• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: Firewalk’s AAA team sets its sights on creating memorable multiplayer moments for players.

ethomaz

Banned
PLU_Final_Sony_1920x1080_final.jpg

Today, we’re thrilled to announce a partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment for our new, original multiplayer game. For our team, the opportunity to create new worlds and inspire more amazing moments for players around the world is the fire and ambition that keeps us going. The PlayStation team has a deep love and respect for the medium of games, and some of the best expertise and capabilities in the world to help make big ambitions a reality.

We’re already hard at work on development and have been having a ton of fun playing our game as a team. In fact, while we continued to grow our team during this challenging last year, it was our daily online playtests that provided the most consistent point of joy and connection for our crew. The fun and laughter of playing together brought us closer, even if we were physically apart. Our goal is to be able to deliver that same joy to gamers and we can’t wait to share what we’ve been working on when the time is right.

We’re very fortunate to love what we do – making games. There’s more game-making in front of us, but in the meantime, we’ll keep playing the incredible games this industry creates and generating a few more sparks of our own.

See you out there.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Interesting for Sony to partner with a new studio.. must have liked their demo of their game in progress or something. Destiny art director seems to be the lead.

For me.. "meh, multiplayer" lol

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Who the fuck are these people? Please enjoy some select quotes from their website;

ProbablyMonsters is the first of its kind as a new category of independent gaming company. Neither publisher nor developer, we are a family of studios that create and launch original AAA games through a people-first culture.

A family that is knit with strong and compatible cultural bonds that transcend from studio culture, to games we develop, to community of fans, always setting higher bars for ourselves, our teams, our games, and our industry.

“I just love how people can go to a meeting and share candid feedback on each other’s work…I have gained a lot from these meetings.”

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Interesting for Sony to partner with a new studio.. must have liked their demo of their game in progress or something. Destiny art director seems to be the lead.

For me.. "meh, multiplayer" lol
for all the single players games they do, they do in fact need a few banger multiplayer games, hopefully TLOU2 is the beginning of great online content as well.

cormack12

Gold Member
What have they done? Their site is scarce and the probablymonsters one isn't much better. They seem to just be a support studio maybe? They're very young as well - founded in 2018. Be interesting to see what they have brought to the table.

IntentionalPun

Who the fuck are these people? Please enjoy some select quotes from their website;

ProbablyMonsters is the first of its kind as a new category of independent gaming company. Neither publisher nor developer, we are a family of studios that create and launch original AAA games through a people-first culture.

A family that is knit with strong and compatible cultural bonds that transcend from studio culture, to games we develop, to community of fans, always setting higher bars for ourselves, our teams, our games, and our industry.

“I just love how people can go to a meeting and share candid feedback on each other’s work…I have gained a lot from these meetings.”
All they mention in the article is a couple tidbits of people's experience:

Our collective leadership team is no stranger to building memorable multiplayer experiences. Ryan Ellis, our Game Director, was a Creative Director on Destiny. Elena Siegman, our Executive Producer, was a producer on Guitar Hero II, Bioshock Infinite, and multiple Destiny releases. Our deeply talented team has helped bring to life franchises like Mass Effect and Apex Legends. Combined with my own experience (and, er, thousands of hours played) on Call of Duty and Destiny, we’ve had the opportunity to deliver some of the decade’s biggest experiences to gamers – and we’ve loved it.

They don't sound particularly experienced... by "Creative Director" they mean art director, for their Game Director. Not that he couldn't direct a game.. but he has.. never actually directed a game lol. Executive Producer? Isn't that just someone who does business shit?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The future isn't female you hippie feminists. The future is multiplayer.

Sony cut ties with underperforming Japanese studios so they could spend their resources elsewhere. This is an example.

The one thing I like about Sony is that unlike MS it does not wait for E3 to reveal anything.

Former Halo & Destiny Devs 😉
Actually I was surprised. Didnt' now that a lot of people left Bungie some years ago or something.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I mean, hey, could be cool. Not really a... ton of anything to go on. But all we can do is hope for something that's unique and solid. Honestly, at this point that's all I wanna see more of. I'm tired of seeing regurgitated ideas and gameplay mechanics that are just taped together. Especially in the realm of multiplayer.

Arkam

Strange, this implies the game is not in a early state but in an actual, playable state
I mean it could easily be both. When I worked for as a Producer at a large publisher we had many developers come to us with prototypes of their multiplayer idea that they wanted us to publish. Can easily have the core mechanics and nothing else.

