• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Blog: Four unique ways Hitman 3’s PS VR mode immerses you in the World of Assassination

AlexxKidd

This is my most anticipated PSVR game in a long time, because of Hitman's pedigree and what seems like the limitless possibilities. What an incredible future VR is going to have next gen.

From PS Blog,

1. Point of view
When you’re playing in VR, you’re playing in first person – literally seeing the world through the eyes of Agent 47. It’s a powerful move that we’ve done specifically for VR. It’s almost like a ‘VR-view’ rather than a first-person view because we’ve had to reconsider all aspects of the game and where the camera should be in VR.

For example, we’ve adjusted Agent 47’s height in VR to make the first-person view and taking cover work properly. We’ve also adjusted what parts of Agent 47’s body will get detected by guards to make sure that the experience feels right in VR.

2. New ways of play
In the early stages of developing for VR, it was lots of fun to discover new possibilities that we could take advantage of, without making any changes to the game. The high level of fidelity and realism in the environments meant that we had new lines of sight and new places to hide almost instantly. We then started to experiment with the items in the world and how we could interact with them in satisfying ways.

We quickly realised that when you moved through a level holding an item, you’d leave a trail of destruction in your path, often unintentionally, because the item would ‘attack’ anything it touched. To avoid that, and allow players to choose when they wanted to use an item to interact or attack, we added the concept of ‘priming’ an item. This allows you to freely carry an item but only use it to attack when you choose to. Look closely at how 47’s grip changes when he’s holding the robot arm – that’s the moment that we hold R2 to prime.

3. Outside the box
We want the world of Hitman VR to be one that you can truly touch and effect. Hitman games have always been built to have a living, breathing world and when you’re playing in VR, you’ll be much more up-close with everything in the game – whether that’s wine bottles or security guards.

When you don’t play in VR, you can bump into characters and they’ll likely scold you for being clumsy. In VR, the layers of interaction needed to be deeper, so we’ve added reactions and trigger dialogue when you tap someone on the shoulder, for example.

Again, you’ll see below how 47 starts by tapping the guard and then ‘primes’ his hand into a fist to land a knockout blow.

4. Blending in
Taking disguises has always been an integral part of playing Hitman, especially in the recent games where it’s possible to blend-in to your surroundings and stay hidden, even when you’re in plain sight. Agent 47 is well-versed in doing whatever is necessary to maintain his disguise; whether he’s sipping a drink at a bar or cleaning a table in the kitchen.

Normally, Agent 47 would play that out automatically. In VR, we’re even going for full immersion when you’re cleaning tables and don’t plan to rely on automation! You can now act the part and finally live out your waiter dreams of cleaning tables in your own personal style. You’ll be a master assassin and employee of the month before you know it!

GymWolf

A new generation of killers is ready to born.

Can't wait for the media to start attacking the game because it is literally a murder simulator...

Shit is cool AF.

splattered

God i can't wait for Xbox to support VR (I have PSVR but my whole Hitman collection is on Xbox)

This looks AWESOME!

AlexxKidd

Has VR support been confirmed for PS4? Or is it going to be PS5 only?

I haven't seen it said anywhere that it won't run on PS4, but you'd have to imagine PS5 being the real way to go here. I would like to know the differences between the two versions, because the PSVR headset has never been the problem in terms of graphical fidelity, it's always been the PS4. If they could impress visually with the PS5 version (we'd still have to deal with the Moves, no help there until PSVR 2), then that would be absolutely incredible.

Of course being Hitman there may be a DualSense option as well, but every time I've played a VR game that gave the option between DualSense and Moves I always choose Moves, because even though the tracking can be bad at times I still think they provide better VR immersion.

GrayFoxPL

*Kid in VR setup is making weird moves when dad comes in.

- What are you doing?!

- I'm drowning this whore in a pool of her own vomit.

Ez4zI4Z.gif

Romulus

Hitman in VR is a dream, but i don't think it will look bearable on a PSVR1.

As a pcvr guy too, they're really really surprised me on the ps4 pro visually.

The way they're handling physics and interactions is way more in depth than I imagined. Very interesting. I also liked the gunfights in hitman. I bet that feels ultra visceral in VR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom