS plus being the dumpster for dying multiplayer games no one wants to play?

Last edited:

nowhat

Never played Kingdoms of Amalur way back then, have been tempted to get this remaster off a sale few times but never got around to it. Now with it being "free", why not give it a go. Few hours in, the game does definitely show its age but at least seems to run at 60fps on PS5 (there's a FOV slider even, something of a rarity for consoles). Whether I'll actually finish this remains to be seen.

There's one thing though. I know PS5 does no "auto HDR", but at the same time it always outputs in HDR so there's some tone mapping involved. And I haven't noticed this so much with other SDR games, but here with the default brightness settings - holy crushed blacks Batman. I had to raise the brightness way up to get a passable image. Is it just me? (LG CX here for what it's worth)

mxbison

Nothing for me.

Walking Dead looks cool but I don't want to go back to PSVR with the shitty move controllers and wires after playing on the Quest.

cormack12

Gold Member
Never played Kingdoms of Amalur way back then, have been tempted to get this remaster off a sale few times but never got around to it. Now with it being "free", why not give it a go. Few hours in, the game does definitely show its age but at least seems to run at 60fps on PS5 (there's a FOV slider even, something of a rarity for consoles). Whether I'll actually finish this remains to be seen.

There's one thing though. I know PS5 does no "auto HDR", but at the same time it always outputs in HDR so there's some tone mapping involved. And I haven't noticed this so much with other SDR games, but here with the default brightness settings - holy crushed blacks Batman. I had to raise the brightness way up to get a passable image. Is it just me? (LG CX here for what it's worth)

I'm playing Amalur now, I'm actually pleased with what they've done. I have vivid memories of smeary textures and this does a lot to clean it up, though conscious it's still a remaster.

No troubles with HDR/blacks here etc here - X90H, looks fine to me.

nowhat

I'm playing Amalur now, I'm actually pleased with what they've done. I have vivid memories of smeary textures and this does a lot to clean it up, though conscious it's still a remaster.
I'd say more than the graphics it's some design choices that seem quite archaic. Like, the same button for interact is also for loot, and with a controller it's rather easy to initiate a conversation with someone nearby accidentally. And if you do, that character must always slowly turn to you (or get up, or whatnot) and that takes time, after which you need to click a few times to dismiss the convo even if it was an accident. And I'm now using a staff that has this constant "warping" effect around it - not sure if it is that nice looking in the first place, but the effect is present constantly even in cutscenes, including the person I'm talking to depending on the camera angle. That's more what I'm getting at with the game showing its age.

But yeah, maybe the HDR/SDR thing is just me.

Top Bottom