Dabaus

Banned
The concept art looks very sci fi/Destiny like. The director seems like he has the chops but the producer's resume seems questionable. In theory, with those headlines and the fact its a triple AAA game, this is a legit megaton in my book. What we actually see and what they make remains to be determined though.

Bryank75

Banned
What have they done? Their site is scarce and the probablymonsters one isn't much better. They seem to just be a support studio maybe? They're very young as well - founded in 2018. Be interesting to see what they have brought to the table.
I was wondering..... I had a look, team is made up of ex Halo, Destiny and Apex staff mostly. Could be very interesting. PS needs a great exclusive shooter now....Xbox has Doom and Halo plus all the multiplat stuff.
Good to see them make some move anyway.

Roufianos

I think it's good that Sony are diversifying their line up but let's just hope this is something good and not another Destruction AllStars.

Dabaus

Banned

"Harold Ryan, founder and CEO of ProbablyMonsters,...Ryan has built a lengthy résumé in the games industry over the past two decades, serving as studio head, president and CEO at Bungie from 2000 to 2016. He previously worked at Microsoft's FASA Studios and Ensemble Studios. Heading the companies' two studios are Tony Hsu, previously senior vp and general manager of the Destiny business unit at Activision, who leads Firewalk Studios; and Dave Matthews, with over 20 years experience with leading AAA teams on such franchises as God of War and Myst, heads Cauldron Studios. Former Bungie creative director Ryan Ellis and Destiny DLC story lead CJ Cowan are game directors at Firewalk and Cauldron, respectively. "​

Bryank75

Banned

"Harold Ryan, founder and CEO of ProbablyMonsters,...Ryan has built a lengthy résumé in the games industry over the past two decades, serving as studio head, president and CEO at Bungie from 2000 to 2016. He previously worked at Microsoft's FASA Studios and Ensemble Studios. Heading the companies' two studios are Tony Hsu, previously senior vp and general manager of the Destiny business unit at Activision, who leads Firewalk Studios; and Dave Matthews, with over 20 years experience with leading AAA teams on such franchises as God of War and Myst, heads Cauldron Studios. Former Bungie creative director Ryan Ellis and Destiny DLC story lead CJ Cowan are game directors at Firewalk and Cauldron, respectively. "​

I seem to remember Ryan Ellis from the Bungie streams I think...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well, would you look at that....right on the heels of Sony trying to have more exclusives than ever before....

Interesting.

I think it's good that Sony are diversifying their line up but let's just hope this is something good and not another Destruction AllStars.
While true, it shows Sony is still trying with it.

And still investing in exclusives.

Even if Destruction All Stars isnt what they wanted to happen, its still an exclusive they put out there. Hopefully they can get this game some more traction. I also cant get a match as easy anymore.

I like the game tho regardless.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I swear I chatted with these guys, and played their game at PAX in 2018.

It was pretty cool..you flew around in ships in a giant courtyard style map, had bombs and all kinds of gadgets.

Too much for my old man brain to handle, but you kids might like it.

edit: It was 2019..and.. I really do think it was them. They founded in 2016, but announced their existence in October 2019. The game I played at PAX had a lowkey booth, they didn't really say who they were other than "we are some of the original Destiny creators".. and I googled the game a year later and couldn't find anything.

My wife might remember the name of the game, and might have some pics.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Platform exclusive is how you keep your multiplayer playerbase small to start and dwindle to an ember quickly. If MAG was multiplatform we'd probably have seen a sequel. How about all those lousy Hawk AMAZING games? For some reason Sony can't keep a playerbase on these things.

I enjoyed Warhawk for the half year that it had populated servers.

Starhawk was a decent game that nobody played.

MAG was even fun.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Platform exclusive is how you keep your multiplayer playerbase small to start and dwindle to an ember quickly. If MAG was multiplatform we'd probably have seen a sequel. How about all those lousy Hawk AMAZING games? For some reason Sony can't keep a playerbase on these things.

I enjoyed Warhawk for the half year that it had populated servers.

Starhawk was a decent game that nobody played.

MAG was even fun.

None of that happened on Jim Ryan's watch.

Also, there's a long history of single platform exclusive multiplayer games that do extremely well.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I bet real fans call him Dave

Top Bottom